Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I've just seen this, outrageous... how come the kept the name of the band Scott Weiland created? At least it sounds as STP, and way better than Talk Show... but nonetheless it's insane... Never cared about Linkin Park, I won't care about STP anymore... wonder if Weiland has a chance to come back to Velvet Revolver...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,686
    Hahahah don't know what to say, I can't stand linkin park.. I really liked stp, I like Scott and this is just redicules in my opinion, and again my opinion.. stp isn't anything without Scott

Didn't meant to hijack your post just can't believe this :lol:
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    This is what seperates Pearl Jam from a lot of bands from their era IMO. I couldn't fathom the band continuing to make music as PJ without Eddie ... or Stone, Mike or Jeff for that matter.

On the surface ... the song is a decent ... straight forward rock tune. But ... if that ain't a cookie cutter STP with Weiland type song formula ... I don't know what is.

Then again ... I guess if the band had changed their name to PTS (Post Traumatic Syndrome?) ... I'd be able to swallow it easier.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,955
    Good for them, I saw Chester sit in with STP, with Scott, at the Family Values Tour in 2001 and it was a great fit. I just wonder how long it will be before Chester is in rehab.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • DM213518DM213518 Posts: 117
    Tinz,you're right Scott is STP. They should have used a different name,but that probably wouldn't work. Remember Army of Anyone? I wish them luck. They are talented musicians and nice enough guys.
  • DM213518 wrote:
    Tinz,you're right Scott is STP. They should have used a different name,but that probably wouldn't work. Remember Army of Anyone? I wish them luck. They are talented musicians and nice enough guys.

they didn't go for a different name because they were actually quite forward with the fact that they wanted someone famous to front the band, so they didn't have "Talk Show syndrome". it's too bad, because great music usually speaks for itself, regardless of the name. the deleo brothers churn out great radio rock, but that's all it is. people pay attention to new things, something other than the usual.

people will pay attention to this for about 3 seconds.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    11-newcoke02-050211.jpg
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • 11-newcoke02-050211.jpg

pretty much!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    I'm not convinced. The song is ok as a straight up rock song but nothing special. Vocally, I've always thought Chester Bennington sounded like a poor man's Richard Patrick, so to me this sounds more like Army Of Anyone than STP.

I found this video of them performing at KROQ's Weenie Roast with Bennington: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHiEYrJJlZY

He doesn't sound awful, but he pales in comparsion to Weiland (when he's on form).
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    They should have hired marky Mark walburgh
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    No no and more NO!!!!! :nono:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I don't know what to think about this. I don't mind their reasoning for wanting to keep the name, but it seems like such a weird move. The song itself is not good. Chester doesn't sound too bad on the live stuff, but he doesn't sound great or like that good of a fit either.

I'm kinda surprised by how many people are having "this is Weiland's band" sentiments, here and other places. He's a big part of their success, but he's written some pretty juvenile lyrics and is mostly responsible for their downfall. I always thought they were much more interesting musically than about anything supplied by Weiland. The Deleo brothers are pretty amazing.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I don't know what to think about this. I don't mind their reasoning for wanting to keep the name, but it seems like such a weird move. The song itself is not good. Chester doesn't sound too bad on the live stuff, but he doesn't sound great or like that good of a fit either.

I'm kinda surprised by how many people are having "this is Weiland's band" sentiments, here and other places. He's a big part of their success, but he's written some pretty juvenile lyrics and is mostly responsible for their downfall. I always thought they were much more interesting musically than about anything supplied by Weiland. The Deleo brothers are pretty amazing.

yeah, the deleo brothers are the musical part of the band. without them, or other songwriters, in my opinion, weilend is virtually nothing. it's not weiland's band at all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Whilst I absolutely respect the Deleo brothers as writers and musicians, I don't think it's entirely fair to discount Weiland's contribution. Decent vocal melodies do not write themselves, and Scott has come up with plenty of amazing ones in his time. I think it's fair to say that musically speaking they bring the best out in each other. It's just such a shame that he can't get his shit together, addiction is a sad thing.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Talk Show 2?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    I watched the live stream of their surprise set at KROQ's Weenie Roast last night and I thought it surprisingly worked. I'm not a Linkin Park fan and joked that when STP fired Weiland, they were basically firing themselves as a band. It's always tough when you're replacing a singer in any band, especially one that's been the only voice and one that's iconic for that particular band. I thought it was just a one off deal as Weenie Roast always has one surprise set each year, so I was surprised that this was something that's more permanent, releasing the new song and relaunching their site in the wake of the performance. I'm slightly intrigued.
  • Whilst I absolutely respect the Deleo brothers as writers and musicians, I don't think it's entirely fair to discount Weiland's contribution. Decent vocal melodies do not write themselves, and Scott has come up with plenty of amazing ones in his time. I think it's fair to say that musically speaking they bring the best out in each other. It's just such a shame that he can't get his shit together, addiction is a sad thing.

