Global warming

I am not being a smart ass but is this cold because of global warming?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Think about it this way... what happens when you add ise to your glass of water?
    The water gets colder, right?
    That is what is happening. The polar caps are breaking off in big chunks and being carried off by the ocean currents. When the ice mixes with the warmer waters it creates unstable weather systems.
    The cold air we are experiencing has always been cold... the difference being, the cold air is usually at the Arctic region, not forced down to the Great Lakes region by the jet stream.
    That's basically it... it a very simplistic form. More ice being added to our oceans as global temperatures rise and breaks off huge chunks the polar caps and disrupts Eath's normally stable and fairly predictable short term weather system.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the cold is somewhat related to global warming

remember - all along global warming scientists have said that we would experience more extreme weather patterns ... the sudden changes from mild to deep freeze are examples, also - no snow on Vancouver Island, drought in places and flooding in the UK ...

the cold that much of North America they are saying is related to polar vortex where the lack of cold in the north is actually driving the cold south ... read up on it - it's not overly complex ...

but it's questions like this that made people change global warming to climate change ... which in the end didn't help with the understanding ... global warming is the fundamental problem ... the artificial warming of the planet is causing many problems ... the primary being climate change which is what we are seeing with these extreme weather events ...

it doesn't mean that the impacts are only reflected in a warmer planet
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    Thank you!!!
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I think john kerry said the polor ice caps would be completly melted by around this time,imagine the things we would find if the caps really did melt, extincnt animals even early humans
    different or new life forms that have been covered in ice for millions of years. who knows ?

Godfather.

I think john kerry said the polor ice caps would be completly melted by around this time,imagine the things we would find if the caps really did melt, extincnt animals even early humans
    different or new life forms that have been covered in ice for millions of years. who knows ?

Godfather.

The thing to consider is that weather is not climate. Weather changes day to day while climate is persistant over longer periods. Sort of like a baseball player's at bat is like weather... but climate is like the entire history of baseball.
    The Arctic caps will not completely melt away unless the roation of the Earth is change to where the poles are exposed directly to the Sun's rays. if that happens, we won't have to worry about what John Kerry said (or never said) because we'd all be gone.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Cosmo said:

Godfather.

The thing to consider is that weather is not climate. Weather changes day to day while climate is persistant over longer periods. Sort of like a baseball player's at bat is like weather... but climate is like the entire history of baseball.
    The Arctic caps will not completely melt away unless the roation of the Earth is change to where the poles are exposed directly to the Sun's rays. if that happens, we won't have to worry about what John Kerry said (or never said) because we'd all be gone.
    yes I have watched doc's on this kind of thing and even in gradual shift we would be done, but I'd still like to know what if anything is under that ice.

Godfather.

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    its not hard to figure somethings fucked ... in my neck of the woods where going from records -25 a few days ago to +6 and 20 mm of rain on the weekend and with the 50 cm of snow that has fallen since new years eve that should make for 1 hell of a mess and an interesting weekend.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    edited January 2014
    Alot of things are screwed up in the world and planet it doesn't mean we're going to get away with it no matter where we are...
    True fact...
  • Who really knows? The Earth goes through cycles, but also who's to say that all of the shit we do to this planet doesn't affect something?
    Virginia Beach, VA - 06/17/2008 Bristow, VA - 05/13/2010 Charlottesville, VA - 10/29/2013
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    There is no global warming!!

It is just a liberal plot to....

Raise your taxes
    Abort your babies
    Create more government
    Take away your guns
    Legalize gay marriage and marijuana
    And hide the truth about Benghazi

D'UH!!! :-O
    MW276301 said:

Who really knows? The Earth goes through cycles, but also who's to say that all of the shit we do to this planet doesn't affect something?

I wonder... Do the people here that think Mankind has no affect on Global Climate and believe it is merely a Liberal attempt to regulate American free markets... think it's okay for China to pollute at will in order to support their Capitalistic ends?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    So fucking cold ... All right, I'm in. We all need to start eating soy muffins and using sunflower powered cars.

Fuck the snow. Fuck it.
    Why didn't I pay to see the PJ Aussie tour? I could be complaining about the burning orb in the sky!
    Most importantly ... Why in the name of satan did I move away from San Diego????????????

I miss the whale's vagina .....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2014
    Sorry to burst any bubbles but local weather does not equal global climate. And Jason P, you may find yourself not missing California this summer if the current drought continues to be a severe as expected. We're likely headed for water rationing and widespread wild fires this summer. Folsom lake reservoir, for example, is at 17% of capacity and the NOAA long term forecast calls for increased (if that's possible) drought. The Sierras are all but bare of snow this year. But again, local weather does not equal global climate. Don't get caught up in that misleading thinking.

It's beautiful out here now though. Any one thinking about visiting California- this is a good time to do it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Brian ... I'll bring a boat ton of bottled water! I'll hook a hose up to my tap and drag it there!

The high forecasted for next Tuesday ... NEGATIVE 6!!!! Where are my soy muffins .....
    Jason P said:

Brian ... I'll bring a boat ton of bottled water! I'll hook a hose up to my tap and drag it there!

