***THE WEIGHT LOSS AND EXERCISE THREAD***

Guitar92playerGuitar92player Posts: 664
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
(I apologize if this thread has already been made)

This thread is for those who are trying to lose weight, have a healthier life, etc.

How much you lose lately? What exercises do you do? What is your goal? What is your diet? Got any tips? etc, etc.

Talk about anything related to weight loss and exercising!

37037397.jpg
~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
or you can come to terms and realize
you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
makes much more sense to live in the present tense
- Present Tense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lost about 11 pounds since late May. Feeling good!! I hope to lose about 30 pounds before school starts in late August.
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense
  • Jaymz82Jaymz82 Posts: 24
    Slow paced weightloss due to more excersize and healthy eating did the trick for me.
    Crash diets or leaving major foodgroups out of your daily diet only leads to the weight rushing back after returning to a more normal eating patern.
    Took me a full year of daily 45 minute bikerides and muscle excersizes to lose 75 pounds and keep it of.
    Now I'm taking good 5 mile walks every other day, combined with normal eating habits ( some muesli, fruit and coffee for breakfast, 4 slices of bread with peanutbutter, cup of soup and an apple during the day and a decent meal for dinner with at least 200grams of veggies) Tea, water, some coffee or some fruitjuice for drinks.

Being conscious about what you eat before you eat it without obsessing over it is really helpful for me.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Congrats to both of you!! I myself prefer lifting weights....burns more calories throughout the day and I feel so awesome after a good workout. As for food I eat when I'm hungry and keep healthy snacks available at all times. Find a workout you actually enjoy and you'll stick with it :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Congrats to both of you!!

Thanks!

Regarding what Jeremyran mentioned, I also plan to develop a lifestyle to help keep the pounds off.

I hope to lose 30 before school, but if not that is okay. I hope to lose enough to get as close as I can to a healthy weight and then I hope to keep it off.

At the moment I eat between 1800-2100 calories a day, and I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes 4-5 times a week.

Once I hit that weight loss plateau I plan to work out for 45 minutes a day and hopefully that will resume the weight loss. If that doesn't work I'll also have to lower calories intake as well (which is expected anyway by that time).
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense
  • I lost 40lbs in about 4 months last year. I started exercising at the gym and burnt about 600 calories 3 times a week. I cut down on alcohol and cut out fatty foods. I have managed to keep it off so far. I completely changed my eating habits and became a calorie counter. I have the occasional treat and do things in moderation.

I went from XXL shirts to Large and 40 inch pants to 34 inch. I feel loads better and fitter. Just wish I did it years ago.

Diets don't work, lifestyle changes do. Educate yourself on food and how your body reacts to food. Be honest with yourself and enjoy the change.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i find the best way to lose weight, is to get sick

carry on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I want to get on Survivor for the sole purpose of weight loss. A good night's sleep goes a long way towards weight loss.
    I was doing well for about 2 months and now I'm eating like shit, staying up late and not exercising. Need to stop now!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    *eats peanut butter cup* :lol:

My friend got a trainer at a gym I think 4 days a week. I dunno what they're doing but this dude lost 50lbs in 3 months.

So if you have money, I recommend getting a trainer.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    I lost about 25 lbs and kept it off now for over a year. Agree that weight training is essential. Building lean muscle and changing your BMI will fire up your metabolism. Going crazy on intense cardio without lifting weights is not the answer. Also watching closely what you eat and how your body reacts to it is important. I started with an iPhone app "couch to 5k". The first 5k I completed running the whole way was life changing moment (it helped that I had a bootleg version of alive blasting in my headphones at the time of crossing the finish line with the crowd chanting "yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!"....) Now I like spinning more. I have a spin bike at home and use another app called "global cycle coach". It's awesome bc you can spin to your own music but the program gives you prompts on what to do next. I also use another app "my fitness pal" to keep me honest on my food. It's also important to eat small portions every 2-3 hours. Don't get hungry bc then it's easy to over eat or eat the wrong foods. Be careful of nuts. Super nutrition but packed with calories and too easy to munch mindlessly on.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    edited July 2013
    I've been changing what I eat. I've been focusing on fresh fruit and vegetables only for breakfast and lunch and no meat or dairy. I feel better already. :)

I haven't had to starve myself and yet it seems to be helping me drop some weight.

