Mitt Romney's Advice for Recent Female Grads:

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited May 2013 in A Moving Train
"Have a Quiver Full of Kids"

Don't expect wealth and power, Romney warned the women of the Southern Virginia University's graduating class. Just get married and make lots of babies!

http://www.alternet.org/mitt-romneys-ad ... -full-kids

May 3, 2013 |
This week, Mitt Romney delivered an interesting commencement speech to the (very Mormon populated) Southern Virginia University's graduating class. Sharing his secrets for "abundant living," Romney urged the new grads to go out, get married, and procreate like crazy.

'Get married,' he said, and “Have a quiver full of kids if you can.”

Also, hurry. Staying single until your thirties could be a big mistake. A quiver full of kids aren't born over night.

“Some people could marry but choose to take more time, they say, for themselves. Others plan to wait until they’re well into their 30s or 40s until they think about getting married,” he said, “They’re going to miss so much of living, I’m afraid.”

Girls, forget about establishing a career before you get married or have children. Why spend your body's prime child-bearing years working, when you could be breast-feeding on a much smaller salary?

As Romney reminds the class of Southern Virginia University, wealth is not guaranteed. Not everybod knows how to cut corners, exploit workers, and watch the profits rise. Even fewer are born into the power necessary to accumulate wealth in America. Anybody biologically capable, however, can make a quiver full of babies.

“I don’t think God cares whether you get rich,” he warned the crowd. “I don’t think he hopes that your business will make a huge profit. I know a lot of religious people who think God will intervene to make their investments grow. Or he’ll get them a promotion. To make their business a success. But life on this earth is about learning to live in a place where God does not make everything work out for good people.”

BUT. If you find a mate and procreate, you're all good! “Every one of you here today as a graduate can live an abundant life,” he told the students. “Every single one of you. You will not all be rich and famous and powerful, but each of you can live an eminently successful, rewarding, abundant life.”

Romney, on the other hand, will remain rich and famous and powerful. But not everybody can do that. So just shut up and get pregnant, already.

Friggin hilarious but so emphatically sad that anyone would hire this man to speak at a commencement. :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I wish i could have a kid and be a stay home father, we could watch cartoons all day and take naps.
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Ugh, this quiver full movement has been around for a while especially in the Baptist denomination. I have no problem with having kids (I actually have a couple myself) and i have no problem with stay at home moms (would actually love to be one myself) but I think this is part of a larger movement that we have discussed on here about the hatred of women. But what do I know, I'm just the little woman waiting for my man to tell me what to think bout all this :P
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    riotgrl wrote:
    Ugh, this quiver full movement has been around for a while especially in the Baptist denomination. I have no problem with having kids (I actually have a couple myself) and i have no problem with stay at home moms (would actually love to be one myself) but I think this is part of a larger movement that we have discussed on here about the hatred of women. But what do I know, I'm just the little woman waiting for my man to tell me what to think bout all this :P

The thing is, it's a college commencement. How is it motivational after finishing 4 or more years of college with years of paying for it down the road, to tell women to stay home and have a "quiver of kids"? And republicans say they have nothing against women and their reproductive parts (as long as they have a quiver of children!)
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i will just hang on to my binders full of women.

:fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Damn that's some shitty advise and to think some people thought he would of been a great choice for president ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Jeanwah wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

The thing is, it's a college commencement. How is it motivational after finishing 4 or more years of college with years of paying for it down the road, to tell women to stay home and have a "quiver of kids"? And republicans say they have nothing against women and their reproductive parts (as long as they have a quiver of children!)

Well, they probably just went to college to snag a man - mission accomplished, hopefully :fp:

I AM MINE
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I'm picturing Mitt up there yelling, "C'mon girls, pump out those units!" , shaking red white and blue pom poms and doing a little cheer leading dance. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    riotgrl wrote:

His speech is at a liberal arts college for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It has nothing to do with hating women....can you not see how much he admires his wife? His speech is about living life to the fullest. Did you listen to it? Since you have children you would have to agree that being a mother is the most important thing in your life ....he is also saying if you don't get rich its okay...life has more to offer then money....he said to be selfless and help others....why did everyone skip everything else he said? How can anyone see getting married and having children as bad?....Great Speech.
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
    aerial wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

His speech is at a liberal arts college for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It has nothing to do with hating women....can you not see how much he admires his wife? His speech is about living life to the fullest. Did you listen to it? Since you have children you would have to agree that being a mother is the most important thing in your life ....he is also saying if you don't get rich its okay...life has more to offer then money....he said to be selfless and help others....why did everyone skip everything else he said? How can anyone see getting married and having children as bad?....Great Speech.

Did I ever say being married and having children was bad? No, I did not. What I did say, maybe not very eloquently, was that you are speaking at a college commencement and your speech should pertain to hard work and sacrifice of those college years and how you will be rewarded afterwards. Why did he primarily focus on marriage and children? Is that the only acceptable path after graduation? He made it seem like the only acceptable avenues are marriage and children and beware those who choose to wait. He was giving a warning - were you listening to the entire speech or did you just choose to gloss over that part?

I AM MINE
    riotgrl wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

Well, they probably just went to college to snag a man - mission accomplished, hopefully :fp:

UGH. You could be right about that for some wealthy woman, who doesn't have to worry about paying off college for the next 10 years...
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I wish i could have a kid and be a stay home father, we could watch cartoons all day and take naps.
    this is living!

Romney's message very much in line with his own life story as well as with his Mormon faith,
    so no surprise. And the audience was very populated with Mormons.
    If you google the news story you get opinions from non supporters
    mixed in with what he said.

For me being a more traditional person, it's great advice. We learn so much as parents
    and love is why we are here, in my opinion. Nothing compares to being a Mom
    but of course that is not for all women.

I like this part of his speech especially his last line ...
    “I don’t think God cares whether you get rich,” he warned the crowd. “I don’t think he hopes that your business will make a huge profit. I know a lot of religious people who think God will intervene to make their investments grow. Or he’ll get them a promotion. To make their business a success. But life on this earth is about learning to live in a place where God does not make everything work out for good people.”

Good to hear him again and being supported by those who understand and agree with him.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    aerial wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

:thumbup: exactly! so much good not missed by me :D
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    im either going to vomit or shit in my pants
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    that aint no shit. :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    aerial wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

3f902b87-eb03-42d6-a1f5-b545347f19fb_zps2da06189.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    im either going to vomit or shit in my pants

I know that I would prefer you to vomit over the latter option...
    aerial wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

3f902b87-eb03-42d6-a1f5-b545347f19fb_zps2da06189.jpg[/quote

:roll:
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    from the schools website
    http://svu.edu/news/archives/2013/mitt- ... mmencement

Southern Virginia University’s 145th commencement exercises were its largest ever as more than 1,800 people gathered on Saturday to commemorate the academic achievements of 125 graduating seniors.

With clear skies above, the audience congregated in front of the university’s historic Main Hall to take part in the academic ceremony, highlighted by an address from Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts and two-time presidential candidate.
    In only his second public speech since the 2012 election in which he received nearly 61 million votes for president, Romney addressed graduates, faculty, staff, students and friends of Southern Virginia—the only liberal arts college for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. An active member of the LDS Church himself, Romney told graduates that they could each “live an eminently successful, abundant life.”

Referencing the biblical story of Jesus directing Peter and other fishermen to return to their boats after failing to catch fish, Romney quoted the Savior’s words from Luke, “Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets.”

“In some ways, these words are a metaphor for life,” explained Romney. “Launch out into the deep. Don’t live your life in the shallows, live it in deep waters ... Reach beyond the shallowness of selfishness, of complacency, of mindless conformity, and of indulgence. This is the promise: launch out into the deep, and your nets will be filled.”

Romney encouraged graduates to launch their lives into the deep by marrying, starting families, finding God, pursuing careers and serving others. He also thanked those from Southern Virginia who contributed to his recent presidential bid.

"Quite literally, hundreds from this campus gave up vacation time to help a candidate’s presidential campaign, for which I owe you deeply.” Romney said. “Thank you so very much.”

Prior to his remarks, Southern Virginia University President Paul K. Sybrowsky and Provost Madison U. Sowell presented Romney with an honorary doctorate in humane letters citing his numerous family, church, academic, business and public service achievements. The crowd showed its approval with a prolonged standing ovation.

In only his second public speech since the 2012 election in which he received nearly 61 million votes for president, Romney addressed graduates, faculty, staff, students and friends of Southern Virginia—the only liberal arts college for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. An active member of the LDS Church himself, Romney told graduates that they could each “live an eminently successful, abundant life.”

Referencing the biblical story of Jesus directing Peter and other fishermen to return to their boats after failing to catch fish, Romney quoted the Savior’s words from Luke, “Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets.”

“In some ways, these words are a metaphor for life,” explained Romney. “Launch out into the deep. Don’t live your life in the shallows, live it in deep waters ... Reach beyond the shallowness of selfishness, of complacency, of mindless conformity, and of indulgence. This is the promise: launch out into the deep, and your nets will be filled.”

