Options

RIVAL?

NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
I've been listening to this song since it's release and never really understood the meaning...never thought of asking the 'forum' until I just read another's post above about 'I got Id.'

My take on RIVAL is that yes, the main character is up against someone(thing) that he's ready to take on, and blow apart, apprently, but at the end...
How's a mother to damn these contributors, with mud (???)
How will the men who make chemicals diffcult shed blood (???)
How's a father supposed to be told (did the son die?) (and I LOVE that line...I scream it in my car every time!)

I'll take whatever insight anyone's willing to put down in writing!
"Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
"Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I've been listening to this song since it's release and never really understood the meaning...never thought of asking the 'forum' until I just read another's post above about 'I got Id.'

My take on RIVAL is that yes, the main character is up against someone(thing) that he's ready to take on, and blow apart, apprently, but at the end...
    How's a mother to damn these contributors, with mud (???)
    How will the men who make chemicals diffcult shed blood (???)
    How's a father supposed to be told (did the son die?) (and I LOVE that line...I scream it in my car every time!)

I'll take whatever insight anyone's willing to put down in writing!

The lyrics are inspired by Columbine. I believe there is reference to this in the liner notes.

I find the words to be quite chilling. But I love the song.
  • Options
    I love that song too. I'd never heard it until I heard it live in Boston last year. Now it's a favorite of mine. I love the line bringing both your barrels full, not one.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    I've always dug "Your disciples are riddled with metaphors,... well hung..."
  • Options
    I believe in the liner notes it says something about growing up gay in columbine....which would make sense for the line "how's a father supposed to be told"
  • Options
    RD198608 wrote:
    I believe in the liner notes it says something about growing up gay in columbine....which would make sense for the line "how's a father supposed to be told"

That's it, "Growing up gay in Littleton..."
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    I've always dug "Your disciples are riddled with metaphors,... well hung..."

"All my rivals will see what I have in store... My gun."

Columbine still scares me. I was pretty young when it happened but I lived in Colorado Springs at the time and the song hits me hard. Interesting.
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 938
    What do you make of 'every grain of sand equals all the stars & everyone'.
  • Options
    What do you make of 'every grain of sand equals all the stars & everyone'.
    An elegant way of saying we are all in this together.  If you look closely, no matter how different and alone we think we all are, we share the same hopes and challenges.  Everything else is just labels.