Expiration Dates

RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Technically, some foods are still edible after the date. Do you follow them? Or do you go by the 'Look and Smell' test?

:corn:
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited May 2013
    chuck it....

i won't eat anything past code.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    it's always good until next Tuesday
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    Look and smell :oops: :P
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the other day, a certain someone that shall remain nameless, ate a strawberry with a little mold on it.

for the next 8 hours, all i heard was, i ate mold....i ate mold.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I learned the hard way to pay attention to the ones on Drug Bottles, old medicine will get you sick.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    It depends on what it is, and how long past.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    depends on the item but mostly stick with the date.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    the other day, a certain someone that shall remain nameless, ate a strawberry with a little mold on it.

I hope the nameless person doesn't eat blue cheese, or mushrooms...
    MayDay10 wrote:

like? Like I have a canister of Lipton tea that expired 2 years ago...there is no mold since it's dried leaves...would you use it or toss it?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    tea would probably be fine with me.

Dairy, real perishibles, no.

Condiments like catsup, mustard, etc, probably (within reason)

Things in a jar like jalapenos, pickles would be fine too.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I eat expired food all the time... stale it out at work and take it home

It's probably the cheapest thing I do.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

yeah, I was watching some 'investigative report' and grocery stores aren't required to 'rotate stock', they have a right to sell expired food, there aren't any laws against it.

- Christopher McCandless
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    RKCNDY wrote:

yeah, I was watching some 'investigative report' and grocery stores aren't required to 'rotate stock', they have a right to sell expired food, there aren't any laws against it.

Damn those grocery stores I guess.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    In Germany there are some bigger chain supermarkets that give you 5 euros per find if you spot expired food in their shelves.

I cannot eat lemon yogurt anymore because I once had an expired one. The mould looked so disgusting that it is forever engrained in my brain. So yeah, I do go by smell and looks, but I am very critical. No mold. No stinky sea stuff. Pickles and tea are fine.
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    By look, feel and smell. Expiration dates often mean nothing and most foods are OK to eat past the dates, it just gets you buying more food and saves them from frivolous law suits.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Look and smell

+1

I once watched a documentary about a big chain supermarket in Japan (can't remember names) that every two hours has its personnel throw food products away because - according to them - of the expiration date. :o So don't believe these things. I guess all these things are related to population and the ingredients of some products (they use to put a lot of preservatives in our food these days). ;)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I pay little attention to them and just go by the look/smell and then taste.

Good examples:
    Condiments
    Almost anything in a can that was put there this century
    My dad (sorry, couldn't resist, I used to tell him he outlived his expiration date when he made it more than a year past the doctor's estimate)

Bad examples:
    A number of things that have made me retch when I looked closely at them and then sniffed.
    (Milk being the primary)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995

Good examples:
    Condiments
    My dad (sorry, couldn't resist, I used to tell him he outlived his expiration date when he made it more than a year past the doctor's estimate)

Bad examples:
    A number of things that have made me retch when I looked closely at them and then sniffed.
    (Milk being the primary)

I'm paranoid about milk. After pouring a glass and taking a big gulp - only to realize it had gone bad. And yeah, it was past the expiration date.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Enkidu wrote:

Good examples:
    Condiments

Bad examples:
    (Milk being the primary)

I'm paranoid about milk. After pouring a glass and taking a big gulp - only to realize it had gone bad. And yeah, it was past the expiration date.

I watched my brother one time pour a bunch of expired milk onto his cereal and get the spoon to his mouth before he smelled it. Looked like cottage cheese. I laughed so hard I cried.
    (We were teenagers, I would tell him not to eat it now. :lol: )
    I watched my brother one time pour a bunch of expired milk onto his cereal and get the spoon to his mouth before he smelled it. Looked like cottage cheese. I laughed so hard I cried.

i'd still let him eat it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    Cottage cheese today best by: May 10. It was still fresh. Milk,even if the date is good, I still smell it first. It only takes one time for that to happen.
    I once bought a pizza from a grocery store took it off the cardboard bottom to place in the oven and the whole bottom was covered in mold. :sick:
    Chips and pretzels etc. last way past the expiration date listed.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

I hope the nameless person doesn't eat blue cheese, or mushrooms...
    MayDay10 wrote:

like? Like I have a canister of Lipton tea that expired 2 years ago...there is no mold since it's dried leaves...would you use it or toss it?

Tea should be fine. neverheard of a canister of lipton tho i'm assuming loose tea? i'd say make a cup to test it. two years seems like a stretch but i KNOW i've got teabags that are over 3 years old in the kitchen... there's no expiration date on the box, i still use them and they're fine.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I keep expiry dates in mind when it comes to eggs and especially dairy. Everything else I get is fresh.
    But yeah, expired dairy is dumped a few days after I buy it...except for quality cheese!
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I always go by the expiration date... I just don't want to take any chances and get sick :P
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    81 wrote:

i'd still let him eat it.
    :lol:
    Well, maybe!