PEARL JAM: REISSUE YOUR CATALOG ON VINYL

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited December 2013 in The Porch
This is getting annoying. I don't even fucking buy vinyl, but it just makes ZERO sense to me that this band who "spins the black circle" can't help out their fans and reissue their catalog on vinyl when they are paying hundreds, and in some cases, over a thousand dollars to get the first presses.

I get it. Benny was a limited run of 2000. So reissue it with variances. Make the box fucking puke green or something so the originals "retain their value" so not to piss off those who spent hundreds and years tracking one down.

When other bands put out vinyl nowadays, and it goes out of stock, they RESTOCK IT. Vinyl is no longer a niche market. Every goddamn big box store sells turntables now. Is this not a hint?

PJ20 vinyl went out of stock quick. You did a great job with the vault 3 release of it being made to order.

Reissue the fan club singles to current members. You hate flippers so much? PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS.

Stop selling at these pop up shops for market value. Seriously.

Reward your fans as much as they've rewarded you. You do so live. Why not with your studio music as well?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• YOU FINALLY PUT A VINYL SECTION IN GOODS. NOW FILL IT.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    :thumbup: I would buy a record player if they started doing this.. :lol:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Agreed. I would love this. HFD lays out very good points.
  • TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    You know how hard it is to sell vinyl that nobody wants...

That's the problem, with all art it is very difficult to determine what supply to create to match the demand. Say they re-stamp 5000 Benaroya Hall LPs, in a strange twist, it turns out nobody really wants the re-stamped version and they sit in the shop for 5 years while at the same time disenfranchising the owners of the original pressing.
  • landolando Posts: 661
    You sir are correct on every point made!
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • mookieb10 wrote:
    Agreed. I would love this. HFD lays out very good points.

Hugh's mad because- feeling left out of the Seattle pop up shop experience- he ventured out into the cold for a northern music hunting foray. The only vinyl he found at the Winnipeg Rock Shop was a scratched Helix album and a warped Headpins. :lol:

But, he's right. Less falla sheep and more vinyl makes perfect sense.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    The thing that I find odd about bands who have not jumped on the vinyl reissue train is that this is essentially the only format that allows bands to sell their music. No one buys CDs anymore - people just download them/copy them. But vinyl sells because people want the physical product.

If the reissued the catalog tomorrow I would buy every single one without hesitation, as would hundreds, probably thousands of others around here.

So what is stopping them?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • lastexitlastexit 10923 Posts: 257
    BeerBaron wrote:
    The thing that I find odd about bands who have not jumped on the vinyl reissue train is that this is essentially the only format that allows bands to sell their music. No one buys CDs anymore - people just download them/copy them. But vinyl sells because people want the physical product.

If the reissued the catalog tomorrow I would buy every single one without hesitation, as would hundreds, probably thousands of others around here.

And then all the others beyond the ones lucky enough to scoop up the hundreds of re-issues would bitch at the Tenclub because they didn't release them when they weren't sleeping, at work, etc. The Tenclub can't win.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    They reissued Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy. Those are their biggest selling albums(by a long mile) and are widely available at cheap prices today. All the other albums are really a niche market. 10c members and die hard non 10c members would swoop on a Binaural reissue but how many would they actually sell? A few thousand if that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a reissue I just don't see it happening on a large scale.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    BeerBaron wrote:
    My guess is Sony/Epic.
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    This is getting annoying. I don't even fucking buy vinyl, but it just makes ZERO sense to me that this band who "spins the black circle" can't help out their fans and reissue their catalog on vinyl when they are paying hundreds, and in some cases, over a thousand dollars to get the first presses.

I get it. Benny was a limited run of 2000. So reissue it with variances. Make the box fucking puke green or something so the originals "retain their value" so not to piss off those who spent hundreds and years tracking one down.

When other bands put out vinyl nowadays, and it goes out of stock, they RESTOCK IT. Vinyl is no longer a niche market. Every goddamn big box store sells turntables now. Is this not a hint?

PJ20 vinyl went out of stock quick. You did a great job with the vault 3 release of it being made to order.

Reissue the fan club singles to current members. You hate flippers so much? PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS.

Stop selling at these pop up shops for market value. Seriously.

Reward your fans as much as they've rewarded you. You do so live. Why not with your studio music as well?

+ infinity.

And I have all of the original studio albums (sans lost dogs) but still believe all should be reissued.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited December 2013
    no question this is the rightidea,can do a vault 3 stle preorder,so press -sell as many thr preorders.
    i m not sure how this works with sony and if they are the problem etc..just assuming
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Post of the year :)

Let the Records Play ( not sit in shrink wrap)
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    BeerBaron wrote:
    /quote]

I'm willing to bet that they sold 50 times more cds than vinyl of Lightning Bolt. Vinyl is surging, yes, but it still makes up a very tiny % of the overall market
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Post of the year :)

Let the Records Play ( not sit in shrink wrap)

:D
    Bingo
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    no question this is the rightidea,can do a vault 3 stle preorder,so press -sell as many thr preorders.
    i m not sure how this works with sony and if they are the problem etc..just assuming
    This is probably the best idea from a financial perspective.
  • even HMV is selling vinyl now. I asked a worker there, who said "yeah, we can't keep up with the demand". Come on, people, the writing's on the wall.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • if it's a question of Sony, then use your millions upon millions of dollars to buy back the masters. or let Sony have a percentage. Yes, they have reissued the first 3, but even first presses of those were not the biggest sellers on the secondary market. subsequent albums were. Look at Lost Dogs, RVM, Riot Act, Binaural. Jesus, put them out already.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • loffy81loffy81 Posts: 153
    +1 Not remixed or anything just reissued original recordings.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    if it's a question of Sony, then use your millions upon millions of dollars to buy back the masters. or let Sony have a percentage. Yes, they have reissued the first 3, but even first presses of those were not the biggest sellers on the secondary market. subsequent albums were. Look at Lost Dogs, RVM, Riot Act, Binaural. Jesus, put them out already.
    now u said that..i think,im not sure,one of the biggest plus companies as Sony has maybe is the promotion..
    i mean Sony does the whole,so any band dont have to spent money on that part,cos Sony got it coved..
    maybe behind that idea, the whole target-backspacer deal was about..sure isnt cheap to do a record alone,
    and ofcourse,once again,i agree with you about the reissue,this need s to happen
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • if it's a question of Sony, then use your millions upon millions of dollars to buy back the masters. or let Sony have a percentage. Yes, they have reissued the first 3, but even first presses of those were not the biggest sellers on the secondary market. subsequent albums were. Look at Lost Dogs, RVM, Riot Act, Binaural. Jesus, put them out already.
    now u said that..i think,im not sure,one of the biggest plus companies as Sony has maybe is the promotion..
    i mean Sony does the whole,so any band dont have to spent money on that part,cos Sony got it coved..
    maybe behind that idea, the whole target-backspacer deal was about..sure isnt cheap to do a record alone,
    and ofcourse,once again,i agree with you about the reissue,this need s to happen

the target thing with backspacer was having a partnership with a distributor. PJ doesn't need the promotional money of sony anymore to put out a record. they have their own machine now. which is why most bands are happy as shit to get out of their contracts and do it alone. although, Trent Reznor left a major, did it himself for a while, then went back to a major. he said doing it alone "was too much of a headache". But he's one guy. PJ have a team.

I think the idea of the reissued box sets was that sony wanted to do that, and PJ was pressured to do it, and so they said "we'll do it if we can do it our way". But now they are tired of all that work that goes into it, so they don't want to anymore. if they reissued their albums on vinyl, they probably wouldn't make any money off it. But that's not the point. the only things bands profit from now is touring and merch.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    The only PJ record I dont have is Benny. I hold out hope of getting it one day but I cant see them ever reissuing it. There's plenty of other great stuff they could release on vinyl.
  • I agree. I'm kinda surprised the studio albums haven't been rereleased on vinyl already. A lot of bands have had reissues recently, the Foo Fighters had all their albums rereleased a year or two ago. Surely if anyone's back catalog would sell on vinyl, Pearl Jam's would.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    loffy81 wrote:
    +1 Not remixed or anything just reissued original recordings.

If "or anything" means remastered from the original tapes, why bother?

They should ditch the current reissue system and start from scratch with fully analog mastered for vinyl releases.

The made to order idea might seem like a great idea, bit that's just gonna be another flippers paradise. Given the low numbers they'd probably press, they'd probably be more valuable than the original presses in a short period of time.
  • Count me in, I'd particularly like No Code and Yield - it will happen at some point I'm sure......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    When they continue the catalog re-issues....it will be done : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • vedderoffdeadvedderoffdead Posts: 684
    edited December 2013
    I think it's ridiculous that we've gotten Mother Love Bone, Temple Of The Dog, Mad Season & Brad reissues yet we can't buy half of PJ's catalog on vinyl without taking out a loan. Stop writing songs about vinyl and actually release some. Just a thought
    Post edited by vedderoffdead on
  • I think it's ridiculous that we've gotten Mother Love Bone, Temple Of The Dog, Mad Season & Brad reissues yet we can't buy half of PJ's catalog on vinyl without taking out a loan. Stop writing songs about vinyl and actually release some. Justa thought

:lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • When they continue the catalog re-issues....it will be done : )

but they won't be reissuing the entire catalog. only the sony stuff, right?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If Pearl Jam re-released their catalog on vinyl I would purchase (to start with) "Riot Act", "No Code" and "Self-Titled" so fast it would make my credit card spin circles on a desk top.

Come on guys, SPIN SPIN!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.