TribeintoBreathTribeintoBreath Posts: 880
edited May 2013 in The Porch
Run for it, Marty.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Eh, Bonham.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    SMH! two totally different drummers, Matt Cameron is more versatile and John Bonham is more freestyle because Pearl Jam never really lets Matt show what he can do on a nightly basis, so that makes it unfair, why compare? it's like comparing Italian food and Mexican food, their both great
  • TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    SMH! two totally different drummers, Matt Cameron is more versatile and John Bonham is more freestyle because Pearl Jam never really lets Matt show what he can do on a nightly basis, so that makes it unfair, why compare? it's like comparing Italian food and Mexican food, their both great

From a drummers pov I couldn't agree more. Well said.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/

ok, fine. that's fair.
    back in the day when Pearl Jam use to let Matt have some solos it was a fairer comparison, it is one change I totally disagree with from a fan perspective
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y&list=PL9A00F7314885A11C&index=7
    Well, yeah, that's what I thought we were talking about; drum solos. I've seen and heard Matt solo many times and I don't think there is any comparison that Bonham is far and away more interesting. I'm not a drummer but I think of the drums like any other instrument in so far as I often prefer style over strict technical ability. Matt is obviously an amazing drummer but I just find what other players do to be more interesting sometimes. That's just my opinion.
    october22 wrote:
    Well, yeah, that's what I thought we were talking about; drum solos. I've seen and heard Matt solo many times and I don't think there is any comparison that Bonham is far and away more interesting. I'm not a drummer but I think of the drums like any other instrument in so far as I often prefer style over strict technical ability. Matt is obviously an amazing drummer but I just find what other players do to be more interesting sometimes. That's just my opinion.
    but I think clearly the band has made a decision they don't want the drummer being a focal part of the band after the whole Dave Abruzzese deal, where he would constantly drum over Eddie's vocals, Pearl Jam wants the drummer to be complimentary,the benefit is that we do get to hear Eddie's vocals much more clearly, but we as fans get deprived of drum solos
    october22 wrote:
    but I think clearly the band has made a decision they don't want the drummer being a focal part of the band after the whole Dave Abruzzese deal, where he would constantly drum over Eddie's vocals, Pearl Jam wants the drummer to be complimentary,the benefit is that we do get to hear Eddie's vocals much more clearly, but we as fans get deprived of drum solos

Interesting. I know you have a ton of links to video. Do you have an example of Dave doing this? I'm not insinuating that he didn't, I'd just like to see an example of what you mean because I've always really liked Dave's drumming and never noticed that. Maybe his cymbals were an issue sometimes in that regard.
    october22 wrote:
    october22 wrote:

Interesting. I know you have a ton of links to video. Do you have an example of Dave doing this? I'm not insinuating that he didn't, I'd just like to see an example of what you mean because I've always really liked Dave's drumming and never noticed that. Maybe his cymbals were an issue sometimes in that regard.
    exactly the cymbals if they were solos would be great, however many times he would smash those cymbals when Eddie would be singing and, and ultimately the tension over that was what led to Dave's ouster, Eddie had to be focal point, and Dave wanted to be a rockstar, whether it was a conscious effort on Dave's part or not it came across like he wanted to be Tommy Lee and that was never going to work, that is my take anyway, because Eddie seemed far less agitated once Dave was out of the picture, and Jack Irons is the ultimate complimentary player, giving Eddie the chance to be the focal point
    DA's drumming seems to conflict with Eddie's vocals far more than any other drummer they have had
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG2smqWQz6M
  • Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    Bonham, the greatest, but Matt, based on his Soundgarden is up there with the best of them. It's a real pity he has been shackled in his PJ days...otherwise, who knows.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Bonzo is the most influential, has some of the best feel, more originality, and a level of technical expertise, often overlooked mind you, that I've only heard in a few drummers. Cameron more versatile? Get the hell outta here....Any single Zep album has more range than I've ever heard from MC.

Not trying to discount Cameron's abilities, but he just doesn't stack up well with Bonham. There just aren't that many that can.
  • iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    october22 wrote:

This. Matt is playing a role that the band has agreed that is what they want the drum parts to be and sound like. It's a very different role/sounds that what other drummers in other bands do and sound like...like Carter Beauford in DMB is much more out front and 'active'. Could Matt play like Carter? Probably, but that is not what the music calls for, nor what the band wants...Just saying 8-)
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • :nono: :nono: :nono:
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • LostUponMyWayLostUponMyWay Posts: 184
    Bonham was the best and I think Matt would agree.
    Toronto 06-28-2003
    09-19-2005
    05-09-2006
    09-11-2011
    London 07-16-2013
    Ottawa 05-08-2016
    record.gif
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Peart
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    BinFrog wrote:
    Peart

this
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    edited May 2013
    I think Bonham was better, Matt is way better now.

As far as Dave getting canned for his drumming, IMO it had almost nothing to do with his drumming. Dave could frame the vocals just like any other PJ drummer has. VS also has some of the best drum sounds recorded on a PJ record.

Dave could not get along with Jeff and Ed so he was gone. Thankfully Jack came into the band and taught the guys communication skills...
    Post edited by AzWicker on
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • shepshep Houston Posts: 5,644
    BinFrog wrote:
    Peart

+1...

followed very, very closely by Carey.

While Bonzo and Cameron are both great, neither would be in my top 5.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    BinFrog wrote:
    Peart

Yes, yes and yes.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Great drummers.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    Really? Danny Carey? He is a good drummer, but is nowhere near Bonham. As said before, he had such a unique style and great technical expertise. I am not taking away from Matt at all, but Bonham was better, IMO.

If we are talking about amazing drummers, then we should talk about Stewart Copeland and Carter Beauford.
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
    edited May 2013
    cmm6734 wrote:
    Really? Danny Carey? He is a good drummer, but is nowhere near Bonham. As said before, he had such a unique style and great technical expertise. I am not taking away from Matt at all, but Bonham was better, IMO.

If we are talking about amazing drummers, then we should talk about Stewart Copeland and Carter Beauford.
    no way Bonham could play as many different songs as Matt has to, Bonham they gave him much more free reign, Matt doesn't get to show off what he can really do anymore, in my opinion they hold him back in the sense he rarely if ever gets to do solos, that is why Even Flow is just a mediocre song now compared to 2006 when Matt use to get to do his drum solo on it, but not fair to compare because Matt is capable of so much more than he is allowed to do in Pearl Jam, other than showing his versatility
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y&list=PL9A00F7314885A11C&index=11
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    BONZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    no way Bonham could play as many different songs as Matt has to, Bonham they gave him much more free reign, Matt doesn't get to show off what he can really do anymore, in my opinion they hold him back in the sense he rarely if ever gets to do solos, that is why Even Flow is just a mediocre song now compared to 2006 when Matt use to get to do his drum solo on it, but not fair to compare because Matt is capable of so much more than he is allowed to do in Pearl Jam, other than showing his versatility
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y&list=PL9A00F7314885A11C&index=11

I agree he doesn't get to show what makes him unique as a drummer in PJ, but I was including Soundgarden and all of his other work that I've heard in my assessment of MC.

The drum solos in Evenflow kinda sucked and were just horribly out of place. I don't put that much stock into solos

I don't really hear any range at all in his work with PJ and taking into account the different style that SG plays, I don't hear a huge range there. He does come off alot better in SG though and shows he's a great drummer

Bonham did alot of drumming on some basic rock songs, but consistently made it sound more interesting than Cameron. As for more nuanced stuff, I think he could just make it come off more natural. His feel and groove is just infinitely better than Cameron's.
    cmm6734 wrote:

Oh yeah he is. The guy has it all, and plenty of it. Feel, dexterity, speed, dynamics...That guy leaves most rock drummers in the dust.

I love drummers, that if you strip away the music and just leave the drums, you could still name the song. Guys like Bonzo, Carey and Peart are the epitome of that.
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    cmm6734 wrote:

...and Buddy Rich.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    What about Cameron vs Cameron
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    cmm6734 wrote:

...and Buddy Rich.
    The greatest drummer of all time.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Newch91 wrote:
    cmm6734 wrote:

...and Buddy Rich.
    The greatest drummer of all time.

Gene Krupa? I think it's a push.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    cmm6734 wrote:
    I'd go ahead and say Carter Beauford is the best modern day drummer. Say what you want about DMB, this man can PLAY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Pb6PF8LXA

As for Matt or Bonzo, Bonzo.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2