What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited August 2014

I am sorry I did not get a chance to post on the Gaza thread before it got closed. But the title of this thread attracted me because it the song was made popular by Elvis Costello, who chose to divest, not play a murderous state 4 years ago, he didn't wait until hell on earth visited (yet again) a people in the biggest open air jail cell on earth.

I understand your sentiment brianlux, I do, but what Brynzie and Eddie were and are trying to say with lots of passion and yes, anger, is that this has to stop. You can be angry and passionate about peace, sometimes nothing can change us but disgust or desperation. Aren't Americans sick to know and see what is being done with their tax dollars? What your representatives are voting for and supporting? I read that the majority of Americans do not support America's foreign policy regarding israel. Then why are they getting 2 million dollars a day?

Let me pose this as peacefully as possible, Americans, I ask you why are your representatives sending money over to kill us, to maim and torture us, to literally decapitate our children, to basically wipe us off this planet?

If what you have been seeing does not make you angry, does not make you use whatever platform you have, whether it be a stage, a forum, a pen and paper, and do something to make this stop and never happen again, then there will never be peace for a lot of us and no there is nothing funny about that.

Of course we should speak out against atrocities. Has anyone here ever known me not to? Of course what I have seen and heard of world events gives me cause to be angry. Can anyone here really say you never heard anger in some of my posts? Of course we should be active. Of course we should do something. No one can claim I have done nothing. Far from it. I think you either are not familiar with many of the things I have said or misjudge me because I also say that I am anti-war, pro-peace, and for love. Why the disparity? I don't see it.

I'm sorry a few of you seem to have a problem with the idea of peace, of working for peace even in the midst of turmoil and atrocity- especially in these times.

As for peace being unattainable I will yet again quote Vaclav Havel: "Hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well. Hope is the conviction to do what makes sense no matter how things turn out."

It makes sense to me to work for peace. I hope you can understand that. I really do.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I am sorry brian, if you thought my post was fully directed at you.

I am sorry brian, if you thought my post was fully directed at you.

I did think it was, but that's ok. You seem to be writing from a sincere point of view devoid of sarcasm and personal jabs. I'm good with what you said and hope the same is true likewise. I appreciate your concern and strong feeling respect your point of view even though ours differ somewhat.

I still think the intent of that song by Nick Lowe is powerful and useful to consider even in lieu of the horrors going on today. Here's what Nick had to say:

As I walk on through this wicked world,
    Searching for light in the darkness of insanity,
    I ask myself, Is all hope lost?
    Is there only pain, and hatred, and misery?

And each time I feel like this inside,
    There's one thing I wanna know,
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?,
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

And as I walked on through troubled times,
    My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes,
    So where are the strong?,
    And who are the trusted?,
    And where is the harmony?,
    Sweet harmony

'Cause each time I feel it slipping away, just makes me wanna cry,

So where are the strong?,
    And who are the trusted?,
    And where is the harmony?,
    Sweet harmony

'Cause each time I feel it slipping away, just makes me wanna cry,

There's a lot of anguish and darkness in those words regarding the state of the world. Yes, we need to understand that and face it and stand up against the cruelty and injustice. Absolutely. But if someone also stand up for the notion of peace that makes them no less capable of being passionate. Love and peace are not all strings of flowers and hugs and la, la, la. It's kind of pathetic to me that there are some who would reduce love and peace to such inanities. Love and peace are also strong and bold and sometimes require a lot of personal sacrifice and pain- and I'm not just spouting cute quotes here. I believe we can feel both outrage and anger at injustice and at the same time be committed to the conviction that it makes sense to work for peace. Why some here (not you) have a problem with that is beyond me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

I am sorry I did not get a chance to post on the Gaza thread before it got closed. But the title of this thread attracted me because it the song was made popular by Elvis Costello, who chose to divest, not play a murderous state 4 years ago, he didn't wait until hell on earth visited (yet again) a people in the biggest open air jail cell on earth.

I understand your sentiment brianlux, I do, but what Brynzie and Eddie were and are trying to say with lots of passion and yes, anger, is that this has to stop. You can be angry and passionate about peace, sometimes nothing can change us but disgust or desperation. Aren't Americans sick to know and see what is being done with their tax dollars? What your representatives are voting for and supporting? I read that the majority of Americans do not support America's foreign policy regarding israel. Then why are they getting 2 million dollars a day?

Let me pose this as peacefully as possible, Americans, I ask you why are your representatives sending money over to kill us, to maim and torture us, to literally decapitate our children, to basically wipe us off this planet?

If what you have been seeing does not make you angry, does not make you use whatever platform you have, whether it be a stage, a forum, a pen and paper, and do something to make this stop and never happen again, then there will never be peace for a lot of us and no there is nothing funny about that.

Brother, I CANT apologize enough for what my tax dollars are doing to your fellow brothers and sisters in Gaza. I CANT apologize enough for my government sitting around doing NOTHING for your people while reloading that war machine. The tears, the anger, the screaming are all silenced by the sound of Israel's war drums and F16s, and for that, I apologize to you and your people. The words SORRY used to have merit, but now it doesn't do shit and I'm embarrassed for myself and my government. It's 2014 and THIS SHIT SHOULDNT BE HAPPENING.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited August 2014
    Byrnzie said:

Yo Beeezie....
    Take a break from the war and fire this up.

Thanks for proving my point.

My longstanding belief in pacifism is a perfectly valid point as well, a belief I feel absolutely no reason to talk down to you or anyone else to explain.

As I said before, in Imagine That---, you have no idea who I am or what my life experience is, so I would calmly suggest you keep your personal judgements concerning me or anyone else to yourself.

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    badbrains said:

Brother, I CANT apologize enough for what my tax dollars are doing to your fellow brothers and sisters in Gaza. I CANT apologize enough for my government sitting around doing NOTHING for your people while reloading that war machine. The tears, the anger, the screaming are all silenced by the sound of Israel's war drums and F16s, and for that, I apologize to you and your people. The words SORRY used to have merit, but now it doesn't do shit and I'm embarrassed for myself and my government. It's 2014 and THIS SHIT SHOULDNT BE HAPPENING.
    I totally agree with what badbrains is saying here, Viva. I sincerely hope you can understand that my voicing desire for peace does not condone our actions. They are wrong and I am sorry for that.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    At the risk of irritating Byrnzie....... :D

Really pretty version, and message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkDRjD11zo
    hedonist said:

Lenny, my favorite half Jew! Guys an animal when he performs. Seen him maybe 11 times in concert and never disappoints. Unless u were at the jones beach show 10 years ago. He Lenny, still waiting on that make up show buddy! U owe me!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

Byrnzie said:

Yo Beeezie....
    Take a break from the war and fire this up.

Thanks for proving my point.

My longstanding belief in pacifism is a perfectly valid point as well, a belief I feel absolutely no reason to talk down to you or anyone else to explain.

As I said before, in Imagine That---, you have no idea who I am or what my life experience is, so I would calmly suggest you keep your personal judgements concerning me or anyone else to yourself.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have zero interest in you. Not sure what gave you that impression.

And my name's not Beezie.
    badbrains said:

hedonist said:

Lenny, my favorite half Jew! Guys an animal when he performs. Seen him maybe 11 times in concert and never disappoints. Unless u were at the jones beach show 10 years ago. He Lenny, still waiting on that make up show buddy! U owe me!
    Haha...you rock, my friend.

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

badbrains said:

hedonist said:

He was with Lisa Bonet for years.Shes also half Jewish and African American.Good looking couple.
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

badbrains said:

hedonist said:

He was with Lisa Bonet for years.Shes also half Jewish and African American.Good looking couple.
    Wait till Zoe gets older, saw her at the Irving plaza show couple years ago and that young lady is gonna be super hot. I think she's 18???

Edit- holyshit she's 25 and hot.
    Post edited by badbrains on
    Holy hell, Bonet was...whew! Seemed like a chill person, too.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    badbrains said:

hedonist said:

His cameo on Entourage was comedy gold.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited August 2014
    True story:

Back years ago me and my gf went to see Lenny and I was rocking out in the front row because it started to rain before he got on and all the pussies didn't want to get wet. So I walked up to the front row, security didn't say shit to me. So I started playing air drums on every song with miss Cindy Blackmon (mrs Carlos Santana now). Lenny must of been watching cuz after like the 7th song he came over to me and started rocking out his solo right in front of me screaming at me like,"hell ya!" I was so Into the show that I didn't even know he was in front of me until everyone behind me started jumping on me. After the song was over, he pointed right at me. I felt dumb cuz I think I looked like an idiot, but everyone around me was high fiving me and jumping on me. At the end of the show, he looked at me and said," see u next time" while pointing at me. Lenny fucken kravitz is an OG. He fucken stole every show he opened up for. Just ask Aerosmith hahahahaha
    OK, that's it- another bucket list item. I wanna see you performing live some day, Lenny baby. Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Oh, and with Hedonist on supporting vocals and badbrains on drums (real OR air)! What do you say?

edited August 2014
    brianlux said:

OK, that's it- another bucket list item. I wanna see you performing live some day, Lenny baby. Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Oh, and with Hedonist on supporting vocals and badbrains on drums (real OR air)! What do you say?

I'm fucken IN. U ain't got to ask me twice! He fucken plays. Brian, GO SEE HIM LIVE, and TAKE your wife! B-) ;)

Edit- new album means new tour, get ready
    Just note - I can't sing for shit :D
    hedonist said:

Just note - I can't sing for shit :D

That's ok, fake it like I fake playing the drums. Works every time..... =))
    Will do, badbrains!

No worries you guys, my guitar playing sucks but I keep doing it regardless! :-D

Ok, everybody , "Fly Away" on three...

ONE, TWO, THREE...!

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Spastic have the right idea of peace they are like children of the 60's and are happy so I dont see why it cant work for the capable?
    Spastic? The capable?

I think I get what you're saying but if you could please clarify, that'd be great.
    edited August 2014
    Well the retarded only care about love and affection when it comes to human association and if there's an unfair dispute they carry on like children without pride like the capable of us and they go about settling matters and forgiveness easily like children they are like and let's face it children of the 60's were more innocent without pride or selfishness, so in general the retarded are all about the peace and love factor. Is that clarified enough for you ;)
    Post edited by JWPearl on
    JWPearl said:

Well the retarded only care about love and affection when it comes to human association and if there's an unfair dispute they carry on like children without pride like the capable of us and they go about settling matters and forgiveness easily like children they are like and let's face it children of the 60's were more innocent without pride or selfishness, so in general the retarded are all about the peace and love factor. Is that clarified enough for you ;)

"The retarded only care about love and affection when it comes to human association."

I didn't know we used that term anymore but I think we are OK without using euphemistic language here as long as we are not disrespecting what is normally referred to as "developmentally disabled" people. Yes, in my experience they are generally loving and affectionate.

AS for the rest of you post, I'm sorry, you lost me there.

I appreciate the further explanation, but...puppies do that too. Some of "the capable" do as well.

I'm also a bit lost. And while I'm not big on PC-ness, I'm a bit...uncomfortable as well.
    Never mind I can't be bothered sorry
  • Attitude is the real disability.

Why this thread again and why this song? 'Cause looking around this world at all the pain and hate and grief and shit going down, it just seems like the thing to do.

Here's a sweet instrumental version of this fine song by those very cool dudes in masks, Los Straitjackets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pan5C3ECSqU