What's the last clever world play by Eddie?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Seems Eddie is more into writing it "simpler" and more direct nowadays (according to the latest interview).

More "Im in a well, it's living hell, before it was swell, but since I fell who can tell, I love you, do bi do" and less "And he who forgets...will be destined to remember..." and the likes.

So what's the last clever wordplay and/or writing from Eddie? Was there any on Backspacer or do we have to go back to S/T?

(Not saying the more direct wriitng is worse, just that you always enjoy a great wordplay and clever line now and then!)
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Interesting question.
    I always thought the line you used as an example of something deep was a rip off line from EV.....I had 2 different history teachers years ago who had this quote posted up in their classrooms.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana
    "He who forgets...will be destined to remember" - Eddie Vedder

Doesn't matter, love that line, love that song.
    I think the lyrics are all up for interpretation and I am sure whomever wrote the song might have a different explanation than we as fans imagine.

I think that Unthought Known is awesome lyrically -- I know it is the popular thing to do here to slaughter anything 'Backspacer' but I not only like this song I find the lyrics to be meaningful on a number of levels. Song has a number of examples in my opinion.

I loved that article where he spoke on this topic though, thought it was great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • "awooh...awooha...
    Jahooh...jahooh...
    Awooh Chewbacca"

-EV, Vitalogy
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • JexJex Posts: 283
    Not to take away from this thread but did you want subject of your thread to read "world play" instead of "wordplay"? Or maybe you it was your own use of wordplay... :think:
    "Mine is mine and yours won't take its place.."
    1.Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin 09-03-2011 / 2.Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin 09-04-2011 / 3.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 / 4.iWireless Center Moline, IL 10-17-2014 / 5.Bradley Center Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 / 6.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-20-2016 / 7.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-22-2016 / 8.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-18-2018 / 9.Wrigley Field Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
  • one that immediately comes to mind is "her son's slanted, always giving her the sideways eye"
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 316
    Mind your Manners

"Try my patience, my patience tried"
  • I danced in laughter with the everafter
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • one that immediately comes to mind is "her son's slanted, always giving her the sideways eye"
    Had to think for a moment before realising it was Army Reserve :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"