*** Charlottesville Fanviews Here 10/29/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
University of Virginia
John Paul Jones Arena
Charlottesville, VA
Oct. 29, 2013
Set List

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. Release
(Ed sings “Oh dear Lou” in the last verse. Presumably referring to Lou Reed who passed away the previous Sunday)
03. In My Tree
04. Corduroy
05. Go
06. Why Go
07. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(during the guitar intro Ed says, “Good evening, we’ll talk later. First I have a story to tell you.” starts singing.)

08. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(Ed says, “I remember exactly when this next song was written. It was right on Virginia Beach thirteen years ago when we were last here. We were really struggling with some things at the time. I also noticed that this is the anniversary of Hurricane Sandy. It is nice to know that after all those tragedy’s that we can find ourselves in this cozy building with you”.)
09. I Am Mine
10. Swallowed Whole-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
11. Faithfull
12. Wishlist
13. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(after the song is over Ed says “thanks a lot” and starts strumming his 12 string acoustic and singing the “a-ah, oh oh” outro. The audience joins in and they sing a couple of rounds of the outro. Not unlike the “Black” outro sing along)
14. Jeremy
15. Grievance
16. Glorified G
17. The Fixer
18. Down
(early in the song Ed sees something he doesn’t like happening. He asks if something is wrong and stops the band. The house lights come up and Ed says, “I think this is going to get sorted out quickly.” After a very brief pause Ed says “That was just a speed bump.” The band starts back into the song).

19. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1
(Ed jokes about how cool it would be if the 12 year old in the front had his first sip of wine at a Pearl Jam show. He says we will talk to our accountant and see if we can set up a fund in case the kid ends up at AA. He says “this next song we haven’t played this tour because it is so fucking depressing.” He apologizes to the parents for saying “fuck” so much in front of the kids. He thanks the audience for taking such good care of each other and that except for that one person it is great that it is safe for the kids to be up front.)

20. The End
21. Thumbing My Way
(this one is about getting out of college or not even getting into college or working a job that isn’t the one you wanted...hopefully when you get out of college their will be jobs to have.)
22. Sleight Of Hand
(Ed starts to play “Future Days” then asks the band if they can change the order. Stone starts playing “Footsteps”.
23. Footsteps
(“That last song is such a beautiful piece of music. You can say that when you didn’t write it. That music is so good and they let me write a song to it. Chris Cornell wrote a song to it and I think Andy Wood wrote a song to it. Let’s thank Jeff and Stone for starting this all off. And can we thank Matt Cameron for playing in two fucking bands? Okay, let’s turn the cameras off and get this over with. Ed goes down and pours something into a cup and says “That is for the Dad, you can do whatever you want with it.” (this refers back to Ed wanting to give some wine to the 12 year old in the front). Ed then laughs and says, that “is Gatorade. No wait, that was the wine...No, it was the Gatorade...well that is what some people call it.” Ed promises to talk about Mike later and introduces Boom.)
24. Future Days-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
25. Mother-(Waters)
26. Given To Fly
27. Whipping
(“This one doesn’t get played a lot. There are more surfers in Virginia than people realize”)
28. Big Wave
29. Sad
30. Porch

Encore Break 2
(Ed mentions a sign he sees about Lou Reed. Jeff plays a line of “Walk On The Wild Side”. Ed says, “Let’s, on the count of three, maybe he can still hear us, say ‘we love you Lou’.” Ed counts off and the audience complies.)
31. Breath
32. State Of Love And Trust
33. Alive
(Ed brings the young man up on the stage. Ed notes they knew every word to every song. Ed says that is great that kids are so into the band because they will at least have an audience of 2 people into their 80’s. Ed notes, “This is the Led Zeppelin arena” Mike starts playing Led Zeppelin riffs. Ed corrects himself, “oh no John Paul Jones arena)
34. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
35. Little Wing-(Hendrix)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Whoa! They ended the show without Indifference? Or RITFW? Or YELLOW LEDBETTER? :shock:

qIhdqTo.gif
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    faintjw7.gif

wish i was there. def. gonna get this one.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    Definitely gonna be THE show to top. An unbelievable setlist & crowd. Amazing show. Love this band. Oh and played WISHLIST again. I dreamed of hearing it once but twice in a row.. Wow
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    Speechless....literally, I've lost my voice, lol. Amazing energy from the crowd and the band...look at the setlist, need I say more.
  • A GREAT show, glad I was there!
  • Footsteps.....

Arg
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Amazing show! Easily top 5 of the 30 plus shows I have seen! Sad, In My Tree, Down, Thumbing my way, Mother...come on! unbelievable!!! Only not so stellar aspect was the fact that 10c members who sold their tix or did not show up...crowd around us in Sec 103 was excited or talking at odd times and not into the rarities...several open seats as well. But seriously a simply incredible show!!!
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Holy shit, that set :shock:
    Thumbing!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    that was unique..wow

thanks Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Try to beat that first five:
    Pendulum
    Release
    In my tree
    Corduroy
    Go
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    edited October 2013
    What a freaking show...instant classic!!! I have no voice left...unbelievable energy from everyone...tenclub tix were just awesome... Front row 103... Show of tour, no doubt. What an awesome venue. Everything was perfect tonight.

I went to baltimore and just no comparison. One of the best pj shows of modern day era. This show had it all and one of best crowds I've experienced in modern day era.

How am I going to calm down and sleep before Charlotte?
    Post edited by mcrok on
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • How do they keep fucking topping themselves!?!?! Can't wait for Charlotte tomorrow!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • I got nothing, that was such an incredible night. I will never forget it.
  • Grievance, Down, and Thumbing my Way?! Are you kidding?

I would have cried and cried. Lucky you! Anyway has a video of Thumbing my way?
  • CimeCime In My Tree Posts: 51
    Happy band, happy crowd, great setlist. Loved it!!! Eddie swinging from the light was priceless.
    Minding my manners
  • phfyrebyrdphfyrebyrd U.S. Posts: 17
    I was in Baltimore the other night and thought it was phenomenal.

But you lucky bastards got most of my dream setlist: Thumbing My Way, Footsteps, In My Tree, Breath.....

If I weren't so jealous, i'd be sad. This is the boot to buy.

C-ville, you're a beautiful city and you got the show you deserved. Congratulations.
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense.

NYC 5/21/10; Buffalo 10/12/13; Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Show
    of
    the
    TOUR!

Credit this band for playing many of their better songs that fans want to hear, that we don't get enough of. What an amazing and blistering start.

People love: In My Tree, Breath, Down, Faithfull, Thumbing my Way, and others (Lowlight, Long Road, Leash, Last Exit) way more than they see they are heard live. Hopefully they'll take from this night and play them more while sitting others.

Slot this one along side Columbia, Grand Rapids, and other Shows of the Tour. It was that magical tonight, and so very different from Sunday.
    phfyrebyrd wrote:

But you lucky bastards got most of my dream setlist: Thumbing My Way, Footsteps, In My Tree, Breath.....

C-ville, you're a beautiful city and you got the show you deserved. Congratulations.

I'm sorry but if this set list was played in baltimore we would have heard crickets and seen a lot of sitting...no comparison as far as venue, crowd, etc
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • milanmilan Posts: 447
    Fucking Hell
    Frighteningly Good

Enough said
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • tottototto Posts: 291
    Just got back to my room after the show. Met some great people. Had no idea what to expect but song after song kept saying "no shit". Everything today made me worry about the show. Security was over the top, wrist bands for beers, 4 beer max, no drinks in the bathrooms. It turned out to be one of my best shows. Love the town and had fun after the show. What ever issues the band had two nights ago got worked out. Ed was poring wine in Jeff's mouth after he served the minors. It's all good.
    Milwaukee, 7/8/95
    Milwaukee, 6/30/06
    East Troy, 9/3/11
    East Troy, 9/4/11
    San Jose, Costa Rica 11/20/11
    Manchester, England 6/20/12
    London, Canada 7/16/13
    Chicago, 7/19/13
    Charlottesville, 10/29/13 *** Favorite Show****
    Milwaukee, 10/20/14
    Chicago, 8/20/18
    Boston, 9/4/18
    St. Louis, 9/18/22
    St Paul, 8/31/23
    St Pau,l 9/2/23
    Austin, 9/18/23
    Austin, 9/19/23
    Chicago, 8/29/24
    Chicago, 8/31/24
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Fuck.... Thumbing.

