Options

Asking For A Raise

2»

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

RKCNDY said:

I would have walked in, with an empty glass and said..."uh, I like my glass to be full"

Ok, bad joke. Hope you get what you believe you are worth.

My state has the highest minimum wage, and the city of Seattle just approved the $15/hr pay rate (it's not an instant $15, it's a gradual pay increase over a period of 4 years or something). So even though I only work part time, I make a decent amount per hour. Actually making more per hour now, than I was when I worked at the clinic full time and did 4 different separate functions.

i thought you were self employed?

i've never had to do this as i've always been in sales so it's always been commission based.

what do you do, empty?
    This is me -- in sales you have the chance to give yourself a raise every year. If you don't, that is on you. (If your company is not set up to allow this you should sell yourself better -- go and get a better job with a better company.) I enjoy many things about hiring people from other corporate positions to enter sales but one of the things I abhor is the annual requests for raises. I respect that they ask and always take the time to walk through how they can see an increase in their pay (specific to their prospects, clients, etc) but I have some people ask again the next year. I have no issue mentoring, in fact I enjoy it, but they pretend to be shocked when I tell them "no, we are not increasing your base...likely, ever...you have a reoccurring commission structure & a bonus plan."
    Seriously, finding good people is tough to do.
    On a plane tomorrow to Atlanta for a few days and part of my visit is to conduct 2nd interviews with 3 candidates. Hope they make my decisions tough!

EG, glad you asked (this is key from someone who has directed a number of divisions/lots of employees) & equally glad they already were putting a request in for you. Good luck!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

RKCNDY said:

I would have walked in, with an empty glass and said..."uh, I like my glass to be full"

Ok, bad joke. Hope you get what you believe you are worth.

My state has the highest minimum wage, and the city of Seattle just approved the $15/hr pay rate (it's not an instant $15, it's a gradual pay increase over a period of 4 years or something). So even though I only work part time, I make a decent amount per hour. Actually making more per hour now, than I was when I worked at the clinic full time and did 4 different separate functions.

i thought you were self employed?

i've never had to do this as i've always been in sales so it's always been commission based.

what do you do, empty?
    Empty is a computer programmer
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

This is me -- in sales you have the chance to give yourself a raise every year. If you don't, that is on you. (If your company is not set up to allow this you should sell yourself better -- go and get a better job with a better company.) I enjoy many things about hiring people from other corporate positions to enter sales but one of the things I abhor is the annual requests for raises. I respect that they ask and always take the time to walk through how they can see an increase in their pay (specific to their prospects, clients, etc) but I have some people ask again the next year. I have no issue mentoring, in fact I enjoy it, but they pretend to be shocked when I tell them "no, we are not increasing your base...likely, ever...you have a reoccurring commission structure & a bonus plan."
    On a plane tomorrow to Atlanta for a few days and part of my visit is to conduct 2nd interviews with 3 candidates. Hope they make my decisions tough!

EG, glad you asked (this is key from someone who has directed a number of divisions/lots of employees) & equally glad they already were putting a request in for you. Good luck!

To the bolded part...WHY? I've seen it within our company, with a couple of new hires.

Sub-par with attitude to boot.

Just don't get it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited April 2015
    hedonist said:

To the bolded part...WHY? I've seen it within our company, with a couple of new hires.

Just don't get it.
    Would be easy to say it is a generational thing, that people today too often want more and expect to do less....and while I do think that is the case, what I actually think makes this most difficult? People are getting dumber. Every, single day. I know how that sounds but I really do believe it.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options

hedonist said:

Just don't get it.
    Would be easy to say it is a generational thing, that people today too often want more and expect to do less....and while I do think that is the case, what I actually think is makes this most difficult? People are getting dumber. Every, single day. I know how that sounds but I really do believe it.
    It is an absolute fact people are getting dumber. Need proof? Sit back and look around
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

It is an absolute fact people are getting dumber. Need proof? Sit back and look around

People no longer 'think', they just 'do'. They are failing to think of " what would happen if I did 'this and this', what would the outcome be?"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Yes and yes and yes. Lack of forethought, of consequences? I wonder if the quick-fix of Facebook and Twitter and Twatter have contributed to this.

(I also worry for the little ones who are growing up with the expectation that their every move will be posted, shared and liked)
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    People are getting stupider. It took me a long time to realize that the average person now a days is an idiot. We just got rid of an intern. He had is phone in his hand all day. He would surf/post on it while you were talking to him about what he needs to go do. One day I asked him why he is always looking at his phone and found out he always has these girls sending him nudes via snap chat. Kids are over stimulated and sexulized to where they are worthless as employees. They all think they should start as the CEO of the company and forget you have to work hard to move up.

