John Densmore Book Signing

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
edited May 2013 in Other Music
Just got back from Dimple Records in Sacramento where John Densmore was doing a book signing for his now book, The Doors Unhinged, Jim Morrison's Legacy Goes on Trial. Mr. Densmore spoke briefly and thanked us for not giving him butterflies in his stomach and the very patiently and graciously greeted a long line of us and signed books. The books were available at the store and my wife bought one for me for my upcoming birthday and to get signed. It turns out that the books offered at the signing are limited editions and numbered. Yes, I'm a book dealer. No, there's no way on God's green earth I'm selling my copy! :)

I thanked John for mentioning Elvin Jones in his first book Riders on the Storm and he said, "Are you kidding? Of course I did! He was my mentor!" He was very friendly and kind- and very patient sit there so long and meet all of us. I'll post a few pics when I get the time.

After we left the record store we went next door to Dimple Books and my wife said, "They should be done by now. Let's go back and ask John if he would like to go out for a drink."

"Ha, ha, ha,", I said. "You are kidding, right?"

The woman has a lot of moxy. "No, come on let's go."

So sure enough we went back to the record store and she went right up to Densmore and said, "You must be awfully thirsty after all this time, can we buy you a drink or something?"

Densmore smile and said, "That's very nice, but no thank you. What I really need right now is bed and sleep."

It was a real honor to meet John Densmore. If your a Doors/Densmore fan and get a chance to go to one of his book signing, go for it!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    celia is an awesome lady brian... even when she gives time limits in bookstores. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    celia is an awesome lady brian... even when she gives time limits in bookstores. ;):lol:

So true! :lol:

:wave:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    :wave:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    BEE

?
  • Johnny AggroJohnny Aggro Posts: 542
    Cool story Brian. I was hanging on a knife edge hoping the story ended with some expensive Brandy!!
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
    Cool story Brian. I was hanging on a knife edge hoping the story ended with some expensive Brandy!!

I was kind of hoping so too! :D He seems like a really nice guy- someone who would be easy to talk to. I think him doing meditation has kept him very level- no easy task in the world of rock and roll!

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Nice story!

You didn't by chance ask him why he doesn't tour with Manzarek and Krieger? We saw them last year, and was wondering if he won't work with his former bandmates.
    Free wrote:
    Nice story!

You didn't by chance ask him why he doesn't tour with Manzarek and Krieger? We saw them last year, and was wondering if he won't work with his former bandmates.

Excellent question! Though I haven't had time to read Densmore's new book (and will devour it when I get the time!) he told us that The Doors Unhingedis mostly about the legal hassles that occurred between him and Manzarek and Krieger when the latter two reformed "The Doors" with a new singer. Densmore's contention is that because the original band had agreed that no changes to the band would be made without everyone's consent and that because Morrison is no longer around to cast his vote, that reforming using the band's name was out of place. At the signing he did mention that the last chapter in his new book is an "olive branch" to the other two Doors written with the hope of bringing them back together. He said, "I don't know, maybe we should get back together for a benefit concert or something," to which we all voiced approval!

As a side note, in the book there is a photo of Densmore playing with Eddie at the Wiltern Theatre in 2011. Also, Eddie is quoted on the back of the book as saying:

"Though it's something I don't like to think about, there will come a time when I will be a Dead Rock Star. I can only hope that in my inevitable absence, there will be someone with the integrity and principled behavior of Mr. Densmore looking after whatever legacy our group may leave behind."

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Cool! I couldn't make it to the signing he did here. I did pick up one of the signed copies though.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Cool! I couldn't make it to the signing he did here. I did pick up one of the signed copies though.

Nice! I can't wait to get time to read it!

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Cool fucken story Brian!!! Love the doors, had many, many, many insane trips with there music! College was a trip man!!! :D
    badbrains wrote:
    Cool fucken story Brian!!! Love the doors, had many, many, many insane trips with there music! College was a trip man!!! :D

Excellent! :thumbup:

At this very moment I'm listening to "The Matrix Tapes- live at San Francisco 1967" LP that I just picked up and am having my mind thoroughly blown! :mrgreen:

• alf7624alf7624 Posts: 102
    I got to meet John Densmore at his book signing in NJ at Vintage Vinyl back in April. He was real nice, speaking with each fan for a little bit. It was real cool to meet a guy from such a iconic, legendary band.

I got him to sign the limited edition hard cover (#449 of 2500), and got him to sign a vinyl LP of The Doors - Other Voices.
    ===============================================================
    PJ Shows-
    2022-  Camden, NJ 9/14/22
    2021 - Asbury Park, NJ  - 9/18/21
    2018 - Boston 1 & 2 - 9/2/18 & 9/4/18
    2016 - Chicago 1 -8/20/16 // Boston 1&2- 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 // NYC 1- 5/1/16
    2015- NYC- 9/26/15
    2013- Brooklyn, NY 1&2- 10/18/13 & 10/19/13 // Chicago- 7/19/13
    2010- NYC- 5/20/10
    2009- Philly- 10/31/09
    2008- EV Solo Newark NJPAC- 8/7/08 // Mansfield- 6/28/08 // NYC- 6/24/08
    2006- E. Ruth, NJ 1 & 2- 6/1/06 & 6/3/06
    2003- NYC 1&2- 7/8/03 & 7/9/03 // Uniondale, NY- 4/30/03
    2000- Jones Beach 1&2- 8/23/00 & 8/24/00
    1998- NYC- 9/11/98 (2nd Row) // E. Ruth, NJ- 9/8/98 (First PJ show)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Very cool story. I need to reread Riders... and then get his new book.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1