Options

McDonald’s Closes All Their Restaurants in Bolivia

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited May 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com ... via/12787/
Bolivia became the first McDonald’s-free Latin American nation, after struggling for more than a decade to keep their numbers out of ‘the red.’ And that fact is still making news.

After 14 years in the nation and despite many campaigns and promos McDonald’s was forced to close in 2002, its 8 Bolivian restaurants in the major cities of La Paz, Cochabamba and Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
McDonald’s served its last hamburgers in Bolivia on a Saturday at midnight, after announcing a global restructuring plan in which it would close its doors in seven other countries with poor profit margins.
The failure of McDonald’s in Bolivia had such a deep impact that a documentary titled “Por que quebro McDonald’s en Bolivia” or “Why did McDonald’s Bolivia go Bankrupt,” trying to explain why did Bolivians never crossed-over from their empanadas to Big Macs.

The documentary includes interviews with cooks, sociologists, nutritionists and educators who all seem to agree, Bolivians are not against hamburgers per sé, just against ‘fast food,’ a concept widely unaccepted in the Bolivian community.

The story has also attracted world wide attention toward fast foods in Latin America. El Polvorin blog noted: “Fast-food represents the complete opposite of what Bolivians consider a meal should be. To be a good meal, food has to have be prepared with love, dedication, certain hygiene standards and proper cook time.”

It's nice to see that there's a country out there that doesn't worship fast food!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    :clap:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited May 2013
    Jeanwah wrote:
    http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/latino-daily-news/details/mcdonalds-closes-all-their-restaurants-in-bolivia/12787/
    Bolivia became the first McDonald’s-free Latin American nation, after struggling for more than a decade to keep their numbers out of ‘the red.’ And that fact is still making news.

After 14 years in the nation and despite many campaigns and promos McDonald’s was forced to close in 2002, its 8 Bolivian restaurants in the major cities of La Paz, Cochabamba and Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
    McDonald’s served its last hamburgers in Bolivia on a Saturday at midnight, after announcing a global restructuring plan in which it would close its doors in seven other countries with poor profit margins.
    The failure of McDonald’s in Bolivia had such a deep impact that a documentary titled “Por que quebro McDonald’s en Bolivia” or “Why did McDonald’s Bolivia go Bankrupt,” trying to explain why did Bolivians never crossed-over from their empanadas to Big Macs.

The documentary includes interviews with cooks, sociologists, nutritionists and educators who all seem to agree, Bolivians are not against hamburgers per sé, just against ‘fast food,’ a concept widely unaccepted in the Bolivian community.

The story has also attracted world wide attention toward fast foods in Latin America. El Polvorin blog noted: “Fast-food represents the complete opposite of what Bolivians consider a meal should be. To be a good meal, food has to have be prepared with love, dedication, certain hygiene standards and proper cook time.”

It's nice to see that there's a country out there that doesn't worship fast food!

i became friends with a lady in college who took her food very seriously. every square millimeter of her food was prayed over or however you say it. she would not eat fast food for all the money in the world. and like the above states, food must be prepared w/ love & kindness as many believe the food absorbs those feelings as does the plants & animals before they even enter our markets then kitchens. i like the concept
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,216
    chadwick wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/latino-daily-news/details/mcdonalds-closes-all-their-restaurants-in-bolivia/12787/

i became with a lady in college who took her food very seriously. every square millimeter of her food was prayed over or however you say it. she would not eat fast food for all the money in the world. and like the above states, food must be prepared w/ love & kindness as many believe the food absorbs those feelings as does the plants & animals before they even enter our markets then kitchens. i like the concept

that's cool. I got stuck at McDonalds last week during a torrential downpour. I hadnt eaten it and years, and after the shit they fed me, I think i'll never eat it again. There really is no love going into that food, whatsoever.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    I haven't eaten at a McDonalds or any other big name multi-national fat food in more than 12 years

its all just garbage
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    I like the breakfast menu and the fries. I also enjaoy a large $.99 fountain Coke once and awhile.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Their coffee is great as well. I don't get into that frappe, latte crap or whatever but I think they have some of the best black coffee.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    CH156378 wrote:
    Their coffee is great as well. I don't get into that frappe, latte crap or whatever but I think they have some of the best black coffee.

That's because it's Newman's Own. The only good thing that they've got that most likely wouldn't make me sick to my stomach.

And their fries don't break down. Ever. A fry could sit in the back seat of your car for 15 years and still look the same. Because it most likely isn't a potato.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Jeanwah wrote:
    CH156378 wrote:

That's because it's Newman's Own. The only good thing that they've got that most likely wouldn't make me sick to my stomach.

And their fries don't break down. Ever. A fry could sit in the back seat of your car for 15 years and still look the same. Because it most likely isn't a potato.

Newman's at McDonalds? :fp:

But this did get me to thinking- am I being too skeptical? Isn't it possible for a big corporation like McDonald's to become more responsible, maybe even more toward sustainability? So I did a little research and this is what I found:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/foo ... offee.html

Gaviña prides itself on maintaining a green coffee department that's dedicated to sustainability.

By golly, they are trying to become sustainable!

And this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/e ... -1.1247628

McDonald's fish to carry 'sustainable' labeling

Holy Mackerel!

But wait a minute...

http://grist.org/news/mcdonalds-new-sus ... stainable/

McDonald’s new sustainable fish is — surprise! — not so sustainable

Not all conservation groups can agree on what’s a sustainable fish and what’s not, and often what’s sustainable today is overfished tomorrow, especially when a company with an appetite as big as McDonald’s is involved.

Alaska pollock is not considered a “best choice” on the respected Seafood Watch list put out by the Monterey Bay Aquarium; rather, it’s lumped into the middle “good alternative” category. From Seafood Watch:

Alaska Pollock populations are moderately healthy, but their numbers have been declining. Alaska Pollock are now at their lowest levels in over 20 years.

Even presuming Alaska pollock is a “good alternative,” there’s still the matter of, you know, everything else McDonald’s does, from serving antibiotic-laden meats to leading the fast-food industrial complex.

Hmmm...

I won't congest the forum any further here with more links, but looking at this a little closer, I'm a long way from convinced that McDonald's is really so "green" after all or that being environmentally responsible is their number one priority. Saying so sounds good. It also sells more product. What do you suppose is the true bottom line here?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sonofa...!

I searched for Carlin's bit on La Paz, Bolivia (Carlin on Campus) and came upon him talking about cats.

"if you've got a leg and a cat, you've got a party"
    "oh shit, two legs, I can do the figure eight"

Anyway, I'm a sucker for Egg McMuffins but if they were gone?

I'd figure out my own way to make em :P

Seriously, good on Bolivia.

The people have spoken and should be heard.