six flags Chicago?

ryanjp2323ryanjp2323 Posts: 561
edited June 2013 in The Porch
Local help? First trip to Chicago for some Canadians.

So my brother and his wife and family (12 and 4 YO nieces) are meeting my dad and I in Chicago for the show the week of July 15th. A couple of days at six flags is on their agenda for Wednesday and Thursday, Bro and i are going to the show on Friday, then some down town museums, tourist stuff over the weekend.

He will rent a car from O'hare and i'm driving down from Manitoba so vehicles aren't an issue (apart from parking and drive time). Down town hotel rates are getting high for two rooms to accommodate four adults and two kids... Where would be a reasonable area to stay to have access to both 6 Flags, Wrigleyville and downtown attractions? Maybe wise to stay outside the city closer to 6 flags and for him and I to stay closer to Wrigley Friday night?

Selfish me... particularly concerned about the show Friday so Bro and I can both partake in some bevies and have a reasonable public transit / cab commute back to our "home base" for the week.

Suggestions?

Also is 6 flags great america a good time for a non amusement park type person? I'm sure it will be fun with my nieces, but I've never been to a big park / Disney type attraction and am not a huge ride fan.

Thanks in advance!
IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
EV Vancouver 2008
Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
Wrigley July 2013
Vancouver & Seattle 2013
Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
Mexico City 2015
Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
Ohana 2019 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JiggsJiggs Posts: 94
    Six Flags is about an hour drive, 35 miles away from Wrigleyville and downtown is about 15 minutes the opposite way from Wrigleyville.

I'm not sure on if paying for trains, cabs, etc all week would offset the cost of a hotel but you could get around fairly easily and could get to the show on the L-Train Friday for sure.

Six Flags obviously is an amusement park but there's plenty to do and will be fun!

Good luck!
    Coffee in the Morning, Beer at Night
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I have no idea if this joint is in your budget but if you want a place that's approximately midway between Gurnee and the city, you can check the rates at the Marriott Suites in Deerfield.
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 382
    There's plenty of places to stay near Old Orchard shopping center in Skokie. It's a bit closer to Chicago but it's still an easy drive to 6 flags

a google search of 'Old Orchard Skokie Hotel' gives you plenty of results.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • cmarch007cmarch007 Fishers, IN Posts: 293
    I grew up near Gurnee, so here is my take....

Stay near Northbrook. Pick a hotel off Lake Cook Rd. This should split your drive between Gurnee (Six Flags) & Wrigleyville. There is shopping nearby (Northbrook Court) and a ton of restaurants on Route 21 in Wheeling (5 minute drive west of Northbrook).

Six Flags is underrated. Check out the water park there as well. Gurnee also has Gurnee Mills shopping center nearby. Ten minutes south of Gurnee, in downtown Livertyville has a great local microbrewery (Mickey Finns) on Rte 21.
    Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Noblesville - May 07, 2010
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - Wisconsin- Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - Wisconsin - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL. July 19, 2013
    Pittsburgh - Oct 11, 2013
    Buffalo - Oct 12, 2013 GA-rail in McCready'ville
    Cincinnati - Oct 1st, 2014 GA 
    St. Louis - Oct 3rd, 2014
    Yield, WI (aka Milwaukee) - Oct 20, 2014 GA 7 people deep McCreadyville
    Lexington, KY (GA - 2nd row between Ed & Jeff!!!)
    Wrigley Field '16 N1 (GA)
    Wrigley Field '16 N2 
    Wrigley Field '18 (N1)
    Wrigley Field '18 N2 (GA)
    5 minute drive west of Northbrook
    5 minutes?
    :wtf:
    A presidential motorcade couldn't make it down Lake-Cook Road that fast.
  • Jstein1978Jstein1978 Posts: 548
    Lake Cook = My Hell
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    JTH wrote:
    5 minute drive west of Northbrook
    5 minutes?
    :wtf:
    A presidential motorcade couldn't make it down Lake-Cook Road that fast.

:lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    JTH wrote:
    I have no idea if this joint is in your budget but if you want a place that's approximately midway between Gurnee and the city, you can check the rates at the Marriott Suites in Deerfield.

If you use Priceline and bid low, you can probably get a really good deal on the Marriott or Hyatt in Deerfield on Lake Cook Rd. I got a room at the Hyatt with a $40 bid last summer.
  • Hotwire. Hotwire. Hotwire.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Marriott suites in Deerfield is isolated. It's right off I294 but not much is by it and Lake Cook has construction on it east of the hotel. There are a few hotels in Skokie by Old Orchard ( out door upscale mall .Eddie worked at dons fish market just down the road but it might have closed). Skokie swift is nearby which is a shuttle to the train that goes by Wrigley. Great America is about 20 miles north of skokie. Lincolnshire is another option further north unless you really want to stay in Gurnee.
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
    Marriott suites in Deerfield is isolated. It's right off I294 but not much is by it and Lake Cook has construction on it east of the hotel. There are a few hotels in Skokie by Old Orchard ( out door upscale mall .Eddie worked at dons fish market just down the road but it might have closed). Skokie swift is nearby which is a shuttle to the train that goes by Wrigley. Great America is about 20 miles north of skokie. Lincolnshire is another option further north unless you really want to stay in Gurnee.
    True, it's isolated, but the aforementioned Wheeling restaurants are literally 5-10 minutes away from there and there is really no need to ever drive east of there on Lake-Cook road.

If you can get a better rate at a hotel near Old Orchard, that's definitely a good option, but it's not like anything is really walking distance from there (aside from the mall).

Don's Fishmarket is, in fact, closed.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    ryanjp2323 wrote:
    Local help? First trip to Chicago for some Canadians.

So my brother and his wife and family (12 and 4 YO nieces) are meeting my dad and I in Chicago for the show the week of July 15th. A couple of days at six flags is on their agenda for Wednesday and Thursday, Bro and i are going to the show on Friday, then some down town museums, tourist stuff over the weekend.

He will rent a car from O'hare and i'm driving down from Manitoba so vehicles aren't an issue (apart from parking and drive time). Down town hotel rates are getting high for two rooms to accommodate four adults and two kids... Where would be a reasonable area to stay to have access to both 6 Flags, Wrigleyville and downtown attractions? Maybe wise to stay outside the city closer to 6 flags and for him and I to stay closer to Wrigley Friday night?

Selfish me... particularly concerned about the show Friday so Bro and I can both partake in some bevies and have a reasonable public transit / cab commute back to our "home base" for the week.

Suggestions?

Also is 6 flags great america a good time for a non amusement park type person? I'm sure it will be fun with my nieces, but I've never been to a big park / Disney type attraction and am not a huge ride fan.

Thanks in advance!
    My wife and I went to Six Flags, 2 weeks ago.
    The place was full of gang banging teenagers.

My wife went back to Six Flags today, with a friend of hers from work.
    They both had their purses stolen.

FUCK SIX FLAGS!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • u2gatoru2gator Posts: 94
    My wife and I are going to Six Flags on Wednesday. Right now it appears there is no easy way to get them from the city via public transit. Is that correct? Currently looking to meet her at the airport and rent a car to drive to Six Flags and then will return it that night when we get back into the city. Kind of surprised there is not a direct bus from the city to the park.

u2gator
    Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands
    the ones I love,..
    Some folks just have one,
    yeah, others, they've got none, huh-uh
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    u2gator wrote:
    My wife and I are going to Six Flags on Wednesday. Right now it appears there is no easy way to get them from the city via public transit. Is that correct? Currently looking to meet her at the airport and rent a car to drive to Six Flags and then will return it that night when we get back into the city. Kind of surprised there is not a direct bus from the city to the park.

u2gator

The only way via public transit would be to take a Metra train to Waukegan and then you'd have to take a bus. That would be a giant pain in the ass. I think you would be better off just driving. Good luck. I haven't been there in years, but I hear there are some real shady characters hanging out there these days.
    u2gator wrote:

u2gator

The only way via public transit would be to take a Metra train to Waukegan and then you'd have to take a bus. That would be a giant pain in the ass. I think you would be better off just driving. Good luck. I haven't been there in years, but I hear there are some real shady characters hanging out there these days.
    Six Flags is a Hell Hole!
    My wife and her friend were there yesterday.
    They place their purses in the containers that are at every ride, so you can put your belongings aside, go on the ride, and when you get off you take your belongings with you. You know what I mean. Everyone does it. Well they get off the ride, and their purses have been stolen.

They have had problems with gangbangers for years.
    A fact you can look up here on the internet.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    They place their purses in the containers that are at every ride, so you can put your belongings aside, go on the ride, and when you get off you take your belongings with you. You know what I mean. Everyone does it. Well they get off the ride, and their purses have been stolen.

Wow. That is awful. But not surprising. It's too bad that it has been ruined by all the gangbangers hanging out there. I used to love going there. Now I have no urge at all to go there.

Wow. That is awful. But not surprising. It's too bad that it has been ruined by all the gangbangers hanging out there. I used to love going there. Now I have no urge at all to go there.
    When Kathy and I went 3 weeks ago?
    HOLY FUCK!!!!
    It was gang banger heaven!!
    I cant believe Kathy went back there yesterday.

Six Flags is a fucking Hell Hole.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    sounds worse than GA
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434
    I remember standing in line for the Batman (1989) Ride for two hours once. You walk through the streets of Gotham with Tim Burton music playing and police sirens going off every few minutes and I actually thought I was going to get mugged! It was thug! I was looking up in the rafters for Batman to come save me!

Six Flags was once a very cool place. Not anymore. Pure trash.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
    I remember standing in line for the Batman (1989) Ride for two hours once. You walk through the streets of Gotham with Tim Burton music playing and police sirens going off every few minutes and I actually thought I was going to get mugged! It was thug! I was looking up in the rafters for Batman to come save me!

Six Flags was once a very cool place. Not anymore. Pure trash.
    Pure Trash!
    You got that right!

Pure Trash.

I would rather go to the zoo.
    At least they keep their animals in a cage.
  • NeutralMilkHotelNeutralMilkHotel Chicago Posts: 97
    Don't take your kids to Six Flags. There are much better options. Six Flags is not as "family-friendly" as you'd expect.
  • EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    http://www.pacebus.com/sub/espd/six_flags_express.asp.

There is a pace bus from the rosemont cta station on the weekends. I haven't been to great America in about 12 years. The riff raff tends to show up later in the day. I think they have lockers for rent which might be a good idea after hearing about belongings getting stolen on the rides. I really wanted to take my son there for the first time this summer

There is also a water park next door which I believe is part of admission.
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis