Weird things my cat does.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
OK cat lovers, what's wrong with this picture? My cat has taken up some very strange habits. She seems very fixated with toilets. Yes, it's embarrassing to admit this, but when a toilet gets flushed around here, she jumps up on the seat, sticks her head down in that thing and stares like the most incredible thing on earth is happening.

And this: I give her copious amounts of fresh water every day. We have well water that's been tested and it's very clean and good tasting (yes, lucky us!). But does she drink this water we give her? No, she drinks out of the toilet or laps up any drops of water left in the bathroom sink (no, she isn't allowed on the kitchen counters or dining room table). What's with that?

And another thing- she has this thing for toilet paper. She'll unwind an entire roll if she gets the notion to.

I'm very worried. I think my cat may be anal retentive or something like that. I'm not sure what to do. Excuse me, I think I need a good stiff drink.

Thanks for listening.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    :lol::lol::lol:

Some breeds are really into water, I read, like Bengals, for example. They are known to play with faucets, jump into showers and also finding great interest in checking out the toilet. Maybe your cat has some Bengal in her?

As for the toilet paper ... Sam goes wild whenever she comes across paper or paper towels. She licks them like nothing else... Kitties are crazy :mrgreen:

One of her other interesting traits is what we call the "icky paw". When she disapproves of something, she shakes her paw really fast as if she wanted to wipe it away :lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    brianlux wrote:
    I think I need a good stiff drink.

Or a dog.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    my buddys cat loved to drink out of the toilet. That thing is a little bastard :lol: I really I hope I never see it again
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    have you considered closing the toilet lid?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    And if not, make sure no chemicals are in it that could harm the kitteh!
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

or turds.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Kitteh :lol:;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Some breeds are really into water, I read, like Bengals, for example. They are known to play with faucets, jump into showers and also finding great interest in checking out the toilet. Maybe your cat has some Bengal in her?

As for the toilet paper ... Sam goes wild whenever she comes across paper or paper towels. She licks them like nothing else... Kitties are crazy :mrgreen:

One of her other interesting traits is what we call the "icky paw". When she disapproves of something, she shakes her paw really fast as if she wanted to wipe it away :lol:

She's black with black with yellow/green eyes and has one tiny white patch on her cheek. I think that makes her a rare Reverse Marlyn Monroe Cat. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

81 wrote:
    have you considered closing the toilet lid?

I would but it's just too funny watching her. :lol:

• oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    81 wrote:

or turds.....
    :nono: In the words of the great Ed Koch during water rationing in NYC, ". . . If it's brown, flush it down."

Brian,

Our last cat also had a weird relationship with water. When someone was bathing, he would sit on the edge of the bathtub and dip his paws in and try to scoop the water up in his paw. He would lean over so far, that he would occasionally fall in, which he seemed to find a little disconcerting. And would quickly jump back up on the side of the tub. He didn't like drinking out of a bowl either, he preferred the faucet in the tub be left running in a very small stream and then he would lap the water from there. :roll:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    81 wrote:

or turds.....
    :nono: In the words of the great Ed Koch during water rationing in NYC, ". . . If it's brown, flush it down."

Brian,

Our last cat also had a weird relationship with water. When someone was bathing, he would sit on the edge of the bathtub and dip his paws in and try to scoop the water up in his paw. He would lean over so far, that he would occasionally fall in, which he seemed to find a little disconcerting. And would quickly jump back up on the side of the tub. He didn't like drinking out of a bowl either, he preferred the faucet in the tub be left running in a very small stream and then he would lap the water from there. :roll:

Thanks for reminding me, oceaninmyeyess, that's the other thing-- she loves to watch people bathe. Get in the shower, and there she is staring and staring. Good heavens, it's embarrassing! :lol:

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Perfectly normal cat Brianlux.

Toilet - noise, gushing of water, movement, 'things' moving about - lots of fun!

Drinking out of it... the water is cold and the cat has seen water moving about - loves that. Just like water from the tap (even if it's only the little puddle left in the sink).

Toilet roll unravelling - the best fun ever!

I had a Van that LOVED water (as Vans usually do) but, even without going to that extreme, cats to have this 'love-hate' relationship with water...

Also Brianlux.... just be careful when you're naked... Dangly bits are always an attraction for cats!!!!!
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    redrock wrote:

Also Brianlux.... just be careful when you're naked... Dangly bits are always an attraction for cats!!!!!
    :lol::lol::lol:;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    cat-treadmill.jpg
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    redrock wrote:

Just thinking about that... :shock:

cat-treadmill.jpg

brianlux wrote:
    redrock wrote:

My husband learned the hard way. He is now wary of our cats when they stare at him in the shower or when getting dressed. His underwear gets put on pretty quickly once the bathrobe comes off!
    redrock wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    redrock wrote:

My husband learned the hard way. He is now wary of our cats when they stare at him in the shower or when getting dressed. His underwear gets put on pretty quickly once the bathrobe comes off!

:lol:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Mine drools when she's really happy. And I don't mean just a small leak, or even like a drooly dog. It literally pours out of her mouth, almost in a stream if she's happy enough, and makes puddles and big wet patches on everything. It's actually pretty gross. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Mine drools when she's really happy. And I don't mean just a small leak, or even like a drooly dog. It literally pours out of her mouth, almost in a stream if she's happy enough, and makes puddles and big wet patches on everything. It's actually pretty gross. :lol:

Sick :lol:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    My cat likes to unravel the toilet paper too. When she was a kitten, shed grab the end and take off running. I'd come from work and there was toilet paper from the bathroom to the kitchen. :lol:
    And she loves to destroy my paper towels. She knock the roll off the counter then rip it apart. I'll have shredded paper towels all over the place! :fp:

What's weird is when I grind coffee beans. She'll hear the coffee package and start talking. Mostly "chirping". She'll chirp like she's talking. Won't stop until I'm don't grinding. I'll then say something to her and she'll talk back to me. :lol:
    She's nuts but lots of fun.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    brianlux wrote:
    OK cat lovers, what's wrong with this picture? My cat has taken up some very strange habits. She seems very fixated with toilets. Yes, it's embarrassing to admit this, but when a toilet gets flushed around here, she jumps up on the seat, sticks her head down in that thing and stares like the most incredible thing on earth is happening.

And this: I give her copious amounts of fresh water every day. We have well water that's been tested and it's very clean and good tasting (yes, lucky us!). But does she drink this water we give her? No, she drinks out of the toilet or laps up any drops of water left in the bathroom sink (no, she isn't allowed on the kitchen counters or dining room table). What's with that?

And another thing- she has this thing for toilet paper. She'll unwind an entire roll if she gets the notion to.

I'm very worried. I think my cat may be anal retentive or something like that. I'm not sure what to do. Excuse me, I think I need a good stiff drink.

Thanks for listening.

rushing water and toilet paper are nothing to worry about
    and wanting to drink it is just a quirk of hers
    you may be able to toilet train her which is awesome

and
    cheers! to that good stiff drink
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    love it! post pics!

One of my cats stalks the flushing toilet too. I think he's trying to figure out where the water goes. He also likes to chase his tail in the shower after it's just been used. I used to have a cat that would patiently wait for me to get out the shower so she could rub her face on my wet hair. so weird.

not sure if im lucky that i've never had an issue with the tp cuz my cats aren't interested or cuz of the recessed tp holder? :D

My friend's cat jumps up on the bathroom sink when im in there and jedi-mind-tricks me into turning on the faucet at a very low flow for him to drink from.

oh cats.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    I caught my cat attacking the wall yesterday :wtf: :crazy:
    I'm sure there was a tiny little something on the wall you couldn't see DT! :lol:
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    redrock wrote:
    I'm sure there was a tiny little something on the wall you couldn't see DT! :lol:

I think he's just bat-shit crazy like all cats :lol:
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    redrock wrote:

I think he's just bat-shit crazy like all cats :lol:

it was a ghost!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Mine don't do anything with the toilet or toilet paper thank god.

Only time they usually go in the bathroom is to lick the water from the shower drain :?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly