So, who is excited?

:corn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P0cUBi4hwE

11/01/13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I can't be excited. I found that book long ago. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors.

Ender is such a bad ass! I live my daily life from what I learned in that book.

I'm sad and happy it's now a movie. It deserves to be. I just hope the general themes/lessons are in the film.

It came out in 1985! There are 7 or 8 books in the series. I'm not sure if It can be general audience material.

I need to read what Card's people say. Is it coming out Friday?

Every time I have sold or recommended that book, the reader puts it in their top 5.
    I'm really nervous about an adaptation.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I am. I haven't read it since middle school, and I don't remember a whole lot, but I remember I really liked it. I'd be interested to see the movie because I remember I couldn't picture at all what the fuck the guy was talking about when describing this war game/simulation thing they played. And a lot of time was spent on that.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    I am. I haven't read it since middle school, and I don't remember a whole lot, but I remember I really liked it. I'd be interested to see the movie because I remember I couldn't picture at all what the fuck the guy was talking about when describing this war game/simulation thing they played. And a lot of time was spent on that.

I don't want to spoil anything. But you read it in school.... meaning you were required to do it and you liked it!
    Score.

Imagine playing Halo only to find out it was. And Ender was 9yrs old. Such a smart protagonist. I really hope it adapts to film well.

He's a little kid with these amazing tactical skills, he never learned, they were just instinct.
    Amazing. He wasn't meant to survive. ;)
  • Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    I loved Ender's Game but it has been about 20 years since I read it. Ill have to read it again before seeing the the movie. Definitely a bit skeptical.
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    great books, I hope the movies do them justice
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Super Excited.
    One of my fav books.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    great books, I hope the movies do them justice

agreed...

I loved the books so much... it would be great if they did a follow up with Bean's story after the initial movie...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I know it is only a trailer, but it gave me the impression it is not going to be sticking close to the book. Either way, I hope its good.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I've never heard of this.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I know it is only a trailer, but it gave me the impression it is not going to be sticking close to the book. Either way, I hope its good.

Agreed on both counts
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    If it's a hit do you think they'll make "Speaker for the Dead" ?
  • Options
    If it's a hit do you think they'll make "Speaker for the Dead" ?

Hmmmm..... Maybe. I liked that one a lot
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Some very good movies have been made that were in no way faithful to the books, you just have to go in not expecting it to be a rehash of the book. The Bourne films, The Shining, Jaws, Dracula, etc. Consider it a supplement to the book as opposed to a definitive live action version or something. The Shining and Jaws are movies that are better than the books in my opinion. Especially Jaws, all the bullshit about the Mafia and Hooper sleeping with Brody's wife weren't needed. The Godfather had a bunch of unnecessary bullshit too, like the whole plot line about Lucy and her giant box in Vegas during her life after Sonny.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Ender's Game is my favourite novel. Despite OSC's personal beliefs and opinions I still regard this book in the highest esteem. I cannot wait for the film; even if it is 10% as good as what I'm expecting, it will be better than 90% of the films out there these days.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I can't be excited. I found that book long ago. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors.

Ender is such a bad ass! I live my daily life from what I learned in that book.

I'm sad and happy it's now a movie. It deserves to be. I just hope the general themes/lessons are in the film.

It came out in 1985! There are 7 or 8 books in the series. I'm not sure if It can be general audience material.

I need to read what Card's people say. Is it coming out Friday?

Every time I have sold or recommended that book, the reader puts it in their top 5.
    I'm really nervous about an adaptation.
    Really??? WTF?!? WellWTF for two reasons why must we dumb down a book
    By turning it into a movie?? Oh yeah we're classless lazy fucks whom
    CANNOT be burdened by the patterns of reading!! I HATE IT when Hollywood
    Destroys a classic book by making a movie out of it.. You just Can't really relate
    the true entity of a book into the shadow of film! I guess I'll have to know who's
    Developing the conversion, and who is directing to be able to say I approve or not!
    And Stacy!!!! 7???? Can you PM all the titles?!?! I've read five, but I may have read
    them out of order and had no idea there were two others!! Thanks !
  • Options
    Destroys a classic book by making a movie out of it.. You just Can't really relate
    the true entity of a book into the shadow of film! I guess I'll have to know who's
    Developing the conversion, and who is directing to be able to say I approve or not!
    And Stacy!!!! 7???? Can you PM all the titles?!?! I've read five, but I may have read

Sure why not? ;)

First Meetings
    Ender's Game THIS IS WHERE I STARTED.
    Ender's Shadow (Note: The events of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow take place in roughly the same time period.)
    A War of Gifts (Note: This takes place during Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow.)
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant
    Ender in Exile (Note: This takes place during Shadow of the Hegemon and through Shadow of the Giant)
    Shadows in Flight
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED.
    Children of the Mind
    Shadows Alive

They were published in this order....

Ender's Game (1985)
    Speaker for the Dead (1986)
    Xenocide (1991)
    Children of the Mind (1996)
    Ender's Shadow (1999)
    Shadow of the Hegemon (2001)
    Shadow Puppets (2002)
    First Meetings (2002) – short story collection
    Shadow of the Giant (2005)
    A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (2007)
    Ender in Exile (2008)
    Shadows in Flight (2012)
    Earth Unaware (2012)

So it's up to you. :lol: How you want to read them
  • Options
    Ender's Shadow takes place at exactly the same time as Ender's Game... just through the eyes of Bean
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    STAYSEA wrote:

Sure why not? ;)

First Meetings
    Ender's Game THIS IS WHERE I STARTED.
    Ender's Shadow (Note: The events of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow take place in roughly the same time period.)
    A War of Gifts (Note: This takes place during Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow.)
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant
    Ender in Exile (Note: This takes place during Shadow of the Hegemon and through Shadow of the Giant)
    Shadows in Flight
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED.
    Children of the Mind
    Shadows Alive

They were published in this order....

Ender's Game (1985)
    Speaker for the Dead (1986)
    Xenocide (1991)
    Children of the Mind (1996)
    Ender's Shadow (1999)
    Shadow of the Hegemon (2001)
    Shadow Puppets (2002)
    First Meetings (2002) – short story collection
    Shadow of the Giant (2005)
    A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (2007)
    Ender in Exile (2008)
    Shadows in Flight (2012)
    Earth Unaware (2012)

So it's up to you. :lol: How you want to read them
    Thank you!!! So I wasn't too off!! I just didn't know about
    The 2012 releases! Lol
  • Options
    My buddy snagged some passes to an advance screening tonight. Since high school, the Ender saga has been among my favourite series of books. Cannot wait to see it on the big screen, though I know I'm going to be overly critical of it.
  • Options
    My buddy snagged some passes to an advance screening tonight. Since high school, the Ender saga has been among my favourite series of books. Cannot wait to see it on the big screen, though I know I'm going to be overly critical of it.

Fair enough
  • Options
    Spoiler free review:

Going into Ender's Game I was scared. I am a big fan of the series of books. I can't remember how many times I've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Like any adaptations, I worried that my favourite scenes would be omitted, the story would be dumbed down and it would be made into more of a child's movie.

I was wrong.

Right off the bat the movie quashed my fear that it would be made into a more accessible film for children. The violence of the books remained and maintained. The child actors did a great job at being relatable to adult viewers, while Harrison Ford played Graff perfectly, as a grizzled veteran who knows what needs to be done. The man didn't hold back at all.

Overall, I was impressed, and relieved that my favourite book was not ruined by Hollywood. My ranking on imdb is a perfect ten (I rounded up from 9.5 due to the necessary speeding up of the plot).

Other highlights include:
    *Bean's character is perfect (except for his height
    *the visuals, they're stunning
    *the emotions portrayed by the children, I didn't think they could pull that off
  • Options
    Spoiler free review:

Going into Ender's Game I was scared. I am a big fan of the series of books. I can't remember how many times I've read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Like any adaptations, I worried that my favourite scenes would be omitted, the story would be dumbed down and it would be made into more of a child's movie.

I was wrong.

Right off the bat the movie quashed my fear that it would be made into a more accessible film for children. The violence of the books remained and maintained. The child actors did a great job at being relatable to adult viewers, while Harrison Ford played Graff perfectly, as a grizzled veteran who knows what needs to be done. The man didn't hold back at all.

Overall, I was impressed, and relieved that my favourite book was not ruined by Hollywood. My ranking on imdb is a perfect ten (I rounded up from 9.5 due to the necessary speeding up of the plot).

Other highlights include:
    *Bean's character is perfect (except for his height
    *the visuals, they're stunning
    *the emotions portrayed by the children, I didn't think they could pull that off

That's great news! I'm very excited to see the film
  • Options

That's great news! I'm very excited to see the film

I think fans of the book won't be disappointed. Yeah, there are changes and things are rushed, but it still succeeds as a whole.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Super excited.

I was going to get passes for tonight but my buddy has kids and would get the bad dad of the year award skipping out on halloween ( stupid kids!)
    We saw the exhibit and panel at SDCC this year so we want to see it together. I have to wait untill tuesday but i'm excited to check it out :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I have the afternoon off, and need to kill some time while my car is in for work. Seriously considering seeing this again.
  • Options
    As a fan of the books, upon second viewing, there were a few parts I felt could have used fleshing out. I'll wait until more people see it and discuss it further in a spoiler friendly thread.
  • Options
    It was awesome

Liked it a lot
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    looks awful
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    looks awful

K
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Saw it this weekend. I though it was good for what it was and entertaining. I knew that they would have to cut stuff from the book to make it work over 2 hours.

But I think Gavin Hood really missed on a lot of the overall themes from the book that he maybe could have got across in the movie. That could be because he had to force a lot of stuff into 2 hours. And some of it was just his screenwriting.

Really wish this book had been picked up by HBO. Could have worked great over a few 8-10 episode seasons to watch the kids grow.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...