why doesn't Pearl Jam play longer concerts

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited November 2013 in The Porch
I understand about festivals, but I notice most of Bruce Springsteen's concerts are well over 3 hours nowadays, of course Bruce doesn't smoke, and keeps himself in excellent shape, but they are the same types of bands,everyone talks about the final night at the Spectrum as the be all end all, but here is a Springsteen show from Helsinki, Finland in 2012, 4h37m 38 songs. Pearl Jam has a wide repertoire of songs to choose from, they could have Stone play a couple songs a night (solo stuff or write a few more songs for him to give Eddie some vocal breaks), and let all the band members have more solos, and with Eddie monologues not sure why they can't throw in at least a couple 3 to 3.5 hour shows per tour, just a thought, if the band is going to play fewer shows, at least make them longer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCmZ7WQLNQ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour....they cant even take breathes after 2 hours show..
    its impossible with the energy they play their shows..at that age..
    i remember at 1992 they played with so crazy energy..but 10-12 songs set..now they play 25 minimum..
    thats why they are the best band in the planet..cos their live shows has the same top high quility always..
    and no need fancy clothes or lights or scenes to make the show better..
    its the best already..

if they do a 60 shows tour and 3 hours set,the quality will go down right away..

no have to mention..there are bands out there that tix prices are double than pj and plays 45-60 min show only..

i respect Bruce,he is huge..amazing..but he cant do what eddie does on stage for more time than eddie
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    obviously I don't think they could do that every show, but once or twice a tour, I am sure they could, they played 2h38m at Stockholm, so it is not that much further to 3h, and the excitement just knowing that it is possible, would create even more excitement going to each show, you shouldn't be able to look at your watch and say "well they have been playing 2h so that means we get 1 or 2 more songs" throwing in 1 or 2 really long shows a tour would be cool, and it would likely mean we would get to see songs like Around The Bend more often
    they played 2 hours at Amsterdam 2 and they couldnt wave us back for goodbye,they where exhausted!
    ok,that show was from another planet,but still...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • AmyMooreAmyMoore Posts: 139
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour..

if they do a 60 shows tour and 3 hours set,the quality will go down right away..

Back when they used to play 60 show tours, they were young enough to play 3 hours every night :D

They haven't had a hard tour schedule since 96. Maybe 98, because that Hawaii to NZ, then to Melbourne travel was a kick in the ass. We were all flying commercial on the same flights ;)

Even in years with a lot of shows (2006 is the most recent example), rarely back to back shows, a few rare 3 nights in a row, 3 week long leg, with a minimum of 2 weeks off between legs.
    AmyMoore wrote:
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour..

Back when they used to play 60 show tours, they were young enough to play 3 hours every night :D

They haven't had a hard tour schedule since 96. Maybe 98, because that Hawaii to NZ, then to Melbourne travel was a kick in the ass. We were all flying commercial on the same flights ;)

Even in years with a lot of shows (2006 is the most recent example), rarely back to back shows, a few rare 3 nights in a row, 3 week long leg, with a minimum of 2 weeks off between legs.
    true,even 2009 when they played 4 shows in one place ,LA-Philly they didnt play 3 nights in the row
    even a 2006 big style tour happen,the shows will be 2 hours..its impossible to play with this energy and quality more..isnt easy at that age..
    same as eddie voice..need rest..3 hours sing his lugs out ,jumping,drinking, smoking,50 years old??
    isnt easy at all..
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    They're not Bruce. That's okay.
    They still play longer than most other bands.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    not many people push a voice like Eddie does.

Bruce also does 25-30 song sets too. A lot of talking and extended jams....
  • konopheekonophee Posts: 64
    Bruce is out of this planet :D
    I would say, his gigs arent so wild, but anyway he is able to do it with quitar, with piano. And 4h30m it is incredible.

As for the quality. They are getting older, but their shows are still same long, or even longer (as Stockholm)
    and compare to big tour 2000, 2003, 2006 and shows for today. 45-60 minutes sets from early ages were allright, the only have about 15 songs to play.

I think, you will play 2h45m at Wrigley and London. As I hope for you.
    Anyway, It´s so lovely their shows with so much energy they give into.

Try on your skin jump a sing whole Even Flow on 100%. Their conditions at 5th decades its unbelievable. And I dont care if show has 2h or 2h35m, if crowd is allright, the night will be perfect. ;)
    Prague 2000, Berlin 2010, Prague 2012, Berlin I. 2012
    2014 EU TOUR: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin - done!!!
    konophee wrote:
    I would say, his gigs arent so wild, but anyway he is able to do it with quitar, with piano. And 4h30m it is incredible.

As for the quality. They are getting older, but their shows are still same long, or even longer (as Stockholm)
    and compare to big tour 2000, 2003, 2006 and shows for today. 45-60 minutes sets from early ages were allright, the only have about 15 songs to play.

Try on your skin jump a sing whole Even Flow on 100%. Their conditions at 5th decades its unbelievable. And I dont care if show has 2h or 2h35m, if crowd is allright, the night will be perfect. ;)
    like prague 12... ;)
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Geez, aren't they long enough already? You just about need to bring a packed lunch.

Honestly, I think the 1998 shows were the perfect length.

(Also: Bruce Springsteen is awful. Anything the band can do to be less like Bruce fucking Springsteen, I'm in favour of.)
    Spencer wrote:
    Geez, aren't they long enough already? You just about need to bring a packed lunch.
    that made me laugh.. :lol:
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Be all to end all.. PJ plays more than most other
    bands COMBINED! Give credit where credit is due!!
    The show you see for PJ is like NOTHING you'll ever see
    by any other band or person!!! They give more than any
    others are willing to give! Bruce is his own entity, and
    Does nothing CLOSE to what Eddie gives to us...
    Just saying..,
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Spencer wrote:

Honestly, I think the 1998 shows were the perfect length.

(Also: Bruce Springsteen is awful. Anything the band can do to be less like Bruce fucking Springsteen, I'm in favour of.)
    :lol::lol: Yes, I think they are long enough too. 30 songs is a lot and very satisfying.
    And I don't think the Boss is awful by any means (I like many of his ballads a LOT), but I'd way rather see a 45 minute long PJ set than a 4 hour Springsteen show! In fact, if I went to concert that long, I'd probably leave early. That's just too much no matter how awesome. My ears and eyes would need to stop.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'd way rather see a 45 minute long PJ set than a 4 hour Springsteen show! In fact, if I went to concert that long, I'd probably leave early. That's just too much no matter how awesome. My ears and eyes would need to stop.
    This guy gets it.

Too much of a good thing, y'know?
  • You said they're the same types of bands. They are not the same types of bands. Thats a ridiculous statement. Bruce doesn't have any songs like lukin, blood, deep, spin the black, go, brain of j, etc. Songs like those are demanding not only on Ed's voice but demanding on the other members as well.

Its more difficult to play music with a fast tempo. Im assuming you dont play guitar or an instrument because its easy to play a song like black thats a few chords strummed at a slow tempo rather than a faster more demanding tune like Go.

Its the reason why when a magazine asked Matt Cameron the difference about doing soundgarden shows and pj shows he spoke about how sg shows are more demanding on him.

In general the heavier and faster the band the shorter the show will be. Thats not absolute obviously. But its why most metal shows will never crack 1.5 hours and why Phish can jam and noodle for hours on end.
  • konopheekonophee Posts: 64
    konophee wrote:

like prague 12... ;)

Yes, like this show, from first tone till last beer. :D I dont know, if I had energy for something more.
    Prague 2000, Berlin 2010, Prague 2012, Berlin I. 2012
    2014 EU TOUR: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin - done!!!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    If they wouldn't have gone for the short puckrock-songs after Ten and continued writing the jam-y and suitabe to be long anthems (Alive, Even flow, Jeremy, Porch etc) I could see them being 3h today.

Now, when they throw out the short songs one after one, even at 2:20 the narrative is sort of broken.

But they could stop playing the songs so damn fast and make Given To Fly and Nothing as itseems 8-9 minutes each. Sure :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

But they could stop playing the songs so damn fast and make Given To Fly and Nothing as itseems 8-9 minutes each. Sure :)
    yep...Another exable..if they play even flow,better man,porch,alive slower and add a bigger solo or tag at black or daughter...there you have an extra 20-30 min show..
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    I would have the same problem with this as I do with sex

Around 4 hours in I start getting bored
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 wrote:
    I would have the same problem with this as I do with sex

Around 4 hours in I start getting bored
    :lol:
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    A bruce show and a pearl jam show are completely different. 10th ave freeze out could be 12 or 15 minutes long as well as mary's place (the crowd could be chanting "turn it up" for 6 or 7 minutes...yawn). There's also a lull at a bruce show where he'll play something real slow to give the band a breather like the song the river (which I hated watching). While I always loved both bands bruce is more about music and a show and pearl jam is all about, "yeah we're here, we have no elaborate stage, no gimmicks, we just play fucking rock, like it or not".
    I think a pj show should be anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Any more and it would just be tiresome. I remember how tired I was after philly 4, I have no clue how pj sustained that energy level throughout the show.

I've been at some marathon shows (randall's night 2, penn state, philly 4) and it's nice when those shows are the exception and not the norm, it makes them even more special.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    how many shows did they play in 2012? like 17 or 18, I hardly think an extended 3h set, that would include an more songs like Around The Bend, is going to kill the band, if they only play 15 to 20 shows a year I am fine with that, but there are so many songs the band doesn't play anymore, so many chill songs that are in mothballs, obviously you can't do a 3hour set with all songs like Porch and Alive,I get that, but Thumbing My Way and Hard To Imagine, totally different story, but that is my opinion
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    I can't believe this is even being discussed...
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    3hrs and still nothing off Riot Act or Binaural!

:x
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
    3h setlist that would realistic

Thumbing My Way
    Small Town
    Society
    Timeless Melody
    Off He Goes
    Around The Bend
    Parting Ways
    Army Reserve
    Sad
    Can't Keep
    Sunburn (unreleased PJ song with Stone singing)
    Bayleaf (Stone Gossard solo)
    Ghost
    Dirty Frank
    Little Wing with a long Mike McCready solo

and the band can fill in whatever songs they want to fill the other 1.5 hours, I seriously doubt a setlist like that would kill the band, most of you are looking at this from one angle, I am looking at this from a different one, Pearl Jam likes to mix up their setlists, obviously you cannot play Alive and Porch for 3 hours straight, but what is one of the most popular albums PJ has made amongst it's hardcore fans? Live at Benroya Hall, 3 hours of that will not kill the band,or 1.5 hours of that and 1.5 hours of normal hard rocking stuff would not either
    Grand Rapids 2006 that would be the kind of show I am thinking about
    http://pearljam.com/setlists/1021/all/20438/van_andel_arena?ref_album_id=18592

Thumbing My Way
    Small Town
    Society
    Timeless Melody
    Off He Goes
    Around The Bend
    Parting Ways
    Army Reserve
    Sad
    Can't Keep
    Ghost
    Dirty Frank

and the band can fill in whatever songs they want to fill the other 1.5 hours, I seriously doubt a setlist like that would kill the band, most of you are looking at this from one angle, I am looking at this from a different one, Pearl Jam likes to mix up their setlists, obviously you cannot play Alive and Porch for 3 hours straight, but what is one of the most popular albums PJ has made amongst it's hardcore fans? Live at Benroya Hall, 3 hours of that will not kill the band,or 1.5 hours of that and 1.5 hours of normal hard rocking stuff would not either
    the most of the songs you add will work with acoustic set in..
    cant play an non acoustic show,and roickin like that in that age and ed screaming 3 hours..impossible
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i was at one that was 3 hours. buffalo just before the state college and second last night of the tour. unbelievable show and night. couldn't believe they just kept playing. came out for the encore and said stone or mike would pay the fine for going over curfew.this may also be part of the problem as well.if it is start the show earlier. also i might add bruce use to play 4 hour shows when i first saw him in 78. but he took a half hour break in the middle. grateful dead ,same thing. so maybe the y could do the same thing every now and then ,not saying 4 hours but at least 3 plus half hour break . would be interesting.

Thumbing My Way
    Small Town
    Society
    Timeless Melody
    Off He Goes
    Around The Bend
    Parting Ways
    Army Reserve
    Sad
    Can't Keep
    Ghost
    Dirty Frank

the most of the songs you add will work with acoustic set in..
    cant play an non acoustic show,and roickin like that in that age and ed screaming 3 hours..impossible

I don't want Ed screaming for 3 hours, but one or two shows a year where they throw in a 1 to 1.5 hours chill set where they are sitting down and Ed is shooting the shit with the crowd would be a really cool mix up
    also this would be a way to play more song each year, instead of burying songs for decades :lol: