Options

Admit it, Ed has regressed as a songwriter/lyrcist

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I disagree with the OP, but respect his opinion. Not everyone likes the same things...that's the beauty of being an individual. Relax, folks. Go outside & take a walk.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    edited October 2013
    Ok, lets settle down and keep it civil. Im just bustin balls and i really like the new record. I think the OP is 100% wrong but agree SBM sucks bad.

I have to go to soundcheck. Take it easy people.

Anyone is the mood for Buffalo wings?
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • Options
    Im having fun. This is great.

that's called being a troll.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Dillion, is it you again dipshit? Your another negative poster on here. have at it champ.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited October 2013
    What we are seeing here is an OP who is trying to dress up their opinions as fact

As far as I am concerned this is a very strong album

+1, it's music, it's subjective. I think he's as good of a songwriter as ever.

It was meant to be a bit insulting/jarring ...that usually stirs up the pot and gets people thinking (well, some, anyway).

"meant to be insulting / jarring" with the intention of stirring the pot sounds a lot like trolling to me. . . . just saying.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    Hey Merkin, I like ur pic in the Avatar..is that what its called?

I have that poster framed on my wall. Was a great concert in Hartford that night. Energy was incredible except for the pepper spray.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Dillion, is it you again dipshit? Your another negative poster on here. have at it champ.
    :lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    What we are seeing here is an OP who is trying to dress up their opinions as fact

+1, it's music, it's subjective. I think he's as good of a songwriter as ever.

It was meant to be a bit insulting/jarring ...that usually stirs up the pot and gets people thinking (well, some, anyway).

"meant to be insulting / jarring" with the intention of stirring the pot sounds a lot like trolling to me. . . . just saying.

given the fact that i'm engaging in (what i see as) meaningful conversation and contributing ...i don't see this as trolling.
  • Options
    Don't agree. Ed still writes great, moving songs which touch everyone in different ways. Someone used Thumbing My Way as an example of his poor songwriting. That song moves me to tears sometimes so I have to disagree.

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one but they're not that interested in someone else's
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    Hey Merkin, I like ur pic in the Avatar..is that what its called?

I have that poster framed on my wall. Was a great concert in Hartford that night. Energy was incredible except for the pepper spray.

My 1st show, yeah it was incredible. I was up on the lawn, luckily I was not near the pepper spray incident (wherever that was, I did hear about it).

And yeah, it's one of my favorite concert posters too. It was about 12 years or so before I found a decent size reprint of the poster on e-bay - it's no original, but it's good enough. I'm psyched to have it framed on my wall, it's beautiful.
  • Options
    I do agree the "Admit it" part...was very poor choice of words. Can you edit that? Troll.

What does trolling mean?
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    teeman wrote:
    This thread is like congress: I don't agree with either side but am fascinated watching them battle it out!

OP, you're entitled to your opinion. I disagree respectfully, and really don't like the "admit it" at the front of your post. I find it condescending to those who do like the music. However, you get some of those points back for using the word "maudlin."

Those criticizing the OP, I totally disagree with the whole "start a band" argument. What if I don't like a 300 million dollar blockbuster film? Should I go out and make my own? Same thing with songwriting. I can't write a song worth a damn, but I sure know what I like and don't like!

For what it's worth, I like Just Breathe and The End, less into SBM and Future Days, love Into the Wild, like Ukulele Songs, and am really digging Lightning Bolt so far.

Gets me thinking that I've been insulted, I guess.
  • Options

"meant to be insulting / jarring" with the intention of stirring the pot sounds a lot like trolling to me. . . . just saying.[/quote]

given the fact that i'm engaging in (what i see as) meaningful conversation and contributing ...i don't see this as trolling.[/quote]

How meaningful to you is a conversation that you started by being intentionally insulting? You're clearly not fishing for good positive reactions with your choice of words.

But hey, I also think EV is a great songwriter, so we disagree on many things. None of this makes either of us right.

EDIT: (apologies for hacking the quotes / colors)
  • Options

stay classy.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153
    Let's be realistic. Ed hasn't written a good acoustic song in years. The acoustic tracks that he wrote on Lightning Bolt are just atrocious college-dorm-room G-D-C strumming stinkers. His lyrics are just god awful going back to Backspacer. 'Just Breathe', 'The End', 'Future Days', 'Sleeping By Myself' ...all of them are just plain bad. Even as songs qua songs they just aren't very good ...at all.

Be honest, if you heard a song on the radio with these lyrics you wouldn't give it a second listen:

I should have know there was someone else
    Now I'm alone I always kept it to myself
    Now I believe in nothing
    Not today as I move myself out of your sight
    Oh I'll be sleeping by myself tonight

You would laugh and think it was horrible and would probably wonder why you stopped on an adult contemporary/soft rock station anyway. His lyrics are just so damn maudlin and juvenile even as far back as 'Love Boat Captain' which, by the way, these songs make look like lyrical genius.

I will say, however, that Getaway is a solid tune.

I agree with the Op. But then again, I've never considered Ed more than a middling songwriter for the past decade. Still, I usually appreciate the songs.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Joe,

ur posts a are all very negative too. Do this, go put Vitalogy on and just enjoy it.
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Joe,

ur posts a are all very negative too. Do this, go put Vitalogy on and just enjoy it.

Is this post not negative?
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    This is, by far, their best album. Ed never used to write good acoustic songs. Ever since ITW, every single one has been great. They are really at their best when Ed and Mike are writing the songs. Stone and Matt are just not very good writers. I'm renewing my membership.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    I'd just like to say "thanks" for this post, and every other in the last few months (years) where we get to hear that this song sucks or I like this song but not that one and this one should have had more guitar in the mix or Brendan O'Brien is ruining the band with his Svengali-like control he has and blah blah blah blah...

Oh shit, now I've just gone and done the same thing
    Boulder 11/26/93, Denver 3/7/94, Red Rocks 6/20/95, LA 7/14/98, Palo Alto 10/31/99, San Diego 10/25/00, San Bernadino 10/28/00, Denver 4/1/03, Denver 7/2/06, LA 7/09/06, Hollywood 7/12/06, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/6/09, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 5/6.22, LA 5/7/22
  • Options
    Nope - Ed is a warrior poet
  • Options
    The problem is this is so opinion based that there is going to be no conclusion reached by everyone and accepted as truth

When the OP says "regressed", is there a clear definition of what a "good" songwriter and a "bad" one are? Because there isn't - that is largely personally defined. How can we say he has "regressed" when there is no clear scale to weigh songwriting qualities on?

What constitutes a bad song vs. good? Now something can reach out as more interesting to someone and that is all good - but to equate that to a definite decline in songwriting quality in Ed in my view is huge fallacy
  • Options
    Nope - Ed is a warrior poet

A reluctant warrior poet to be exact

http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/e ... g?skj2io4l
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    I can't wait to renew my membership
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,543
    I would not say he has regressed at all but he is sounding very country these days
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    simpleman wrote:
    I can't wait to renew my membership
    Just go set up auto pay.. Never miss out on all this fun ever again! :D
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,283

yeah. i hate that. then when someone calls him out on it, he then calls that person an "apologist."

ladies and gentlemen, the tenclub circa 2013 :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Joe,

Joe needs to drive up to Seattle, get sky high and then listen to Lightning Bolt.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2013
    Enough of you and your bitching and whining already; we get it!

Sorry, I wasn't aware only Pearl Jam apologists were allowed to post on this message board. I actually hold this band to a higher standard because I know how great they are and how great they can be.

After 23 years, it's unrealistic to hold them to whatever "higher standard" you hold them to. So Ed's songwriting isn't as good as it was in 1996. Well neither is Michael Jordan's basketball playing.
    Uh, Michael Jordan retired. Are you saying Ed should pack it in?
    Post edited by HollisBrown on
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Joe,

Joe needs to drive up to Seattle, get sky high and then listen to Lightning Bolt.

Does bicyclejoe even own a car?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Joe,

Does bicyclejoe even own a car?

Ah, good point. He can bike his way up here. Both Oregon and Seattle are very bike friendly.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
This discussion has been closed.