3-D Printers

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I want one

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=biss_hp_cat_5?ie=UTF8&node=6066126011

3D Printer May Someday Build Human Organs
http://mashable.com/2013/02/06/3d-print ... ll-organs/

Lots of people use 3D printers to sculpt plastic. But some are using them to shape cells.

A team of researchers at Heriot-Watt University in Scotland, led by Will Shu, has built a printer that can lay down human stem cells in tiny spheres. Printing human cells has been done before, with bone marrow or skin. Those types of cells, however, are resilient compared to the more delicate embryonic stem cells.

“The technique will allow us to create more accurate human tissue models which are essential to in vitro drug development and toxicity-testing. Since the majority of drug discovery is targeting human disease, it makes sense to use human tissues.” Shu said in a press release.
I miss igotid88
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't know about this one....
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    I've studied 3D technologies during my Master and I have to say that 3D printers are indeed very clever machines, but also too expensive.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    I don't know about this one....
    same here...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    :shock: :o8-)
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    A few different 3D printers are around, the one that uses a laser is the one I want.

A friend of mine works with the Makerbots , he works with a whole set of these printers. 3D printing is just really cool :)

(Laser 3D printing)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/12/3867864/3d-printing-precisely-with-formlabs-and-the-form-1

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/07/form-1-3d-printer-goes-into-production-first-batch-scheduled-for-delivery-in-late-april/
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I work in the plastic industry so I'm pretty familiar with 3-D Printers. Super cool to see in action!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I work in the plastic industry so I'm pretty familiar with 3-D Printers. Super cool to see in action!!

Bob?

Some dude is planning on building a house from sections printed from a 3D printer. Fact
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Bob?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Bob?

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Thank goodness for manufacturing!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    In a few years, the technology will also be there where you can manufacture assault rifles with a 3-D printer. They've already had success, but they don't last very long.

Some dude already figured out how to make 30 round magazines for his AR and it worked perfect.
    Jason P wrote:
    In a few years, the technology will also be there where you can manufacture assault rifles with a 3-D printer. They've already had success, but they don't last very long.

Some dude already figured out how to make 30 round magazines for his AR and it worked perfect.

There like replicators from Star Trek TNG, still having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
    I ordered one 2 days ago. :)
    Idris wrote:

What are you going to make?
    edited February 2013
    Idris wrote:

What are you going to make?

I dunno, a bong at first possibly, maybe some hobby stuff like an airplane, some crazy looking toys for my nephew.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/3dPrinting/

I guess whatever the mind can think of,
    Post edited by Idris on
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Idris wrote:

does it come with the scanner and the program?
    did you see me? i saw you.
    shortstack wrote:
    Idris wrote:

does it come with the scanner and the program?

Pretty sure it does not have a scanner, I have plans to hook an X box Kinect to it. You mean program with designs and specs to upload onto a computer and print from said program? I'm not sure if it does (it probably does) come with it, But I know specs are free to download online.
    You could buy one Storm trooper action figure and clone your own Empire!
    You could buy one Storm trooper action figure and clone your own Empire!

I'm working on printing 'The Battlestar Galactica' (from the TV show)

Printed a Yoda pencil holder last night as a test print. Got hundreds of things ready to print, also working on some custom models, as in modeling designs (via the computer) at home for others to print out...Open Source!

Also on the list to print.....Lego Darth!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:50300
    So getting a second printer,

These things are pretty amazing, we got tons of 3D designs ready, many are ones we created, modeling on our computer.

We have yet to get into major detail, which we are going to prototype a few cool designs in the next few weeks. (If everything goes as well as we would like it to go)

We are working on an F1 car, with moving parts. Then cast it in Carbon Fiber like the real thing.
    Idris wrote:
    So getting a second printer,

These things are pretty amazing, we got tons of 3D designs ready, many are ones we created, modeling on our computer.

We have yet to get into major detail, which we are going to prototype a few cool designs in the next few weeks. (If everything goes as well as we would like it to go)

We are working on an F1 car, with moving parts. Then cast it in Carbon Fiber like the real thing.

You should take pics and document it step by step.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    pretty cool! I would totally love to have one.

Google Sketch-Up is a cool free program for modeling stuff...but you probably already knew that.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

You should take pics and document it step by step.

We did a time-lapse a few day's ago, If I ever get around to posting it here.

The great thing is, all this is open source, so it will be available to the general public.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    Surgeons Replace 75% of Guy's Skull —Using 3D Printer

http://www.newser.com/story/164271/surg ... inter.html
    I miss igotid88
    Jason P wrote:

Printing guns documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA
    I miss igotid88
    This vid shows a few things from last years 3D print show in London. Some cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-E6vRfnijw
    igotid88 wrote:

Probably best to avoid 'MakerBot', They are the most popular right now, but for sure not the best.

They have decent marketing, but the machines are not as good as they make them to be (not that they are bad). But the most significant thing (to my mind) is the move they made to 'closed source'. (So to speak)

I keep forgetting to go
    I miss igotid88