Options

No Assault Weapons Ban

JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
edited March 2013 in A Moving Train
Dropped by the Democratic leadership of the Senate.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... -bill?lite

"The assault weapons ban won't be included in major gun legislation set to take shape this week -- all but guaranteeing it won't pass Congress.

The ban hasn't been expected to pass, but the way Democratic leaders have decided to handle Sen. Dianne Feinstein's proposal means that she might see a dozen or more Democrats vote against the ban.

Feinstein said she's "disappointed" that it's turned out this way. She said that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told her about his decision at a meeting Monday afternoon."

26.jpg?w=620&h=206

Shame on Congress indeed.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    yes, shame on them.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Oh good, maybe I'll get that bazooka I always wanted for Christmas this year.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Who REALLY ever thought that assault weapon ban would pass through this Congress? It was NEVER GOING to happen any time in this decade. Most appear to want to keep things as they are and enforce what inadequate laws we currently have on the books....some appear to NOT want to even increase background checks...go figure.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    the question is how many more massacres is it gonna take before something is done legislatively?

nothing is ever going to change.

congress always does what is politically expedient, and most times it is never the right thing.

someone needs to fall on their fucking sword and risk losing an election to stand up for what they believe in. if i were elected i would. hell. if i got ousted by the voters i would just write my memoirs, or be a speaker or a contributor to a blog or tv show. i would end up richer than if i had stayed in congress lol...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    seems they finally came to their senses.

nice to see the political process work.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    enjoy the next funerals you idiots of the Congress
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    no need for name calling
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mcgavinjmcgavinj Idaho Falls, ID, USA Posts: 311
    People kill people. Are they going to ban our minds and personalities ??
  • Options
    600-spoons-made-me-fat.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    at the end of the day, not enough people wanted the change.....

that's called democracy....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately, our votes don't have the same stopping power as an assault rifle.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/1 ... story.html

And to answer the question asked earlier, no. I did not expect anything different from this Congress.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    mcgavinj wrote:

No. And the killing won't stop and we're all fucked. But maybe we can at least try to stop the violence. I have close friends and relations who are gun supporters. Now if I could just get some of them to at least as equally be in favor of supporting life. Some are, but not all. If we spent as much energy stopping violence as we do manufacturing and distributing weapons of death we might get closer to being more supportive of life.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Did someone in your congressional delegation take money from the NRA?

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips. ... te=&sort=N

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    JimmyV wrote:
    Unfortunately, our votes don't have the same stopping power as an assault rifle.

And to answer the question asked earlier, no. I did not expect anything different from this Congress.
    at least America is safe from Kinder Surprise Eggs..thats something..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

at least America is safe from Kinder Surprise Eggs..thats something..

feel free to get US citizen ship and vote.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    600-spoons-made-me-fat.jpg

Yep!
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    mcgavinj wrote:

No. And the killing won't stop and we're all fucked. But maybe we can at least try to stop the violence. I have close friends and relations who are gun supporters. Now if I could just get some of them to at least as equally be in favor of supporting life. Some are, but not all. If we spent as much energy stopping violence as we do manufacturing and distributing weapons of death we might get closer to being more supportive of life.

This is a tough topic for all. The guns will still be out there. People who want use them for violence will still use them for violence. I just hate to see the constitution re-written any more than it already has
  • Options
    mcgavinj wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    mcgavinj wrote:

This is a tough topic for all. The guns will still be out there. People who want use them for violence will still use them for violence. I just hate to see the constitution re-written any more than it already has

The only change to the constitution I can think of that was not an improvement was Prohibition and that was quickly repealed. What re-writes are you thinking of that were not improvements?

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    mcgavinj wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    mcgavinj wrote:

Speaking of the constitution... It's a document that's how old? Written 225 years ago? And we still follow it word for word? Is this sane? The number of people screaming that we must live according to a document over 200 years old doesn't sound a bit insane to some of you? Anyone? What would our forefathers have thought? Has anyone else ever wondered this???
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Speaking of the constitution... It's a document that's how old? Written 225 years ago? And we still follow it word for word? Is this sane? The number of people screaming that we must live according to a document over 200 years old doesn't sound a bit insane to some of you? Anyone? What would our forefathers have thought? Has anyone else ever wondered this???

you know...there is a mechnism to change it ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Fuck it , let the killings just continue if Newtown wasn't enough nothing ever will fuck it just arm everybody and shoot eachother to hell .....What a fucked up Country yeah i said it USA is a fucked up nation ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    the constitution is new compared to the bible, which was written almost 2000 years ago and people still follow that and take it literally. hell, there is a 10 hour miniseries on the bible on the history channel. yes, HISTORY channel :fp:

i think the forefathers would be embarrassed by, and in some cases aghast, at the federal government today.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The 16th amendment sucks
  • Options
    I'm gonna get hung in town square for this......

If you don't want to live, uphold and protect the Constitution of The United States of America.....
    There may be other countries willing to review your petition for citizenship.
  • Options
    mcgavinj wrote:

If you don't want to live, uphold and protect the Constitution of The United States of America.....

I'm not going to hang you anywhere. Just curious, based on one of your earlier posts, what changes to the constitution you view as being negatives.

• Options
    The 16th amendment sucks

That might be the only possible example.

• Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Jeanwah wrote:
    the constitution is new compared to the bible, which was written almost 2000 years ago and people still follow that and take it literally. hell, there is a 10 hour miniseries on the bible on the history channel. yes, HISTORY channel :fp:

i think the forefathers would be embarrassed by, and in some cases aghast, at the federal government today.

you are right, they would say it is too god damn big :lol:

I think the forefathers would be proud that the document they wrote still survived and provided freedom for many millions of people over the years. Although I think they would wonder how a Black man became president, how women were voting, and how on earth there came to be a federal income tax...

I don't have to wonder that...it was through the amendment process they created because they knew times would change. Once you start ignoring certain parts of the document you don't like, why wouldn't the whole thing eventually get ignored? It is all about who's ox is being gored I guess...I am sure there are still those that would love to ignore the 13th,16th, 20th and so on...
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    mcgavinj wrote:

ahh the old 2003 sentiment of "if you don't like it, you can get out!!"

it is my country too. it is my belief that the constitution could use an upgrade. are you saying i should leave for being a progressive?

• Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

you are right, they would say it is too god damn big :lol:

I think the forefathers would be proud that the document they wrote still survived and provided freedom for many millions of people over the years. Although I think they would wonder how a Black man became president, how women were voting, and how on earth there came to be a federal income tax...

I don't have to wonder that...it was through the amendment process they created because they knew times would change. Once you start ignoring certain parts of the document you don't like, why wouldn't the whole thing eventually get ignored? It is all about who's ox is being gored I guess...I am sure there are still those that would love to ignore the 13th,16th, 20th and so on...

And they would have been horrified by the types of weapons that are readily available to the modern American. Horrified.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    mcgavinj wrote:

I'm not going to hang you anywhere. Just curious, based on one of your earlier posts, what changes to the constitution you view as being negatives.

I tried to correct my statement in saying not necessarily changes already made ...but the more changes that are made the easier it will be to continue changing it. Where do we stop? Free speech? Term limits?