Options

Sad and Light Years vs Even Flow

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited May 2013 in The Porch
I just chose Sad and Light Years because they are two obviously underplayed songs that take about the same amount of time to play as Even Flow, you can insert any two rarities you want like Ghost or Marker In The Sand, you choose, that is not as important, my question is every fifth show or so would you rather have them ditch Even Flow and play a couple songs they don't usually play that often? I am just so burnt out on Even Flow, Pearl Jam radio has ruined that song for me with the constant overplay of it, and every bootleg has Even Flow, I am so stoked when I find boots without it at this point
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    To help appease the casual fans at shows, Even Flow is a must. I get that and respect it. But it wouldn't bother me in the least if I never hear it again at a show. Other staples for shows are a lot stronger in my opinion, I can listen to Corduroy, Do the Evolution, and Why Go all day.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Playing it often is not the worst part. I am sad because they've sped Evenflow up so much that it has lost it's "groove"..it's wonderful tempo that was up-beat and yet still ominous. When I want to hear Evenflow these day's I pull out the 'original' (Alternate) studio recording and listen to it a few times. That makes me smile.

Having said all of that I feel that if I never heard Jeremy again it'd be all right with me.

Finally..I'd pay the guys $20 a piece to play Oceans at a show I attended. It is my 'holy grail' of songs I really want to hear live.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    I just think every time I hear Even Flow well that was a chance we could of heard two different songs instead of this song we hear all the time, give the song a rest once and a while Ed, please..................
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing it again. Guess that says it all. And why do they have to appease the casual fan?

Radiohead doesn't give a fuck. Tool doesn't give a fuck. Like Pearl Jam, they both take about three or four plus years to release an album and the fans still come out to the shows. I say fuck the casual fans.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing it again. Guess that says it all. And why do they have to appease the casual fan?

Radiohead doesn't give a fuck. Tool doesn't give a fuck. Like Pearl Jam, they both take about three or four plus years to release an album and the fans still come out to the shows. I say fuck the casual fans.
    thank you very much so well said :clap: if I never Even Flow again my life will still be great
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    apples vs oranges vs bananas

i really don't think the band plays even flow to placate the fans. that's a song that's probably fun as hell for mike and to a lesser extent, jeff and matt, to play
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    quoting Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam Twenty "I wouldn't want any song to be overplayed, but if they played Blood over and over, I wouldn't mind that as much for some reason" Hey Ed, buddy, we don't want any song to be overplayed either so can you chill on the Even Flow, you can play it, just not so much bro, and whoever is playing songs for Pearl Jam radio, can you guys chill on the Even Flow and Jeremy, I am getting sick of the overplay, do you guys have a quota that you have to play those 2 songs a certain amount of times every day? unreal I got Pearl Jam radio for the rarities, not to get popular songs played all the time
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    My girlfri-iends' first and only show to this point was 9/11/11. She liked it, but is a casual fan and couldn't believe she didn't hear "Even Flow" or YL.

As a big fan, it was the show of a lifetime, but I remember my first show and sang louder than anyone to EF and Jeremy. I can't rob the new fans, casual fans, or anyone else of that experience.

I went through the EF love/hate, and at this point, I'm hitting the washroom during other songs.. Even Flow is a treat again.

it is tough when you get it 9/10 in a row though.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    As soon as I hear the opening chords to Even Flow I'm off to the crapper....whether I have to go or not.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options
    october22 wrote:

Tool plays the same 13 songs at shows for the last 5 years .... maybe 1 or 2 variants but its basically always the same. Plus they play the songs exactly the same.
    Don't get me wrong - I love Tool - 2nd favorite band live.
    I would rather hear Evenflow as part of a completely different set each night.
    I want to hear a standard opener - a few of the classics and yellow ledbetter to close ..... fill in the gaps with surprises.
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Playing it often is not the worst part. I am sad because they've sped Evenflow up so much that it has lost it's "groove"..it's wonderful tempo that was up-beat and yet still ominous. When I want to hear Evenflow these day's I pull out the 'original' (Alternate) studio recording and listen to it a few times.
    I feel exactly the same about this wonderful song. This speed has totally ruined it!
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974
    I just chose Sad and Light Years because they are two obviously underplayed songs that take about the same amount of time to play as Even Flow, you can insert any two rarities you want like Ghost or Marker In The Sand, you choose, that is not as important, my question is every fifth show or so would you rather have them ditch Even Flow and play a couple songs they don't usually play that often? I am just so burnt out on Even Flow, Pearl Jam radio has ruined that song for me with the constant overplay of it, and every bootleg has Even Flow, I am so stoked when I find boots without it at this point

I am SO sick of Evenflow. I could care less about the casual fan.

Also sick of Alive, Daughter, Smalltown. For some reason though, I never got sick of Jeremy. Plus, I can still enjoy Smalltown at a show, but PJ radio wise I flip to Stern when it comes on
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Still love Even Flow and watching Matt and Mike jamming the fuck out of it live but when they play a two night stand in the same venue I don't think it needs to played each night. It would be much better in those situations to have two completely different sets each night with no repeats given the sheer number of songs they have now.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i love marker in the sand
  • Options
    barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    I've seen and heard enough EF. The last 3 shows I went to, as soon as I heard the first chord, I was off the the bathroom and the beer line. You can still hear Mike shredding it up from the beer line. I would totally be in favor of a couple of rarities in place of EF.

Cheers and be well,
    BS
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I couldn't care less if they never played Evenflow again, but I disagree with the premise that other hugely successful bands don't cater to the casual fan. Tool and Radiohead, since those were the examples given, always have a few of their most successful tunes in the set. I think they're generally in pretty favorable spots in the setlist, as well.
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    Radiohead, while they don't play Creep, have VERY little variation in their setlists on a given tour

I do like that they are confident in their newer material and rely heavily on it.

Sometimes i wouldn't mind if my favorite band took some lessons from #2.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    It would be strange without even flow in the set, I've seen the band 3 times, so it's great when they play it. From 2000 to 2013 the song has evolved to become something fresh and different particularly in mikes guitar solo and stones improvisation. When played it's greeted well and lifts everyone for the journey ahead.
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    At my first PJ concert, Eddie moved to the back of the stage during Mike's solo. The rest of the band had the stage for an extended jam, and when Eddie returned to the front he turned around and raised his hands in a gesture of thanks to everyone else. Classic first-concert moment for me...and every show since that I've attended I have thought about that moment while Even Flow is being played.

If there were no rarities being played, I might feel differently about Even Flow being in the setlist. Having seen Blood, I'm Open, Porch, Release, Garden, In The Moonlight, Oceans, Soon Forget, Wash, Alone, Help Help, Satan's Bed, Rats, Pilate and No Way live, it proves they do a great job of blending in rarities while still playing one of my favorite all-time songs. Even Flow is anything but a piss-break song...hell, it's on my license plate!
  • Options
    Black73 wrote:
    At my first PJ concert, Eddie moved to the back of the stage during Mike's solo. The rest of the band had the stage for an extended jam, and when Eddie returned to the front he turned around and raised his hands in a gesture of thanks to everyone else. Classic first-concert moment for me...and every show since that I've attended I have thought about that moment while Even Flow is being played.

If there were no rarities being played, I might feel differently about Even Flow being in the setlist. Having seen Blood, I'm Open, Porch, Release, Garden, In The Moonlight, Oceans, Soon Forget, Wash, Alone, Help Help, Satan's Bed, Rats, Pilate and No Way live, it proves they do a great job of blending in rarities while still playing one of my favorite all-time songs. Even Flow is anything but a piss-break song...hell, it's on my license plate!
    its on my knuckles haha
    i am glad i am not the only one who enjoys hearing the classics. Someday when its all over no one will be saying "man i wish i could just hear light years one more time" they will be missing the shredding and all time greatness that we all take for granted
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Black73 wrote:

its on my knuckles haha
    i am glad i am not the only one who enjoys hearing the classics. Someday when its all over no one will be saying "man i wish i could just hear light years one more time" they will be missing the shredding and all time greatness that we all take for granted
    Although I understand the piss-break/"Even Flow" connection, I enjoy the elbow room around me when the first few notes break out. I wish there were more songs my concert-going neighbors were sick of hearing!
  • Options
    the problem is they don't play this version of Even Flow if they did I would not be sick of it
    as always watch full screen to fully appreciate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y&list=PLK6GLx6mijaV9UFffHWR5j8qrGx1tg017
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I'd much rather see the ridiculously extended sing along version of betterman swapped out before even flow.

Or Not For You and Just Breathe
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Even flow is one of the songs that made me love pearl jam.

The intensity of the live video when I was young.. It drew me in. Let me know these guys were real.

Now, after 29 shows and 1000s of bootlegs, wether cd or DVD, I can understand why some may be tired of it.

But for me, I'd rather hear even flow over the fixer, amongst the waves... Do the evolution for time 27... There are definitely songs more played out, to me anyway.

Now, with that being said I do understand why they play it so much.

When I was in Missoula, I kept hearing a drunk guy behind me say, I can't believe they haven't played even flow. That song rocks! Later he was shouting FLOW!! And he kept telling his buddies " I can't believe they haven't played even flow, that song ROCKS!"

Obviously he was a causal fan and out of everything he just wanted to hear even flow, scream yeah! With the crowd.. hear that awesome solo...

But he was in the right... The super fans aren't the only fans. Pearl jam is famous for even flow, alive, black and Jeremy... To leave out those songs would be like a big F U to the fans that bought those early albums and still pay money to come hear them. Does that mean they should play hits all night? No.. But it shows why they play those songs at shows.

Imagine your at a show and the entire setlist is hits. You don't care for it right? Imagine how a casual fan would feel if they came out and played zero hits. They would leave saying pearl jam sucks. Their live show sucks. An that's not true. So I totally get it.

For my last example, I saw a friend I hadn't seen in a while... He knows I'm a freak for pj and we were watching a DVD. I put on Eddie and Ben Harper doing under pressure by David Bowie. Everyone knows under pressure. I thought it was a great performance and something really cool. I look over and he doesn't look too interested. I fast forward to even flow, band on fire, crowd bouncing, look over and he's like, THIS is pearl jam...

So to me, I'm tired of EF. To most people it's what they actually like about pearl jam...

So remember this next time your at a show... Try and look for the people going crazy... It's fun!
  • Options
    I'd much rather see the ridiculously extended sing along version of betterman swapped out before even flow.

Or Not For You and Just Breathe

Have to disagree.. The sing alongs make the shows great. It's the memories it creates between the band and fan.

Songs I wish would slow down in rotation..

Do the evolution - played more than even flow lately
    Small town
    Amongst the waves
    Just breathe
    Fixer

Songs I wish got more play that are not rare songs but underplayed...

Present Tense
    In My Tree
    In Hiding
    Inside job
    Immortality
    Red mosquito

All of those songs jam and are what define pearl jam for me..
  • Options
    I brought back the Top 25 thread, and although not scientific, Even Flow has a hard time cracking the Top 50 in everyone's voting, and that thread has a ton of responses, so I don't see how a song that most people in here don't include in their top 25 Pearl songs, why the band is determined to play it more than any other song in their catalog, they have so many better songs that Even Flow

:fp:
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I brought back the Top 25 thread, and although not scientific, Even Flow has a hard time cracking the Top 50 in everyone's voting, and that thread has a ton of responses, so I don't see how a song that most people in here don't include in their top 25 Pearl songs, why the band is determined to play it more than any other song in their catalog, they have so many better songs that Even Flow

It still has a lot of love on these boards despite a high number of people who say they would be happy to never hear it again. I should point out that even being pro Even Flow that I do think some of the more recent versions haven't been as good. I don't mind it being a bit faster or heavier but it loses it's appeal when it actually feels rushed. Also I hate when Ed gets the crowd to sing the chorus after Mike's solo because it's simply too loud a song for a sing along. I think there's only a few boots where you can actually hear it properly.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=134650&hilit=appreciation
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=100827&hilit=even+flow+psychos
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    mrluthor9 wrote:
    As soon as I hear the opening chords to Even Flow I'm off to the crapper....whether I have to go or not.

LoL....That made me laugh my ass of!!
    Gorge
  • Options

As i said in the post above yours, i tried to explain just that. They do it for the casual fans who don't know many songs.

You know a show looks when it's all hits? If its all rare songs, the casual pearl jam fan, who far out number us, and only know even flow, alive, black, daughter etc, and they pay their hard earned money as well to attend these shows, they would leave feeling disappointed in the show because they didn't hear any songs they liked.

They have to appeal to both sides. Alot of shows, lately have been festivals and your going to get alot of bigger songs at those. Once the tour starts, If its a real tour, it will have rare songs played. Just like in 2009 and 2010, their last proper tours, they did do that.

Alot of people were begging pearl jam on the forums to play ghost. They did in Missoula, a place where it as alot of ten club members, and the crowd was DEAD. They weren't dead for Betterman, given to fly etc.

So just because rare songs make looking at setlists more appealing, it doesn't always translate well at the actual show.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Playing it often is not the worst part. I am sad because they've sped Evenflow up so much that it has lost it's "groove"..it's wonderful tempo that was up-beat and yet still ominous. When I want to hear Evenflow these day's I pull out the 'original' (Alternate) studio recording and listen to it a few times. That makes me smile.

Having said all of that I feel that if I never heard Jeremy again it'd be all right with me.

Finally..I'd pay the guys $20 a piece to play Oceans at a show I attended. It is my 'holy grail' of songs I really want to hear live.

Almost every song from 10, vs, vitalogy, and no code are played to fast now a days.