I forgot to mention, there's no alcohol or fruit juice allowed either. :?
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Lost about 20 pounds in a few months...
    I got a cool, easy to use mp3 player. It made the difference..

I jog every M-F at 6:45am for about 3 miles. I used to run with PJ, Rage, Soudgarden, Led Zeppelin...then I changed it up and put more chill music because of the early morning. I look forward to it every day now.

I had to cut way back on drinking though.
    And I cut back breakfast. Pretty much everything else is the same though. I stuffed a fat ass ice cream cone down my piehole just last night.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Since discovering I hadDiabetes in Feb. of this year, I have list 32 pounds!! All in changing my diet! I cut out all empty carbs. ( anything that has no straight nutritional value/ turns straight to sugar), and began to eat smaller portions, eat slower, and eat small, healthy snacks @ every two hours.. The nutritionist said this forces the body to burn at a higher rate.. Thus burning fat. It's crazy.. But it worked. Now, I just need to quit drinking!
    Since discovering I hadDiabetes in Feb. of this year, I have list 32 pounds!! All in changing my diet! I cut out all empty carbs. ( anything that has no straight nutritional value/ turns straight to sugar), and began to eat smaller portions, eat slower, and eat small, healthy snacks @ every two hours.. The nutritionist said this forces the body to burn at a higher rate.. Thus burning fat. It's crazy.. But it worked. Now, I just need to quit drinking!

Cool, glad to hear its working! You mentioned eating slower - thats my other problem. I inhale everything. I dont know why I cant get control of it. Im trying. :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

Cool, glad to hear its working! You mentioned eating slower - thats my other problem. I inhale everything. I dont know why I cant get control of it. Im trying. :lol:
    Lmao I do that too!! I have to consciously remind myself, one bite at a time! Which is really funny, because I used to make my horses do this!! Cause it's healthier that they eat slow.. So when I would get starvation rescues part if their acclamation process was they were fed in handfuls. It took hours to complete the meals.. But after about a week, we could safely leave them to eat alone with out fear if colic outbreak!! So I guess even for us humans it's a matter of retraining our brains!

Lmao I do that too!! I have to consciously remind myself, one bite at a time! Which is really funny, because I used to make my horses do this!! Cause it's healthier that they eat slow.. So when I would get starvation rescues part if their acclamation process was they were fed in handfuls. It took hours to complete the meals.. But after about a week, we could safely leave them to eat alone with out fear if colic outbreak!! So I guess even for us humans it's a matter of retraining our brains!

I think you just compared me to your horse. :lol::lol:

This might actually help. I'm going to think of your horse next time I'm eating. :P
  • lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    I completely changed my diet. Making whole foods, i.e. fruits, veggies the majority of my meals. And stay as active as possible. I only watch DVR'd shows so that I'm never sitting in front of the TV for too long. Swim 2 to 3 times a week. and only have a "fried" meal once a month as a treat.

Its the booz that is hard to adjust. But I try to exercise more if I know I'll be drinking it up.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
    Johnny Pistachio!! That made me laugh!! Yeah I have to remind myself of him too!!
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    It's a complete lifestyle change that made the difference for us. We eat clean for the most part, cut back on the alcohol. 45 lbs down in 5 months. Elliptical & free weights are my friends.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    Good job all of you, and the horse. :)

I went from almost-zero exercise to 7 days a week on the ellipical, now I'm up to an hour a day plus push-ups & sit-ups. I wasnt a terrible eater before, now I just pay closer attention to ingredients, protein, carbs, etc. I struggle getting the right balance, as I don't like much meat. I'm at a slow 15 lbs in 6 months, with hopefully 15 more to go. Netflix has kept me going, I've blown through many great tv series.
    I win.
  • Anyone else here eat Lean Cuisines? Those have helped me lose weight. I eat one a day with a side of salad (not lean cuisine salad, just plain normal salad). They are low in calories, however, they have a little bit too much sodium, but overall they are great! And cheap!

