Options

Admit it, Ed has regressed as a songwriter/lyrcist

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Let's be realistic. Ed hasn't written a good acoustic song in years. The acoustic tracks that he wrote on Lightning Bolt are just atrocious college-dorm-room G-D-C strumming stinkers. His lyrics are just god awful going back to Backspacer. 'Just Breathe', 'The End', 'Future Days', 'Sleeping By Myself' ...all of them are just plain bad. Even as songs qua songs they just aren't very good ...at all.

Be honest, if you heard a song on the radio with these lyrics you wouldn't give it a second listen:

I should have know there was someone else
Now I'm alone I always kept it to myself
Now I believe in nothing
Not today as I move myself out of your sight
Oh I'll be sleeping by myself tonight

You would laugh and think it was horrible and would probably wonder why you stopped on an adult contemporary/soft rock station anyway. His lyrics are just so damn maudlin and juvenile even as far back as 'Love Boat Captain' which, by the way, these songs make look like lyrical genius.

I will say, however, that Getaway is a solid tune.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    :lol:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    You're making yourself a target!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Let's be realistic. Ed hasn't written a good acoustic song in years. The acoustic tracks that he wrote on Lightning Bolt are just atrocious college-dorm-room G-D-C strumming stinkers. His lyrics are just god awful going back to Backspacer. 'Just Breathe', 'The End', 'Future Days', 'Sleeping By Myself' ...all of them are just plain bad. Even as songs qua songs they just aren't very good ...at all.

Be honest, if you heard a song on the radio with these lyrics you wouldn't give it a second listen:

I should have know there was someone else
    Now I'm alone I always kept it to myself
    Now I believe in nothing
    Not today as I move myself out of your sight
    Oh I'll be sleeping by myself tonight

You would laugh and think it was horrible and would probably wonder why you stopped on an adult contemporary/soft rock station anyway. His lyrics are just so damn maudlin and juvenile even as far back as 'Love Boat Captain' which, by the way, these songs make look like lyrical genius.

I will say, however, that Getaway is a solid tune.

Isn't Sleeping by myself from like 2000 or something?

I like that one, even though the lyrics are very concrete and direct...

just breathe/future days/the end are.. not good though...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    EC52468EC52468 Posts: 12
    I believe sleeping by myself is a cover from 70 yrs ago. I will have to go back and look at uekele album
  • Options
    I love the new lyrics and music. I like the change in Eddie and his approach to writing songs.
  • Options
    I was hoping he would contain his boring songs to his solo album, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm equally as angry about that fact that his bland acoustic songs make it and Stone (the best songwriter in the group) only got one of his on there. The best music this band has written in a long time are the two Ament/Gossard songs ...enough of Ed and Mike and their just plain boring songs already.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Enough of you and your bitching and whining already; we get it!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options

Sorry, I wasn't aware only Pearl Jam apologists were allowed to post on this message board. I actually hold this band to a higher standard because I know how great they are and how great they can be.
  • Options

Sorry, I wasn't aware only Pearl Jam apologists were allowed to post on this message board. I actually hold this band to a higher standard because I know how great they are and how great they can be.

After 23 years, it's unrealistic to hold them to whatever "higher standard" you hold them to. So Ed's songwriting isn't as good as it was in 1996. Well neither is Michael Jordan's basketball playing.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Time to go upstairs, your mom has your cereal ready.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,110
    Why do people get divorced?? Things change

If it's not doing it for you anymore, then.....
  • Options

After 23 years, it's unrealistic to hold them to whatever "higher standard" you hold them to. So Ed's songwriting isn't as good as it was in 1996. Well neither is Michael Jordan's basketball playing.

Really? I don't think so at all. I guess I'm just not ok with their writing average, at best, songs considering the fact that they can still write great songs.

I think half of Lightning Bolt is outstanding (Getaway, Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon) and I think Infallible/Pendulum are two of the best songs they've written in their career.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited October 2013

Really? I don't think so at all. I guess I'm just not ok with their writing average, at best, songs considering the fact that they can still write great songs.

