What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
Jesus, Joseph and Mary, the pages are full of horrors and pain and war and death and hell and shit and shit and shit. Somebody please tell me, "what's so funny about peace love and understanding anyway?". Why not "give peace a chance"? Will "Love and Only Love" endure? I don't know if I should just run naked down the street and scream, "People. STOP FIGHTING!" or just go around and kiss everyone I see or what. Is it really to much to ask for peace and love in this world?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Where is that harmony? Sweet harmony"

I think the first step - one step - is being the change we want to see.

I don't know if there's more awfulness happening lately or we have more exposure to it.

Trying not to lose sight of the good shit is tough sometimes, but it sure helps from going bonkers.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    "So where are the strong and who are the trusted"

The trusted are definitely not the politicians, no matter which country we're talking about. I live in a neutral country and still our government is cringe-worthy to put it kindly. Although I have to say I was positively surprised that Austria was the second country to sign on to support 'Children of Peace' yesterday. This is an initiative to offer education and psychological help to children in war zones, so they have a future and are less likely to believe the tales from recruiters of extremist groups.

I think what we can do is not participate in or finance violence, try to be a positive influence to children so they don't grow up to be prejudiced towards others and keep our heads as hedonist said. And not shut up when corporations or politians with ulteriour motives want us to.

I wonder if this is ever going to stop considering there are people who grew up not knowing what peace feels like. Makes it easy for extremists to recruit the next generation and for greedy opportunists to make a fortune benefitting from the deaths of thousands.

On a more positive note: thanks for the ear worm, I won't be able to get Nick Lowe out of my head for the next three days.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited July 2014
    Actually the healthiest way to achieve change is happening right here on these very message boards,by all of us,right now.
    We are talking about,debating and pondering many points of view ,experiences,predujudices,and world issues.We are venting our frustrations,learning new perspectives and talking about what we just cant explain.We are doing it peacefully and respectfully and all under an umbrella of common ground,on a site sponsored by a band that has impacted all of us.For change to start a conversation must happen first.Other view points must be listened to and contemplated.Shit we are talking war,sex,religion,god ,land,taxes,immigration,philosophy,politics,etc basically all the hot button issues that usually are taboo talk in public.
    This is not only a great place to come and kill a few minutes to vent,learn and laugh but has also become some must read entertainment.Basically a good start .
    If for no other reason to not have Brian run around naked kissing people,screaming like a crazy man all hopped up on caffeine and bath salts.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rr165892 said:

This is not only a great place to come and kill a few minutes to vent,learn and laugh but has also become some must read entertainment.Basically a good start .
    If for no other reason to not have Brian run around naked kissing people,screaming like a crazy man all hopped up on caffeine and bath salts.

Hahaha! Thank you, rr! Phew! :-D

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I'm thinking Will Ferrell in Old school
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2014
    Communication is underrated...
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Sonja_S said:

On a more positive note: thanks for the ear worm, I won't be able to get Nick Lowe out of my head for the next three days.

Huh. I never knew he wrote that...used to love his music, especially Crackin' Up.

Fittingly, the line from that song comes to mind - "I don't think it's funny no more"
    hedonist said:

Sonja_S said:

Huh. I never knew he wrote that...used to love his music, especially Crackin' Up.

Fittingly, the line from that song comes to mind - "I don't think it's funny no more"
    The version most of us are more familiar with is Elvis Costello's which is great but here is Nick singing his great song. Love love love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAqAmLSIGU8

Now dry your eyes and get up and do a dance for peace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYPCP2RSXA

• AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    edited July 2014
    The only way to get closer to peace, love and understanding is to look for the common grounds instead of what divides us... And what rr165892 said, talking and listening to one another, surging together for these common grounds...
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    hedonist said:

Sonja_S said:

How true.
    This is a great version too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ywceG6onqg
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    With all the chaos going on all around the world it can be so nice to remind us that we can have some peace love and understanding. Ever since I've had my my surgery and hopping about in my cast people of all sorts down here in South Florida have been so helpful to me. Even at times when I don't need it, several explained they have been in my situation helping me with groceries and the like.

So my point it that there's good in all of us especially those on here but like in that Planet Of The Apes movie we certainly can turn on each other in the blink of an eye.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Sonja_S said:

hedonist said:

Sonja_S said:

How true.
    This is a great version too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ywceG6onqg
    Wow. Both of those Nick clips are just gorgeous.

It's interesting, the contrast between his sense of longing and Costello's anger in his version.

I think they both fit.

To g - thank you for that perspective. Here's to less of you hopping and more of you healing!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Peace and Love are awesome. Understanding is a different story.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    Awesome song. But is is a sad and scary time in the world right now. :(
    grooveme said:

Awesome song. But is is a sad and scary time in the world right now. :(

It is- the human world is majorly fucking up right now. A very good time to
    crank up positive vibes,
    talk the vicious animal down,
    be aware of one's breathing,
    do every thing possible to be considerate of others,
    dodge the bullets and follow the path of least resistance.

And maybe get a little wasted now and then. Yeah.

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    brianlux said:

Jesus, Joseph and Mary, the pages are full of horrors and pain and war and death and hell and shit and shit and shit. Somebody please tell me, "what's so funny about peace love and understanding anyway?". Why not "give peace a chance"? Will "Love and Only Love" endure? I don't know if I should just run naked down the street and scream, "People. STOP FIGHTING!" or just go around and kiss everyone I see or what. Is it really to much to ask for peace and love in this world?

Why don't you try doing something constructive about it, instead of just spouting meaningless inanities?

