5.9 Earthquake, Susanville, CA

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
5.9, Epicenter:Susanville, CA. About just before 9 PM. Anybody else in CA feel it? We sure did. Shook the whole house back and forth.
The cat was a bit freaked. I was just hoping the needle wasn't going to jump on my new Doors vinyl. (Priorities- :lol: )
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    Not here. :|
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    mca47 wrote:
    Not here. :|

Too far!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    i did not feel it...So Cal

damn...5.9 isn't small either
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • That's nothing, we've got I-5 collapsing into a river up here in Washington. Hope you didn't sustain any damage
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    The latest news says this was 5.7 (not 5.9), epicenter Greenville (which is in the Susanville area. Despite being "only" 5.7 it's said to have felt like 7.0 because it was a shallow quake. Lots of moderate damage reports have come in. We live about 185 miles from Greenville but felt it quite strongly, like being in a rocking boat. The epicenter is located near several dormant volcanoes at the very wouthern end of the Cascade Range so there is concern that way (but this is from TV news- I'd wait for USGS reports before getting too excited.)
    That's nothing, we've got I-5 collapsing into a river up here in Washington. Hope you didn't sustain any damage

Oh man! That's a good indication of how strong the effects were considering only 5.7. Very unusual. No damage here in Placerville as far as I know- will find out about downtown (which is on old riverbed and thus less stable) tomorrow.

• prismprism Posts: 2,440
    brianlux wrote:
    The latest news says this was 5.7 (not 5.9), epicenter Greenville (which is in the Susanville area. Despite being "only" 5.7 it's said to have felt like 7.0 because it was a shallow quake. Lots of moderate damage reports have come in. We live about 185 miles from Greenville but felt it quite strongly, like being in a rocking boat. The epicenter is located near several dormant volcanoes at the very wouthern end of the Cascade Range so there is concern that way (but this is from TV news- I'd wait for USGS reports before getting too excited.)
    That's nothing, we've got I-5 collapsing into a river up here in Washington. Hope you didn't sustain any damage

Oh man! That's a good indication of how strong the effects were considering only 5.7. Very unusual. No damage here in Placerville as far as I know- will find out about downtown (which is on old riverbed and thus less stable) tomorrow.

Glad you're okay and got no damage

the I-5 bridge over the Skagit River between Burlington (to the north) and Mt Vernon (on the south) collapsing into the water had nothing to do with any earthquake. investigators aren't saying for certain but according to witnesses a truck with an over-sized load hit it taking out support beams...then the span collapsed behind it as it continued on across. apparently the truck was following the lead car too closely to be able to get over in the left lane or stop before hitting it. the bridge being so old and rusty likely contributed to it collapsing too.

the news is reporting that luckily the drivers of the 3 vehicles that landed in the water were sucessfully rescued and taken to nearby hospitals...they haven't disclosed their injuries. it's totally remarkable that no one was killed

really relieved my daughter called me before i turned on the news and had the chance to freak out.
    she crosses over that bridge at least twice a day, often more. she lives in Mt Vernon and still works up here 30 miles north. im so glad she stuck around to finish out her shift since she had dinner plans with a friend after work. otherwise she would've left when her boss told her she could leave early. in which case she woulda just gone home...that would've had her crossing the bridge somewhere around the time it fell.

now all the I-5 traffic has to exit the freeway on each side of the river and go over the little rickety 30 mph burlington bridge. traffic's gonna be a hellava clusterfuck. oh well....better to be inconvienced than dead in a freezing cold glacier-fed river
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~