But its not just the kids. Going home the speed limit is 45 and I'm always passing people doing 50-53. Then it drops to 35 and I noticed those people continue doing 45 and start catching up to me. Then it drops to 25 and all of a sudden I have these idiots honking at me while I am doing 30. They never adjusted their speeds or didn't see/care that the limit dropped.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    For Empty! (I know it has nothing to do with anything but what the hell =) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8hKo42x-eQ
  • Options
    :lol: fuckin' Keith

I think it's our mission to randomly insert Who (Pete) vids into threads randomly.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    And so I shall when the times seems right =)

I'm on the loveliest Who roll at the moment, Empty. Music makes the back pain just fade away....

(ps - fucking Entwistle!)

Cheers to ya.
  • Options
    But its not just the kids. Going home the speed limit is 45 and I'm always passing people doing 50-53. Then it drops to 35 and I noticed those people continue doing 45 and start catching up to me. Then it drops to 25 and all of a sudden I have these idiots honking at me while I am doing 30. They never adjusted their speeds or didn't see/care that the limit dropped.
    ^^ I agree that it is not just kids. 2 guys that worked for me for the past few years left in the past 2 months (one was gently pushed out, the other guy left to go back to a more consistent, less-stressful, job) -- both were north of 50 years old and both expected far more to be done for them than they wanted to do for themselves. The word 'entitled' for sure comes to mind. One of them was learning (slowly) but found the effort required to get paid like a champ too taxing...the other one was just dumb and made the same mistakes over and over. They both made very good money the last few years and got totally lazy.
    Were they nice guys? Yes, for sure. Did they snap chat nudie pics while I spoke with them? :) No, they did not. But they felt like they should hold ground or be given more even because of what they did in the past.
    Life doesn't work that way and those of us who work hard understand this.

Work hard, play hard. Don't be an asshole.
    Pretty much sums it up right there.

If you feel like you deserve a raise, go and ask for one. If the boss tells you no and you truly feel like you deserve it, start looking for another job right away. (Don't quit until you have one that provides better options, but start looking right away.)
  • Options
    Update:

I head to my supervisor's office Friday and I ask for a status on the paperwork.

"Shut the door. It's been declined. I don't know why, feel free to sit down with the VP."

We talk a bit. I act cool with it, but I'm pretty pissed.

I walk into the VPs office today and politely ask "I'm curious as to why my raise was declined and what can I do more to earn one?" I hope I said that because I thought "fuck this, fuck that, I'm out of here"

He says "it hasn't been denied, I'm reviewing them". He knows I deserve one and he'll keep me posted

What in the hell is going on here?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I hope this comes through for you, Empty. If not, set fire to the place.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    I can think of a few different detailed scenarios but none are going to make you feel any better. Sounds like at best they are disorganized and not on the same page and you still have a shot. At worst one or the both of them are being less than truthful.
    I am a pushy bastard so I likely would have asked today why the wires are crossed and you were told it was denied, sent to him to discuss. Also, when the review would be completed.
    Maybe he is going to fire your supervisor, lol.

Sucks.
    The worst thing from an executive standpoint I could think to do in such a case is be vague with your employee - and it sounds like this is what they have done to you. Sorry dude.
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

I hope this comes through for you, Empty. If not, set fire to the place.

Degenerates unite!!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

I can think of a few different detailed scenarios but none are going to make you feel any better. Sounds like at best they are disorganized and not on the same page and you still have a shot. At worst one or the both of them are being less than truthful.
    I am a pushy bastard so I likely would have asked today why the wires are crossed and you were told it was denied, sent to him to discuss. Also, when the review would be completed.
    Maybe he is going to fire your supervisor, lol.

Sucks.
    The worst thing from an executive standpoint I could think to do in such a case is be vague with your employee - and it sounds like this is what they have done to you. Sorry dude.

My boss is away from his desk, I'll get to the bottom of this. The VP did explain he is in talks with HR and how that's a pain. In my opinion, it's going through.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Good for you for pursuing this with patience and a level head, Empty! Most employers worth their salt will want to adequately compensate those who are worth it. It's a wise investment.
  • Options
    Don't let them take your red stapler. Do you need a degenerate picket line? They will get tired of all the puke/poop, empty beer cans and a slew of stoners sitting on their lawn quickly.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    cdysinge said:

Don't let them take your red stapler. Do you need a degenerate picket line? They will get tired of all the puke/poop, empty beer cans and a slew of stoners sitting on their lawn quickly.

That would be a great way to kick off Degenerate-palooza. :naughty:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    I am getting a 10% raise May 2nd. At least that is the rumor.

Thrilled!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254

Thrilled!

Sweet!
    Drinks are on Speedy! hahaha
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Thrilled!

Sweet!
    Drinks are on Speedy! hahaha
    Been a while since we have seen a raise. But I had faith in my owner, and trusted him when he said he will take care of us. I had a couple co-workers, actually good friends of mine, bail out a year ago, and move to a union trucking company. They are now making $4 less an hour, not getting the overtime I am getting, and had to work a full year just to get 1 weeks vacation.