Your attitude is a cop-out.
    You wanna do something constructive? How about educating yourself on the issues that you appear to be disturbed by? Educate yourself on these issues. Then maybe you can contribute your knowledge by trying to change opinions? Maybe you can write to your local political representatives. Maybe you can sign petitions, and join demonstrations.

Then again, maybe you can just sit at home getting stoned and disrupt debates on internet forums with refeence to 'peace, love and understanding'. and 'dancing for peace', and 'spreading postive vibes', e.t.c.

Meanwhile, while you content yourself with such vacuous inanities, people are being blown to pieces with bombs that your tax dollars paid for.
    edited July 2014
    Breath and breath and breath and breath
    and breath.

or as a friend once said, "shitfuckdampisshell!"

OK, feel better now?

What a sad thing to be so angry
    toward someone you
    don't
    know
    jack
    fucking
    shit about.

Man, you don't know jack about me.
    Doing is what it's all about.
    These are only words.
    The whole forum is only words.
    The action is not here.
    Doing is everything.
    What more do you want?
    Cut my hair?
    Make a hair suite?
    What a pathetic thing to project so much anger
    toward someone you don't know
    jack fucking shit about.

And you might want to let a few of your own words out of the pen now and then and give them doggies a good run. Posting endless reams of links material is also a cop out. As is spewing anger, inciting others and hating yourself.

Post edited by brianlux on

edited July 2014
    brianlux said:

Breath and breath and breath and breath
    and breath.

or as a friend once said, "shitfuckdampisshell!"

OK, feel better now?

What a sad thing to be so angry
    toward someone you
    don't
    know
    jack
    fucking
    shit about.

Man, you don't know jack about me.
    Doing is what it's all about.
    These are only words.
    The whole forum is only words.
    The action is not here.
    Doing is everything.
    What more do you want?
    Cut my hair?
    Make a hair suite?
    What a pathetic thing to project so much anger
    toward someone you don't know
    jack fucking shit about.

And you might want to let a few of you own words out of the pen now and then and give them doggies a good run. Doing nothing but posting links is also a cop out.

I don't feel anger towards you. You're just projecting. I'm just irritated by all this lame hippy-shit nonsense that you keep posting.

You wanna go dancing in the street and kissing people, then go do it? You wanna sit around a camp fire and sing 'Imagine', then who's stopping you?

People are being massacred as we speak, and some of us are taking a stand against it. And I don't just post here on this forum. I've been active in many places.

Enjoy your flowers and hugs.

Post edited by Byrnzie on
    edited July 2014
    No really man, don't tell me what I do or don't do. You don't know jack about me. "Hippie?" Oh for Christ sake, what a stupid fucking crock of shit, Byrnzie. Go listen to Lou Reed sing "Viscous" and have some coffee and wake the fuck up, man. I'm gonna get an unwanted vacation here any minute. Just fucking let's put each other on ignore.

Sorry everyone, I hope Bz and I are done here.

You wanna do something useful?

Sign the petition. Stop your tax dollars being used to pay for bombs to be dropped on babies.

https://campaigns.amnesty.org/actions/us-stop-arming-israel

Amnesty International: U.S. government: Stop arming Israel

Dear Secretary John Kerry,

I am writing to express my outrage and concern about the rapidly deteriorating situation in Gaza and Israel. I call on the U.S. government to urgently suspend arms transfers to Israel and help ensure that a UN arms embargo is imposed on all parties to the conflict.

....Amnesty International is calling for a UN-imposed comprehensive arms embargo on Israel, Hamas and Palestinian armed groups. As the U.S. is Israel’s largest exporter of military, security and policing equipment, Amnesty International is calling on the U.S. government to stop sending arms to Israel that are being used to commit atrocities.

I therefore urge you to:

Immediately stop the transfer of all U.S. arms to Israel until there is no longer a substantial risk that such equipment or technology will be used to commit or facilitate serious violations of international human rights or humanitarian law. This includes ending the supply of all weapons, munitions, police equipment and devices, as well as training and techniques to Israel;

Help ensure that a comprehensive UN Security Council arms embargo is imposed on Israel, Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups until effective mechanisms are in place to ensure that weapons, munitions, and other military equipment and technology will not be used to commit or facilitate serious violations international human rights or humanitarian law.

US policy prohibits the provision of weapons where there is a credible expectation that they may be used in grave human rights violations. The U.S. government must act in accordance with its own laws and policies concerning weapons transfers.
    Sign an on-line petition? That what you call doing something?

I rest my case.

Yeah, it's something. It demonstrates a consensus, like a demonstration, or a march in the streets. It's a contribution.
    edited July 2014
    Striking my comments here. Byrnzie and I are good.

Doing something, anything is great. Sign petitions, organize rallies, write letters, anything. We all want to make the world better, not fight with each other.

Now this end-result leaves me...feelin' groovy :D

Good on ya both.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Online petitions are quite possibly the most useless thing ever.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 said:

Online petitions are quite possibly the most useless thing ever.

Probably so. I sign them figuring it only takes a small amount of time and I hope they do some tiny bit of good, but signing them not leave me with a feeling of accomplishment.

Actually,I was part of the Online Crowdfunder to bring Foo Fighters to Richmond.Instead of signing we bought tickets that didn't exist,to a show that Didnt exist.We got it ! Or I should say are getting it.So the power of the petition can have an impact,and people can create change or action.
    Sometimes when I read some of the hateful, spiteful posts on some of the threads on some of the forums here I get to feeling very depressed and hopeless. If we can't have be civil to our fellow fans on a forum based around a band that has done so much to promote civility, that has spoken out against hatred, that has championed the idea of working together, then what chance is there for this ailing world? I suppose I hope for too much, but I won't give in to the hate. I still believe in peace and I still think the world of this band and the majority of it's fans.