The high forecasted for next Tuesday ... NEGATIVE 6!!!! Where are my soy muffins .....

That's "soylent" muffins, buddy! :))

A high of NEGATIVE 6! Oh man! Yeah, I remember my two winter in western NY state. I thought I'd moved to Iceland.

Maybe think about moving back to San Diego during or after fire season. There's bound to be tons of jobs in anything related to fire fighting, building and rebuilding, and reclamation. Oh, and trucking in water!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

-3 right now. Cops are going start giving out tickets to anyone on the roads after 7pm.

They claim that your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker!
    @-)
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    This is Chicago's 13th coldest winter since 1872 and it is currently -10 with wind chills around -40.
    If you lived in California where it has been warm and dry for all but one week out of the last three months would you be declaring, "Damn, maybe global warming is real after all"? That would be foolishness. Please understand this: Local weather does not equal global climate. 2013 did not set any records for warmest year but the over all trend is upward. Click on "more" early in the article linked here and read and look at the stats. Notice how some years are cooler but look at the overall trend. Don't be fooled by unscientific and uninformed media. Don't be misguided in your thinking by your local weather. Listen to and read what the 97% of scientist who believe global warming is real are saying.

"Global Cooling"? I wish but, no, that's not what's happening.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2014/01/global-temperature-2013/#more-16736

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    http://www.coca-colacompany.com/position-statement-on-climate-protection

Is it convincing for a "libertarian", "republican", or "conservative" minded person when an international, free market corporation is concerned about it's effect on their bottom line? How about if it's a special topic at Davos among several large corps'?

probably not, we all know reality has such a liberal bias it is impossible to stomach for some...for jeebus' sake we still have to defend evolution and birth control!!! 'merica is just a sad..sad..sad sack a taters
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

This is Chicago's 13th coldest winter since 1872 and it is currently -10 with wind chills around -40.

And elsewhere it's the hottest on record. What's your point?

"It's raining right now. Therefore the sun is a hoax"

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    My point is that climates cycle.

You want to fix this? Crack down on China.

Someone should link that thread again that was on here a few years ago, it was really awful what China is doing.
    unsung said:

Someone should link that thread again that was on here a few years ago, it was really awful what China is doing.

It would be easier to crack down on China... if China wasn't following our lead. Remember, America is at the forefront of the idea that climate change has nothing to do with Mankind. If we're not going to do anything about it.. why should we expect China to change?
    Hail, Hail!!!
    unsung said:

You're absolutely right, unsung, climate cycles. But what we are experiencing now is an unprecedented cycle in that it is happening faster than any time before and the change is anthropogenic. And yes, China is a major player in that latter factor but their major contribution comes from industry and guess who drives their industry by purchasing their products- much of which is non-essential crap made to break in short order? Yeah, you-know-who. Lets not throw stones at China until we look at ourselves. On second thought, let's throw Stone at China. He seems to have a pretty good fix on environmental issues.

brianlux said:

unsung said:

You're absolutely right, unsung, climate cycles. But what we are experiencing now is an unprecedented cycle in that it is happening faster than any time before and the change is anthropogenic. And yes, China is a major player in that latter factor but their major contribution comes from industry and guess who drives their industry by purchasing their products- much of which is non-essential crap made to break in short order? Yeah, you-know-who. Lets not throw stones at China until we look at ourselves. On second thought, let's throw Stone at China. He seems to have a pretty good fix on environmental issues.
    The thing is... America denies that the increase in global temperatures is part of a natural Earth cycle and that we (Mankind) are not a contributing factor.
    If that is the case, then why would we think that China's industries are a contributing factor?
    I just want someone to explain that reasoning. If Man is not contributing to global warming, then, why would we hold China to task?
    Hail, Hail!!!
    unsung said:

so ... the second biggest contributor thinks the fix is cracking down on the biggest contributor?

bizarre ...

if the US spent all that money they do on WMD on generating clean energy ... they could truly lead the world in a democratic revolution ...
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    polaris_x said:

unsung said:

so ... the second biggest contributor thinks the fix is cracking down on the biggest contributor?

bizarre ...

if the US spent all that money they do on WMD on generating clean energy ... they could truly lead the world in a democratic revolution ...
    The US HAS cracked down in carbon emissions. My company closed two power plants last year because Obama and the EPA has made it to fucking expensive to burn coal. So yes, unless the world can somehow contain China on the emissions they are pumping out, all the jobs lost and carbon emissions "saved" here, will be for nothing.

The US HAS cracked down in carbon emissions. My company closed two power plants last year because Obama and the EPA has made it to fucking expensive to burn coal. So yes, unless the world can somehow contain China on the emissions they are pumping out, all the jobs lost and carbon emissions "saved" here, will be for nothing.

that's simply not factual ... the manufacturing sector died and so did emissions ... it's gonna come back as china starts pricing themselves out ...

look at emissions per capita and see where the US sits ... you haven't saved a thing ...
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited January 2014
    what exactly is not factual? The fact that my company closed two plants because it was to expensive to burn coal? Or was it the fact that the people working at those plants lost their job? Or the fact that since those two plants aren't burning coal, that those are carbon emissions not being put in the atmosphere?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on