A Chinese Factory Worker Wrote A Chilling Letter ...

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited August 2013 in A Moving Train
A Chinese Factory Worker Wrote A Chilling Letter Found In Kmart Halloween Decorations

http://au.businessinsider.com/author-of ... und-2013-6
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    well ... there are the corporations that source this stuff too ... they know how things work ... but nothing matters in the face of greed ...
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    For her part, Keith said she has nearly stopped buying products manufactured in China.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • jesus.
    the chinese government uses prison labor to produce consumer goods sold internationally ???
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Pap wrote:
    For her part, Keith said she has nearly stopped buying products manufactured in China.

I'm shocked she can't stop completely! Well, at least as long as you continue to shop at big box stores it will be next to impossible.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    why does our government allow the imports from china ?and as much as most think we should stop meddeling in other countries business why should we care ?

Godfather.
  • dancepartnerdancepartner Posts: 324
    jesus.
    the chinese government uses prison labor to produce consumer goods sold internationally ???

Maybe it was on MT where I learned about FoxConn. They don't even bother to set their slave laborers up as criminals.

Riotgirl; it's more than Walmart products. For instance, FoxConn makes over 50% of all techno products for the entire world.
  • Godfather. wrote:
    why does our government allow the imports from china ?and as much as most think we should stop meddeling in other countries business why should we care ?

Godfather.

Well, I agree we should not get anything from China. We should make everything here. More jobs!!

However, we should care that is going on because people are suffering and that kind of labor is cruel. I understand we should not stick our heads in other peoples' business, but those people deserve better.

To me, it sounded like you don't care they are suffering. If not, then reword it. ;)
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Well, I agree we should not get anything from China. We should make everything here. More jobs!!

However, we should care that is going on because people are suffering and that kind of labor is cruel. I understand we should not stick our heads in other peoples' business, but those people deserve better.

To me, it sounded like you don't care they are suffering. If not, then reword it. ;)

believe it or not I do care but it bothers me that the US is out sourcing the things that made this country strong,
    after WWII the American dollar was named the international form of currancy and now today American corperations send millions of jobs over sea's and try and smooth it over and advertise "desinged in America" ,I have to take my hat off to companys like Boeing for taking steps to minimize out-sourcing they found out the hard way that lower cost was an open door to poor quaity which turns into customer distrust,compleation set backs and lost money and then something like this happens and the public quickly turns blame in the American companys that use cheaper over seas labor and product in an effort to save a buck then Americans blame each other for buying products made in these un- monitered shops and plants,I can go down to any union hall get a list as long as your arm of men and women who have lost their jobs due to out-sourcing...folks who have lost everything ! and when you tell them a sweatshop over seas burned down or people were treated unfairly they may feel sorry for the loss of life but they are still angry over their lost jobs sent to these places so in my opinion being treated unfairly happens on both sides of the ocean and a chilling letter from a chinese factory is of little concern to people in America who lost everything because of out sourcing...who knows maybe stuff like this will open the eye's of corprate America.....NAHHHHH !

Godfather.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Godfather. wrote:
    believe it or not I do care but it bothers me that the US is out sourcing the things that made this country strong,
    after WWII the American dollar was named the international form of currancy and now today American corperations send millions of jobs over sea's and try and smooth it over and advertise "desinged in America" ,I have to take my hat off to companys like Boeing for taking steps to minimize out-sourcing they found out the hard way that lower cost was an open door to poor quaity which turns into customer distrust,compleation set backs and lost money and then something like this happens and the public quickly turns blame in the American companys that use cheaper over seas labor and product in an effort to save a buck then Americans blame each other for buying products made in these un- monitered shops and plants,I can go down to any union hall get a list as long as your arm of men and women who have lost their jobs due to out-sourcing...folks who have lost everything ! and when you tell them a sweatshop over seas burned down or people were treated unfairly they may feel sorry for the loss of life but they are still angry over their lost jobs sent to these places so in my opinion being treated unfairly happens on both sides of the ocean and a chilling letter from a chinese factory is of little concern to people in America who lost everything because of out sourcing...who knows maybe stuff like this will open the eye's of corprate America.....NAHHHHH !

Godfather.
    Wait, do you want our government... to regulate China's business practices... but, not our own?
    And I thought Unions were evil.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • dancepartnerdancepartner Posts: 324
    Cosmo wrote:
    Wait, do you want our government... to regulate China's business practices... but, not our own?

More than regulating everything, (as we can see how adept corps are at sidestepping regs) I rally for our awareness raising to include a well-informed understanding as to which businesses make concerted efforts to employ us rather than outsource or replace us with machines. I liked Godfathers comment about Boeing which I did not know. This is the kind of info that we need to research for accuracy, to then show our appreciation back. And, since we are now a global economy, this goes for any corp. For instance, who are FoxConn competitors? Any still making products in the U.S? Even if their products are more costly, mass purchasing brings cost down.
    While we are still a capitalistic/consumer based world, we still have the means to effect a redirect. It's still a goose & gander existence.
    I've tried to research company management policies. So far, companies only hype their business model; their assets & their future investment worthiness etc...However, with loud pressure from us, backed by an intent to support only integral businesses, it wouldn't take them long to include in their hype: to what % they outsource or machine replace us, if they use proactive or reactive management, & for corps, their pay scale & benefit ratio from the very CEO top, to the janitor bottom. This full circle back scratching includes investor flow so even tyrannical places like FoxConn would have to change their ways. In the meantime, I'm certain there's a plethora of ethical small businesses who could really use our support but as yet, we really don't have a verifiably accurate system to rely on for this. At least if we do, I can't find it.
    Cosmo wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

please hilite anything I said/posted that mentioned any of that ?...and if you pay attention you will see that most large corp's do regulate their venders to a degree for quality and timming issues.

Godfather.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    If we all became more conscientious consumers (all as in me too) those who run the show in China would have to rethink their practices. I we stopped buying their products they would have to find another way to run their economy- perhaps one that doesn't enslave their people and ruin their (and our) environment. As far as I can figure, the best way to do that is to:

Buy durable domestic goods that are built to last.
    Buy only what we need.
    Buy used and recycled products.
    Avoid impulse buying.

Sounds simple. Much of the time, it is.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024