Anyone at chicago 05, house of blues?

mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
edited May 2013 in The Porch
Im really intrigued, did not follow the band as close then as i do now. I'm just looking for a synopsis of the event... I see that the played with robert plant, yer pj did a nice, full set. Was the house of blues pretty intimate? Were tickets impossible to come by? Was pj or plant the headliner? When was the show annouced? Was it highly anticipated amongst fans? Was the whole place ga? Any desriptionof this seemingly awesome night would be appriciated...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    It was a PJ concert in which all of the proceeds went to Hurricane Katrina Relief. I believe tickets were $1, 000. Plant happened to be in Chicago at the time and stopped by. I'm sure they rehearsed in advance. But it was a total suprise to the crowd. That's what I know, I wasn't there but I imagine it'd be an intimate place considering its size. Also would think it would be GA. Not 100% sure though.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    It was a PJ concert in which all of the proceeds went to Hurricane Katrina Relief. I believe tickets were $1, 000. Plant happened to be in Chicago at the time and stopped by. I'm sure they rehearsed in advance. But it was a total suprise to the crowd. That's what I know, I wasn't there but I imagine it'd be an intimate place considering its size. Also would think it would be GA. Not 100% sure though.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533

You are correct, sir.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    mookieb10 wrote:
    Im really intrigued, did not follow the band as close then as i do now. I'm just looking for a synopsis of the event... I see that the played with robert plant, yer pj did a nice, full set. Was the house of blues pretty intimate? Were tickets impossible to come by? Was pj or plant the headliner? When was the show annouced? Was it highly anticipated amongst fans? Was the whole place ga? Any desriptionof this seemingly awesome night would be appriciated...

10/05/05 – House of Blues, Chicago, IL, USA
    Support act: Robert Plant

Set: Love Boat Captain, Grievance, Do The Evolution, Even Flow, Dissident, Elderly Woman…, Corduroy, Green Disease, Daughter, Half Full, I Am Mine, Better Man, Black, Alive, Save You, Porch
    First encore: Man of the Hour, Hard to Imagine, I Got Shit, Rearviewmirror
    Second encore: Given to Fly, Going to California, Little Sister, Money (That’s What I Want), Fool In the Rain, Thank You
    Third encore: Rockin’ in the Free World

Notes: This show was a benefit for the survivors of Hurricane Katrina, tickets were $1000 with net proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity, The American Red Cross and Jazz Foundation of America. 25 pairs of Ten Club tickets were made available to Chicago members for a minimum $80 donation per pair. “Elderly Woman…” is dedicated to those from the nearby small town of Naperville. “Daughter” does not include a formal tag, but there are shout-outs between Ed and the crowd. Being a Chicago Cubs fan, Ed talked a little about Chicago’s other team, the White Sox, and the baseball playoffs (at the time of the show, White Sox are leading a playoff series). The crowd’s response induced both “Cubs!” and “Sox!” chants. Ed then grabbed a Sox hat from the crowd and said, “Ok, Ok, is this better?”. Someone threw a Cubs jersey with “23″ with “Vedder” on the back which he hung on his guitar stand. After “Man of the Hour”, everyone except Ed stands up off their stools. Ed asks for requests, (paraphrasing) “don’t get used to it, but you paid one big one ($1,000), so we’ll make an exception.” He comments that he hears “Bee Girl” and something else. Jeff, Mike and Stone are all interacting with fans in front of them who are yelling requests, including the now routine vocal plea for “Leash”. Mike heard a request, walked over to Ed and Ed said, “alright we’ll do that one”, leading to “Hard To Imagine”. By the time the band finishes the song, Ed has his guitar and starts the lead into “I Got Shit”. “Given to Fly” is dedicated to Robert Plant. During “Given To Fly”, he requested and received an Illinois license plate from the crowd which said “GVN TO FLY”. At the end of the song, Plant and his players Strange Sensation come out and go right into “Going to California” (from Led Zeppelin IV) as Ed sits on the drum riser, Mike and Jeff take a seat on the stage, and Stone stands to the side sipping some wine. The band is clearly into it as much as the crowd. Ed gets up, they have some banter and Plant stays on for Elvis Presley’s “Little Sister” trading off on verses (Robert Plant has performed “Little Sister” throughout his career as a solo artist and with The Honeydrippers). “Money (That’s What I Want)” (a motown hit from 1959 that has been covered in the past by the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and also by Robert Plant during his solo career) is played with Mike, Ed, Jeff, Stone, Matt all singing the “that’s what I want!” chorus. “Fool In the Rain” (from Led Zeppelin’s In Through the Out Door) is somewhat extended, with Boom providing the essential groove inherent to the song. Ed and Robert comment on having to have the lyric sheets and then they throw them to the crowd after the performance. “Thank You” (from Led Zeppelin II) was next, with Plant taking over most of the vocals as Ed left the stage. The band is clearly enjoying themselves and thrilled to be onstage with Robert Plant. They return for another encore with “Rockin’ in the Free World” with Robert Plant playing Ed’s guitar. Mike is shirtless for the encores. Ed does the usual “catch-pound-break-throw” routine with many tamborines. After a failed attempt, he flings one all the way to the balcony, but it is then thrown back into the pit by the person who caught it. Ed sees it come flying back and for a moment has a completely surprised look on his face as he looks back to the balcony. At close, the band left the stage with Plant and Ed out front. Ed started to leave the opposite way of Plant, stopped himself, then followed him off the same way, mouthing to the crowd and pointing “I’m with him”. On the setlist but not played: MFC (replaced by Green Disease), Last Kiss (replaced by “Hard to Imagine).
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • dufferduffer Posts: 135
    That all you got Pacer ?? :D
    What colour socks was Ed wearing ?
    What did the band have for breakfast ?
    Sat drinking wine
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    mookieb10 wrote:

