Jazzmaster advice

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
edited October 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Have a few guitars on the wishlist and Jazzmaster has moved to the top. What's the best route to go? Go with the Classic Player JM and upgrade, self build, or bite the bullet and look for a MIA AVRI version?

I've been leaning towards a Warmoth build, but just wondering if anybody had any experience in the search for a top of the line Jazzy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Exhausted has gone down the Warmoth road a couple times I believe. He would be a good one to ask.

I've considered it, just haven't taken the plunge yet
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • itsevolution..babyitsevolution..baby Posts: 59
    edited July 2013
    I built a jazzmaster about 18 months ago and it was tons of fun. However, it wasn't cheap, and I did find a few little bits and bobs that took some looking to find. I could have gone out and picked up a MIA version cheaper than the one I built, but in my opinion it wouldn't have been as nice. let me know if you have any questions, but here's what a i picked for the build
    Warmoth body in candy apple red
    warmoth SRV profile neck (5A birds eye maple)
    lollar P90 for Jazzmaster
    I got most of my electronics from all parts in houston (CTS pots, cloth wiring, orange drop caps, etc)
    USA tremolo and a buzz stop (which I eneded up removing)
    replaced the stock bridge a few months in with a mastery bridge.

Also, set up is not the easiest, but whe it's right, it's good.
    Post edited by itsevolution..baby on
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • also, Nash started doing jazzmasters again, and if you're into the relic thing, they're cheaper than Fender Custom shop stuff, and great players.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I built a jazzmaster about 18 months ago and it was tons of fun. However, it wasn't cheap, and I did find a few little bits and bobs that took some looking to find. I could have gone out and picked up a MIA version cheaper than the one I built, but in my opinion it wouldn't have been as nice. let me know if you have any questions, but here's what a i picked for the build
    Warmoth body in candy apple red
    warmoth SRV profile neck (5A birds eye maple)
    lollar P90 for Jazzmaster
    I got most of my electronics from all parts in houston (CTS pots, cloth wiring, orange drop caps, etc)
    USA tremolo and a buzz stop (which I eneded up removing)
    replaced the stock bridge a few months in with a mastery bridge.

Also, set up is not the easiest, but whe it's right, it's good.

Thanks for the reply and that sounds freaking sweet. I had one "built" in my cart at Warmoth, but then decided I'm gonna take my time and get all the "right" stuff in it from the get go. Just have it like I want from top to bottom. I had around $800 tallied up in there and that was sacrificing stuff(the neck I wanted, the pickups) and I still need to add tuners and the Mastery bridge.

I also go to thinking that it may be kinda cool to add in the Jaguar electronics into it. Not sure if that's advisable but it was just a thought I had. My buddy has a Jaguar build from warmoth and I love all the different options.

also, Nash started doing jazzmasters again, and if you're into the relic thing, they're cheaper than Fender Custom shop stuff, and great players.

I seen that and it seems like a viable option, but while the relicing is cool, it's a little heavy handed for my taste. I'd want "closet classic" level, if any at all.

I think over the next year or so, I'm gonna start rounding up info, maybe some parts here or there and build the Jazzy that I really want, so I have no regrets. I think it's gonna cost a little more than what I was anticipating, and I ran into a pretty good deal on another axe I've gassed over for awhile, so that should tide me over.
  • I actually did the same thing, and put the brakes on pior to ordering. I stopped and took about 4 months to get all the best parts just like I wanted it instead of slapping it together and spending more on the same parts I wanted later. Take your time and enjoy the process. Also, I didn't mention that I didn't go with all the jazzmaster switches and rollers. I just wired the 2 pickups into a toggle, and 1 volume 1 pot. I liked the simplicity, and it works great.
  • How are the Lollar Jazzmaster P90s working out? I am contemplating a Jazzmaster project myself. Thanks for any insight.
  • The Lollar p90s are great. However, they've got a lot more meat to them than a traditonal jazzmaster singe coil. Probably closer to some of my humbucker guitars than fender single coils. Thy clean up nicely though and are amazing, but I have yet to find a Lollar pickup that I haven't fallen in love with
  • The Lollar p90s are great. However, they've got a lot more meat to them than a traditonal jazzmaster singe coil. Probably closer to some of my humbucker guitars than fender single coils. Thy clean up nicely though and are amazing, but I have yet to find a Lollar pickup that I haven't fallen in love with

Thanks a bunch. Pretty much the answer I was hoping for.
  • Just got a Classic player JM last week. Loving it so far! Great range of sounds.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    All I know is Malkmus from Pavement and Kline from Wilco, shred their jazzmasters.
  • All I know is Malkmus from Pavement and Kline from Wilco, shred their jazzmasters.

Just traded into one, first JM i've owned. This one plays outstanding, but gotta say, i have no idea how those guys do what they do on this instrument. i think it would take me years re-learning how to play the instrument. So much different from a Tele or Strat.

cheers