I think half of Lightning Bolt is outstanding (Getaway, Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon) and I think Infallible/Pendulum are two of the best songs they've written in their career.

Well there ya go, if half of it is outstanding, then he couldn't have regressed that much. Believe it or not, they've had many "average" songs over the years. I love "Animal" as much as the next guy but isn't it just a guy counting to 5 and repeating a refrain?
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    dtnmusic wrote:

Kid, your insult is cute, but the real question here is who let you on the internet?
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
    edited October 2013

Well there ya go, if half of it is outstanding, then he couldn't have regressed that much.

My original post was concerning his acoustic/ukulele drivel ...the harder stuff he's more on point. I got away from that in my other posts. The rest of the band (aside from Mike) still write some damn great songs, but for whatever reason strumming open chords on an acoustic brings out the college student in Ed.
    Post edited by i am a target on
  • Options

Well there ya go, if half of it is outstanding, then he couldn't have regressed that much. Believe it or not, they've had many "average" songs over the years. I love "Animal" as much as the next guy but isn't it just a guy counting to 5 and repeating a refrain?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    I disagree. To each, their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Well there ya go, if half of it is outstanding, then he couldn't have regressed that much.

My original post was concerning his acoustic/ukulele drivel ...the harder stuff he's more on point. I got away from that in my other posts. The rest of the band (aside from Mike) still write some damn great songs, but for whatever reason strumming open chords on an acoustic brings out the college student in Ed.

Well I'm actually with ya on not liking the acoustic stuff over the past decade. Thumbing My Way, Just Breathe, Sirens....all total bores to me. But just because you and I don't like them doesn't mean they're not well-written songs. Just Breathe and Sirens seem to be very popular.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    :corn:
  • Options
    I love 'Infallible', but can anyone else hear Liam Gallagher singing this one (and that isn't an insult ...I love Oasis)?
  • Options
    I don't think he's regressed at all. He actually addresses this very point in one of the LB interviews. He says something to the fact of not being so concerned about the quality of the material, and just releasing more stuff. He then said "of course I'm saying that after a 4 year break in releases".

I think that's a great idea. Leave it up to the fans what they like and want to listen to.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    dtnmusic wrote:

"hey ma, I'm done with my segment!"
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 645
    Pearl Jam fans have regressed over time....with their bad hips and loose stools.
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,110
    Who I Am wrote:
    Pearl Jam fans have regressed over time....with their bad hips and loose stools.

:lol:
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,744
    I actually think some of his best lyrics in the past decade where on Uke Songs and Into the Wild. So, no. I think you're dead wrong.

Next topic.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I actually think some of his best lyrics in the past decade where on Uke Songs and Into the Wild. So, no. I think you're dead wrong.

Next topic.

THIS ^
  • Options
    What we are seeing here is an OP who is trying to dress up their opinions as fact

As far as I am concerned this is a very strong album
  • Options
    I think eddie peaked at Into The Wild, for me its his definitive work be hard to reach that level again .
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I think eddie peaked at Into The Wild, for me its his definitive work be hard to reach that level again .

I totally agree...those lyrics were mind-blowing. Just read the lyrics to Guaranteed. Brilliant.

I don't think Ed's writing ability has "regressed" so exponentially, if it has regressed any, that a thread needs to be made about it. I think Sirens is a very strong song lyrically. But we've all got our own opinions!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,668
    edited October 2013
    Target and Mary,

If you can do so much better than Eddie and PJ, go ahead. Start a band, write some great songs and prove us all wrong. But I have a hunch, you cant, you wont.

I guess any time an artist puts their art out there to the masses its going to get judged but you two are just negative, glass half empty people who cant do, so you judge.

Sirens has incredible lyrics. Target, if you cant read and understand them, Im sure there are a a few people on here who can explain them to you.

Now, i dont think you have to love every song but your opinions are just so negative. Especially when your wrong or you have your facts wrong. Ed wrote SBM like over 10 years ago. Most those Uke songs I heard back in like 99 or 2000.

But please, do me a favor and prove me wrong, write, produce and perform any song better than whats on LB. Please. Ill wait to hear your single drop.
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
This discussion has been closed.