*** Memphis Fanviews Here 10/14/14 ***

Comments

• mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited October 2014

VIDEO : "Black"
    Good example of Mike going off. Agreed he was dialed in last night. I hate that we didn't get to see him jam out Yellow Ledbetter due to house lights / timing... but there were some gems.

MIke & Boom jamming at the end of Crazy Mary may have been the highlight for me....

I think that's my last decent video. Will upload HD versions later, just uploading from iPhone now and our network is slow.
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,181
    edited October 2014
    87 shows and this is my first fan view...

I flew into Nashville from PA for my one and only show this tour and waited overnight as part of the GA queue. My friend and I met some very nice and friendly people in the queue. Many thanks to them for helping us stay warm and offering their chairs. This was my first time doing GA in the US since Randall's Island 2, '96. It was well, well, well worth the 23 hour wait outside.
    I ended up wearing a green Red Sox hat that I can't recall wearing to a PJ show since The Canadian tour in 2005. (We lost one of our friends a week or so ago from that Canadian trip, and he was on my mind. Looking at pictures from that RV trip recently, I noticed I had worn that hat green hat to shows across Canada and I pulled it out of storage for this one show. I'm not sure if the hat is lucky or what but last night was a unlike any experience I've had probably since 2005, or probably ever.

I stood on the rail in from of Jeff, and Ed noticed the Every Mother Counts shirt I was wearing early on in the show and gave me a thumbs up. (Great organization...you should look into it if you aren't familiar).
    The setlist was awesome as others have mentioned. Lots of songs from way back in the catalog like Wash, Alone, Breath, and Garden, and plenty for Mike to shred on as others have noted. Watching Mike display his gift from so close during songs like Black, 1/2 Full, and NAIS is incredible. I also love watching Jeff play bass so close up. The improv early in the show was very cool and I am really looking forward to hearing that again on the bootleg.

During Porch Ed left the stage on Stones side and shook hands with people on the rail walking towards Mike's side. When he got to me, he grabbed my hand and held on longer. What happened then was unlike anything I've ever experienced! Ed climbed the rail to the top (not the step below) and stood immediately over me. (Yes, I have seen this happen often, but he's never stood practically on top of me!). My friend Richard held his left hand while Ed held the mic in his right. I held both legs up and tried to keep him upright, with Pete's help from behind him. Ed was leaning hard and it was just such a cool thing to experience. I'm hoping video exists of this. Please send me a PM if you have a picture or short video.

Ed threw me the cork from the wine bottle during Crazy Mary just after the wine bottle started to be passed around and he later tossed me a tamborine during RITFW. First ever tamborine! Thank you, Ed!
    What a great, memorable night I will always remember. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Pearl Jam, for being the best band in the world.
    Post edited by maverick on
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    They killed it. Ed was an absolute champion for giving it his all even though he had a cold. Great, great show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    edited October 2014
    maverick said:

I ended up wearing a green Red Sox hat that I can't recall wearing to a PJ show since The Canadian tour in 2005.

I think I may have passed by you. I was in a white buttondown with a faaaaaaded old blue Red Sox cap. Saw a guy out behind sec104 with a green sox cap and said "Go Sox" to him on the concourse area.

Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Threw my Elvis sun glasses on stage Ed wore for a bit during Let The Records Play. Note how he whirled his arms like a windmill wailing on the guitar at the end of Betterman. ;). Thanks for a great show! Nice to meet Fabrizio from Italy, guys from Nashville! Let's do it again soon. ;)
    where it takes me.
  • 666erm666erm Posts: 243
    Did anyone else feel like the Forum was going to implode after RVM or after Mike and Boom rocked the fuck out at the end of Crazy Mary?
    04/11/03 West Palm Beach
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach
    09/03/11 East Troy
    09/04/11 East Troy
    09/02/12 Philadelphia
    09/21/12 Pensacola Beach
    07/19/13 Chicago
    06/16/14 Amsterdam
    06/17/14 Amsterdam
    10/09/14 Lincoln
    10/14/14 Memphis
    11/25/15 Bogota
    04/08/16 Fort Lauderdale
    04/09/16 Miami
    04/11/16 Tampa
    04/13/16 Jacksonville
    04/16/16 Greenville
    05/05/16 Quebec City
    08/05/16 Boston
    08/07/16 Boston
    07/01/18 Prague
    07/03/18 Krakow
    07/10/18 Barcelona
    07/14/18 Lisbon
    08/08/18 Seattle
    08/10/18 Seattle
    09/18/21 Asbury Park
    10/01/21 Dana Point
    10/02/21 Dana Point
    09/16/22 Nashville
    09/20/22 Oklahoma City
  • dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    I thought the set list was great and the band had great energy. Super fun show. We waited in line for merch for 35 minutes around 4p and got everything but stickers. Later inside the merch tables were fully stocked and the line took 5 minutes.

I'm at Sun Studios now and the staff are still laughing about yesterday when they told Matt Cameron that PJ's drummer had been there the day before. Lots of jammers here today for the tour today.
  • You guys got Alone.....that is worth the price of admission alone. I would of killed to seen that song live. Hopefully he breaks it out again on this tour...ST. Paul...wink wink, Eddie
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

• BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    It's impressive that even with a bad cold Ed still gave it his all. Mike was on fire all night, Jeff and Stone seemed to be having a blast, and they delivered. This was my 1 show of this leg of the tour and I am happy with how it turned out. What an amazing setlist.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Enjoyed this show a bunch with my wife. Great crowd (I was wowed by the Breath singalong in particular). I caught some of the improv (can't remember when it was) but my phone ran out of space...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09esQ0l-VKQ

Before the show, I idiotically left my phone in the car with my wife and couldn't call her to meet up... really thankful to the guy who let me borrow his phone to call her and coordinate (we made it to our seats just before the show). He was genuinely happy to help out... long shot but just in case he's reading, thank you!!
  • ANTIocmedANTIocmed Dopetown, IL Posts: 32
    15th show for me, first fanview....

This is one of those shows that you can't judge by it's cover. Shorter set list than most but the energy and inclusion of rarer songs makes this one my fave shows I've seen. Pearl Jam set lists stopped being "dick measuring contests" for me a long time ago. So I don't care if it is or isn't better than prior shows. I am just super stoked I made the trip down to Memphis from central Illinois for this one, it was worth it.

I will note that the sound from my ten club seat (stones side) was so much better than St. Louis. The mix was great this time and ed's voice sounded so good during Pendulum.
    For me, I couldn't tell that Ed had a cold even when he mentioned it. It was very minor imo, and could start to hear it in his voice about midway through the first encore. Though this may be more evident on the bootleg. Wasn't an issue for me and him being 'sick' shouldn't overshadow this show in any way. All six guys brought it tonight in a big way and the crowd gave it right back.

I like Pendulum as the opener, it has a "release" vibe to me and surprisingly it seems to generate a decent singalong. Why Go as the 4th song in was cool, at this point I knew something was different about this show. The crowd was super into this one.
    Even flow wasn't the piss break song since it was early, that honor went to Sirens. It is what it is.....lol
    As Hank noted, the band was very jammy tonight. I noted that Wishlist was longer like it used to be with an improv tag at the end.
    I counted mike make 6 laps around the stage during STBC, and the song ended when he was behind the stage on his last lap.
    The crowd went apeshit during RVM, which surprised me a bit. I guess I'm less into this one as I used to be. PJ rocked it hard though.
    Crazy Mary was another highlight, boom and Mike slayed it with their dueling solos. I enjoyed it as I did when they first started doing that in 2003.
    The rarer songs were highlights as others have mentioned, I think those definitely brought this show to another level.
    And Jeff/Mike trading guitars during RITFW was great. I've seen them do that during fuckin up before and it was awesome. Watching Jeff bust out a solo as the song finished up was cool and Ed daring him to smash mike's les Paul was hilarious. The guys were having a great time for sure.
    PJ came on stage at 8:10 and left at 10:55 by my watch.
    Like I said, I am glad I made it to this one. Now, bring on Moline!!!
    Say hello to the rug's topography..It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Incredible show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
    I hate to compare it to the other show that I caught this tour, but I cannot help to notice how with it the both the band and the audience were at Memphis. I did not sit down a second during the entire show. I think the band could tell the Memphis was loving them some Pearl Jam last night. I hope that they will make it a habit to stop by more often. :)
    Post edited by Cradles Broken Glass on
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953

at what time did pearl jam take the stage? how long did they play?

Tulsa they came on at 8:05 pm and finished at 11:00pm.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited October 2014
    A few things I noticed from my seats in row M of section 114 (lower section, right in the middle, about halfway up on the Stone side...)
    That place SOUNDS good, the perfect amount of roof and back wall 1/8 of a second delayed echo.
    Ed's voice. To me, 1st half of the show it sounded GOOD, like really good. It sorta ran outta gas after that, but we all knew the words.
    That improv sounded like "a work in progress song" to me. It was a pretty dark intro to the Bolt and I for one was hooked from the first note.
    From my vantage point, I could see the whole floor, and where the seats started I saw alot of constipated looking 38 year old men with their arms crossed during some pretty amazing playing. You either like the band or you don't. Loosen up, or free up those tickets for other people who wanna be there.
    Ed's Pete Townshend windmill during Better Man, amazing.
    speaking of amazing, Mikey. I mean, holy shit, that boy can play.
    At the end of RITFW, when Jeff and Mike switched back instruments, just dicking around, Ed almost knocked Mike's Les Paul out of his hand. MM looked pretty pissed. Then Ed was like "smash it..." but Mike was having none of it.
    I've seen 1/2 Full 3 times in 8 shows. That song is redonkulous.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • phil7280phil7280 Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Guys forgive me if I'm supposed to know this... The house video last night... It was quite good quality. Is there a tour video in the works?
    Post edited by phil7280 on
  • So grateful to have been a part of an epic show in my hometown. I suspected with Wash following Pendulum that they meant business. First show of many to be in GA, other than festivals, and they wrung every ounce of energy from themselves and the audience, myself included. Energy was off the charts... so many people feeling it and singing along that it felt very special and unified. Cheers to guy from Memphis and others from Louisiana next to me who shared the same enthusiasm and helped make the show one for the record books.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    666erm said:

Did anyone else feel like the Forum was going to implode after RVM or after Mike and Boom rocked the fuck out at the end of Crazy Mary?

Mike and Boom certainly did "rock the fuck" out of Crazy Mary. That was probably the highloight of the show for me. It's rare that you get to see 2 musicians get in sync like that and just go all out.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    Super fun to see Boom so psyched during his riffs with Mike! He was all smiles!

I'm back home now and man was the show a blast! The crowd was killer and my first GA show was just fantastic! 4 people from stage on Stone's side. So much energy and the band seemed to have a blast.

Great fun in line for merchandise! Tom from Denver, hope u had a fun show! 4 hours in the GA line went by in a flash! Everybody was super cool! Hope the two guys from Nashville had a safe trip home that night.

Thanks Memphis!
  • Anyone have a UPS Memphis pin? I have the Beale St pin or Memphis sticker to trade for it.
    Thanks
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited October 2014
    I just watched lightning bolt on YouTube. It really looked like Ed was struggling during the "no repair in sight..." lines. He seemed to fight through quite nicely though.

And mind your manners is sounding better and better. They nailed it.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    alizmi said:

Alone for only the 10th time on US Soil in the last 20 years? Nice.

More to come....
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=5krZNu83snk

I always kinda thought Memphis would be a standout and after Wash i knew it would be awesome. Mike totally killed it the entire show. He was ON! During Spin The Black Circle, he was nonstop running laps around the entire stage. Totally cool story, the guy in front of me was a wishlist organizer and he had a meet/greet with Jeff and Mike before the show. Naturally, he was reserved on Mikes side and he acknowledged (I'm gonna say us because it felt like he was pointing at me also) us about 7-10 times. Totally cool.

Alone, Garden, Breath Nothing As It Seems and a not so normal Porch (intro was slow and chill and then they went off) all pushed this show very high on my list. Wish this wasn't the last show of this tour for me but...
    It wont be the last friend. Lets just see whats in store for us on their next album and tour. I cant wait!!!!
  • jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    It was an absolutely fantastic show. Also, Ed gave me a thumbs up for my Mudhoney shirt. So, that was pretty rad.
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
    edited October 2014
    Whole Memphis show on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbbBDDej8W8

EDIT: Appears to be incomplete and is of varying quality, video wise.
    Post edited by mattsavard on

• bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    So nice to see they played Wash.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Great show. I was in GA and met some great people. Sucked that Eddie's voice was hurting, but it still an awesome show. 3 of my friends were in the very top row of the arena and still loved it. One of them if was his first time seeing them and said it was one of the best shows he's ever seen. Sucks that Ghost and No Way were scratched off, would've loved to have heard those two songs, but not going to complain. I finally got to see Alone and NAIS live.
  • idvedderidvedder Missouri Posts: 27
    So amazing. Took my mama to her first show since my tour buddy/husband deployed on Monday. Was feeling bluesy Tuesday before the show, but that show really hit the spot. The city, the people, the food, the band...so epic. Mom got Mike to wave at her during the show! And Boom! I think that was the first show I've seen him really lay it down. He and Mike were on fire during that exchange. Somehow we drove past the pyramid 3 times and were still wondering what this pyramid was that everyone was talking about. Once we finally spotted it, we had random "What f*&@! pyramid?!" laughing fits all the way home. Sad that that was the last show I'll be seeing this year, but couldn't have asked for better!
    St. Louis, 2003; Kansas City, 2010; Alpine Valley 1&2 2011; Wrigley Field, 2013; OKC, 2013; St. Louis, 2014; Memphis, 2014
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Oh yeah...zero Backspacer.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • I must be a "Wash" magnet... Memphis was my 30th show and I think I've heard it played 6 of the last 13 times since 2005. If anyone wants to hear Wash at a show, ask me which one I'll be at... you have a pretty good chance they'll play it if I'm there!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    maverick said:

I flew into Nashville from PA for my one and only show this tour and waited overnight as part of the GA queue. My friend and I met some very nice and friendly people in the queue. Many thanks to them for helping us stay warm and offering their chairs. This was my first time doing GA in the US since Randall's Island 2, '96. It was well, well, well worth the 23 hour wait outside.
    I ended up wearing a green Red Sox hat that I can't recall wearing to a PJ show since The Canadian tour in 2005. (We lost one of our friends a week or so ago from that Canadian trip, and he was on my mind. Looking at pictures from that RV trip recently, I noticed I had worn that hat green hat to shows across Canada and I pulled it out of storage for this one show. I'm not sure if the hat is lucky or what but last night was a unlike any experience I've had probably since 2005, or probably ever.

I stood on the rail in from of Jeff, and Ed noticed the Every Mother Counts shirt I was wearing early on in the show and gave me a thumbs up. (Great organization...you should look into it if you aren't familiar).
    The setlist was awesome as others have mentioned. Lots of songs from way back in the catalog like Wash, Alone, Breath, and Garden, and plenty for Mike to shred on as others have noted. Watching Mike display his gift from so close during songs like Black, 1/2 Full, and NAIS is incredible. I also love watching Jeff play bass so close up. The improv early in the show was very cool and I am really looking forward to hearing that again on the bootleg.

During Porch Ed left the stage on Stones side and shook hands with people on the rail walking towards Mike's side. When he got to me, he grabbed my hand and held on longer. What happened then was unlike anything I've ever experienced! Ed climbed the rail to the top (not the step below) and stood immediately over me. (Yes, I have seen this happen often, but he's never stood practically on top of me!). My friend Richard held his left hand while Ed held the mic in his right. I held both legs up and tried to keep him upright, with Pete's help from behind him. Ed was leaning hard and it was just such a cool thing to experience. I'm hoping video exists of this. Please send me a PM if you have a picture or short video.

Ed threw me the cork from the wine bottle during Crazy Mary just after the wine bottle started to be passed around and he later tossed me a tamborine during RITFW. First ever tamborine! Thank you, Ed!
    What a great, memorable night I will always remember. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Pearl Jam, for being the best band in the world.

Too cool. Thanks for sharing. There is nothing than being that close.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG