ragbrai XLI (41)

chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
biking across iowa for 41 years
http://ragbrai.com/routemaps/2013-route-maps/

7 day long course is said to be the longest, oldest, & largest gathering of cyclists touring event in the world with an average of 67 miles traveled daily. i heard our old pal lance armstrong will be here this year. im no cyclist therefore i've never participated in the event only watched riders zoom on by. although when i was 11 i wanted to take my heavy ass junk ass bicycle & go for it.

you'd think these people would be exhausted & resting after a full day of riding in the heat, nope. it is a huge party with drunk ass cyclists & houses opening up to these folks who need a shower & food & a place to stay, camp & whatnot. some use a tent in a stranger's yard, some sleep in a guest's bed in air conditioning. im amazed by the cyclists who party hard through the night, get up early & ride all day in the sun & or rain.

there could be nearly 10,000 cyclists invading the cornfields starting tomorrow. yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far. good luck, fuckers!
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    I did it for three straight years '01,'02, and '03.

It is a pretty crazy thing, but fun at the same time.

The last year I did it, I found the best hangover cure ever! Riding your bike! hahahaha I got myself and my underage cousin drunk on the last night. We had about 40ish miles to ride on the Saturday. Needless to say, within 10 miles of the blood pumping, bam! Hangover gone!

And I can only imagine how amusing it must be for all the folks we aren't cyclist watching.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I've always wanted to do this! :D
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    nearing the finish line. saturday closes things off as cyclists dip their front wheels into the mississippi river. many folks dip their front tires or straight up throw their entire (high dollar) bicycle into the drink only to follow their bikes themselves w/ big ass splashes into muddy ass old man river.

today was a 52 mile ride
    tomorrow (friday) is exactly another 52 mile tour
    the final day is a sore, tired, & thrilling 63 miles

these people are straight up athletes. i am amazed by their strength & determinaton. i'm just proud of them & that i am even in the same location has me picking up their vibe ... corn, beans, hog shit & cow shit/bullshit
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce