Poll: eBook vs. Physical book?

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Please everyone try to answer my two questions.. It would be a big help! Thanks! :)

PART 1
eBooks, Kindle, nook, etc...
If you use eBooks, what device do you prefer? How much do you often spend on reading material? What genre's do you like?

Do you prefer physical copies of books or eBooks?

Reason why I ask is that I'm an aspiring author. I've written a novel and I'm seeking publication. But I am seeing a variety of pros and cons to traditional publishing vs. eBooks.

PART 2
So, before I publish my novel, I compiled 70 of my craziest poems/short stories and I'm one click away from amazon eBook/Kindle publishing. It's 82 pages. I'm considering setting it at .99 cents (and possibly raising it to $2.99 in 3 months, depending on my reach). Would you be willing to spend .99 cents on an 82 page book of poems/short stories from a guy you never heard of? how about 2.99?

Reasons for this question is that I'm no good at marketing. I'm trying to decide if i'ts worth it to reach more people at .99 or make a better royalty percentage at 2.99. :?

Thanks everyone! :)
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    Part1 - Kindle, $5-15 a book on amazon. Just about everything. Prefer ebooks unless there is some fantastic photograpy part of the book.

Part 2 - Not going to spend anything on something I don't know I want or know anything about. Perhaps if there was a free download of a sample first then I might try it.

Good luck!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I like physical books. I tried to use my phone (Google Reader) to read one of the free books, but... :|

perhaps if you gave us writing samples, we could give you a better idea.

I bought a poetry book from an acid miner on here, and he even signed it and everything. :lol:

We helped him write the 'About the Author' for his latest book, http://www.amazon.com/000-Days-Madness- ... 330&sr=1-2

go to the 'Look Inside' and read the back cover blurb...I wrote the last part. 8-)

:wave: Hi eyed!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I prefer actual books. Something about the paper and the way a book smells that is very nice. While I prefer them, I actually find myself reading more e-books on my iPad than I do regular ones.
    So easy to find a book, pay for it and start reading it in less than 10 seconds!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Thanks all!
    And indifference, excellent point. I need to find a way to display excerpts.

RkCnDY, ahh good old Eyed! the about the author part is great! :lol:

Mca, I think I prefer the physcial books too. I;m trying out the kindle app on my phone and PC.. trying to read "Wool" by Hugh Howey, who had great success with simply indie publishing through kindle. I just cant get used to not holding the book!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    physical books for me. woman does samsung tab 2

i don't buy any books. library or barnes and noble
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    i prefer real books and I usually borrow them from the library so I know I'm of no help. But best of luck to you!!!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    81, and HeWhoforgets, thanks.. that is a help. I wanted to hear from everyone because I've been talking with people in the industry and a lot of them tend to have the opinion that eBooks are already taking over. I disagree with them. I think some might just be saying that because it will happen eventually, but I dont think we're there yet. I like to know that there are many folks that still prefer physical books and if they get them from the library or not. If I eBook self-publish, I leave out a lot of potential readers, so i'm trying to find a way to get self published into libraries too.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I got a Kindle in the fall and I liked it - but only for fiction. With non-fiction that has photos and maps I think it's easy to have the physical book. The convenience is nice if you're taking a plane somewhere. I've been buying used books from Amazon.

Re publishing - I would go cheaper because the truth is, you're not gonna make a million dollars. It's probably more important to put yourself out there and then when people know who you are, the next book is where you make your money. And hopefully millions.

That's just my opinion.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    I've never read an eBook and I don't have an electronic reader for them. At the moment, I wouldn't want to spend money on that either. Plus, like somebody before me, I too like the look, feel and smell of real books. And I like that you can read them anywhere, there is not battery that can die.
    But eBooks do have advantages too. It's way easier to move with eBooks :lol: . And I think more and more people do enjoy and have them.

I love reading, but dislike the library, when I like a book, I want to have it. I am buying used books, all over the internet, on flea markets etc ...

I too wouldn't spend 2.99 on a book whose author I have never heard of. A free preview sounds good to me. But I am one of the people who rarely spends money on apps...

Good luck with your publication!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Physical book
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited March 2013
    Part 1. I prefer hardcovers

Part 2. .99 sents.

:|
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Lucasfilm%20Research%20Library_2012.jpg

The Skywalker Ranch Library!

I Love Books, my wife has a Kindle and A Nook and loves them. She can read in bed with just the background light and not wake me up.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    81 wrote:

Fuck BARNES and NOBLES. They Screwed up everything!

:clap:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I like books
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I've read my last 10 books on the tablet, just because I can decide on what I want and start reading right from the comforts of home. As far as the experience of reading, I prefer a real book.

Part 2 - I'll spend $.99 on you - you're quite entertaining.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    STAYSEA wrote:
    81 wrote:

great place to get a coffee and read magazines that i would never buy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    81 wrote:

great place to get a coffee and read magazines that i would never buy

You can't read Jugs there.

Oh wait - you said that you would never buy.
    I've read my last 10 books on the tablet, just because I can decide on what I want and start reading right from the comforts of home. As far as the experience of reading, I prefer a real book.

:lol: thanks dman! There's a few here that get my screwy sense of humor haha. But you wouldn't spend 2.99? I'm not offended, I assumed you were cheap ;)

Bj, I'd like to see that sky walker library!
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I am certainly fascinated by the evolution of publishing.

:lol: thanks dman! There's a few here that get my screwy sense of humor haha. But you wouldn't spend 2.99? I'm not offended, I assumed you were cheap ;)

Bj, I'd like to see that sky walker library!
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I am certainly fascinated by the evolution of publishing.

I am cheap... I could prolly scare up $2.99 from the sofa.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I like paper. However, I usually only buy books that I think I will keep and reread.

I thought I would hate the Kindle, and I surprised myself. It is great for travel, and if I'm going to try out a new author, it will likely come in the form of an ebook.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I'm an inspiring writer as well. Very cool. I've written two books - both YA. The first one was horrible (never got published) and my most recent one is being looked at by an editor from a major publishing company (she's already rejected it once, gave me some ideas to change, I made them, and now I'm waiting to hear back from her again.) She also told me that it would be okay to send it off to other agents and publishers while I wait to hear back from her. I've sent out about 15 or so queries to various agents. I've heard back from about a third of them - a couple requested the entire novel, but no bites.

So, to answer your question, I prefer paper novels. As others have said in this thread, there's something about the feel and smell of a new book. I don't own a kindle though.

Please let me know when your collection of stories, poems, etc... goes up for sale. I'd pay for them. Also, let me know how it goes. I have a few friends that are pushing me to try the self publishing thing - at least through electronically, like you're thinking about, but I have no idea even where to start.

Good luck!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    I'm an inspiring writer as well. Very cool. I've written two books - both YA. The first one was horrible (never got published) and my most recent one is being looked at by an editor from a major publishing company (she's already rejected it once, gave me some ideas to change, I made them, and now I'm waiting to hear back from her again.) She also told me that it would be okay to send it off to other agents and publishers while I wait to hear back from her. I've sent out about 15 or so queries to various agents. I've heard back from about a third of them - a couple requested the entire novel, but no bites.

So, to answer your question, I prefer paper novels. As others have said in this thread, there's something about the feel and smell of a new book. I don't own a kindle though.

Please let me know when your collection of stories, poems, etc... goes up for sale. I'd pay for them. Also, let me know how it goes. I have a few friends that are pushing me to try the self publishing thing - at least through electronically, like you're thinking about, but I have no idea even where to start.

Good luck!

you just need....

miles-finch.gif
    LukinFan wrote:

Good luck!

you just need....

miles-finch.gif
    ha! great movie
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    give me a regular book every time.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I likei physical books, but I'm kind of warming to ebooks as well. And since my book was published (not self-published) as an ebook I'd go for ebook. Good luck!
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For me, nothing like the comfort of holding the book while reading. Perfect light, comfy chair or couch, the weight of it on you - and hell yes - that paper smell.

It's just...so damned satisfying. Getting to the end of a page, fingers ready to turn it? Ohhh yeah :)

Wishing you well in this endeavor, JP! You've always come across as an overall good and odd man (meant in a kind way!) ...who also writes quite well.

Keep us posted.
    bluegrace wrote:
    I likei physical books, but I'm kind of warming to ebooks as well. And since my book was published (not self-published) as an ebook I'd go for ebook. Good luck!
    what's the name of your book?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Jonny, I personally have no interest in eBooks but that statement could easily be written off because I sell used books for a living. That said, I've only been a used book dealer for the last 12 years but have had a strong interest in books since I was in high school in the 60's. I love the look, feel and smell (yes, smell) of a good book- as well as the content and writing, of course. Philosophically, I'm a bit turned off to the physical disconnect of eBooks and even feel the same way about email-- hand written letters are always more meaningful to me than electronically transmitted type.

Here's an interesting interview with writer Sherman Alexie regarding eBooks:

http://www.edrants.com/sherman-alexie-c ... t-charges/

Good luck with your book. Let us know when it is available!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I love love books and going to the book store. I can spend an entire day at borders books or Barnes and Nobel book store. The atmosphere is so relaxing to me.... the books are endless. The amount of money I've spent just incredible ;)

But, this past Christmas my kids got a kindle fire and let me say - it's so addictive... I have an entire book store or library at my fingertips not to mention internet access. I must read a new book every two weeks, I save money and gas not driving to a book store as much.

I will always buy books but only the ones that I want a hard copy of.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    LukinFan wrote:
    bluegrace wrote:
    what's the name of your book?

It's called Casimireffekten, The Casimir Effect in English, and it is poetry, but it's in Swedish. You can find it on http://www.adlibris.se
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014