Michael Brown Shooting

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So the details of Brown grabbing the Officer's weapon might be in dispute but it doesn't sound like there is any dispute related to how far away Brown was from the Officer when he was killed.

Unreal
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    this is bullshit im sick of minority kids getting killed by cops who think they are the supreme law with no regards to human rights & to treat the press like criminals this is bullshit and it has to stop now .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Are people protesting because the young man killed was unarmed, or unarmed and black?

As to releasing the officer's name, until the investigation is completed, what's the purpose? So his family has to fear for their lives due to something they had nothing to do with? Will the same thing happen as when Zimmerman's supposed address was incorrectly broadcast, and some innocents were being threatened?

As to the arrests of the members of the press, if it went down as I've read, seriously fucked up.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    They might be protesting just because it was a white cop shooting a black man.

It's a sad reason to finally get off their asses but they did. There's so many cameras down there that Jesse and Al showed up too!!!
    I figured those two would be making an appearance per their usual MO, just surprised it didn't happen sooner.
    Well who else do you suppose would come to support the black community the fucking governor just today showed up at ground Zero and the Mayor of Ferguson today was the 1st time ive seen him on TV 5days to late , i ask who else do you suppose should show up ?
    It just seems like Frick and Frack do this posturing more for themselves than their causes.

I imagine there are others who could and have become involved, with genuine intent.

Anyway, sorry to derail.
    unsung said:
    That reminds me of one of the photos from the 1992 LA riots, of two Korean business owners armed from the roof of their building.

I wish other means of protest would/could be implemented, rather than destroying your city and its people along with it.

(and I would NOT fuck with that dude on the left!)
    hedonist said:

It just seems like Frick and Frack do this posturing more for themselves than their causes.

I imagine there are others who could and have become involved, with genuine intent.

Anyway, sorry to derail.

Sharpton and Jackson are the faces of the black community. I didn't see Jackson speak but Sharpton was very clear that violence was not the answer.

Hard to argue with that

hedonist said:

Anyway, sorry to derail.

Sharpton and Jackson are the faces of the black community. I didn't see Jackson speak but Sharpton was very clear that violence was not the answer.

Hard to argue with that

Who says they're the faces? Because they (seem to, at least to me) capitalize on the too-many instances like this? Why aren't those in the black community the faces - and voices - of it, since they actually are?

And of course, most rational people don't condone the shit that's been going down. It doesn't take Sharpton to shine a light on that concept.

They only show up when the cameras are out.
    Or maybe the cameras show up when they are scheduled to speak?

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Anyway, sorry to derail.

Hard to argue with that

Who says they're the faces? Because they (seem to, at least to me) capitalize on the too-many instances like this? Why aren't those in the black community the faces - and voices - of it, since they actually are?

And of course, most rational people don't condone the shit that's been going down. It doesn't take Sharpton to shine a light on that concept.

I guess I would consider them as part of the black community....I mean given that they are in fact black.

Jackson was an assistant to MLK and has been part of the civil rights movement since it began. Sharpton was involved almost as long as Jackson.

You hate them....you spew the right wing talking points against them. That's your call.

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Anyway, sorry to derail.

Hard to argue with that

I guess I would consider them as part of the black community....I mean given that they are in fact black.

Jackson was an assistant to MLK and has been part of the civil rights movement since it began. Sharpton was involved almost as long as Jackson.

You hate them....you spew the right wing talking points against them. That's your call.
    I meant that they're not the faces of the black community. There are many many others, especially in the specific community in which this happened.

At any rate, if you're going to stoop to that last part ("hate", "right-wing talking points"?), not sure where you draw those conclusions but have at it. Not gonna meet you there.

edited August 2014
    Sharpton was there two days ago. I guess I'm curious how much sooner he should have been there in your book. It does take news some time to travel.

I'm not really a huge fan of either one of them for the record...but I can certainly understand why they would be involved.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

Sharpton was there two days ago. I guess I'm curious how much sooner he should have been there in your book. It does take news some time to travel.

Actually, these days, news travels pretty damned fast. But, I'm not the Rev's mother - no use for "should" when it comes to him. I'm someone putting my opinions out there.

And FYI, questioning someone's motives isn't equal to hating them. It'd be nice for that word to be re-thought before used so willy-nilly (much like "bully"). Thinking someone's disingenuous is not hate.
    CNN reporting Michael Brown was involved in strong arm robbery before getting killed ...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    None of this occurs if the two kids just get out of the middle of the road like the cop told them to. I'm not absolving the cop. He's a murderer. Shooting the kid when the kid grabbed at him? Alright fine. But when the kid has been shot twice and has his arms up in a surrender stance, you can't keep shooting him. That's insane. But still, get out of the road (what morons walk in the middle of the road when there's sidewalks anyway?) and none of this even happens.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

this is bullshit im sick of minority kids getting killed by cops who think they are the supreme law with no regards to human rights & to treat the press like criminals this is bullshit and it has to stop now .....

what about the ones killed everyday by other minority person's ?.....no rage over that is there, I mean as long they're killing each other that's o.k right ?
    so there's no need to burn down communitty business or loot them in that case right ?

Godfather.

and one other thing, can you imagine being a cop in a high crime and violence area ? I'm not saying cops are perfect there are some bad cops but but they do get death threats just because they're cops,they get shot at just because they're cops and they get killed just because they're cops.....that would make a person a little more cautious don't ya think ?

Godfather.

and one other thing, can you imagine being a cop in a high crime and violence area ? I'm not saying cops are perfect there are some bad cops but but they do get death threats just because they're cops,they get shot at just because they're cops and they get killed just because they're cops.....that would make a person a little more cautious don't ya think ?

Godfather.

Sure it would....but how does that justify killing Michael Brown when he's got his hands up, he's on the ground, and he's already been shot 2 times?

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103

Godfather.

I just can't believe you spelled 'cautious' correctly.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Too much killing everywhere. Bloody violent world.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    brianlux said:

Too much killing everywhere. Bloody violent world.

www.cluthelee.com
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    fucking insane!

maybe they should burn ferguson to the ground
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Godfather.

Sure it would....but how does that justify killing Michael Brown when he's got his hands up, he's on the ground, and he's already been shot 2 times?

Im not trying to justify anything Im pointing out that people get killed everyday and some by cops but soon as a black person gets killed by a cop or a white person all hell breaks loose,the larger percentage of blacks killed in violent crimes are by other blacks but you don't see looting and arson in that case do you.

Godfather.