Racist Pepsi as pulled.

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited May 2013 in A Moving Train
PepsiCo is once again learning the risks of celebrity partnerships after an ad for Mountain Dew was criticized for portraying racial stereotypes and making light of violence toward women.

The soda and snack food company said it immediately pulled the 60-second spot after learning that people found it was offensive. The ad was part of a series developed by African-American rapper Tyler, The Creator, and depicted a battered white woman on crutches being urged to identify a suspect out of a lineup of black men.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... z2S8aHXMR1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Saw this yesterday.

More violence toward women. I'm only glad that Pepsico pulled it before it aired, as well as youtube.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Saw this yesterday.

More violence toward women. I'm only glad that Pepsico pulled it before it aired, as well as youtube.

agreed !

Godfather.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    seriously.. what the fuck! is wrong with people???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

That's Gansta Rap, for you. My nephew listens to this shit.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanwah wrote:

gangsta rap is horseshit.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    :clap: Proud to say I've worked towards change like this, mentioned in the article :D

We must put our actions where our mouths are everyone, we can do this!
    find the petitions online, find the companies promoting and supporting this crap,
    with these spokesmen, write to them, boycott them, march against them, bring awareness.
    Nothing comes from just talking on a forum we want real change in our communities,
    that takes real work. I asked others to share their positive stories of change in another thread,
    change they helped to make in their communities. Would love to hear some positive stories
    and personal accomplishments :D
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited May 2013
    Jeanwah wrote:

So do my step kids religiously, I make them listen sports radio, news while on our way to school. oh also I told them on the way to schooling don't want to see those IPhones I want ALL focus on school.

I might take up listening to country music, then for sure they will be a revolt/civil war. :mrgreen:

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Jeanwah wrote:

I'm glad to hear others are beginning to speaking out against this shit. It's been defended too long as being part of African American culture. Culture? Bullshit. It's anti-women, in its own twisted-in-on-itself way, it's anti- African American and its anti-people. It's about hate and only about hate. Gangsta Rap cannot die off fast enough.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    seriously.. what the fuck! is wrong with people???[/quote

I'm glad to hear others are beginning to speaking out against this shit. It's been defended too long as being part of African American culture. Culture? Bullshit. It's anti-women, in its own twisted-in-on-itself way, it's anti- African American and its anti-people. It's about hate and only about hate. Gangsta Rap cannot die off fast enough.

Once in a blue I can listen to some rap but that garbage they listen to and like with all the cursing I just can't take at all. Around here it appears more white kids are into this form of music than the African American children.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Tyler The Creator is a well known violent misogynist

Most of his fans are middle class white boys :fp: :fp:
    Tyler The Creator is a well known violent misogynist

Most of his fans are middle class white boys :fp: :fp:

I have no idea who that guy is in fact I've never heard of him and your last sentence it quite true around here. Go figure, most of the time I can't figure out a word they are saying.

Peace

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Pepsi sucks anyway. I was forced to drink a Pepsi the other day when i put my money in a machine and everything BUT Pepsi was sold out, and it wouldn't give me my money back.
    Fucking nasty shit.

So not only is their product nasty, but they are stupid as can be too?
    :?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I find the whole thing just stupid; it wasn't even funny or thought-provoking. If you're going to "push the limits" - whatever the fuck that means anymore - at least make it intelligent.

Yet another PR stunt.

This is what it's come to, folks!

As to the genre...hmmm. Booty Pop, anyone? Really sad that gaudy jewelry, young girls grinding, and gang signs (do they even get what they mean and their import?) are desirable and HOT.

Really fucking sad all around.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hedonist wrote:
    I find the whole thing just stupid; it wasn't even funny or thought-provoking. If you're going to "push the limits" - whatever the fuck that means anymore - at least make it intelligent.

Yet another PR stunt.

As to the genre...hmmm. Booty Pop, anyone? Really sad that gaudy jewelry, young girls grinding, and gang signs (do they even get what they mean and their import?) are desirable and HOT.

BAAAAAM !!!! YEAHHHH ..my thoughts exactly.

Godfather.
    hedonist wrote:

Yet another PR stunt.

I read somewhere that soft drinks and other products NEED pop culture heroes to sell their product, and since Mountain Dew's biggest drinkers are teen boys, they figured that hiring this asshole to sell their product would make it a hit, because that's who the teens are listening to. Epic failure. Not to mention, after the rape thread? What our young men's attitude towards women will be. Respectful? Absolutely not. I had to listen to a few lyrics of gangsta rap whenever my nephew asks me what I think of his music. It makes want to ask his mother if she knows what he's listening to.