2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
edited September 2023 in All Encompassing Trip
Figured I would start a new Bears thread since 81 isn't around to change the title of the old one.

Bears just picked up Santonio Holmes. I like it...if he stays healthy, that's a pretty nice #3 WR. But the main question is will the defense improve?? Jarden Allen and Lamar Houston were nice pickups. I'm still worried about safety and LB...
Post edited by Indifference71 on

Comments

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    If conte gets any playing time we are in big trouble..backup rb is a big question mark... But yea lets see what santonio can do...not a bad 3-4 option..Also worried about lb..Briggs has to stay healthy.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I think the Holmes pick up is solid. How long before he gets in Cutler's face for not getting him the ball? Seems like he was a total cancer in the locker room too. We'll see how Trestman handles that...
    Weems is out. Not a shocker. The guy is not a starter and he can't return for shit anymore. Oh well!
    I think the offense is going to be scary-good this year....as long as everyone stays healthy. Sucks to hear about Zach Miller going on the IR. Guy can't catch a break!

The D definitely worries me. I think the d line will be fine, but I have no faith in the LBs and our safety play has looked awful in the preseason so far.
    Last year everyone said "if the d line gets better it'll take pressure off the secondary." Yes...BUT....every team is going to realize a) the LBs look lost in coverage and b) the safeties are still not understanding their roles in filling gaps and player hand-offs.
    Any team with a "west coast" style offense...which is 90% of the league...will exploit this over and over again. Yeah, it's the preseason, but the Bears first team D made Henne look like a pro bowler.
    Special teams looks ugly too! Robbie will do fine and I'm sure the new kid will punt fine, but the coverage and return look horrible so far!

Anyone hear anything more on Fuller's injury? I still have no idea why a first round pick is out on the "suicide team"! Makes absolutely no sense!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Not exactly an inspiring effort vs. Seattle last week. It's only preseason so I'm not freaking out yet, but the defense has looked pretty brutal.

Like them going with Clausen over Palmer as the backup. Clausen has actually thrown some passes in the NFL...I didn't realize that Palmer has somethign like 55 career passing yards. And of course he goes and signs with Buffalo who the Bears play week 1.....interesting.
    Typical Schwartz move with them getting Palmer. hate that fn guy.
    Odds in Palmer remaining on their roster for the season? Would be interesting to see what his contract looks like.
    mca47 said:

Typical Schwartz move with them getting Palmer. hate that fn guy.
    Odds in Palmer remaining on their roster for the season? Would be interesting to see what his contract looks like.

He'll be gone after week 1. Shady move, but not much you can do about it.

God damn I can't wait for real football to start!
    Yeah, I figured. You had to think Palmer knew what they were doing in bring him in. If or when Cutty gets hurt, seems like Palmer....who would have been a good option is prob off the table.
  • 8-8
    Lose to Greenbay twice
    Dont make the playoffs.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    My gawd, the defense last year?!?! You know the bears offense was #2 in scoring last year? Who knew? But that porous run defense last year was pathetic. How many of you out there thought that Lance Briggs could carry that defense in his own? I did. I knew Urlacher was the glue, but damn...... Cinte isn't on the team this year, is he? He was horrible. Tillman is healthy, hopefully.

Bottom line is, the bears have one if the most dynamic offenses in the league. When Cutler has time, he's as good as any QB in the league. I'll argue that with anyone. But that is a big IF. As soon as be gets rushed, the dude turns into a backup varsity QB. They are going to have to protect him if they hope to outscore green bay and detroit. I'm a little more optimistic than speedy. 11-5. They split with green bay. Not going to be enough to win the division, but it gets them a wild card.

That defense has to improve

My gawd, the defense last year?!?! You know the bears offense was #2 in scoring last year? Who knew? But that porous run defense last year was pathetic. How many of you out there thought that Lance Briggs could carry that defense in his own? I did. I knew Urlacher was the glue, but damn...... Cinte isn't on the team this year, is he? He was horrible. Tillman is healthy, hopefully.

Bottom line is, the bears have one if the most dynamic offenses in the league. When Cutler has time, he's as good as any QB in the league. I'll argue that with anyone. But that is a big IF. As soon as be gets rushed, the dude turns into a backup varsity QB. They are going to have to protect him if they hope to outscore green bay and detroit. I'm a little more optimistic than speedy. 11-5. They split with green bay. Not going to be enough to win the division, but it gets them a wild card.

That defense has to improve

Unfortunately, Conte is still on this team. He was really bad last year, but people get a little nuts about the guy. He was left out to dry a lot of times because the d-line and LBs were so bad. But yeah, safety and LB are still a big concern. Briggs has been my favorite player on the Bears forever, but I think this might finally be the year that he starts to regress. I hope I'm wrong, but it has to happen eventually.

10-6 with a win in the wild card round is my prediction.
    I agree with Indif. They'll go 10-6 and land the Wild Card.

Briggs has looked pretty bad in the preseason so far. I'm starting to wonder if Briggs was a probowler due to 54 and a better overall defense. I think Briggs was better than 54 for the last 3- or so years while they played together, but I'm wondering if he's a guy that needs support in order to be truly comfortable back there. Not sure how comfortable you can be with McClellen and Bostic filling gaps....or missing tackles.
    mca47 said:

I agree with Indif. They'll go 10-6 and land the Wild Card.

Briggs has looked pretty bad in the preseason so far. I'm starting to wonder if Briggs was a probowler due to 54 and a better overall defense. I think Briggs was better than 54 for the last 3- or so years while they played together, but I'm wondering if he's a guy that needs support in order to be truly comfortable back there. Not sure how comfortable you can be with McClellen and Bostic filling gaps....or missing tackles.

I think Briggs is just getting old. He obviously benefitted playing next to 54 all those years, but Urlacher benefited having Briggs play next to him all those years as well. Definitely agree Briggs was better player for at least the last 3 years those 2 were together.

Tillman is definitely slowing down, but he still always making plays by forcing fumbles, picks, etc..
  • 8-8
    Cutler missing 4 games due to menstrual cramps
    One player arrested at a nightclub
    One player gets a DUI
    One incident involving a player and a gun.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    6-10
    this is fun!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Sounds like it is going to be Mundy and Conte at safety if Conte is recovered from his concussion. Not sure how I feel about that, but it's not like they have a lot of options at this point. If the d-line play improves, it will take some pressure off the LBs and safeties.....something that didn't happen at all last year.
    Yeah, sounds like they are going to rotate safeties in and out against the Bills. I have no faith in any of them, but i hope our dline puts enough pressure on the QBs where it shouldn't matter as much.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Da Bear haven't a clue on D, Briggs is old fat and slow, Shea shouldn't be in the NFL let alone starting and the front 4 maybe improved but who knows. Also, Mel Tucker is a fucking train wreck disaster who doesn't deserve to have a job.

7-9
    edited September 2014

Da Bear haven't a clue on D, Briggs is old fat and slow, Shea shouldn't be in the NFL let alone starting and the front 4 maybe improved but who knows. Also, Mel Tucker is a fucking train wreck disaster who doesn't deserve to have a job.

7-9

I'm not saying Mel Tucker is a great coach or anything, but what we did he have to work with last year??? Nothing. And then a bunch of injuries on top of that.

Maybe the front 4 improved?!?!?!? Signing Allen, Houston, and Young is a HUGE improvement compared to last year. I'm definitely concerned about the D, but not as down on the D as most people seem to be. And with as good as our offense is going to be, we won't need a dominant D to win games. Can't wait for Sunday!
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • I dont care if the Bears finish 1-15.
    Just win Sunday and let me advance in my survivor pool.
    Bears 34
    Bills 17
  • Bears 31
    Bills 21
  • 8-8
    Cutler missing 4 games due to menstrual cramps
    One player arrested at a nightclub
    One player gets a DUI
    One incident involving a player and a gun.

