Will major sports ever embrace both genders playing together

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Will there ever be a day when the NBA has female and male athletes playing together. Or in golf. or baseball.

Whats the rationale for women and men playing in seperate leagues? Does it even apply in 2013?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    Will boxers ever embrace allowing heavyweight class to fight against the lightweight class?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    It didn't in the early 90s. From 1991-1994 we had a couple of girls who played with us boys on our hs soccer team. We didn't have enough to field a girls team
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Will there ever be a day when the NBA has female and male athletes playing together. Or in golf. or baseball.

Whats the rationale for women and men playing in seperate leagues? Does it even apply in 2013?

Women are competing against men in auto racing. I don't see it happening in the sports you mention.
    There is already a WNBA. Why would the NBA include female athletes just to include them? It would be a publicity stunt. Brittney Griner was a great college player for Baylor who played center. She is 6-8. She simply could not compete against today's NBA centers.

I'm a big fan of women's basketball and tennis btw. The UConn Huskies got a huge win on Sunday, beating their nemesis of recent years Notre Dame to get to Tuesday's national title game. Go Huskies!
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wii have both played golf in men's tournaments.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

If it would make money it would've been done by now. I personally would not have an interest in watching coed leagues.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Done and done.

th?id=H.4585479835814219&pid=15.1
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    nope. no chance women can compete in the 4 major sports. women have zero chance of ever coming close to playing in the NBA. Size and athleticism is so far greater for men that women have no chance in basketball. average high school teams would beat women's college teams. i was a fairly pedestrian high school basketball player who played pick up games against female players who were all conference in the big east and A10 and they couldn't guard me or get a shot off against me. their just not big enough or physical enough.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719

Size and strength. It will apply forever.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Speaking in reference to MLB, NBA, NHL, and NFL:

it isnt an issue of "embracing" genders playing together.

It is a matter of females not being able to perform physically at the highest level. These athletes arent like us, most are thouroughbreds.

At some point, its not impossible there may be a female or 2 who breaks in at a specialized position: I can see a kicker/punter, outfielder/slap hitter, goalie... but even those are huge long-shots and someone will have to hit the genetic lottery.

As far as complete mixes on teams, never.

Also, can you imagine if your star Center had to miss the season due to pregnancy?
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wii have both played golf in men's tournaments.

Sponser exemptions
  • shepshep Houston Posts: 5,644
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Speaking in reference to MLB, NBA, NHL, and NFL:

it isnt an issue of "embracing" genders playing together.

It is a matter of females not being able to perform physically at the highest level. These athletes arent like us, most are thouroughbreds.

At some point, its not impossible there may be a female or 2 who breaks in at a specialized position: I can see a kicker/punter, outfielder/slap hitter, goalie... but even those are huge long-shots and someone will have to hit the genetic lottery.

As far as complete mixes on teams, never.

Also, can you imagine if your star Center had to miss the season due to pregnancy?

Have we forgotten about Manon already?

ManonRh%C3%A9aume-500x281.jpg

but what others are saying here is true, women just aren't built as strong and powerful as men (particularly not the heavily trained and regimented ones that play pro sports), and therefore can't compete.

I don't think anyone would stop them from playing if they were good enough to keep up with everyone else in the 4 major leagues mentioned...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I did think of her. She wasnt much more than a publicity stunt in a new Region for the sport. Impressive she was able to suit up in a preseason game, but far from being an NHL Goaltender.

It is also proof that a team would love to have a female play, as it would be huge press and open up a new demographic.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Ever? yes
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,789
    pandora wrote:
    Ever? yes

I can hear the commentary now..

Broadcaster: And pandora drives the lane, and goes for a layup....And OHHH! Labron knocks her in to Next Week!!! Lets take a quick timeout, while the paramedics take pandora to the E.R.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

;)
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    girls would get creamed playing footy with the guys. not to mention female players would be targetted as the weak link. people need to remember as much as wed all like to be p.c. men and women are built differently.. they arent equal in all areas. so im saying no major sport will never embrace co -ed teams. and tbh i think its a ridiculous notion.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Broadcaster: Its 1st and 10 from the 35, SPEEDY takes the snap and hands off to pandora....OHH!!! What a hit! pandora is knocked for a 7 yard loss. Black Diamond did you see that hit?
    Black Diamond: Yes I did! Her helmet must have flown 20 feet in the air!
    Broadcaster: Oh wait..I think her head is still in the helmet. Oh Oh! Lets take a commercial break.

;););););)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    Ever? yes

I can hear the commentary now..

Broadcaster: And pandora drives the lane, and goes for a layup....And OHHH! Labron knocks her in to Next Week!!! Lets take a quick timeout, while the paramedics take pandora to the E.R.

;)
    :lol: I pity the fool ;) I'm better known as Mrs. T :lol:
    We already have a co-ed team is professional sports..
    They are called the Chicago Cubs.

:P
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

i thought the cubs were just a bunch of girls. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIPIgDm5UphUQ3NjtbHq9yoyLk-X2wEcXvZCf4d31Ns1jKUw5ZwA
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTk7bCK4ckkhHJim3gKoNalbJPdB1VpH315RiXzq8f_-2t0EZk
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Jason P wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTk7bCK4ckkhHJim3gKoNalbJPdB1VpH315RiXzq8f_-2t0EZk

:lol:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Jason P wrote:

:clap: and the Lightning women goalie from the 90's, but she never played a game (just pre-season or minor league i believe
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Jason P wrote:

:clap: and the Lightning women goalie from the 90's, but she never played a game (just pre-season or minor league i believe

Sorry. Driving a car fast is no more a sport than my children playing on my backyard swing set. If something is a common every day occurence - not a sport.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012

+1

And maybe someday in a specialty position, but never on a regular basis.

Teams would have to build separate locker rooms, and I don't see them wanting to spend the extra $$.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    No.
    Just... no.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    Jason P wrote:

Sorry. Driving a car fast is no more a sport than my children playing on my backyard swing set. If something is a common every day occurence - not a sport.
    It must be a fun commute for you each day driving bumper to bumper at 180 mph for 3+ hours.