Ratio of males to females on the PJ Forum

deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Because I keep being referred to as a "dude," I will clarify that I am not a "dude." It happens here on a regular basis. No, I'm not offended. I just find it a bit odd.

If you are a female on the forum, do you find that other people here naturally assume that you are a male? If you are a male, why would you assume that someone here is a male? (And no, I'm not saying that every man here assumes that everyone else here is a man. I'm trying to clarify and it's getting wordy.)

Pearl Jam tends to draw a crowd of men and women alike. They aren't like Rush with a predominantly male fan base. I just wondered. Ladies, is it just me?

Thanks!

Amy
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
Post edited by deadendp on
Tagged:

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Amy, it's just you. Haha joking. I'm not sure if anyone here has mistaken myself as a man - but I suppose I am just as guilty of first leaning towards a man....no idea why. But that's not my first thought when reading posts lol "what a manly comment" hah.

Definitely interesting - wonder what the ratio is?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I had you as a dude. (Sorry) I generally don't throw "dude", "bro", or any other word out unless I'm sure but it has happened.

As to why...I don't know. Note: I had a long type up trying to explain but deleted it. It didn't make any sense.

My favorite though was meeting people in person in Chicago.
    "Hi I'm so and so, I'm ____ on the boards".
    "Whoa!! You're a girl?!?!"

The face to face ones are the best :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Texas Posts: 765
    edited March 2015
    By my old name everyone assumed I was a guy (drinkbigredinstead) but I guess now because my picture is a bit more feminine I don't get that as much.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    It's not just you, Amy. I used to get that a lot.
    ELITIST FUK
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    I imagine it stems from the fact that the average PJ show is a serious sausage fest.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I think I automatically assume everyone is male - unless the name or photo is super female. I don't know why. Some people think I'm male from my weird name and picture. (I'm female.)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    deadendp said:

Because I keep being referred to as a "dude," I will clarify that I am not a "dude." It happens here on a regular basis. No, I'm not offended. I just find it a bit odd.

If you are a female on the forum, do you find that other people here naturally assume that you are a male? If you are a male, why would you assume that someone here is a male? (And no, I'm not saying that every man here assumes that everyone else here is a man. I'm trying to clarify and it's getting wordy.)

Pearl Jam tends to draw a crowd of men and women alike. They aren't like Rush with a predominantly male fan base. I just wondered. Ladies, is it just me?

Thanks!

Amy

for the record, Amy, I thought you were a dude. Isn't everyone in NE Ohio a dude?

I had the same misconception about shortstack.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    imalive said:

deadendp said:

Thanks!

Amy

for the record, Amy, I thought you were a dude. Isn't everyone in NE Ohio a dude?

I had the same misconception about shortstack.

What's funny is that though it doesn't show it in the thumbnail, if you click on the avatar, I'm right there. Not the greatest photo because how can you back up in the pit for a photo? My husband did the best he could do.

I'm fairly short with long curly brown hair and yes-- very much a female. ;) Northeast Ohio probably seems like it's only guys because it's been so freakin' cold and, well, sometimes we ladies hole up for the winter.

You know, I've always thought of shortstack as a female.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited March 2015
    Enkidu said:

I think I automatically assume everyone is male - unless the name or photo is super female. I don't know why. Some people think I'm male from my weird name and picture. (I'm female.)

It has been engrained in our culture for a long time. How many people here still say "you guys" when referring to a group that includes females?
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited March 2015
    I wonder how many procent that's female on the forum?
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    People thought I was a dude for a long time...then when people meet me, they are even more shocked. *willshrug*

For some reason, I always thought Enkidu was a girl. Amy, I did tag you a a guy, your screen name is a little masculine.

As a side note, the fact that Enkidu and Poncier both have gray-ish avatars, and their posts are together, and I have 'lights down'...as I was scrolling and reading answers, I saw Poncier's avatar, then Enkidu's post and thought Ponc said he was a female and was totally confused for a second.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2015
    Yes, people just assume I'm a guy until they somehow find out otherwise. I think it's just a default assumption for a lot of people, although a few have said that I actually specifically come off as a dude.... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess fine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    RKCNDY said:

People thought I was a dude for a long time...then when people meet me, they are even more shocked. *willshrug*

For some reason, I always thought Enkidu was a girl. Amy, I did tag you a a guy, your screen name is a little masculine.

As a side note, the fact that Enkidu and Poncier both have gray-ish avatars, and their posts are together, and I have 'lights down'...as I was scrolling and reading answers, I saw Poncier's avatar, then Enkidu's post and thought Ponc said he was a female and was totally confused for a second.

I might have posted this before, but it was probably years before I figured out RKCNDY was rock candy.
    Enkidu said:

I might have posted this before, but it was probably years before I figured out RKCNDY was rock candy.

I know some people gave me the "WTF kinda name is THAT?!!?!?"
    After the PJ20 book came out several people pointed out "I know where you got your name!"

so...for those that don't know:

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

Honestly, I go by something completely different in other forms of social media. I don't know what made me use this old one here, but I'll give you a story you didn't ask for. Deadendp comes from the old Gateway days when they would only allow 8 letters for the email name. My studio name out of college was Dead End Press.

Why Dead End Press?

Well, I'm not a yes woman. (Probably why I get the "dude" comment on here a lot.) I did my junior review and because I didn't kiss the ass of the prof who thought that he was better than God (or whatever your chosen religious figure is), but had the backing of my advisor, I failed my review. I wasn't going to conform and do what this prof wanted me to do because dammit, I was in art school and isn't art school about thinking OUTSIDE of the box? (He really was an ass and even my advisor, my printmaking prof for 5 years, said that.) I changed my degree to Bachelor of Arts with a concentration in Printmaking instead of Bachelor of Fine Arts. I know many artists without a degree at all and I didn't see that one letter would make a difference if it meant that I had to sell my soul to Paul O. Rrrr. The whole ordeal made me angry and I felt that I had hit-- you guessed it-- a dead end of sorts.

And now, I live on a dead end street. So, though the studio name has changed, it would still very much apply. Just in a different way. ;)
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I've actually had the same experience, except I'm a dude, lol. Not sure what people assume of me based on my sceen name and pic, but in PMs I generally sign with my "real" name, Sandy (short for Alexander), which has led to me being called "a fair lady" in one instance, lol. I do appreciate that both sides can just laugh it off when clarification occurs, lol.
    Going by Sandy I've had to put up with either "That's a girl's name." or "Isn't that (little orphan) Annie's dog?" comments my whole life, and I've also got a last name that lends itself easily to mispronunciation, so I'm pretty used to it by now, lol.
    That said, I don't generally worry about a given poster's gender, and will key in more to what they're saying versus who they are. I suppose if I was on here looking for a date I might look at things a bit differently though, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I like this thread!

I've been mistaken here for a guy a few times, but it's no biggie. More interesting to figure out what, if anything, gave off that impression. And I've certainly done the same toward others here.

I guess it's some strange melange of username, avatar, tone, words, etc.
    edited March 2015
    deadendp said:

Honestly, I go by something completely different in other forms of social media. I don't know what made me use this old one here, but I'll give you a story you didn't ask for. Deadendp comes from the old Gateway days when they would only allow 8 letters for the email name. My studio name out of college was Dead End Press.

Why Dead End Press?

Well, I'm not a yes woman. (Probably why I get the "dude" comment on here a lot.) I did my junior review and because I didn't kiss the ass of the prof who thought that he was better than God (or whatever your chosen religious figure is), but had the backing of my advisor, I failed my review. I wasn't going to conform and do what this prof wanted me to do because dammit, I was in art school and isn't art school about thinking OUTSIDE of the box? (He really was an ass and even my advisor, my printmaking prof for 5 years, said that.) I changed my degree to Bachelor of Arts with a concentration in Printmaking instead of Bachelor of Fine Arts. I know many artists without a degree at all and I didn't see that one letter would make a difference if it meant that I had to sell my soul to Paul O. Rrrr. The whole ordeal made me angry and I felt that I had hit-- you guessed it-- a dead end of sorts.

And now, I live on a dead end street. So, though the studio name has changed, it would still very much apply. Just in a different way. ;)

That's a cool story...and I agree that as an artist, you shouldn't be confined to a certain 'mold' per say.

I go by other names on other boards and forums too.

Darth, I don't see you around very much, so I haven't formed any sort of ideas about you. Yes, 'Sandy' is generally a female geared name, but I've met a Courtney, Alexis, and Tracy...all males. I won't assume someone's gender until I meet them, and even then, you never know...

- Christopher McCandless
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    It is interesting how you think you have a sense of who people are in the real world and then see how that holds up when you meet. I've met a few of you and enjoy your company even more in person!

I don't think I've ever been mistaken for a guy. My username is quite gender specific.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

Why Dead End Press?

That's a cool story...and I agree that as an artist, you shouldn't be confined to a certain 'mold' per say.

Darth, I don't see you around very much, so I haven't formed any sort of ideas about you. Yes, 'Sandy' is generally a female geared name, but I've met a Courtney, Alexis, and Tracy...all males. I won't assume someone's gender until I meet them, and even then, you never know...
    I once knew a guy named Hillary. That is a name I've never heard as a guy's name since then.
    RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

Yeah, I'm still a relative newbie here, having only officially joined last November (my fandom does go back to near the beginning though, 1991, lol). As a youth I'd thought about getting away from Sandy due to teasing and so on, but ultimately decided that it was going to be too much of a pain. It probably helped me as a teen meeting a grown man whose name was Kim, lol. As an adult, I just don't care, lol, if someone's going to make those types of comments, it says far more about them than it ever will me.

edited March 2015

RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

Yeah, I'm still a relative newbie here, having only officially joined last November (my fandom does go back to near the beginning though, 1991, lol). As a youth I'd thought about getting away from Sandy due to teasing and so on, but ultimately decided that it was going to be too much of a pain. It probably helped me as a teen meeting a grown man whose name was Kim, lol. As an adult, I just don't care, lol, if someone's going to make those types of comments, it says far more about them than it ever will me.
    I also know a guy by the name of Kim. He and his wife own a tree farm in the valley.

And though I'm relatively new around here, I'm with you-- a fan from the beginning. Glad to have you here!

And for whatever it is worth, the forum is screwed up again. My words shouldn't look like you wrote them. Rrr.
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Don't forget about Marion Morrison! I bet no one gave him shit, either.
    It may have been my bad, I tried editing what I was quoting to just keep the relevant bit, I guess from now on I'll just leave the whole thing in place, lol.
    Glad to be here, I've spent most of my fandom more or less in isolation, having only know a couple people I'd describe as fans, it's nice to feel more a part of the PJ community, I have to say.

It may have been my bad, I tried editing what I was quoting to just keep the relevant bit, I guess from now on I'll just leave the whole thing in place, lol.
    Glad to be here, I've spent most of my fandom more or less in isolation, having only know a couple people I'd describe as fans, it's nice to feel more a part of the PJ community, I have to say.

The quote function is off from time to time. Probably not you at all.

Happy to have you around!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    hedonist said:

Don't forget about Marion Morrison! I bet no one gave him shit, either.

I read once that he said he never got used to being called John. That's why he used his childhood nickname of Duke.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Welcome!
    ELITIST FUK
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I am a female, and yes, that's why I put what I did in my signature. Doesn't help my name is Sam either, though!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Welcome aboard, place is full of degenerates. Just saying.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

I like this thread!

I've been mistaken here for a guy a few times, but it's no biggie. More interesting to figure out what, if anything, gave off that impression. And I've certainly done the same toward others here.

I guess it's some strange melange of username, avatar, tone, words, etc.

Who coulda made that mistake Hedo?Your pretty obvious.Just sayin.
    Maybe it's just me but I think it's pretty easy after reading a post or 2 to see who falls where.Except for Gambs,he's like a bearded circus lady.