true, vocal melodies can be tough (being a vocalist and a bassist I can attest to that), but if you look at the body of work that each of them has outside of STP, the deleo's, especially Robert, are clearly superior on their own. Has scott even ever written a song all by himself?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    true, vocal melodies can be tough (being a vocalist and a bassist I can attest to that), but if you look at the body of work that each of them has outside of STP, the deleo's, especially Robert, are clearly superior on their own. Has scott even ever written a song all by himself?

With respect, I think that's irrelevant. I like music by all their side projects/solo stuff etc, but none of it beats STP's best stuff. They have a certain type of chemistry that NONE of them seem to be able to recreate without the other.
  • LukinFan wrote:
    Talk Show 2?

If anything this probably turns STP into the Van Halen of the 90's scene.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    STP is dead and has been for a long time now.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    badbrains wrote:
    Since 2002 I believe.
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,373
    Puts on fire retardant suit.

Great job STP!!!! You have every right to keep and use that name as 3/4 of you are still there!! Scott was a part of the band, he just became the cancerous part. Do you change your name after you cut out cancer....no

Would I have thought Chester for a first thought replacement...Hell No.... After hearing the performance I say great choice!! That is the first of their performances and will only blend more and create more of their thing together in time.

Don't get me wrong I like Scott alot and like anything his voice is what got us all to like the band, but how much more of his bullshit could the rest of the band take, and how many times do they need to patch up from Scott's problems. They helped build the band too and it was more their band than his.

If Scott could take it seriously and not show up late for his own shows now he has a chance. Also no matter what Scott will have a long career riding the Purple to the Core tour for $$.

I hope Scott gets his shit straight and I will still buy anything he puts out (shit I even bought the ridiculous Christmas album) because he is good. But at the same time I will support STP for who they are now because we all love the music they created when the 4 members originally came together...If they hadn't would any of them be famous today?
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • true, vocal melodies can be tough (being a vocalist and a bassist I can attest to that), but if you look at the body of work that each of them has outside of STP, the deleo's, especially Robert, are clearly superior on their own. Has scott even ever written a song all by himself?

With respect, I think that's irrelevant. I like music by all their side projects/solo stuff etc, but none of it beats STP's best stuff. They have a certain type of chemistry that NONE of them seem to be able to recreate without the other.

I disagree. I think Talk Show was as strong a record as any STP record. They just didn't have the "star power" to get any support from radio or their record company.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    So does this mean Linkin Park done then?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    So does this mean Linkin Park done then?

Unfortunately no.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this band has become a joke to me now. every member, not just scott. what a shame.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Talk show was a great album. I enjoy it.
    STP was a great band, however I refused to see them live because of ... well you know. Check out STP'S last performance in Houston via youtube.

I have seen Linkin Park live- not my cup of tea, I went for Incubus (who were opening, thus had free tix).

Chester with STP ... I'm on the fence.

Then again, I didn't think AIC would work without Layne, and the reception has been quite positive on the whole; and I do like the last record with Will, looking forward to the new one on 5/28.

Live is fixing to do the same thing: tour without Ed, think I read that somewhere.

Now, I know AIC/ and AC/DC may be a different boat because the lead vocalists have passed away, but they have both recieved positive recognition and support from fans for continuing. This, I know other bands like Journey, Styx, ect have done the same thing in live settings/ later album releases so... so I don't know, guess we will see how things pan out. 8-)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    LloydXmas wrote:
    badbrains wrote:
    Since 2002 I believe.

Sounds about right. The 4th album was the last STP album worth the vinyl or plastic it was printed on.
  • Not a LP fan, though I dig the song somewhere I belong. Chester is a very intelligent, bright and nice guy.

Question becomes.....would you go see Scott Weiland and his band or STP with Chester if you had to pick one? Given many of the same songs would be played.
    All things considered, I think I would actually pick STP w/Chester.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
    I disagree. I think Talk Show was as strong a record as any STP record. They just didn't have the "star power" to get any support from radio or their record company.

That star power being Scott Weiland.....