Thoughts from a long time fan club member

dcuellardcuellar Posts: 39
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I'm on my second bottle of wine and listening to PJ on random. So I'll give it to you in bullet form:

1. Lightning Bolt tour is THE best tour of their career. Hands down. And anyone who says otherwise wants to make a 16 year old who discovered PJ on Rock Band feel bad for not being alive in 1993.

2. PJ fans are awesome. Except for the ones who roll their eyes after you say you wouldn't mind "Sometimes" as an opener.

3. Or the ones who think seeing "Let My Love Open The Door" with Eddie is the same as seeing it with Pearl Jam.

4. Eddie is focused.

5. Where's the "Last Soldier" sign?

6. Elderly Woman gave me more chills than the obscure song that's only been played 10 times in 13 years.

7. Pendulum is the one song that will remind me of this tour. Awesome opener.

8. Baba O'Riley never gets old.

9. Where's the "Thumbing My Way" sign?

I'll stop there. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Please add more to my list. . .
  • Sometimes is a goddamn great opener. LA 1998
    Boulder 11/26/93, Denver 3/7/94, Red Rocks 6/20/95, LA 7/14/98, Palo Alto 10/31/99, San Diego 10/25/00, San Bernadino 10/28/00, Denver 4/1/03, Denver 7/2/06, LA 7/09/06, Hollywood 7/12/06, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/6/09, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 5/6.22, LA 5/7/22
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    dcuellar wrote:
    1. Lightning Bolt tour is THE best tour of their career. Hands down. And anyone who says otherwise wants to make a 16 year old who discovered PJ on Rock Band feel bad for not being alive in 1993.

I agree with this, listening to older bootlegs I don't understand what it is I missed out on until 09, I think people just like rubbing it in other peoples faces that they've been a fan longer and PJ was better back when they started seeing them live.
  • - Mike's playing is better than ever this tour

- There has yet to be a bad setlist so far on this tour

- Breath is one of the coolest tunes ever live, I am surprised it is not a set list regular like SOLAT

- Eddie's vocals are very strong and on point
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    - There has yet to be a bad setlist so far on this tour
    ^^this.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • FaezaMFaezaM Posts: 152
    I have to agree...

...esp about Eddie's vocals. Usually, artists' vocals get weaker & change for the worse as they get older; it seems to be the opposite with EV.
    Shows:
    Madison Square Garden, NYC, July 2003 (BEST Concert of ALL TIME)
    Oracle Arena, Oakland, CA, November 2013 (2nd BEST Concert of ALL TIME)
    ***Milan, IT, June 2014****
    ***Trieste, IT, June 2014***
    ***Berlin, DE, June 2014***
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Phoenix was fucking awesomeness personified
  • RiotZact wrote:
    dcuellar wrote:

I agree with this, listening to older bootlegs I don't understand what it is I missed out on until 09, I think people just like rubbing it in other peoples faces that they've been a fan longer and PJ was better back when they started seeing them live.

Don't get me wrong. It was magical when the band went into jams in 92, 93, 94, 95 that was completely random. Save it for Later is now a standard. Daughter tags are not as unique as they were in 93 and 94. Porch is not a high five you got in 95. But overall, the energy of the crowd and band is unbelievable. This tour is very similar to the 2000 tour where you wanted to buy every single boot they released.
  • 1. Bouncing up and down with thousands of strangers during "Given to Fly" never gets old.

2. Hearing "Release" at LA1 brought tears to my eyes.

3. Like previous tours, I met some amazing people. Some I will keep in touch with. Others were my best friend for that one special tour date in L.A. or San Diego.

4. Each concert is drastically different than the previous night.

5. I could go on forever, but will stop here.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    And dnt forget to add the return of angry eddie! 8-)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    1. release into long road....wow.
    2. set lists are awesome this tour.
    3. best tour since 98 hands down.
    4. green bulbs during porch
    5. I wish I could have seen more shows. argh.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    1. Pendulum is an amazing opener
    2. Wasted Reprise in Hartford was touching
    3. Indifference with the lights on and the crowd singing is the best.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i agree ,they are at their best

and Mike is from another planet..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The percentage of 3+ hour shows on this tour would blow away any previous tour.

With the release of Lightning Bolt the catalog has never been better.

Mike is on fire.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    Love this post.
    The Portland show Friday was a classic.
    They are firing on most cylinders.
    But unless Eddie starts swinging from the rafters again, I still don't think anything can top the the Pearl Jam 1993 show with Neil Young at the Gorge (two days after this http://youtu.be/oPIb2uL_wDI) or the marathon Drop in the Park Seattle show in Seattle in 1992.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    What's most amazing to me besides the music and shows they've provided up to this point, is the fact at how much they have brought people to together. I've only been to 7 PJ shows, and I can't say it enough how many amazingly cool people I have met and consider good friends through this band. I'm fortunate enough that I have gotten to a very good point in my life now where I have the finances and ability to go see PJ pretty much wherever and whenever I want, and they've given even more of an excuse to travel to see them in places I probably would put on the back burner to go and see. I'm now making my first trip to Seattle to see them play the last show on what's been a legendary tour, will be seeing friends I have met through the PJ, and I'm sure will meet and make some more. To me, that is the icing on the cake when it comes to seeing them play and makes each show even more special.

And I agree with everything else the OP stated. Man, when it boils down to it - we are very lucky to have this band and their music. Good times.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    LloydXmas wrote:
    1. Pendulum is an amazing opener
    2. Wasted Reprise in Hartford was touching
    3. The crowd singing in Hartford was the best.

Fixed, and, yes.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    JimmyV wrote:
    The percentage of 3+ hour shows on this tour would blow away any previous tour.

Spectrum 4: "We aren't playing shows this long no more, never again." They're coming close on this tour.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Sometimes is a goddamn great opener. LA 1998

^My first PJ show^

Two openers every show

Multiple closers every show

30+ setlists every show

The band is having fun. I saw Stone do his duck walk in Philly.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Its been said before, but I don't think it can be stressed enough that THE BAND IS HAVING FUN. It shows. Mike has NEVER sounded better. It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings to hear Love Boat Captain more.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Its been said before, but I don't think it can be stressed enough that THE BAND IS HAVING FUN. It shows. Mike has NEVER sounded better. It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings to hear Love Boat Captain more.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Seeing this band live is, for every fan of rock and roll (or music in general), a must do, great experience. After fifty years of listing great music and seeing it performed live, seeing Pearl Jam live is one of my all time favorite music experiences.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.