Wildfire Watch/ Drought Watch

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    So do we dump the bucket on our head or no?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    unsung said:

So do we dump the bucket on our head or no?

Sure! Make a bucket full of origami cubes out of recycled white paper to dump on our heads!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It's about the dumbest thing I've seen, just donate the money.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    unsung said:

It's about the dumbest thing I've seen, just donate the money.

i can't say im a fan of it either. frickin weird stuff
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I appreciate the efforts, with donations (but SO MUCH WATER has been wasted/dumped).

A lot of what I've seen though seems more about ego, the ever-present "look at me!" than the intent behind it. Not saying all have this mindset, and the creativity of some has been entertaining...but it's almost like an excuse to shine the spotlight on oneself.

ALS is all of a sudden the sweetheart disease? "Trending"? Right.

MS, Parkinson's, cancer, arthritis...why not these diseases too?

(yeah, feeling just a bit cynical this morning. I hate bandwagons :D)
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    somene might should say, "stick the bucket of ice water up your ass" as they throw it across the room. of course they donated some $$$

or donated buckets of ice water to california or other drought having places

the vince mcmahon clip was all about vince mcmahon
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I dig Vince.

And I do hope all have donated - it seems so, or at least a huge influx has poured in from most.

It's heartening, and shows how much is available to give. Shit, just look at those kickstarter things.
    hedonist said:

I dig Vince.

And I do hope all have donated - it seems so, or at least a huge influx has poured in from most.

It's heartening, and shows how much is available to give. Shit, just look at those kickstarter things.

Yes, giving a what we can to help fight this and other diseases is important.

It would also be encouraging to see more effort put into preventing disease- cancers caused by all the chemicals we dump into our bodies and our environment, diseases take hold due to stress, etc.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Saw that two dudes in Cali started dump a bucket of dirt instead but it begs the ? Now that you have dirt all over you won't you need water to wash it off >>>>>>dump shredded paper instead ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Just donate instead. If you so desire. Nothing like some peer pressure for a good cause.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    unsung said:

Just donate instead. If you so desire. Nothing like some peer pressure for a good cause.

Or this
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2014
    brianlux said:

Not to diminish the importance of honey bees to our current means of existence, but I think it is worth noting that honey bees are not native to north America and that indigenous people got along just fine without them.

I never thought that this problem was limited to honey bees. I think it's various species of bees that are also disappearing. There are bees that are native to north America. We do need them so that they can pollinate. I never even considered honey bees specifically. Honey bees specifically aren't even capable of pollinating many plants that bees native to north America can pollinate.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Not to diminish the importance of honey bees to our current means of existence, but I think it is worth noting that honey bees are not native to north America and that indigenous people got along just fine without them.

I never thought that this problem was limited to honey bees. I think it's various species of bees that are also disappearing. There are bees that are native to north America. We do need them so that they can pollinate. I never even considered honey bees specifically. Honey bees specifically aren't even capable of pollinating many plants that bees native to north America can pollinate.
    Your post made me curious, PJ_Soul. I didn't know wild bees are disappearing as well so I looked on line and found this:

http://science.time.com/2013/08/09/the-trouble-with-beekeeping-in-the-anthropocene/

Part of the article linked here says this:

The reality is that honeybees are very useful to human beings, and species that are very useful to us—think domesticated animals and pets—tend to do OK in the increasingly human-dominated world we call the Anthropocene. But other wild species aren’t so lucky—and that includes the thousands of species of wild bees and other non-domesticated pollinators. Bumblebees have experienced recent and rapid population loss in the U.S., punctuated by a mass pesticide poisoning in Oregon this past June that led to the deaths of some 50,000 bumblebees. A 2006 report by the National Academies of Science concluded that the populations of many other wild pollinators—especially wild bees—was trending “demonstrably downward.” The threats are much the same ones faced by managed honeybees: pesticides, lack of wild forage, parasites and disease. The difference is that there are thousands of human beings who make it their business to care for and prop up the populations of honeybees. No one is doing the same thing for wild bees.

Not good! :-(

Here's some of what's going on this week in central California. We're still in the first half of fire season and it looks to be a rough one again this year:

Yosemite (heart breaking) 4,772 acres, 80% containment:

Closer to home- King Fire, Pollock Pines, about 14 miles from here, 8,600 acres, 5% containment:

It's starting to feel like Apocalypse California around here. A large portion of one my favorite little towns in Northern California, Weed -yes, that aptly named little hippie town up near the CA, OR border- has burned. Details here:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/western-wildfires/california-wildfire-ravages-small-town-weed-n204631

Meanwhile, our local fire, the King Fire, has jumped to 11,570 acres with only 5% containment. I spoke briefly with a fire crew member just coming on duty this afternoon and he described this fire as "crazy", and "abnormal" and "wildly out of control". Not good news here in the Sierra foothills.

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I've seen that there is some major flooding out west. Even in cali. Is that helping any?
    edited September 2014
    That sucks Brian. :( Wild fires are awful. I know it's natural and in the big picture they can actually be good for the land, but when it destroys homes and towns and landmarks it's so fucking sad and frustrating. BC gets so many of them (600 fires in the province at once isn't that unusual at the height of summer and right now there are 134 that are larger than 10 hectares going), although they never get near Greater Vancouver - too much rain right where we are on the southcoast.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I can see the effects of it here in our recent sunrises - from so far away.

(and I don't need to tell you how much I love the town name of Weed)

Keep safe and breathe well, B.

I've seen that there is some major flooding out west. Even in cali. Is that helping any?

No, not yet. I've got relatives in Mesa, AZ that are fighting flooding. Tuscon got ten inches in one day= more than they usually see in a year. Here in our area we're still bone dry. There is a slight chance of some rain tomorrow (which of course would help big-time) but there's an equal chance of thunder and lightening, which could mean more fire by lighting-strikes.

Got some pictures from my honey and step daughter who are in the The Aleutian Islands chain (something they've been saving for and dreaming of for many years). It looks so beautiful there- a little rain, then clearing, a little fog, then sun. I'm kinda keeping the news here low-key. No use spoiling a good time.

hedonist said:

I can see the effects of it here in our recent sunrises - from so far away.

(and I don't need to tell you how much I love the town name of Weed)

Keep safe and breathe well, B.

Thanks, H. We're good here so far.

Smoke from the Pollock Pines King fire is blowing north-east but it could cycle back down that way. Then add to that all the other fires north of Fresno going strong and it makes for a lot of bad air. People's homes, wildlife, trees, a lot going down right now. :-(

edited September 2014
    I think I just shit bricks. The latest update says the King fire has jumped from 12,500 acres this morning to 27,930 this evening and still only 5% containment. This monster is out of control. People still talk about the devastation of the 1992 Cleveland fire up here and this beast is making that one look like a camp fire. We're not in any danger at our place but, shit, this thing is wild and raging. We know several people who have had to evacuate. The intense heat from the fire is creating what are called pyrocumulous clouds- massive billowing motherfuckers of clouds that tower high into the atmosphere over the fire and smoke, towering, ominous piles of white, fuming clouds over dense grey smoke.

Amazingly, even though 1600 (some sources are saying over 2,000) homes are in danger, there have been no structures lost yet. That's lot of people displaces and many of these properties hold livestock, horses and other animals and some have had to be left due to rapid evacuation. Also, major sources of county infrastructure (water and power) are threatened. And of course the devastation to wildlife and trees is huge. Crazy shit going down in these parts.
    Post edited by brianlux on

The air quality must be just awful up there.

My heart always breaks for the animals; they have no idea what's happening - they're just terrified.

Hopefully no lives (human or animal) and homes lost.
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Good grief stay safe

I'm cringing at the thought of what this summer will bring in Australia. It has been a very dry winter and that means 100% chance of fires come late spring/ summer. It's just a lucky dip as to what the winds do. If they whip up it's always catastrophic
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    Just checked the latest report. The fire went from 27,930 acres last night to 70,944 this morning. The speed with which this thing is spreading is insane. Again, amazingly, no homes have been lost as it is moving away from Pollock Pines into national forest. But with only 5 % containment still it could easily run into populated areas as it moves.

edited September 2014
    hedonist said:

My heart always breaks for the animals; they have no idea what's happening - they're just terrified.

Remember to donate to IFAW everyone. One of the best charities in the world. :) Part of the work they do is saving injured and/or displaced and abandoned animals from wildfires. Wild and domestic alike.

http://www.ifaw.org
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Remember to donate to IFAW everyone. One of the best charities in the world. :) Part of the work they do is saving injured and/or displaced and abandoned animals from wildfires. Wild and domestic alike.

I just checked them out - kudos!

I'm adding them to our charity list :)

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

=D>
    hedonist said:
    Definitely! It blows my mind some of the sick things some people do.
    The other thing that drives me up the wall is people spreading rumors. There was a rumor going on around town today in Placerville that the fire was started by- get a load of this shit- Green Peace!! Unfuckingbelievable that people would believe this in the first place or that they would hear this and go around saying it like it was true before looking into it. I really hate it when people spread malicious gossip like this.

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Same here- thanks PJ_Soul!