Police abuse

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    unsung said:

Ok, now why does your response change because your attacker happens to be a cop?

Same thing, life or death. Fight back or submit?

if a cop attacks you, what can you really do?

the odds are against you.

first off the state is on the side of the cop. the cop will automatically have credibility in the eyes of a judge and jury so when you get hauled into to court, guilty or not, the cops handle the evidence, the cops write the reports, the cops cover for one another, so in court it is very hard to win.

now for the physical aspect.

it is not real hand to hand combat. the cop has a gun, pepper spray, a baton, handcuffs, body armor, etc. the cop also has, on his shoulder, a walkie talkie that if he speaks into it, produces more cops. all i would have on me would be my wallet, my phone, some keys, and my elbows. nobody wins when fighting a cop.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    thank you, gimmie

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    So we submit, and possibly die. Just like the guy in NY.

That is giving way too much power to a group.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

unsung said:

Ok, now why does your response change because your attacker happens to be a cop?

Same thing, life or death. Fight back or submit?

Till you've had a cop jump on you......

If you resist and cop identified himself your chances went down. Likely they have gun and I won't. If I had a gun not getting into gun battle with them. Yes it sucks but it is what it is.
    I have a fare idea :)) but I also know why it happened, I think in most cases these guys that get a beat down from a cop are already well known for some kind of trouble....not saying it's right but hay...if you can't pay don't play right ?

Godfather.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    chadwick said:

in my opinion you have a problem with all cops or anyone w/ authority of any kind. how about calm the frig down for once?

I have a problem when people abuse their "power", and no I won't calm down and accept it.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:

fife said:

unsung said:
    so question about this article. if you are a police officer responding to a break in and you see a dog coming around how would you respond? the article itself says that the owner could understand why the police officer shot the dog but didn't understand why the cop would not let the dog go to the vet.

my question for you is, lets say you hear a noise in your backyard and you went outside and right away you see a dog that you didn't know running to you, how would you respond?

I think raising issues of police violence is very important but this story doesn't really portray that.
    Unsung thinks cops should be bitten before they should look to defend themselves against... dogs. The owner even understood why the cop shot the dog. As for not allowing the owner to take the dog to the vet... who knows? They were responding to a house alarm according to the story. I'm going to assume that the cop was following protocol for house alarm callouts as well as for dog shootings instead of simply being cruel.

And in his crusade against every police officer in the country... he needs to posts these types of stories to try and make his case. For every one of these stories, there are countless others of cops doing good to great things. Every poor cop story is major news... but teeny weeny (yes... teeny weeny) little events in the bigger picture. Let's not set our hair on fire.

I'd go back inside.

I post these stories to show that police aren't saints, they aren't to be revered, they aren't immune to criticism. I don't care how much they make, I don't care about their problems, they signed up for the job. They can quit. Do something less dangerous, less stressful.

Those good cops out there that see the abuse of the bad ones but keep their mouths shut are just as guilty, can't violate that stupid thin blue line.

But yeah, they are just doing their jobs.
    I might be wrong here but who has said that all cops are saints? who here has said that they are immune from criticism?

can you please answer my question that is above? what would you do if you in the same position as that cop who shot the dog?
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    unsung said:

You are getting beat to the point of passing out, again you haven't done anything wrong.

What do you do? Be general. Do you pass out or do you fight back?

If your Life depended on it you would have no Choice but to Fight back...The Police here in Australia carry Guns unlike the Public...not to mention depending on the situation the Person would no doubt be outnumbered by the Police.
    unsung said:
    I find this story lacks any details. for example, were they driving erratically? did the cop smell anything in the car?

again, i would like to know more details before making any assumptions. again, why don't you respond to any questions to you about the last story you put up?
    It was answered. I'd use common sense.

See I believe that it's irresponsible to shoot a dog or a person without clearly accessing the situation. I've posted numerous reports of police shooting dogs, including shooting one through a car window.

Ironically many of you that don't want me to be able to carry a defensive firearm have no problem letting the police discharge weapons around children.

You really answered your own question btw.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I sense a straw man fallacy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • unsung said:

See I believe that it's irresponsible to shoot a dog or a person without clearly accessing the situation. I've posted numerous reports of police shooting dogs, including shooting one through a car window.

Ironically many of you that don't want me to be able to carry a defensive firearm have no problem letting the police discharge weapons around children.

He did clearly assess the situation. Just as you say you would have done.

If you bothered to read the piece you contributed, you would know that the owner stated that he understood why the cop shot the dog. So... the one person who would make the strongest argument against shooting the dog and be angry towards the officer for doing so... isn't.

Kind of tells you something about yourself... don't you think? Do you really stand behind your comment where you said you don't hate cops? It sure seems like you do.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

unsung said:

If you bothered to read the piece you contributed, you would know that the owner stated that he understood why the cop shot the dog. So... the one person who would make the strongest argument against shooting the dog and be angry towards the officer for doing so... isn't.

Kind of tells you something about yourself... don't you think? Do you really stand behind your comment where you said you don't hate cops? It sure seems like you do.

If you bothered to read it you'd understand that it's more than that and the officer refused to allow the animal to be helped.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

If you bothered to read it you'd understand that it's more than that and the officer refused to allow the animal to be helped.
    what is it more of. explain to me what the officer in that story did wrong? do you know what the protocol that the police office missed?
    He missed having compassion and common sense.
    unsung said:

oh please! that is so easy to say when you are not in their shoes. did he follow protocol? if yes then he did his job.

with so many stories to show how some cops are bad, you nit pick at one story. its a shame cause like I said before, police violence is a worthy topic that you belittle with this story.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    fife said:

unsung said:

oh please! that is so easy to say when you are not in their shoes. did he follow protocol? if yes then he did his job.

with so many stories to show how some cops are bad, you nit pick at one story. its a shame cause like I said before, police violence is a worthy topic that you belittle with this story.
    A whole lot of "trolling" going on here…

I guess that's why they call this section "Moving Train".
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited August 2014
    unsung said:

unsung said:

I had said so in an earlier response and Fife has since tried to help you understand that there are protocols- which have been established for good reasons- that police must follow when called to a home alarm and following a discharged weapon.

You keep insisting the officer was deliberately trying to be cruel. Others think that likely isn't the case.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I understand what others are saying.

He's a great cop, he was just doing his job, right?
    unsung said:

I understand what others are saying.

He's a great cop, he was just doing his job, right?

you might be reading what others are saying but i would say you are not understanding at all. you are showing him as a bad cop but you have not shown any reason to say that.

instead you say things like he lacks compassion whatever that means. again I will restate what i have said before and that is: with all the stories out there about about cops being abusive you pick a story about a cop who shot a dog after going to a house that had a potential break in and seeing a dog running at him. this is not a story of a bad cop.
    No, I do understand. I understand how he wouldn't let the owner try to save its life. He was just doing his job, following procedures.
    unsung said:

No, I do understand. I understand how he wouldn't let the owner try to save its life. He was just doing his job, following procedures.

I find it funny that you know downplay procedures at this moment since you always seem to like procedures and following the rule of law.
    edited August 2014
    A little older, owner sued police and settled for $50,000.

GRAPHIC

http://youtu.be/yF20qqIN7zs
    Post edited by unsung on
    unsung said:

A little older, owner sued police and settled for $50,000.

http://youtu.be/yF20qqIN7zs

Thats a sick video and I am glad that the police officer was sued. should have lost his job for that. I congratulate you unsung on showing a bad cop at work.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    i know 2 good cops...they both quit because you cant be a good person and get along in todays police force... Bosses wanted more life ruining citations, other police ostracized them for caring, threatened them to keep the silence on their sadistic ways. Always beating on "lowlifes" and molesting decent looking women. The kind of person who becomes a cop nowadays is usually the lowest caliber in most ways. Jocks who want to relive their power days, geeks who want revenge, and twisted 2nd and 3rd gen folks who believe they are above the law cuz their daddy and grandaddy was law men. Sad.
    Those who crave positions of power are the least appropriate people to whom power should be given.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    i know 2 good cops...they both quit because you cant be a good person and get along in todays police force... Bosses wanted more life ruining citations, other police ostracized them for caring, threatened them to keep the silence on their sadistic ways. Always beating on "lowlifes" and molesting decent looking women. The kind of person who becomes a cop nowadays is usually the lowest caliber in most ways. Jocks who want to relive their power days, geeks who want revenge, and twisted 2nd and 3rd gen folks who believe they are above the law cuz their daddy and grandaddy was law men. Sad.
    Those who crave positions of power are the least appropriate people to whom power should be given.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

sorry have alot of questions around this post. I will first say that cops are people and like every other person, some are good and some are really bad. I am a social worker and I know many social workers who are very mean people. I deal with police on a daily basis and have become friends with many of them. most police are good people who care about the public they serve, some are assholes who should not be a cop.

my question for you is what do you mean by saying "those who crave positions of power"?
    A good cop that ignores the behavior of the bad cops is just as bad if not worse.