Fuck.... I wish I went for this and a few others. Idk how the crowd was but on paper this looks like the tour winner so far. Absolutely came out of left field with this one.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
    milan wrote:
    Fucking Hell
    Frighteningly Good

Enough said

Right, it is one of those nites that u just can't describe all that went down except to say BADASS!
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    mcrok wrote:
    phfyrebyrd wrote:

I'm sorry but if this set list was played in baltimore we would have heard crickets and seen a lot of sitting...no comparison as far as venue, crowd, etc

You sure about that? Come on!
    Milwaukee, 7/8/95
    Milwaukee, 6/30/06
    East Troy, 9/3/11
    East Troy, 9/4/11
    London, Canada 7/16/13
    Chicago, 7/19/13
    Milwaukee, 10/20/14
    Chicago, 8/20/18
    Boston, 9/4/18
    St. Louis, 9/18/22
    St Paul, 8/31/23
    St Pau,l 9/2/23
    Austin, 9/18/23
    Austin, 9/19/23
    Chicago, 8/29/24
    Chicago, 8/31/24
  • wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 291
    Thank you intuition. so worth a trip from Wisconsin.
    totto wrote:
    mcrok wrote:
    phfyrebyrd wrote:

You sure about that? Come on!

Positive...I was there...ppl seated during "habit"..read the reviews....the band brings it for college towns...not sure why everyone was not expecting the show we got tonight...history shows a pattern
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    wiscojam wrote:
    Thank you intuition. so worth a trip from Wisconsin.

no shit me too, fly back tomorrow.
    Milwaukee, 7/8/95
    Milwaukee, 6/30/06
    East Troy, 9/3/11
    East Troy, 9/4/11
    London, Canada 7/16/13
    Chicago, 7/19/13
    Milwaukee, 10/20/14
    Chicago, 8/20/18
    Boston, 9/4/18
    St. Louis, 9/18/22
    St Paul, 8/31/23
    St Pau,l 9/2/23
    Austin, 9/18/23
    Austin, 9/19/23
    Chicago, 8/29/24
    Chicago, 8/31/24
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    I can't believe I was on the rail for this fucking show, best night of my life, by far.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • This show was mind blowing! The band was on fire, having a great time on stage, the crowd was on fire. It was a special night.

THANK YOU TEN CLUB!!! I was on the rail right in front of Stone next to some great people. Most of us it was the first time seeing the band this close. During Corduroy I was watching Stone while jamming out to the song, Stone looks dead at me and start shaking his head. My wife and I got to touch Mike's guitar. She was in heaven. Was able to grab a few Eddie and Mike picks also. Eddie must love Batman... one had the bat mobile and the other had Bat Girl. Another Stone moment, he was standing in front us at the end of the show and I'm jumping and pointing and hollaring "STONE, STONE", he looks and smiles and waves. Can't say enough about how these guys interact with their fans all night long.

This was my one and only show of this tour and good lord was it an unbelievable show and I cannot wait to hear the boot.
    Virginia Beach, VA - 06/17/2008 Bristow, VA - 05/13/2010 Charlottesville, VA - 10/29/2013
  • So JEALOUS!!! :!: :!: :!:

Big Wave, Down, Sad, Whipping, SLEIGHT (was hoping for this at any of the three I hit), and not closing with RITFW, Alive, OR Ledbetter?!?

KNEW I SHOULD HAVE MADE THE TRIP!!
    2008 - Camden 1
    2009 - Philly 4
    2012 - MIA, Philly (21st B-day, PJ Twitter contest winner!!!)
    2013 - Philly 1,2. Baltimore
    2016 - Philly 1 (Club box), 2 (GA, Thanks to bbison)

"I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    ok. we have a winner.