Falla sheep a fad?...clutter mag now has them

QA185761QA185761 Posts: 271
edited December 2013 in The Porch
This PJ merch/limited/etc has to stop.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,999
    Always had them. Popaganda sold out within the day, clutter mag (affiliated) had them about a week later still to this day, and PJ shop had them for a limited time.

What's the question or Concern? They might be a fad for some, collectible to others, piece of shit to others. People are not forced to buy these things. Options that's all.

:)
  • Options
    Not so much a concern but an observation. I really don't want to re-hash an old thread but it just seems that the latest thing now with certain merch is "limited, rare, etc", hurry buy now, buy before its gone! etc

Ron Englishs' own store was sold out and still is, creating "popularity" of falla sheep.

For awhile clutter mag had them then they too sold out. Now cluttermag has them again.

10c merch had some for awhile then sold out. Had them again and sold out again.

ebay is still selling them (expected from flippers)

So for awhile the falla sheep were extremely hard to get and then a few weeks later they were easy to get. Then they sell out creating the cycle again because now the sheep are available - by the caseload if you want.

Again it just seems that the popularity/availabilty of the latest certain PJ items have been going up and down very, very fast. I am not a collector for monetary value I just like to obtain certain merch that appeals to me when it becomes available as do many others I presume.

I have been a member for 20yrs and don't recall so many PJ items becoming so valuable/popular so fast.

It just seems that initially some merch comes out quickly with a story of how "it has been in the making for a long time behind the scenes collaborated w/ so and so and PJ" get it now before its gone. Then the PJ merch/forum gets over-run with threads about not being able to purchase because the items were sold out.

The whole sevens issue was an insane mess in the forum. People didn't seem to notice that it was a Pre-sale. More will be available in the future so why the big panic.

What is it in some consumers that make items instantly a must have. It is creating needless upselling within 10c. If I want to by a record/sheep/scarf whatever it should not come with the added panic of buy now, hurry, buy, buy before its gone this is a limited item with a kicker of "It is recommended that you continue fully to checkout if purchasing a limited item"

Hope this wasn't to long of a ramble to read. And if you did read this, thanks.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    I've seen a lot of negativity towards the band/10C for the way this album has been marketed and for the Kiss-like merch movement, but people need to start using their own brains and stop blaming the band. While I do believe that the way these things, along with posters and t-shirts, are sold by the band have exacerbated it, it's the fans that have created this hysteria on things other than what matters and what brought us here...the music.

When I see things like "I NEED a Wrigley poster" on here, it makes me sad. Not getting a poster or t-shirt from a show should not diminish your concert experience. Ever since I realized that, the shows I am lucky enough to go to are much more enjoyable. It's cool to have a souvenir, but my memories (and the recording) are what matter.

It's just stuff people. Music and tickets are what matter (to me).
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you don't want to rehash an old thread, then don't rehash an old thread. I get what you're saying, but you can not control what the band does. What you can control is whether you choose to support them or not. At the end of the day, if you don't want to support a band that puts a precedent on merch and limited items, there's a lot of music out there, and you can support a band who's principles more closely align with your own.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    QA185761 wrote:
    The whole sevens issue was an insane mess in the forum. People didn't seem to notice that it was a Pre-sale. More will be available in the future so why the big panic.

"Pre-sale" means that you are paying for the item before it's release date. It doesn't mean there will be mass stock on release date. Especially when they already specified it was an extremely limited quantity. (Think Temple of the Dog purple vinyl, for example.)
  • Options
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you don't want to rehash an old thread, then don't rehash an old thread. I get what you're saying, but you can not control what the band does. What you can control is whether you choose to support them or not. At the end of the day, if you don't want to support a band that puts a precedent on merch and limited items, there's a lot of music out there, and you can support a band who's principles more closely align with your own.

I don't think you are a jerk by saying that.

I do support the band. Supporting also entails asking questions about observations to better understand something.
  • Options
    QA185761 wrote:

"Pre-sale" means that you are paying for the item before it's release date. It doesn't mean there will be mass stock on release date. Especially when they already specified it was an extremely limited quantity. (Think Temple of the Dog purple vinyl, for example.)

I didn't look at it that way, interesting. I guess it is my gut feeling that there will be more available in the not to distant future. ;)
  • Options
    Another example -

The latest tweet from tweetdeck on the homepage as of right now. "LB MP3 limited time on amazon"

What is going on? Has this place become the shopping channel?

:roll:
  • Options
    QA185761 wrote:
    Another example -

The latest tweet from tweetdeck on the homepage as of right now. "LB MP3 limited time on amazon"

You forgot a pretty important part. ON SALE for a limited time. It's $3.99
  • Options
    QA185761 wrote:
    Another example -

You forgot a pretty important part. ON SALE for a limited time. It's $3.99

Hey, thanks for even giving me your time.

Again, I didn't read the fine print, its 3.99

That's great, why/how was this was not offered on Oct 15th to coincide with LB release?

I really hope this thread does not turn into the Ramone thread.
  • Options
    I think it's a Black Friday-Cyber Monday deal. Amazon and Google Play both have the mp3 album for $3.99 right now.
  • Options
    Especially when they already specified it was an extremely limited quantity. (Think Temple of the Dog purple vinyl, for example.)[/quote]

Wasn't really a part of the whole Temple of the Dog Purple vinyl issue. How did that go over?
  • Options
    Oh just comparing the limited production on that to Sevens. When the release date came, all that were pre-ordered was all that there was (i.e there wasn't a sudden mass stock of purple vinyls for everyone to buy on release date. The rest of us had to order regular old black vinyl.)
  • Options
    Good insight.

When TOTD was offered in purple was black available as well or was purple offered first and once it sold out was it then that black became available to "everyone else"?

I am asking because if sevens truly is a one shot deal I am concerned that from now on PJ merchandise will no longer be a simple thing it will become a convoluted mess (read "list")

It used to be click on forum, purchase item, done.

Now the merch webpage is filled (loosely) with items that are sold out.

Not complaining just trying to re-iterate my initial post succinctly; don't advertise something you can't provide.

Sevens, one of some items that are sold out are still being advertised on the merch website which in turn generates false advertising, which in turn creates absurd value to an object that you can't purchase in the first place.
  • Options
    I am finally figuring out how to stay in the thread.