You forgot one player quits because some of the guys tease him.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Bearsssss 31
    Bills 13
  • Just so I am on the record 9-7 miss the playoffs. Briggs old and lost a step. See the play but can't get there in time. McClellen is a empty uniform and can't shed a block. Bostic doesn't read his keys well and over runs everything. Not a good sign rotating safeties. The bears are going with the Saints philosophy, out score you and stop you once or twice. Only problem is the Bears need the opposing offense to shoot themselves in the foot because there aren't going to be many stops. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Bears 28
    Bills 17
    Nice shirt.
    It's finally here! Bear Down!!!
    Awful. This is the same team as last year. Terrible run D (around 200 yards given up today) and bad turnovers (2 AWFUL picks by Cutler). What a fucking joke.

Awful. This is the same team as last year. Terrible run D (around 200 yards given up today) and bad turnovers (2 AWFUL picks by Cutler). What a fucking joke.

Yep, awful!
    Can't stop the run for shit and NO pass rush. They gave that guy all fn day to throw...where the hell was Allen? Was he involved in any play?
    While Conte had that int, it was comical to see him get thrown down trying to make that tackle at the end on Jackson.
    Did we actually suit up any LBs? Holy crap McClellen is worthless!
    Losing Alshon hurt. How many fn dropped balls did we have today?!? Cutler looked good at times but that INT to the dlineman....:fp:. The fuck was that?!?! The other INT to Bennett shouldn't have been thrown but it also helps to have the receiver looking for the ball.
    F!
    Just watched the Niners-Cowboys game....we're gonna get destroyed!!

Niners: 42
    Bears: 24
    mca47 said:

Yep, awful!
    Can't stop the run for shit and NO pass rush. They gave that guy all fn day to throw...where the hell was Allen? Was he involved in any play?
    While Conte had that int, it was comical to see him get thrown down trying to make that tackle at the end on Jackson.
    Did we actually suit up any LBs? Holy crap McClellen is worthless!
    Losing Alshon hurt. How many fn dropped balls did we have today?!? Cutler looked good at times but that INT to the dlineman....:fp:. The fuck was that?!?! The other INT to Bennett shouldn't have been thrown but it also helps to have the receiver looking for the ball.
    F!
    Just watched the Niners-Cowboys game....we're gonna get destroyed!!

Niners: 42
    Bears: 24

It's funny how everyone looks to blame Conte. He said post game he was trying to strip the ball from Jackson since they were already in FG range after the first 15-20 yards of that run...makes sense to me. And how many fucking times did a Bills RB run through a hole that a car could drive through? Defensive line and LBs non-existent once again. Same shit, different season.
    I get the idea of stripping the ball but he came nowhere close to the ball or even Jackson's arms.
    The entire D sucked today, but I fn hate Conte. I hated him from the first game he played with the Bears. He fn sucks.
    But yeah, it's not good when you have to rely on your safeties to stop the run game.
    I would be SHOCKED if the Niners didn't get 40 points next week.
    mca47 said:

I get the idea of stripping the ball but he came nowhere close to the ball or even Jackson's arms.
    The entire D sucked today, but I fn hate Conte. I hated him from the first game he played with the Bears. He fn sucks.
    But yeah, it's not good when you have to rely on your safeties to stop the run game.
    I would be SHOCKED if the Niners didn't get 40 points next week.

Yeah, I don't think Conte is good by any means, but he always seems to be the scapegoat for a defense that is pathetic all-around. That's the part that gets me. The whole defense sucks...not just one guy.

With 4 of the next 5 on the road (SF, Jets, Carolina, Atlanta) and a home game with GB in the middle of those 4 games, this season could easily turn into a disaster....that's why yesterday's game was so important. If they could have gotten through the first 6 at 3-3, that would have been pretty impressive. Now it's hard to see them winning 3 out of those 5. Fuck.