Better Call Saul WARNING Spoiler Alert

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited February 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
I caught the series premier last night and was thoroughly entertained. It may not be as good as Breaking Bad but it has potential to be one of the best spin offs ever. Episode 2 is tonight, can't wait.
Post edited by davidtrios on

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The first episode was very slow until the last 10 minutes. But I agree, it has a lot of potential. When the pulled into the driveway at the end, I jokingly said to my wife "watch it be tucos house." Then bam!
    Will there be spoilers here? Cuz I think I just gave one.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    There were a lot of slow parts... But they needed to set the table a bit on the characters and backdrop to get the story started.

I liked the show, if for nothing else, it was a new glimpse into Gilligan's Albuquerque... but the more I think about it today, the show was pretty fantastic..
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Will there be spoilers here? Cuz I think I just gave one.

Spoliers? Sure, why not. Good call on guessing Tuco...looks like Saul has his first client.
  • I really enjoyed it. Saul was my favorite secondary character on Breaking Bad. Actually, I liked him better than Jessie and by the end...even a little better than Walt. It's a rarity to come into a brand new show already invested in a character like this. There's been spinoffs throughout TV history. But I doubt anybody went into Joanie Loves Chachi really giving a shit about either of them. Here, I already care about Saul. By the episode's end, I cared about Chuck and those guys at the Hamlin, Hamlin, and McGill lawfirm.

Nice to see the artsy-fartsy camera techniques of Breaking Bad are in tact also.

One thing about this thread though. Davidtrios, could you edit (BCS) out of the thread title? Now that this is gonna appear in my "participated discussions" list, I rather not be reminded of the Bowl Championship Series in college football. I hate that shit. But I like this show and look forward to tonight's episode. It's gonna air regularly on Mondays from here on out right?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I dug it. Set the table nicely by showing the lead up to his involvement in criminal enterprise. Glad it's on again tonight.
    I wonder if we'll ever see Hector or the cousins
    I have the feeling that the only way this show stays good is if they keep dropping breaking bad references.
    "Don't drink & drive but if you do call me" GENIUS
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I enjoyed it. It has a ton of potential!
    Keep in mind that Breaking Bad got off to a "slow" start too. This show will never be as good as BB, but it doesn't need to. I'm pretty excited about it.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I have never seen Breaking Bad (still need to though) and didn't really have any intention to see this but the previews looked pretty good and it was right after the Walking Dead. I did miss the first half cause like i said didn't have any reason to watch it and i took a shower, but the Grammy's were pretty bad and there was nothing else on. What i saw i liked though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

I have never seen Breaking Bad (still need to though) and didn't really have any intention to see this but the previews looked pretty good and it was right after the Walking Dead. I did miss the first half cause like i said didn't have any reason to watch it and i took a shower, but the Grammy's were pretty bad and there was nothing else on. What i saw i liked though.

Dude....watch Breaking Bad! It's phenomenal!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    mca47 said:

Dude....watch Breaking Bad! It's phenomenal!
    i know, i know and i even have netflix image
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    MayDay10 said:

I wonder if we'll ever see Hector or the cousins

Hoping that eventually we'll see Gus back on the show and how they got involved
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    edited February 2015
    Last night's episode was phenomenal and lived up to the Breaking Bad standard.

The desert scene was amazing. Jimmy and Tuco negotiation the bodily harm on the skaters was both intense and hilarious.

I really like how some things tied together at the end there and where the plot appears to be headed

Odenkirk's acting has been brilliant. Very proud of him. I have been a huge fan since Mr Show. Delighted each time he appeared somewhere and nails it. Now he is hopefully going to really take off with this.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    MayDay10 said:

The desert scene was amazing. Jimmy and Tuco negotiation the bodily harm on the skaters was both intense and hilarious.

One leg each, lol. So funny. I laughed a lot. I'm already hooked too, like everyone else.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    edited February 2015
    Strong second episode. You get a good look at how he bacame who he became.
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

Wow, you actually like something I like?! Amazing...

Other than the cowgirls and beck, we probably have a lot in common.

Other than the cowgirls and beck, we probably have a lot in common.
    the cowgirls lol
    S'all Good, Man!
  • I wasn't as into the second episode as I was the first but I like where it's going. I think as the series progresses, I'll prefer scenes having to do with Saul's rise through the lawyerin' ranks than I will with Breaking Bad-like scenes like the one in the desert. Not that that scene wasn't good because it was. And Saul's lawyin' skills were on display as he talked the two ginger kids down from death to broken legs. But still, the whole "out in the desert" thing......it just seems like we've been there enough times. Minor nitpick.

One thing I'll say about Tuco, he's a heck of grandson. He's always cooking for them and shit. His grandmother at one point noted that he's a good boy and she's right. Well.....kinda.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I wonder if Tuco used club soda and got the "salsa" stain out of the carpet?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Really liked the first 2 episodes. The opening of the pilot episode with him actually ending up managing a Cinnabon in Omaha like he said at the end of BB was great. Really looking forward to the rest of this first season. So much good TV on right now.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    yeah this is really good so far.

the only issue i have is that you know how it's going to turn out since it's a prequel and all...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2015

yeah this is really good so far.

the only issue i have is that you know how it's going to turn out since it's a prequel and all...

Yeah, they are going to have to try to find a way to steer the ship in different surprise directions and also get you to invest in peripheral characters who we do not know the fate of...

I wonder if the timeline will bump into BB at all. It would be cool in a lot of ways. Then into the aftermath we saw in the beginning.
    edited February 2015
    The only characters from BB hat realistically couldn't make appearances is Walt, Skylar, and Walt Jr. Everyone else in the show could have needed Sauls services at one point or another. Even Jesse.

Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
    Another Fantastic episode
  • One thing I found myself saying aloud at the end of Breaking Bad episodes was "And the plot thickens.....". That was certainly the case here.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    MayDay10 said:

Another Fantastic episode

Yeah, I really enjoyed that last night. So weird to see Saul/Jimmy not be in complete control...