I tried to stop them, and they wouldn't listen.

They would both be sitting on 3 weeks vacation, a weeks worth of sick days, and be making more money.

The trucking industry is crap as far as sick days, and vacation time. It just is. Yet if you can just stay at one place for a short 5 years, it all takes care of itself.
  • Options

Thrilled!

Put that 10% on a horse in their Derby and turn that 10% into a bigger number :lol:

Hope the rumor is true
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

Thrilled!

Put that 10% on a horse in their Derby and turn that 10% into a bigger number :lol:

Hope the rumor is true
    The rumor is true. I talked to Mr. Safety Boss, or whatever the fuck his title is. May 2nd we get our raises.

And you are DAMN RIGHT I will be betting on the Derby!
    I wasn't that far off last year. My horse ran like a fool leaving the gate, ran himself out, and pretty damned sure he finished dead last. But they sat his ass out of the Preakness, I POUNDED him in the Belmont, and I walked away a happy camper!

Actually that was 2 years ago. Last year was California Chrome.

2 years ago, I also had the 30-1 shot WINNER in the Oaks Race the day before the Derby!
    Had the exacta, and the trifecta!

WOO HOOO!!!!!
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Best way to get a raise is usually to change jobs. I just went through this six months ago. I'm in sales, so I am mostly commission based like others have mentioned. Once I had a new job offer in hand, I went to my existing employer and asked them to increase my commission rate...told them I was leaving if they didn't comply (I wanted to leave anyway as things had gotten stale for me after being with them for four years). They told me they could not give me the increase I was looking for, so I told them I was submitting my resignation.

New job was a huge pay raise for me. More perks and benefits, less work and BS to manage. It's been glorious and empowering.

I absolutely love what I do for a living....

I think everyone should look for a new job every three years or so. Even if you don't have the intention of changing jobs, it's good to have an idea of what else is out there and how much your experience is worth. This knowledge definitely gives you negotiating power if you're planning to make a push for a raise.

Anyway, best of luck...hope things work out for you
  • Options

Thrilled!

Hope the rumor is true
    But they sat his ass out of the Preakness, I POUNDED him in the Belmont

WOO HOOO!!!!!
    That could be really taken out of context.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    cdysinge said:

Thrilled!

Hope the rumor is true
    But they sat his ass out of the Preakness, I POUNDED him in the Belmont

WOO HOOO!!!!!
    That could be really taken out of context.

Wow....
    Hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    The Fixer said:

Best way to get a raise is usually to change jobs. I just went through this six months ago. I'm in sales, so I am mostly commission based like others have mentioned. Once I had a new job offer in hand, I went to my existing employer and asked them to increase my commission rate...told them I was leaving if they didn't comply (I wanted to leave anyway as things had gotten stale for me after being with them for four years). They told me they could not give me the increase I was looking for, so I told them I was submitting my resignation.

New job was a huge pay raise for me. More perks and benefits, less work and BS to manage. It's been glorious and empowering.

I think everyone should look for a new job every three years or so. Even if you don't have the intention of changing jobs, it's good to have an idea of what else is out there and how much your experience is worth. This knowledge definitely gives you negotiating power if you're planning to make a push for a raise.

Yeah, I was at my last company for 6.5 years. We got "raises" and bonuses every year and I was always pumped about it...even if it was small.
    Started with my new company in December. I remember during the hiring process, they were like "So, how much would you be asking for?" I was like "Well, I'm happy at what I was getting paid before, so whatever..." I told them and they go "Wait, with you're experience, you're only getting that?!? Well, we can get you about $10-12k more a year than that"

So yeah, sometimes it helps to stick it out, but for me....and I knew I was low-balled...it took another opportunity for me to change things up. And man...I'm so glad I did! Better money, better company, better pretty much everything!
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    mca47 said:

The Fixer said:

Yeah, I was at my last company for 6.5 years. We got "raises" and bonuses every year and I was always pumped about it...even if it was small.
    Started with my new company in December. I remember during the hiring process, they were like "So, how much would you be asking for?" I was like "Well, I'm happy at what I was getting paid before, so whatever..." I told them and they go "Wait, with you're experience, you're only getting that?!? Well, we can get you about $10-12k more a year than that"

So yeah, sometimes it helps to stick it out, but for me....and I knew I was low-balled...it took another opportunity for me to change things up. And man...I'm so glad I did! Better money, better company, better pretty much everything!
    Nice. most companies have zero loyalty so I don't know why employees do. the longer you stay somewhere the more they think they can take advantage of you in terms of what they pay you. If you're not re-evaluating your job situation every few years, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Like you mentioned, the grass can definitely be greener...and so can your bank accounts. Haha