23 years later..

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited November 2013 in The Porch
and they put out an incredibly solid and awesome album.

I know it's just shy of a month since the release, but I havent posted much...

I LOVE Lightning Bolt, it's not even me being bias. This album is so so so good.

Infallible
Pendulum
Lightning Bolt
Getaway
Yellow Moon are my fave's..
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Acesn8sAcesn8s Posts: 186
    I agree. I love this album. I have listened to it at least twice a day, in it's entirety, almost every day since it came out.
    Indio, CA 11-05-93
    Universal City, CA 09-30-09
    Los Angeles, CA 11-23-13
    Los Angeles, CA 11-24-13
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    After the initial excitement, you come to realize how very well-thought and balanced the album is produced. It has elements that might be appealing to both long-time hard-core fans and casual listeners. It has experimentialism in it, yet wouldnt repel the mainstream.

I agree that it is the start of a period of production that is ultimately to raise the band to an iconic status in all time.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • jumbojet wrote:
    it is the start of a period of production that is ultimately to raise the band to an iconic status in all time.

so long as they don't continue to make everyone wait for 4 years between cuts...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • I just find it incredible that a band can still have so much drive and passion to deliver a top class album to its fans. Ah well it took a few years, I had the 'into the wild' soundtrack and Eddie's ukulele to keep me company until ^^
    Oh middle of the night we're stopped the freeway shoulder.
    A frank's shovelling to bury the leftovers.
    A they're sunk. He's drunk.
    Now he's gonna drive, I'm hiding in my bunk. Oh.
  • I have to be truthful, I absolutely loved Mind Your Manners & Sirens when I first heard them... this made my expectations for Lightning Bolt pretty high. Once I bought the album, it took a few days on repeat at work to really fall in love with it. But, fall in love I have, and I couldn't be more pleased with how the new songs sound live!!! Yellow Moon, Infallible, MYM, and Getaway [easily my favorite] are exceptional songs... If I have one gripe, it would be that they put Sleeping By Myself on the record. I DO like the song [though the ukelele version is much better] but I guess a different song would be more pleasing than a recycled one... altogether, a more than solid effort! I'll probably be listening to it for the next 3 months straight :D
    PJ: Toledo-9/22/96. E. Lansing-8/18/98. Detroit-8/23/98. Detroit-10/7/00. Detroit-6/25 & 6/26/03. Toledo-10/2/04 [VFC]. Detroit-5/22/06. Chicago-8/5/07 [Lolla]. Cleveland-5/9/10. Baltimore-10/27/13.

EV: Honolulu-4/21 & 4/22/07 [Kokua]. Detroit-6/26/11.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    On about 40 listens so far and that doesn't even include listening to audience recordings of new songs :shock:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • After 23 years still absolutely incredible and lightning bolt is truly amazing..

I really thought they may have been on a decline after backspacer (still and incredibly awesome album but there worst in my opinion) but then they release lightning bolt that has just put me in awe! Best album they have released in a long time possibly since no code! Really impressed and look foward to future releases!
  • Great great album. Listening everyday in full since early October. Only song I can't get into is let the records play. What a cheesy half ass song. If of the earth was in its spot....whoa
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    jumbojet wrote:
    it is the start of a period of production that is ultimately to raise the band to an iconic status in all time.

so long as they don't continue to make everyone wait for 4 years between cuts...

Four years is indeed a long time b/t albums. BUT...if that's the incubation period required at this point in their career for them to create an album of this quality then so be it :)
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    I love it more and more with every listen... but I had to cut myself off last week. I think i'll let it brew a few more weeks, then do a 5 album marathon..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • jjflash wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:

Four years is indeed a long time b/t albums. BUT...if that's the incubation period required at this point in their career for them to create an album of this quality then so be it :)

I agree with you. The more I listen to the new album, the more I like it. I've spun it 2-3 a day since I got it, and it continues to grow on me. My post was more in reference to all the bitching about the big window of time between releases. I never had an issue, but lots of people got whiny about it.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    I would have never dreamed that a band whose been around so long could come out with such a kick-ass album after such a long absence. That’s the beauty of Pearl Jam though, you never know exactly what to expect from them.

I had the honor of seeing them on the day Lightning Bolt was released, so I guess that made the new songs that much more special to me. Sirens is simply a work of art, and most of the other songs on the CD are pretty damn awesome as well.

I haven’t listened to any other band since Oct. 15th, I guess you could say I’m going through a serious Pearl Jam bender.
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I think about this a lot too. 10 albums in, 23 years later, and the band just released something truly spectacular. We are lucky!

Not to mention this tour....holy crap THIS TOUR! They've been on fire. Can't wait to see what's next!

Top 5 at the moment: Getaway, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Sirens, Lightning Bolt
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • I gotta say, this album didn't lock me in at first but I'm all about it right now. Even the songs I don't love overall have certain elements that I really like, whether it be a lyric, guitar fill, or a interesting bridge.

I'm glad they kind of experimented a little more on this album than Backspacer. I'm a big fan of Backspacer because I thought it was the right time to make a straight-ahead, accessible, melodic rock record with some really solid hooks. But I definitely missed Mike's presence, Jeff's creativity on the low-end, and Stone's ability to play very diverse parts from song to song.

LB seems to capture what every band member does best, even if it doesn't flow very well at times. At first listen, I thought the energy dropped off after Infallible but I'm appreciating Side B more and more as I listen. Even "Let the Records Play" which I thought I would hate forever.

And I really think Future Days is a special track. I haven't heard much love for this song, but I think it's beautiful. The bridge is incredible with the lyric, "When hurricanes and cyclones raged..." Very powerful.

My initial feeling was 7.5 / 10 but I think I'm at 8.5 now.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    This album is so fucking good. I wish I had words to describe it better, but I don't.
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    TinAnt wrote:
    This album is so fucking good. I wish I had words to describe it better, but I don't.

I couldn't of said it better!!!!!!!!

I am loving Swallowed Whole, Infallible, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Yellow Moon, oh heck I love them all. Thank you PJ for an awesome album, it was worth the wait :thumbup:
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    jumbojet wrote:

I hope not. I want to believe that the boys have a new-found energy and desire for creativity in themselves. All this talk about mortality in this album. They just wanna use their gifts while they can to share and enjoy their music with their fans.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I'm really liking it. What I noticed is that after seeing three shows and hearing the same LB tracks at each show, I was excited to hear them each time. I can't say the same about, for example, "Just Breathe," which did not hold up as well during the Spectrum run. Yellow Moon just is a vastly superior song.

It is good to see that the inspiration is still there, even if there was a long wait. Then again, I've been so busy, four years flew by. :shock: I'm still trying to finish the bathroom we were renovating around the Spectrum shows. :fp:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    This album is amazing. I've been playing it non-stop since I got the CD in the mail 3 days before it released. And the 4 times I saw them this tour, I can't put into words. The energy they still have after 23 years is amazing. May be (more than a little :lol: ) late, but I picked a really great time to get into this band. :mrgreen:
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    and they put out an incredibly solid and awesome album.

I know it's just shy of a month since the release, but I havent posted much...

I LOVE Lightning Bolt, it's not even me being bias. This album is so so so good.

Infallible
    Pendulum
    Lightning Bolt
    Getaway
    Yellow Moon are my fave's..

Jeremy has spoken and boy is he right! This album rocks. IMO it has a special feeling that has not been seen since Yield. The other albums since Yield have their place but L-Bolt has an air about it that elevates it for me?