I was there but the synopsis from TFT is right on, of what I recall. Show was announced, I believe, during the time of the Hamilton show in Canada. Plant opened with his then band at the time, the String Sensation. Was very intimate as the place clearly wasn't full by any means, so no, tickets were not impossible to come by. The whole place was GA. In actuality, the main set was very average, but understandable because of the potential different types of fans in the crowd. I do remember someone holding a sign saying something to the effect of the being the typical PJ fan so as to not play a standard set. My guess is that a majority of the people wanted a Vic type set. That being said, the night clearly changed the minute Plant came on with Pearl Jam. One of the top PJ moments in all of the shows I've been to, and I've been to a lot.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 771
    After listening to the bootleg, I would have paid $1000 to see this show. Seeing them play with Robert Plant would have been incredible.

Weird song position in the setlist for Alive.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    Side note: Fool In The Rain was the first time ever played live by Zeppelin or Robert Plant solo.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    Sounds great...so why no Zep covers in the rotation? I think Custard Pie or The Rover would be excellent choices... 8-)
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 771
    iisee wrote:
    Sounds great...so why no Zep covers in the rotation? I think Custard Pie or The Rover would be excellent choices... 8-)

Agreed. Zep covers would be awesome.
  • mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    100 Pacer wrote:
    mookieb10 wrote:

10/05/05 – House of Blues, Chicago, IL, USA
    Support act: Robert Plant

Set: Love Boat Captain, Grievance, Do The Evolution, Even Flow, Dissident, Elderly Woman…, Corduroy, Green Disease, Daughter, Half Full, I Am Mine, Better Man, Black, Alive, Save You, Porch
    First encore: Man of the Hour, Hard to Imagine, I Got Shit, Rearviewmirror
    Second encore: Given to Fly, Going to California, Little Sister, Money (That’s What I Want), Fool In the Rain, Thank You
    Third encore: Rockin’ in the Free World

Notes: This show was a benefit for the survivors of Hurricane Katrina, tickets were $1000 with net proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity, The American Red Cross and Jazz Foundation of America. 25 pairs of Ten Club tickets were made available to Chicago members for a minimum $80 donation per pair. “Elderly Woman…” is dedicated to those from the nearby small town of Naperville. “Daughter” does not include a formal tag, but there are shout-outs between Ed and the crowd. Being a Chicago Cubs fan, Ed talked a little about Chicago’s other team, the White Sox, and the baseball playoffs (at the time of the show, White Sox are leading a playoff series). The crowd’s response induced both “Cubs!” and “Sox!” chants. Ed then grabbed a Sox hat from the crowd and said, “Ok, Ok, is this better?”. Someone threw a Cubs jersey with “23″ with “Vedder” on the back which he hung on his guitar stand. After “Man of the Hour”, everyone except Ed stands up off their stools. Ed asks for requests, (paraphrasing) “don’t get used to it, but you paid one big one ($1,000), so we’ll make an exception.” He comments that he hears “Bee Girl” and something else. Jeff, Mike and Stone are all interacting with fans in front of them who are yelling requests, including the now routine vocal plea for “Leash”. Mike heard a request, walked over to Ed and Ed said, “alright we’ll do that one”, leading to “Hard To Imagine”. By the time the band finishes the song, Ed has his guitar and starts the lead into “I Got Shit”. “Given to Fly” is dedicated to Robert Plant. During “Given To Fly”, he requested and received an Illinois license plate from the crowd which said “GVN TO FLY”. At the end of the song, Plant and his players Strange Sensation come out and go right into “Going to California” (from Led Zeppelin IV) as Ed sits on the drum riser, Mike and Jeff take a seat on the stage, and Stone stands to the side sipping some wine. The band is clearly into it as much as the crowd. Ed gets up, they have some banter and Plant stays on for Elvis Presley’s “Little Sister” trading off on verses (Robert Plant has performed “Little Sister” throughout his career as a solo artist and with The Honeydrippers). “Money (That’s What I Want)” (a motown hit from 1959 that has been covered in the past by the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and also by Robert Plant during his solo career) is played with Mike, Ed, Jeff, Stone, Matt all singing the “that’s what I want!” chorus. “Fool In the Rain” (from Led Zeppelin’s In Through the Out Door) is somewhat extended, with Boom providing the essential groove inherent to the song. Ed and Robert comment on having to have the lyric sheets and then they throw them to the crowd after the performance. “Thank You” (from Led Zeppelin II) was next, with Plant taking over most of the vocals as Ed left the stage. The band is clearly enjoying themselves and thrilled to be onstage with Robert Plant. They return for another encore with “Rockin’ in the Free World” with Robert Plant playing Ed’s guitar. Mike is shirtless for the encores. Ed does the usual “catch-pound-break-throw” routine with many tamborines. After a failed attempt, he flings one all the way to the balcony, but it is then thrown back into the pit by the person who caught it. Ed sees it come flying back and for a moment has a completely surprised look on his face as he looks back to the balcony. At close, the band left the stage with Plant and Ed out front. Ed started to leave the opposite way of Plant, stopped himself, then followed him off the same way, mouthing to the crowd and pointing “I’m with him”. On the setlist but not played: MFC (replaced by Green Disease), Last Kiss (replaced by “Hard to Imagine).

I always forget to check on twofeet and the other sites. Thanks for the explaination. Seems just awesome!
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    mookieb10 wrote:
    Im really intrigued, did not follow the band as close then as i do now. I'm just looking for a synopsis of the event... I see that the played with Robert plant, yer pj did a nice, full set. Was the house of blues pretty intimate? Were tickets impossible to come by? Was pj or plant the headliner? When was the show announced? Was it highly anticipated amongst fans? Was the whole place ga? Any description this seemingly awesome night would be appreciated...

House of Blues is a Really AWESOME semi small venue.

I have never. Never, Never! Not had a GOOD time. It's very intimate.
    Adam Lazzara flew past me on a zipline thing. He was on stage downstairs, then he was getting a drink from the bar at my level. :lol:

Freaky_Adam_Lazzara1.jpg

taking-back-sunday-hp.jpg

This Guy is hard to track. If the crowd loses him... imagine

orig-1834431.jpg

crackdp2.jpg

LOL!

Looking for the infamous MIC Swing.. Adam is a handful of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0gH3IOA8s

He actually swings it around his neck lately.. He could Die?!!

But this is my favorite song.. kind of, I like them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4sYp_Vpfuk

This video shows that they MUST have/ do like PEARL JAM.

Adam is younger and he can hang upside down for a few songs. I like PJ always more. But I enjoy the followers.

How funny, I went back to fix my spelling and it wasn't me! :D
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    STAYSEA wrote:
    mookieb10 wrote:
    Im really intrigued, did not follow the band as close then as i do now. I'm just looking for a synopsis of the event... I see that the played with Robert plant, yer pj did a nice, full set. Was the house of blues pretty intimate? Were tickets impossible to come by? Was pj or plant the headliner? When was the show announced? Was it highly anticipated amongst fans? Was the whole place ga? Any description this seemingly awesome night would be appreciated...

House of Blues is a Really AWESOME semi small venue.

I have never. Never, Never! Not had a GOOD time. It's very intimate.
    Adam Lazzara flew past me on a zipline thing. He was on stage downstairs, then he was getting a drink from the bar at my level. :lol:

Freaky_Adam_Lazzara1.jpg

taking-back-sunday-hp.jpg

This Guy is hard to track. If the crowd loses him... imagine

orig-1834431.jpg

crackdp2.jpg

LOL!

Looking for the infamous MIC Swing.. Adam is a handful of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0gH3IOA8s

He actually swings it around his neck lately.. He could Die?!!

But this is my favorite song.. kind of, I like them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4sYp_Vpfuk

This video shows that they MUST have/ do like PEARL JAM.

Adam is younger and he can hang upside down for a few songs. I like PJ always more. But I enjoy the followers.

How funny, I went back to fix my spelling and it wasn't me! :D

So.....this all happened in Chicago 2005 at the House of Blues while Pearl Jam and Robert Plant were playing?
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Talking about song positions, opening Encore II with Given to Fly before Zeppelin's start with Going to California seems preplanned, regarding the alleged similarities between these songs. PJ seems to be showing that they are aware of this talk but they dont take it seriously.
    After listening to the bootleg, I would have paid $1000 to see this show. Seeing them play with Robert Plant would have been incredible.

Weird song position in the setlist for Alive.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Later posts in this thread somewhat undermine this idea that Plant was total surprise. I remember when listening to the bootleg, some sing-alongs to Zeppelin songs. I cannot comment on how likely that is with a pure PJ crowd, though.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    I was at the show.

Tickets were pretty easy to come by if you had an extra $1,000.00.
    They were still available at the door.
    They also had $10,000 donation for box seating if I remember correctly?

I don't remember Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation being a surprise.
    It was on the bill from the beginning.

The story around "Hard to Imagine" was a bit different from what I could remember.
    I was situated about third row between Ed and Mike. (Mike was throwing pics out by the handful all night.)
    The crowd could see the setlist quite easily and when "Last Kiss" was up next a small chant started from the front row "No Last Kiss, No Last Kiss." Then the rest pretty much follows as what was written in the other posted entry. Ed was like well you paid 1 large, we'll take a request but don't get used to it.... After a bit of discussion between members Mike rolls right into HTI.

We had early HOB entry as a friend had HOB membership. We didn't see or hear the sound check/practice but one of the regular PJ security guy's told us we were in for something special.
    Given to Fly blended right into Going to California was a highlight for me.
    The bootleg is pretty good quality worth the download if you can find it~
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    I just bumped the setlist thread in the Given To Fly forum.

It was billed as Pearl Jam w/ Robert Plant & The Strange Sensations
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    october22 wrote:
    So.....this all happened in Chicago 2005 at the House of Blues while Pearl Jam and Robert Plant were playing?

I saw Robert Plant separately from Pearl Jam.

I posted a review. I'm not going to post it here.

Hard Rock Live - Hollywood, FL

"Great show, but the sound system blew out about mid way through. The band ended up pointing their monitors out into the crowd to make up for the lack of sound......
    Favorite moment: When the sound system blew out, my ears are still hurting!
    Setlist: Missed half of the show because of the sound system.....
    Opening act(s): Poor sound, mediocre band Lee Boys. Would have been better if the sound system was worth a darn..."

That was the loudest noise I have ever heard. The House of Blues would not ever have issues with sound systems. That was my one time to see him sing "Ramblings". I doubt that will ever happen again.

I have expired yogurt from October I should toss.... :D
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    The story around "Hard to Imagine" was a bit different from what I could remember.
    I was situated about third row between Ed and Mike. (Mike was throwing pics out by the handful all night.)
    The crowd could see the setlist quite easily and when "Last Kiss" was up next a small chant started from the front row "No Last Kiss, No Last Kiss." Then the rest pretty much follows as what was written in the other posted entry. Ed was like well you paid 1 large, we'll take a request but don't get used to it.... After a bit of discussion between members Mike rolls right into HTI.

We had early HOB entry as a friend had HOB membership. We didn't see or hear the sound check/practice but one of the regular PJ security guy's told us we were in for something special.
    Given to Fly blended right into Going to California was a highlight for me.
    The bootleg is pretty good quality worth the download if you can find it~

That's pretty much it. I still have the yellow piece of paper somewhere that I wrote "Hard to Imagine" on. One of the guys I was with started the "no Last Kiss" chant.

As for the soundcheck, we heard a pretty slow version of the chords in Thank You. I was convinced it was Naked Eye at first because it was being that slowly played.
  • jnikojniko Posts: 292
    Couple things about the show. Robert Plant started the show at 9pm. Show didn't end until after 1pm. This added to the whole event for me. Also caught the last of Ed's tambourines and had to guard it like it was a bag of diamonds from the rest of crowd around me. The ending with Plant and Eddie trading verses and Plant playing Ed's guitar on RITFW was unbelievable. Hard to Imagine as a request was awesome. Ed was doing his crazy eyes the whole night. He went into the crowd and was held up by a mosh pit during Porch. I think he was putting on a great show for Plant. Also best by far I got Id ever seen. I've seen it five times.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    This is one of my favorite boots to listen to. The quality isn't the greatest...hopefully it gets a proper release some day. I was at the White Sox playoff game that night. Probably better off because I was still in college and probably would have just paid $1K for this on a credit card like an asshole.
  • theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    Bump cuz I just now learned of this show. Didn't listen to PJ from 1994 to 2013 but got back on the bus.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    We were there.
    1. The show was announced on 9/14, we were driving back to Chicago from Hamilton after 3 Canadian shows.
    2. Robert Plant was not a surprise guest. He was the opener and had been announced in between the initial announcement and the day of the show.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • I was at this show and it was worth every penny! Would do it again too.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    This would make a good vault release.