"Bates Motel" on A&E....who's in?

SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
Anybody else pumped up for the "Psycho" prequel series coming to A&E? I don't see a thread (and yes I searched) about it, I can't wait. I haven't heard when it will air, other than 2013. I don't know much about it other than that one of the Lost writers is the head writer, and it stars Freddie Highmore (who?) as Norman Bates, and Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates, aka Mother.

batesmotelsign.jpg
"See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,714
    . I don't know much about it other than that one of the Lost writers is the head writer, and it stars Freddie Highmore (who?) as Norman Bates, and Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates, aka Mother.

i never heard of it but Freddie Highmore was the kid in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory and Finding Neverland. Maybe it's a different Freddie Highmore though cause he might be too young to play Norman Bates.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I'm very excited about this!!!

Yes, I realize it might suck, but I love the idea of delving into the details of what led up to "Psycho."

Here's hoping it's good.
  • my name is NORMAN. i.m in
    they'll say he's so harmless he wouldm't even hurt a fly.!?
    06/12/03,06/13/03
    10-05-04 09-09-05
    05-16-06-5-17-06-5-19-06,06-26-06-06-27-06 05-03-10 09-04-11
    07/19/13 11-15-13
    Pretty decent premiere. Good music too (heard BRMC and Radiohead) :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Def going to check this out shortly.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    . I don't know much about it other than that one of the Lost writers is the head writer, and it stars Freddie Highmore (who?) as Norman Bates, and Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates, aka Mother.

i never heard of it but Freddie Highmore was the kid in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory and Finding Neverland. Maybe it's a different Freddie Highmore though cause he might be too young to play Norman Bates.

It is the same person.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    On the DVR right now.

Just hope it's decent and they don't cancel it after 3 episodes. I like to give new shows a few watchings before I decide if I like it or not.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    RKCNDY wrote:
    On the DVR right now.

Didn't they already try this in the '80s, though?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    On the DVR right now.

Are you talking about the movie re-make?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    dankind wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    On the DVR right now.

Are you talking about the movie re-make?

No, I remember a "Bates Motel" TV show or miniseries or something?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Just got to this now.

Thought the first episode was pretty good. Kid plays a good Norman Bates.

The cop in the bathroom scene was pretty good suspense.
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    Thought it was pretty good. But, there is something about it that I don't like and I can't put my finger on it....maybe the Mother/Son relationship is just too creepy???

I also thought it had a bit of a Twin Peaks feel...lots of weird stuff going on in a small town.
    I lost a bet...
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I thought this was supposed to be a prequel?

How is it a prequil when it's set in modern time?

Maybe it's because I'm a horror purist but not happy with it. Turned it off when I realized it's set in current time.
    My butt itches!
    Thought it was pretty good. But, there is something about it that I don't like and I can't put my finger on it....maybe the Mother/Son relationship is just too creepy???
    Well yeah, thats how it was in the original movies. The mother s controlling, and Norman ends up only really loving/caring about this mother.
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    DURP wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm a horror purist but not happy with it. Turned it off when I realized it's set in current time.

same here
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    Well yeah, thats how it was in the original movies. The mother s controlling, and Norman ends up only really loving/caring about this mother.

Oh yeah, I think that I just was uncomfortable actually watching it play out.

The story has a lot of potential.
    I lost a bet...
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    dankind wrote:

The only similarities are the titles. "Bates Motel" was a made for TV film that was a spinoff/sequel about a guy in an asylum (played by Bud Cort) who befriends Norman Bates during their stay together and inherits the Bates Motel after Norman's death.
    DURP wrote:

Were you also unhappy with James Bond first achieving Double-0 status in 2006, or Batman "beginning" in 2005? It's a reboot, I've gotten used to them I guess. They could have made it a period piece, but I guess they decided to go this route, which is no skin off my ass. Just pretend the events of Psycho take place in modern times as well and all is fine.
    dankind wrote:
    DURP wrote:

Were you also unhappy with James Bond first achieving Double-0 status in 2006, or Batman "beginning" in 2005? It's a reboot, I've gotten used to them I guess. They could have made it a period piece, but I guess they decided to go this route, which is no skin off my ass. Just pretend the events of Psycho take place in modern times as well and all is fine.

Don't care about James Bond.

Batman Begins was not a Prequel.

This is supposed to be Norman as a teenager. Which would be in the 40's not 2013. Fine they want to re boot it that's fine. But all the previews on A&E led me to believe that it was going to be set before the first Psycho movie. Then to see flat screens, and cell phones in it made me very dissapointed.
    My butt itches!
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I had no idea it's a prequel. I might check it out. For some reason I am now intrigued.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    DURP wrote:
    dankind wrote:

This is supposed to be Norman as a teenager. Which would be in the 40's not 2013. Fine they want to re boot it that's fine. But all the previews on A&E led me to believe that it was going to be set before the first Psycho movie. Then to see flat screens, and cell phones in it made me very dissapointed.
    You didnt see the commercial that showed Norman with the earbuds in his ears with the cell phone?
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    DURP wrote:
    Don't care about James Bond.

Batman Begins was not a Prequel.

It is set before Psycho, just rebooted. I guess you could consider it a reboot/prequel. Psycho was released in 1960, but it wasn't about the year 1960 or anything, and I don't think the show needs (though it could have been cool) to keep the timeframe.

I only brought up James Bond, because it's a series that manages to have no continuity with a character that stays roughly the same age over the course of 50 years and gets rebooted quite often. The same man that was fighting Dr. No in 1962 is fighting Raoul Silva in 2013. Same with Batman. I realize none of these are pure prequels, but they are series that have taught people to not get so caught up in series continuity and stay up to date while keeping the same characters.

I think the characters and plot at the heart of Psycho are pretty timeless. It could be set in 1863 or 2013 and be the same, only the clothing and sets would be different. They could have made it the 40's, but it's not really necessary, and would likely be more expensive to make. I think the setting isn't as important as the story. I think it may have been cooler to make it a pure prequel, but it didn't disappoint me personally. I can see what you're saying, but since reboots are so common these days I've gotten used to it.

You didnt see the commercial that showed Norman with the earbuds in his ears with the cell phone?[/quote]

If I did I didn't notice it.

I guess it's me being a grumpy man. When I hear Norman Bates I immediatlly think of the black and white Psycho movie.

Guess I should shut my trap and accept it.

I get that charachters will forever be around Bond, Batman, Jason, Freddie, Norman, Michael to name a few and with new decades and generations things will be different with each new reboot. I admit I did like the new Freddie (the character) he seemed creepier and more psychotic than old Freddie. Other side I hated the new Jason. Jason running WTF.

Maybe I will go back and give it anther try. Worse that can happen is I waste 55 minutes of my life on the pilot ep.
    My butt itches!
  • DURP wrote:

You didnt see the commercial that showed Norman with the earbuds in his ears with the cell phone?

If I did I didn't notice it.

I guess it's me being a grumpy man. When I hear Norman Bates I immediatlly think of the black and white Psycho movie.

Guess I should shut my trap and accept it.

I get that charachters will forever be around Bond, Batman, Jason, Freddie, Norman, Michael to name a few and with new decades and generations things will be different with each new reboot. I admit I did like the new Freddie (the character) he seemed creepier and more psychotic than old Freddie. Other side I hated the new Jason. Jason running WTF.

Maybe I will go back and give it anther try. Worse that can happen is I waste 55 minutes of my life on the pilot ep.[/quote]
    I didn't get to see this yet. The trailers for it looked pretty good. I didn't think of it as being set in the 60's. Norman Bates really resembles the original I think. I'm going to have to check this out.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
    This is quite a graphic show. :shock:

I thought for sure Norma was going to kill off Dylan before she went off to go meet the deputy.

- Christopher McCandless
    I am really enjoying this series thus far.

It's like Psycho meets Twin Peaks.
    DURP wrote:
    dankind wrote:

Hey, how did I get implicated here?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Like this show so far...tonight bump.
    pretty decent episode tonight. i'm kinda hooked on the show, it's still not great, but i'm digging it.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Starting to see Normans schizophrenia kick in.

Needless to say, that town is very screwed up. The Bates' may be on the normal side.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Watched for 2 episodes. Love it so far. Have to watch the other on the DVR this weekend. Big potential.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.