Is Sirens the most polarizing PJ song ever?!

PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
edited September 2013 in The Porch
I've never enjoyed reading peoples reactions to new PJ like I have with this one :lol:

Was there ever a song of theirs that sparked such an immidiate reaction of love/hate?

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    its all the same with huge,great,amazing things in life..
    people love it,or love to hate it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I've never enjoyed reading peoples reactions to new PJ like I have with this one :lol:

Was there ever a song of theirs that sparked such an immidiate reaction of love/hate?

Anything poppy has caused similar debate, The Fixer and Unemployable come to mind. Before Avocado we were much more united.
    I've never enjoyed reading peoples reactions to new PJ like I have with this one :lol:

Anything poppy has caused similar debate, The Fixer and Unemployable come to mind. Before Avocado we were much more united.
    for sure the fixer didnt get the same mad love as sirens..and its fair thing to happen
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • It means that PJ is still changing things up, which is good ;) It is also a slow burner in my opinion just purely based on my own reactions to it

Here is how my journey with Sirens has gone so far:

1st listen: All this buildup for this tune? Slightly disappointing, it is too poppy and upbeat for a PJ song

2nd listen: Hey those harmonies Ed does are really cool. And he sounds fantastic. Cool solo from Mike

3rd listen: Hmm I actually like this tune

4th listen and since: Holy shit this is a killer tune! It all clicked with me this time around, this tune is melodic and really nice
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    I dig it. cant wait till Pittsburgh.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Just wait until the album comes out! The beginning of the Ten Club civil war
    Happy up here in my tree
  • for sure the fixer didnt get the same mad love as sirens..and its fair thing to happen

Yup I'll give you that it's fair. I think I'm in the minority though in that I've loved The Fixer since the first time I heard it. Eddie's brilliant at writing lyrics with positive messages without being over-sentimental - I always thought that song was a perfect example of it.
    for sure the fixer didnt get the same mad love as sirens..and its fair thing to happen

Yup I'll give you that it's fair. I think I'm in the minority though in that I've loved The Fixer since the first time I heard it. Eddie's brilliant at writing lyrics with positive messages without being over-sentimental - I always thought that song was a perfect example of it.
    its stange with some songs..the fixer didnt say alot to me,but i like it at live shows..its fun ..
  • It's a good question.. :)

We can say that Sirens had more impact than Mind Your Manners. Maybe because MYM does not surprise us in terms of sound... We could put MYM in Yeld for example.
    But sirens is a new thing :) Love it or Hate it (I love it pernonaly). The sound is fresh in terms of Pearl Jam reportory.
    But even if you hate it, give credit to the band for trying new things out :) THEY ARE ALIVE !! They want to surprise us.. they want to evolve :)

:)

Cheers Tenners!
    "sometimes i reach to myself dear god"
  • It means that PJ is still changing things up, which is good ;) It is also a slow burner in my opinion just purely based on my own reactions to it

Here is how my journey with Sirens has gone so far:

1st listen: All this buildup for this tune? Slightly disappointing, it is too poppy and upbeat for a PJ song

2nd listen: Hey those harmonies Ed does are really cool. And he sounds fantastic. Cool solo from Mike

3rd listen: Hmm I actually like this tune

4th listen and since: Holy shit this is a killer tune! It all clicked with me this time around, this tune is melodic and really nice

This is pretty much how it went for me too! :)

We can say that Sirens had more impact than Mind Your Manners. Maybe because MYM does not surprise us in terms of sound... We could put MYM in Yeld for example.
    But sirens is a new thing :) Love it or Hate it (I love it pernonaly). The sound is fresh in terms of Pearl Jam reportory.
    But even if you hate it, give credit to the band for trying new things out :) THEY ARE ALIVE !! They want to surprise us.. they want to evolve :)

Cheers Tenners!

Definitely agree. Coming into Work today listening to the radio and the whole morning show was dedicated to celebrating the 20th anniversary of In utero. I am like... compare that to Pearl Jam. Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. I always remember having bought both Vs and In Utero. there was a whole "who will release first". And I remember saying to myself at the time, I just know Pearl Jam will be around longer

Couple months later my Nirvana ticket dated 08.04.94 (same day Cobain was found) was useless and my gut feeling was right.

Damn I wish my ma didn't make me get a refund on that ticket #losttreasure :fp:
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014

Cheers Tenners!

Definitely agree. Coming into Work today listening to the radio and the whole morning show was dedicated to celebrating the 20th anniversary of In utero. I am like... compare that to Pearl Jam. Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. I always remember having bought both Vs and In Utero. there was a whole "who will release first". And I remember saying to myself at the time, I just know Pearl Jam will be around longer

Couple months later my Nirvana ticket dated 08.04.94 (same day Cobain was found) was useless and my gut feeling was right.

Damn I wish my ma didn't make me get a refund on that ticket #losttreasure :fp:

:/
    this post made me sad.
    Kurt's death was SUCH a mind fuck to everyone.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I think its so polarizing because its the only new song out right now, so everyone is talking about it. Once the whole album comes out we will all have several songs to talk about, so reactions will be less intense.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • I'm not sure I've ever reacted to a PJ single they way I have hear. It took a few listens/video watches to truly get it and I actually draw something else every time I hear the song.

There are two things that jump out to me on this topic....
    1-The lyrics and vibe are intense, emotional and honest. If you allow yourself to get submersed by the song you can't help but think about your own life. I've seen so many people mention it brought them to tears (maybe me too? ;) ).
    I have a feeling this song live is gonna be an emotional roller-coaster for most in the building that night

2-Revealing the song via video performance added a whole new dimension. Seeing the sincerity in which the song is performed makes it so special. Especially seeing the band come together and all sing the ending
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Frankly, I like it when they get inspired to try something different. It's healthy to change sometimes! I feel that fans that complain about the band too much are exactly like old friends that try to keep their friends from growing. It's WRONG to do that to others!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,534
    justam wrote:
    Frankly, I like it when they get inspired to try something different. It's healthy to change sometimes! I feel that fans that complain about the band too much are exactly like old friends that try to keep their friends from growing. It's WRONG to do that to others!
    Wrong...
    Fugazi didn't shit the bed when they got older, In fact The Argument is probably one of their best albums.
    Fugazi knew when their time was up
    Some bands know how to evolve musically/creatively (or know the effort)
    Pearl Jam is not one of those bands, Since 2003 we have had (almost) 3 albums of rehashed riffs and basically tribute covers to bands that they look up to...As well as horrendous album art work.
  • I think there will be a complete shitstorm around here when the album is released. I'm looking forward to the debate about the music, what people are getting from the songs, the direction of the band, etc. I am NOT looking forward to the senseless crap-slinging and insults that will inevitably occur. One can certainly not like something the band does, even hate it, without insulting another human being in the process. I've already seen people who like Sirens being billed as idiots, delusional, sheep, etc. It's like we forgot how to talk to with another reasonably! Sure, our band brings out emotions but DAMN.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • All band fanbases do this, unfortunately. It is what it is.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Blockhead wrote:
    justam wrote:
    Wrong...
    Fugazi didn't shit the bed when they got older, In fact The Argument is probably one of their best albums.
    Pearl Jam is not one of those bands, Since 2003 we have had (almost) 3 albums of rehashed riffs and basically tribute covers to bands that they look up to...As well as horrendous album art work.

I disagree, but that is OK. I don't think Fugazi is the greatest band in the world or the argument to use here in my opinion. And what happened in 2003? I don't find Riot Act to be the defining PJ album either. I still rank it towards the bottom of their work. At least for me.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • 2-Revealing the song via video performance added a whole new dimension. Seeing the sincerity in which the song is performed makes it so special. Especially seeing the band come together and all sing the ending

I love that part at the end where they all sing...it makes me smile every time :)
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    edited September 2013
    Blockhead wrote:
    Wrong...
    1. I LOVE Fugazi and wish they were still making music together. Don't you?
    2. So do you wish PJ had called it quits in 2003??? You don't appreciate any music or artwork since then? Because I for one love having songs like Unthought Known, WWS, Army Reserve (my list could go on) in my life. I understand not liking everything and liking early stuff better but wouldn't you miss songs off post 2003 albums??
    3. You don't appreciate any of the LB artwork so far?
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • I don't know...I remember No Code being pretty polarizing. Good thing about No Code was it kinda filtered out the fair weather fans...and us true fans are still here. I like Sirens...it has a nice feel to it.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Blockhead wrote:
    Wrong...

Yeah, but Fugazi was shitting the bed the whole time.

You might not like where PJ has evolved/devolved, but to say that they are standing still is off the mark. I've screamed from the mountaintops that Backspacer is total weaksauce, but I'd rather they do that than get really repetitive.

They've always worn their influences right on their sleeve. Alive rips off 2 songs, Breakerfall lifts right from a Who tune.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Very few people have said- that songs okay. Its either I love it or I hate it :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I find that when ever new songs come out by pearl Jam you have fans that hate it right away and you have fans that love it right away. the funny part is sometimes you have people who hated it right away and end up loving it in the future and the same the other way.

for me the key to a great pearl Jam song is can i listen to it in 3 years and still like it.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Blockhead wrote:
    justam wrote:
    Wrong...

How am I wrong when I say that people need to be allowed to change? As an individual yourself, how would you feel if people around you expected you to stay the same at times when you felt like changing? Wouldn't you feel stifled?!

Be honest! Imagine a friend who teased or verbally abused you whenever you didn't want to do things you used to do?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I've never understood the argument that goes something like:

"I no longer like the new music <Band Name> is making, so they should stop making music, and if you like it, you're wrong"

This happens *constantly* in the Rush community ("old Rush good, new Rush bad"). Why don't people just walk away? I absolutely LOVED R.E.M. once upon a time, but to me they became totally unlistenable when Bill Berry left. So... I stopped listening to the new stuff that I hated. It didn't diminish the the records before that, to me.

And sometimes, the band might surprise you later on. I really liked most of the last REM record Accelerate. Go figure.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Just wait until the album comes out! The beginning of the Ten Club civil war

:lol::lol:
    Fuckdamn...and we all know PJ hates the south. We're screwed. :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I think there will be a complete shitstorm around here when the album is released. I'm looking forward to the debate about the music, what people are getting from the songs, the direction of the band, etc. I am NOT looking forward to the senseless crap-slinging and insults that will inevitably occur. One can certainly not like something the band does, even hate it, without insulting another human being in the process. I've already seen people who like Sirens being billed as idiots, delusional, sheep, etc. It's like we forgot how to talk to with another reasonably! Sure, our band brings out emotions but DAMN.

I've seen the opposite as well as I've read through. People who don't like Sirens because they don't like the word "love" or they don't like ballads, etc. Stupidity goes both ways.

I personally can't stand Sirens but I think it's great that many do. To each their own.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • I think that a lot has to do with the way this song was hyped up. Comparing it to Black, which have to many people here a specific meaning, didn't help. It gives people tinted glasses to compare, where nostalgia will win in the end. Too much expectation. So what we get is polarized reactions to the bone.