I haven't had any the past few days (due to going out to eat with old friends) but Saturday I plan to go to the store and get some for the next week. So many to choose from! :D
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I started counting calories in February, and lost 45 lbs in 4 months without exercise. I have a desk job, so I am sitting 10-12 hours a day. I've plateaued and have bought myself a Fitbit to motivate myself to make sure I walk 10,000 steps a day. I'm hoping that will help me start losing again.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    Johnny Pistachio!! That made me laugh!! Yeah I have to remind myself of him too!!

So yesterday I was bbq-ing and hammering down rum n cokes. And by the time I got a chance to sit down to eat I was mouthwateringly starving. I scarfed down half a burger with lightning speed, and said "Wait! whispering hand's horse!" Then I slowly savored. ;)

It worked. :lol::lol:
  • lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    Anyone else here eat Lean Cuisines? Those have helped me lose weight. I eat one a day with a side of salad (not lean cuisine salad, just plain normal salad). They are low in calories, however, they have a little bit too much sodium, but overall they are great! And cheap!

I haven't had any the past few days (due to going out to eat with old friends) but Saturday I plan to go to the store and get some for the next week. So many to choose from! :D

I ate these a lot when I first started trying to lose weight. It really helped to get an understanding of proportions. And they are not all that bad in taste factor.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    PJSerf wrote:
    I started counting calories in February, and lost 45 lbs in 4 months without exercise. I have a desk job, so I am sitting 10-12 hours a day. I've plateaued and have bought myself a Fitbit to motivate myself to make sure I walk 10,000 steps a day. I'm hoping that will help me start losing again.

How are you liking the Fitbit? I really, really want one of those. I keep hearing they do a great a job.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    riotgrl wrote:
    PJSerf wrote:

How are you liking the Fitbit? I really, really want one of those. I keep hearing they do a great a job.

I like it a lot. It's a great motivating tool for me.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Walked my usual 30 minutes on the treadmill today, then for dinner I had the "Roasted Chicken and Garden Vegetables" Lean Cuisine. It was so good! I highly recommend that one to anyone else who eats those!
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense

So yesterday I was bbq-ing and hammering down rum n cokes. And by the time I got a chance to sit down to eat I was mouthwateringly starving. I scarfed down half a burger with lightning speed, and said "Wait! whispering hand's horse!" Then I slowly savored. ;)

It worked. :lol::lol:
    Oh how funny!! The horse in the pic below was named Devron. In that pic he is a healthy 1100 lbs! It took me 11 months to get him there! When my ranch rescued him; he weighed a measly 745!! He had to be hung up in a sling, he ate grain mash and molasses for the first three days! He had to lick it out if my hand.. He was so weak he couldn't even drink, he was on a constant IV drip for two weeks!! To look at that pic you'd never think it, but when he came to us, he was hours from dying!!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Slow but steady progress. I'm down a few more pounds this week. What's amazing to me is that I don't find it difficult to eat this way. I can completely imagine staying with this for a year. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    Slow but steady progress. I'm down a few more pounds this week. What's amazing to me is that I don't find it difficult to eat this way. I can completely imagine staying with this for a year. :)

Congrats and I feel the same way!

I don't mind eating what I am eating now. I could do it all my life.
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    (I apologize if this thread has already been made)

This thread is for those who are trying to lose weight, have a healthier life, etc.

How much you lose lately? What exercises do you do? What is your goal? What is your diet? Got any tips? etc, etc.

Talk about anything related to weight loss and exercising!

37037397.jpg
    I lost 30 lbs in about a two month period. I started out at 205 lbs and now am around 175 lbs. The exercises I did was general weight lifting and interval training. For the diet, I gave up processed foods, processed sugars, ate as close to gluten free, and I am lactose intolerant as is. Also gave up alcohol during that time also.

First thing I did everyday was drink a big glass of water in the morning and kept drinking water to flush my system. During the first month, I grazed on small amounts of nuts and fruit. I ate enough for dinner and started vegetable and fruit juicing. The second month, just kept drinking lots of water and sort of fasted during the days until dinner.

Tips: Keep the discipline, the first week is rough, but it was worth it. Bad thing is I need new clothes, started out with large shirts now needing mediums and new pants from 36 to 33. I am now trying to tone up and burn more fat.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)