Romney encouraged graduates to launch their lives into the deep by marrying, starting families, finding God, pursuing careers and serving others. He also thanked those from Southern Virginia who contributed to his recent presidential bid.

"Quite literally, hundreds from this campus gave up vacation time to help a candidate’s presidential campaign, for which I owe you deeply.” Romney said. “Thank you so very much.”

Prior to his remarks, Southern Virginia University President Paul K. Sybrowsky and Provost Madison U. Sowell presented Romney with an honorary doctorate in humane letters citing his numerous family, church, academic, business and public service achievements. The crowd showed its approval with a prolonged standing ovation.

“Each of our graduates today can look to Mitt and to Ann as epitomizing the fundamental principle taught on our campus through the motto of our university: learn that life is service,” said Provost Sowell.

The two graduating seniors with the highest academic standing—valedictorian Alena Chunn and salutatorian Hannah Benson Rodriguez—also addressed the assembly.

The graduates’ speeches began with Rodriguez, daughter of Associate Professor of Family and Child Development Ariel Rodriguez. A theatre major with plans to pursue a master’s degree in library science, Rodriguez centered her remarks on gratitude for faculty members and fellow students praising both the excellence of her Southern Virginia education and the personal growth it promoted.
    "My professors have given me a tremendous example of the kind of person I want to be and instilled in me the desire to become a lifelong learner," said Rodriguez. "I have felt free to explore, take risks, build my confidence, and consequently, my ability to connect with others in the world around me has grown."

Chunn, who majored in liberal arts and will attend a master of business administration program at Utah State University this fall, urged her classmates to make themselves known as graduates of Southern Virginia by carrying the university's name with them into the wo“Southern Virginia University has prepared us well these past four years, offering us much wisdom to treasure from this priceless liberal arts education." Chunn said. "I want to encourage all of us in the graduating class to show our gratitude for Southern Virginia University by going forward boldly and developing our lives fully.”

Many state and local government leaders also attended Saturday’s commencement exercises, including Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va.

While I can appreciate him thanking supporters in his failure, was that really the apporiate forum to do so?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Everyone fails, point is don't stop trying or make sure you keep living...don't let it make you feel less than anyone else.....
    aerial wrote:
    Everyone fails, point is don't stop trying or make sure you keep living...don't let it make you feel less than anyone else.....

What is "it", Aerial?

I'm always curious about the Big IT making people feel something. I worked with an instructor who would answer a statement like, "It makes me so mad," with, "'It' must be pretty scary and ugly," or if you said to her, "You make me nervous," she would say, "Can I make you give me a thousand dollars?" Her point was to illustrate how overly big we tend to make "it".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Wait. So since I'm never having kids I'm not going to be actually living? Someone please explain this to me.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Wait. So since I'm never having kids I'm not going to be actually living? Someone please explain this to me.

You'll never have the opportunity to influence and brainwash impressionable sponges, you've limited your self to only bullshitting adults.

Now aren't you Sad? :lol:
    brianlux wrote:
    aerial wrote:

What is "it", Aerial?

I'm always curious about the Big IT making people feel something. I worked with an instructor who would answer a statement like, "It makes me so mad," with, "'It' must be pretty scary and ugly," or if you said to her, "You make me nervous," she would say, "Can I make you give me a thousand dollars?" Her point was to illustrate how overly big we tend to make "it".

Sorry you can not understand what I was trying to convey. Let me break it down for you. Don't let Failure (it) make you feel a lesser person than other persons.
    Mamasan23 wrote:

If you read the speech you will see that was never said.
    Mamasan23 wrote:

You'll never have the opportunity to influence and brainwash impressionable sponges, you've limited your self to only bullshitting adults.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    aerial wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

If you read the speech you will see that was never said.
    Yes actually he said if they wait til their 30s they're going to miss so much living. Which leads to if I never have kids I'm going to miss all living. Not everyone is meant to be a parent.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Haha that's what my nephew is for!
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Yes actually he said if they wait til their 30s they're going to miss so much living. Which leads to if I never have kids I'm going to miss all living. Not everyone is meant to be a parent.
    mamasan, you're a good person, don't sweat it. in all realms of reality I trust you 400 billion times more than mitt romney & so does many millions of other people who don't even know the name, mamasan23

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Haha that's what my nephew is for!

Mine Too! problem solved, easy squeazy lemon breezy!

Not ment too be a parent, i'm not ment to be an adult. I don't know whose idea this was but it wasn't mine.
    aerial wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    aerial wrote:

What is "it", Aerial?

Sorry you can not understand what I was trying to convey. Let me break it down for you. Don't let Failure (it) make you feel a lesser person than other persons.

No worries there. I don't fail.