*** Memphis Fanviews Here 10/14/14 ***

Comments

• aumfcaumfc Posts: 85
    edited October 2014
    maverick said:

87 shows and this is my first fan view...
    During Porch Ed left the stage on Stones side and shook hands with people on the rail walking towards Mike's side. When he got to me, he grabbed my hand and held on longer. What happened then was unlike anything I've ever experienced! Ed climbed the rail to the top (not the step below) and stood immediately over me. (Yes, I have seen this happen often, but he's never stood practically on top of me!). My friend Richard held his left hand while Ed held the mic in his right. I held both legs up and tried to keep him upright, with Pete's help from behind him. Ed was leaning hard and it was just such a cool thing to experience. I'm hoping video exists of this. Please send me a PM if you have a picture or short video.

Decent photo my gf was able to get.

photo 20141014_222100.jpg
  • We had such an amazing time at the show! We met so many nice people-- seriously, PJ fans are the best! Like most everyone else said, I wouldn't have thought Ed was sick if he hadn't mentioned it. I felt like the guys were on fire and gave it their all. This was a super special show for me for a couple of reasons. One of my dearest friends, who I haven't seen in over 10 years (we live on opposite coasts) met me in Tupelo, MS, and we drove up to Memphis together. We have shared a mutual love for PJ for almost 20 years, so to be able to celebrate seeing her AND Pearl Jam was almost too much to handle. Then, her close friend who happens to work for the band, and is just an all around super awesome guy, hooked us up with backstage passes and we got to watch the show from the side of the stage (Mike's side) which was unfreakingbelieveable. To see the energy and passion that he, and all the other guys bring to the stage from such an unique perspective was totally overwhelming and magical! I was able score a set list, and she got a tambourine, which was just the cherry on top of the most perfect night ever!
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there....

9b62a062-ff5e-4ae3-9ff8-6d47ef18c764_zps86ddfa45.jpg
  • aumfcaumfc Posts: 85
    Awesome pictures from the side of the stage! That's so cool.

Your last photo reminded me, I got two of Mike's picks at different times but they both have the helicopter on them. I was wondering if anyone has a duplicate of another pick they would be willing to trade?
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Eddie in the crowd during Porch... I still can't believe I held onto his hand... I didn't think to take the video till later in the moment... I actually held his other hand a lot longer, but this is good enough... Im sure there is other video of it somewhere... Such a special PJ memory for me... I was the guy in the UVA hat and black shirt so if you were there in the ga line early you probably saw me and my cousin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=qDSriFmE56k&rdm=1a9d2bvq&client=mv-googl&app=desktop
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443
    edited October 2014
    Random thoughts -
    Mike - played insanely well - literally every solo was outstanding. NAIS and Garden especially for me.
    The jams in Porch and RVM - I had a couple beers, but if I remember right, the jams were a little tighter than usual and Matt stayed in half-time for only about half as long as he usually does. I liked this. I like the jams, but sometimes they go on and on. I dig the shorter, tighter jams.
    Wash was cool, but I got really fired up when they hit Why Go just four songs in - crowd definitely seemed to come alive during this one.
    Garden - first time in 29 shows I've seen the true version of this song - in '06 they played the modified intro but seeing it in its original format was definitely my favorite song of the night.
    Jeff and Mike switching guitar/bass during RITFW was very cool
    As others have pointed out, Mike and Boom trading during Crazy Mary was excellent - it's worth pointing out again. Both guys played their asses off.
    A little surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that there was no Elvis reference - Vegas 06, they did Little Sister as a tribute to The King, but nothing tonight.
    Breath - Holy shit, that was a surprise and loved the crowd singalong especially during the "If I knew where it was... I would take you there... there's much more than THIS!!!" part - awesome group energy
    I worship Matt, but I wish they would slow the tempo down on Even Flow - all the feel and groove has been taken out of that song, which is a shame. Just my opinion - don't hate.
    Not that they should have rolled out the red carpet, but if Krusen was actually there, I thought the way they referenced him was a little short and somewhat disrespectful. Especially on a night where they played 7 of the 11 tracks from the only record he ever played on. Didn't expect him to get onstage or anything, but they were just kind of like "yeah, yeah, Dave Krusen's here... " and moved on. He's a part of their history - just found that a bit surprising too. Then again, maybe he wasn't actually there. I'd hate to see what would happen if Dave A. showed up for a show... :)
    No Backspacer tracks gets a thumbs up from me - although since this was my first time seeing PJ with my wife, I would have liked Just Breathe. Oh well, next time.
    Alone - awesome, first time seeing it, but they cut the last verse out. Still a great song to hear and they rocked it.
    Wishlist, Black, NAIS, DTE - all awesome, as they always are
    Come Back brought a couple tears to the eye - I just love that fucking song and every time Ed sings it, you can tell he still feels those lyrics. The cameras kept showing girls during that song who all had tears in their eyes too. My wife called me a pussy, but in a loving way... haha, that's why I love her.
    Other than Garden, my favorite moment was kicking off the 2nd encore with Once - I love that intro from Stone and they nailed the song. That one is ALWAYS a highlight.

Last few thoughts - loved the Memphis t-shirt, sticker and poster. Worth waiting in line at the merch tent for a couple hours so I didn't have to worry about it when the doors opened.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I worry about Ed grabbing people's phones and singing into them or taking pictures. If you don't want shit thrown at you on stage like in Memphis where it pissed him off, don't encourage the behavior. Just sing and perform. I know it's an uber-cool moment for that one fan - I do get it and I think it's cool for them. Seriously. But at the same time, it distracts me and I would bet more than a few of the other 20,000 people there when Ed seems more focused on the phone than staying connected to the crowd. This will only get worse as time goes on and more and more people try and get their 'me' moment by holding their phones up, throwing them at him, along with all the hats and shit - I get it, you're trying to make a connection, but come on. We're there for the band and to hear them perform, not to make sure Ed knows "hey, I like the Cubs too!!!". I know, I know. I'm a grumpy fucker. e
    Now for the hypocrisy - whoever gave Jeff the Luv Co shirt to wear during RITFW - well done. That didn't seem like a "me" moment - in fact brought back memories of Stone wearing that shirt in early pics and videos from the band.
    Ed's Nudedragons shirt was cool too.

No Corduroy tonight! And I didn't even really miss it...

I've seen this band many times, but Memphis was truly a standout. Thank you to the whole band and all fellow Jammers for making this a great night!
    Post edited by iamrockmusic on
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    The only Elvis reference was when he sang in the Elvis voice while wearing the aviator glasses. And I have forgotten what song it was.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Had a blast always do! Felt like Eddie was sick and wasn't really into the show though. We all get sick I totally understand. Glad he's well tonight for Detroit and they are getting the show I thought Memphis would get. Don't get me wrong all PJ shows are great I've been to many but Eddies illness kept him from enjoying himself in my opinion. Great people all around me in the pit can't wait till I get to see PJ again next year or the year after.
    Congrats Detroit!!!
  • Anybody get a picture of Ed wearing those Gold Elvis sunglasses? I need a copy of that! :)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die.
    The in-between is mine.

09/16/95 Austin, TX
    10/17/00 Dallas, TX
    05/16/06 Chicago, IL
    09/22/12 Atlanta, GA
    11/15/13 Dallas, TX
    10/14/14 Memphis, TN
    04/26/16 Lexington, KY
    08/13/18 Missoula, MT
    08/20/18 Chicago, IL
    09/18/22 St. Louis, MO
    08/31/23 St. Paul, MN
    09/05/23 Chicago, IL
    09/07/23 Chicago, IL

If I knew where it was, I would take you there....

9b62a062-ff5e-4ae3-9ff8-6d47ef18c764_zps86ddfa45.jpg
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    /|\ NICE photo! /|\
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Has there been a show in the last decade with so many Ten "era" tracks? Wash, Why Go, Even Flow, Garden, Alone, Black, Breath, Porch, Once, Crazy Mary, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    I took one short video of the show and ended up catching the "incident" lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJbIQChPK6o
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Random thoughts -
    Mike - played insanely well - literally every solo was outstanding. NAIS and Garden especially for me.
    The jams in Porch and RVM - I had a couple beers, but if I remember right, the jams were a little tighter than usual and Matt stayed in half-time for only about half as long as he usually does. I liked this. I like the jams, but sometimes they go on and on. I dig the shorter, tighter jams.
    Wash was cool, but I got really fired up when they hit Why Go just four songs in - crowd definitely seemed to come alive during this one.
    Garden - first time in 29 shows I've seen the true version of this song - in '06 they played the modified intro but seeing it in its original format was definitely my favorite song of the night.
    Jeff and Mike switching guitar/bass during RITFW was very cool
    As others have pointed out, Mike and Boom trading during Crazy Mary was excellent - it's worth pointing out again. Both guys played their asses off.
    A little surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that there was no Elvis reference - Vegas 06, they did Little Sister as a tribute to The King, but nothing tonight.
    Breath - Holy shit, that was a surprise and loved the crowd singalong especially during the "If I knew where it was... I would take you there... there's much more than THIS!!!" part - awesome group energy
    I worship Matt, but I wish they would slow the tempo down on Even Flow - all the feel and groove has been taken out of that song, which is a shame. Just my opinion - don't hate.
    Not that they should have rolled out the red carpet, but if Krusen was actually there, I thought the way they referenced him was a little short and somewhat disrespectful. Especially on a night where they played 7 of the 11 tracks from the only record he ever played on. Didn't expect him to get onstage or anything, but they were just kind of like "yeah, yeah, Dave Krusen's here... " and moved on. He's a part of their history - just found that a bit surprising too. Then again, maybe he wasn't actually there. I'd hate to see what would happen if Dave A. showed up for a show... :)
    No Backspacer tracks gets a thumbs up from me - although since this was my first time seeing PJ with my wife, I would have liked Just Breathe. Oh well, next time.
    Alone - awesome, first time seeing it, but they cut the last verse out. Still a great song to hear and they rocked it.
    Wishlist, Black, NAIS, DTE - all awesome, as they always are
    Come Back brought a couple tears to the eye - I just love that fucking song and every time Ed sings it, you can tell he still feels those lyrics. The cameras kept showing girls during that song who all had tears in their eyes too. My wife called me a pussy, but in a loving way... haha, that's why I love her.
    Other than Garden, my favorite moment was kicking off the 2nd encore with Once - I love that intro from Stone and they nailed the song. That one is ALWAYS a highlight.

Last few thoughts - loved the Memphis t-shirt, sticker and poster. Worth waiting in line at the merch tent for a couple hours so I didn't have to worry about it when the doors opened.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I worry about Ed grabbing people's phones and singing into them or taking pictures. If you don't want shit thrown at you on stage like in Memphis where it pissed him off, don't encourage the behavior. Just sing and perform. I know it's an uber-cool moment for that one fan - I do get it and I think it's cool for them. Seriously. But at the same time, it distracts me and I would bet more than a few of the other 20,000 people there when Ed seems more focused on the phone than staying connected to the crowd. This will only get worse as time goes on and more and more people try and get their 'me' moment by holding their phones up, throwing them at him, along with all the hats and shit - I get it, you're trying to make a connection, but come on. We're there for the band and to hear them perform, not to make sure Ed knows "hey, I like the Cubs too!!!". I know, I know. I'm a grumpy fucker. e
    Now for the hypocrisy - whoever gave Jeff the Luv Co shirt to wear during RITFW - well done. That didn't seem like a "me" moment - in fact brought back memories of Stone wearing that shirt in early pics and videos from the band.
    Ed's Nudedragons shirt was cool too.

No Corduroy tonight! And I didn't even really miss it...

I've seen this band many times, but Memphis was truly a standout. Thank you to the whole band and all fellow Jammers for making this a great night!

I think this is the first fanview thread I've read in ages, and ended up in this one by accident (was actually going for the Moline one :) )

But gotta say, this post fucking rocked. What a pleasure to read. Thank you!
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
  • It was my first show after 20+ years of being a fan (Long story), and while I had compiled a list of songs I was dying to hear, I was not disappointed in the least. I'm sure it would have been rad to have seen any of the amazing shows on this leg, especially Milwaukee, I have no complaints. It was amazing. I would have liked for Mike to have rocked the '59 Les Paul a little more though. . .
  • Like Jllyrol311^^^^
    It also took me 20 years to see my first PJ show. Memphis was my second time seeing PJ and it was AWESOME! Although I enjoyed the show from much further away, I feel like I was right up front thanks to the amazing photos and videos posted here. So thanks to all of you who posted!!!
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Eddie's vocals on lowlight and why go sound distant/different driving back n the car with pjradio on
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited November 2014
    I've downloaded this show in HD FLAC, and I'll say it again...that's a great sounding venue.
    I also love the shout out to Memphis in Lightning Bolt.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • jarkkonieminenjarkkonieminen Melbourne, Australia Posts: 126
    This show was the middle leg of my 3 show US Tour and it didn't disappoint.

Firstly "Garden" closed out hearing all of "Ten" for me and what a great song live.
    I was also able to tick "Wash" and "All Night" off my yet to hear list. Loved "Wash" even though EV got stuck with the second verse.

The encores were also littered with gems inc. "NAIS", "Come Back", "Breath" and "Crazy Mary".

All in all, a great night!

Pearl Jam
    1995: Melbourne #3
    1998: Melbourne 1,2 & 3
    2003: Sydney #1, Adelaide, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3
    2006: Melbourne #1
    2009: Melbourne
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Charlotte, Phoenix
    2014: Melbourne, Cincinnati, Memphis, Denver
    2016: Hampton, Columbia
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2
    EV
    2011: Brisbane #2
    2014: Melbourne 2 & 3
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

This show was the middle leg of my 3 show US Tour and it didn't disappoint.

Firstly "Garden" closed out hearing all of "Ten" for me and what a great song live.
    I was also able to tick "Wash" and "All Night" off my yet to hear list. Loved "Wash" even though EV got stuck with the second verse.

The encores were also littered with gems inc. "NAIS", "Come Back", "Breath" and "Crazy Mary".

All in all, a great night!

It was a great night. I've been listening to the boot the last couple of days and reliving the moments.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • JmeiiiJmeiii Posts: 99
    aumfc wrote: »
    87 shows and this is my first fan view...<br />
    During Porch Ed left the stage on Stones side and shook hands with people on the rail walking towards Mike's side. When he got to me, he grabbed my hand and held on longer. What happened then was unlike anything I've ever experienced! Ed climbed the rail to the top (not the step below) and stood immediately over me. (Yes, I have seen this happen often, but he's never stood practically on top of me!). My friend Richard held his left hand while Ed held the mic in his right. I held both legs up and tried to keep him upright, with Pete's help from behind him. Ed was leaning hard and it was just such a cool thing to experience. I'm hoping video exists of this. Please send me a PM if you have a picture or short video.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Decent photo my gf was able to get.

That is fucking fantastic. Such an amazing experience. Just about to listen to the Memphis bootleg for the first time.
    Fenway Park: 8/7/2016
    Fenway Park: 9/2/2018
    Fenway Park: 9/4/2018
  • Thanks for the mention on the Jeff shirt toss. I never in my wildest dreams thought my wife and I would be rewarded with a signed setlist. Just wanted to see Jeff smile. Got both and it made our year. Amazing.
  • alskaraokealskaraoke Posts: 66
    edited February 2015
    Post edited by alskaraoke on
  • Great show.
  • Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    Alskaroke, I was standing in row 2 right next to you on your left! I saw it when Jeff gave you the setlist! I even ask you to let me get a picture of the setlist on my phone. Awesome! The show was great and so were the people around me
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    GA line outside right before doors open. My Wife and I saw a guy smoking a cig on the roof of the westin. It looked like he had a notebook in his hand. His mannerisms looked like it could have been ed. He smoked, looked out into the crowd, kinda leaned over the edge a bit looking out. I know for a fact the band was on the top floor. Clothes did not match what he had on stage (his "uniform" for the tour).

Did anybody see the same thing? Listening to the boot again and I remembered it. Don't think I saw anyone on the fan view speak of it. Maybe it wasn't him...but it was weird how the guys mannerisms and movements were just like ed. But smoking while he was sick on the hotel roof like 1-2 hrs before the show? Not so unlikely I think. Really great show...it is one of the ones I appreciate so much more as time goes on.

Anyway, I think it was him....if so, pretty damn cool and you could really see him looking at the crowd, contemplating, having a quick smoke, etc.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II