REM- music really misses them

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
edited January 2021 in Other Music
Never a huge REM mark, but always liked their music. Seems Alt rock is missing their presence quite a bit. Michael Stipe, we need your voice! I know and get why completely, just a void it seems.
Post edited by hrd2imgn on

Comments

• thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Never really tried to get into them. Any album recommendations?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Document
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    All of them have great songs, I was always fond of Automatic for the People, but Out of time is damn good too.

They all have a different vibe, so I would Itunes preview.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I have been spinning New Adventures in Hi-Fi a lot recently
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    always loved "monster".... still have the cassette . great album and a great band.
    ctd
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    I just picked up the 25th anniversary re-issues of Fables of the Reconstruction & of Document so I've been having a bit of an REM weekend. It's been great.

I'd say my fav albums of theirs are Automatic for the People & Document.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Rico, I'd go chronologically. Start to finish.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,025
    life's rich pageant
    thefixer9 wrote:

come listen to some R.E.M. records at my place Rico
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    bobasfeet wrote:
    life's rich pageant
    It's hard for me to have a favorite REM album but it would probably be that one.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    smarchee wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

I'm down for that!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

Rico, I'd go chronologically. Start to finish.
    +1. This is a good suggestion. Should have a run through myself sometime. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Been listening to REM a lot recently. We all have different opinions but I think Fables and Green are the best albums. Running from Chronic Town to Green is an excellent start. The best band of the 80s for me.
    Happy up here in my tree
    thefixer9 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

I'm down for that!

:D

I'll bring out the bass guitar and we will jam too :D
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I miss them so much! In 2010 I found Green in our house, and asked my mom if it was hers. She said she got it as a gift once but never paid attention to it. I took it and fell in love. Then, after Collapse Into Now, I was like 'yessss, maybe I'll finally get to see them live!'...and then :( :(

But, at least they went out classy. And we have so much amazing music to remember them by! Every time I listen to them, it always amazes me just how good they were. I hope someday we do see a reunion!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    :D

I'll bring out the bass guitar and we will jam too :D

Hell Yeah! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Lucky to have seen them 3x live. Each time a knock out concert. Maybe even better than Pearl Jam live? 8-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Lucky to have seen them 3x live. Each time a knock out concert. Maybe even better than Pearl Jam live? 8-)
    1 time, 5 years ago. Amazing show. I miss them. :cry:
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Great, great band. Murmur is still one of my all time favorite albums. It sounds great every time I hear it. I saw R.E.M around the time Reckoning came out. At the end of their set some of the guys from Gang of Four joined the band for a few numbers. Great show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    As a hard core old school rem fan, who swore off anything they did after orginal drummer Bill Berry retired from the band, I was shocked to discover how great their
    " live at the Olympia theater" cd is..,!
    Seems in 2007 the allowed fans in Dublin to attend their tour rehearsals and the cd was a result .
    Almost feels like a "artists den" or "vh1 storytellers " type event.
    Stipe and the band very competently rip through gems from their entire discography (including a rare and lyric revealing "kohatek "!)

I reordered the tracks in the cd by album and it's quite an awesome listen !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    As a hard core old school rem fan, who swore off anything they did after orginal drummer Bill Berry retired from the band, I was shocked to discover how great their
    Seems in 2007 the allowed fans in Dublin to attend their tour rehearsals and the cd was a result .
    Stipe and the band very competently rip through gems from their entire discography (including a rare and lyric revealing "kohatek "!)

As a massive fan I can concur that the Olympia Theatre CD is awesome. They played 5 nights at this tiny theatre in Dublin and played 39 different songs. Releasing them was the best idea ever. Loads of early songs including Romance. Even a casual fan would love this.
    Happy up here in my tree
    locked wrote:

As a massive fan I can concur that the Olympia Theatre CD is awesome. They played 5 nights at this tiny theatre in Dublin and played 39 different songs. Releasing them was the best idea ever. Loads of early songs including Romance. Even a casual fan would love this.
    Oooh, where is this available do you know? Sounds good. :)
    <hr>
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    morello wrote:
    locked wrote:

It's called "R.E.M. Live at the Olympia in Dublin, 39 Songs" and well worth checking out. I have the CD set and it's great! I wanted to get it on vinyl but just too pricey. See here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Music-/11233/i. ... ve+olympia
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• They are my second all-time favorite band behind Pearl Jam. While I can't argue the love for their earlier work, I'm a big fan of some of the later albums. I actually think New Adventures in Hi-Fi is my favorite and I never thought Accelerate got the praise it deserved.

I will also add that while most albums are front-loaded to a degree, I think that the last three songs on Automatic for the People are the greatest last three tracks of any album ever.
  • They are my second all-time favorite band behind Pearl Jam. While I can't argue the love for their earlier work, I'm a big fan of some of the later albums. I actually think New Adventures in Hi-Fi is my favorite and I never thought Accelerate got the praise it deserved.

I will also add that while most albums are front-loaded to a degree, I think that the last three songs on Automatic for the People are the greatest last three tracks of any album ever.

Spot on about AFTP. Find The River is absolutely stunning. Perfection.
    Happy up here in my tree
    locked wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    morello wrote:

It's called "R.E.M. Live at the Olympia in Dublin, 39 Songs" and well worth checking out. I have the CD set and it's great! I wanted to get it on vinyl but just too pricey. See here:

[/quote][/quote][/quote]
    Hmmm, OMG, ok, somehow I have to track this down. Sounds great. Thanks. :)
    <hr>
    locked wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    morello wrote:

wow, e.t.a. looks like there's a 2ndhand copy at the store in town. Sweet. :)

[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
    Hmmm, OMG, ok, somehow I have to track this down. Sounds great. Thanks. :)
    <hr>
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    They are my second all-time favorite band behind Pearl Jam. While I can't argue the love for their earlier work, I'm a big fan of some of the later albums. I actually think New Adventures in Hi-Fi is my favorite and I never thought Accelerate got the praise it deserved.

:thumbup: :thumbup: New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Accelerate and Automatic for the People are great albums.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

I really have to say, I may agree with you! I've seen PJ 50+ times, and REM some 18 or 19 times. PJ is clearly (and has been for 20 yrs) one of my all time fave live bands, but in all my years of seeing shows, one REM show still stands out as in my top 5 shows ever in terms of it being an astounding show, my going into a total trance of joy, bliss and just pure energy, and it featuring most of my fave REM album (Life's Rich Pageant). It was the Document tour (another incredible album!!) so imagine getting most of LRP, Document, and songs from all the previous amazing albums: the first album through Fables of the Reconstruction! It was an astounding show and one of the single best times I've ever had at a concert. Having seen 1,000+ shows overall, that's saying a lot!

The other 4 best ever were a Radiohead show, a Clash show (unquestionably the best live band ever ever ever!), a Jeff Buckley show, and a Frames show.
  • I saw them 10 times and was never disappointed. Seeing them play Sitting Still and 7 Chinese Bros. Are great memories. I love their albums and have bought Chronic Town to Green on vinyl recently. Probably the strongest run of albums in my collection.
    Happy up here in my tree