Little Electric Cat.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So here's my dilemma- after wanting a cat for a good while we got one that looked like a good fit. Got it home and instead of blood in it's veins, this blur of black fur attached to quick legs seems to run on nitrous oxide mixed with rocket fuel in a blend of amphetamines and caffeine with a dash of the devil mixed in. Holy crap, this thing is a live wire! :lol: I've always preferred mellow Cheshire-like cats that like to sit on cushions, squint their bedroom eyes and lounge in the sun.

Suggestions? (Sorry, shooting myself is not an option :lol: .)

(For bonus points, tell us the reference to this thread's title. :D)
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Young cat's are so much wilder than old ones. They want to play run after yarn and stuff :D
    I think he will calm down eventually :)

Good luck!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Annafalk wrote:
    Young cat's are so much wilder than old ones. They want to play run after yarn and stuff :D
    I think he will calm down eventually :)

Good luck!

Haha, yea how old is it?
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    a razor and some duct tape, about $5.
    :lol: juuuust kiddin, just kiddin.

I think it takes them some time to assimilate to a new environmental. How long have you had it?

Cant be this bad right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kmre7l0LuI :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Do you have plants in the house? My cat used to bite on the leaves of one of my plants, and I swear, she ran around the house like she was wired for sound. It could be that. I had to give the plant away.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    give it a few years :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was wondering how the kitty situation was happening there!

Did you do any homework on this one to see how the fit would be? Maybe another feline playmate is in order?

I noticed you don't refer to the cat as a he/she - that's a bit telling. Not a criticism at all, but perhaps something to think about....?

Nothing wrong with realizing a mis-match...just hope you can find your Cheshire and the present-tense kitty can find a home with others to play with.

(and remember, kittens are kittens! Toss all thoughts out the window of them chilling anytime soon :P )
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    :lol:

My youngest cat (turning 3 this November) is like that. Just constantly in motion and wanting to play with anything. This aggravates to no end his older brother, who is more of a passive lap cat.

My best advice? Get a toy (preferably something on a string) and have the cat chase it around the room at full speed for about 15 minutes. When it starts panting, stop for a bit and let it rest. If you do this once or twice a day, you'll find it'll be a much more mellow cat.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    get a dog to play with the cat ... should be good times ... :mrgreen:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Writing this with bloodshot, sleepless eyes... :lol:

We were told it was a young adult runt but I think it's just too close to still being a kitten. So the deal is, I said I wanted to adopt an older cat because they are mellower plus I like adopting older animals because they most often get overlooked. My wife got other ideas. :x The guy we got her from said he would take her back. My wife thinks this kitten is cute. I'm going to try to talk her into taking the young one to the store and bringing our old store cat Goldie (who is my buddy anyway) home.

coffee... coffee... :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Laser pointer.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    brianlux wrote:

We were told it was a young adult runt but I think it's just too close to still being a kitten. So the deal is, I said I wanted to adopt an older cat because they are mellower plus I like adopting older animals because they most often get overlooked. My wife got other ideas. :x The guy we got her from said he would take her back. My wife thinks this kitten is cute. I'm going to try to talk her into taking the young one to the store and bringing our old store cat Goldie (who is my buddy anyway) home.

i think that life doesn't always go as planned ... i would think twice about giving this cat/kitten back ...
    dankind wrote:
    Laser pointer.

+1

These things work wonders. And you can watch TV while you do it, too!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    My cat was like that when she was a kitten. Was cute and annoying at the same time.
    My best advice. Play with it as much as you can before going to bed. Gotta tucker it out, otherwise it'll be up all night getting into stuff.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well...have your coffee - strong I hope! - and please re-think your idea of having a hopped-up young runt of a cat in a public place of business (although I do picture your bookstore as a relaxed environment).

I don't mean to come off as judge-y. Just got soft spots for cats.
    hedonist wrote:
    Well...have your coffee - strong I hope! - and please re-think your idea of having a hopped-up young runt of a cat in a public place of business (although I do picture your bookstore as a relaxed environment).

I don't mean to come off as judge-y. Just got soft spots for cats.

Thanks for good advice. I'm kind of hoping we can eventually take the young one to the store so we can have old Goldie at home. She's not to far off from needing the better care I can give her at home. Plus, I have a soft spot for older animals. All but my first dog and a few cats were old rescue animals. Lots of lovin' there!

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    There are several good suggestions in here.. But the
    key ultimately is.... Play play play throughout the day!
    I love the laser pointers! Cats go ape shit for those things!
    A string toy is stellar as well. I suggest waiting on getting
    Him/her a companion though, two can be five times
    Worse than one! And try feeding right after play before bedtime.
    The key there is, to trick the cat's mind into thinking it
    has just hunted and killed it's dinner! They sleep better
    Under such conditions, good luck!
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    just pray you picked a cat that enjoys car rides. :fp: :fp: :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Cause that's something that totally exists, right? :lol: :fp: :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    81 wrote:

you're gonna have a fun drive. :lol::lol::lol:

when we moved out from Toeldo....he didn't stop meowing until half way across indiana :fp: :fp: :fp: my god that was miserable.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    81 wrote:

you're gonna have a fun drive. :lol::lol::lol:

when we moved out from Toeldo....he didn't stop meowing until half way across indiana :fp: :fp: :fp: my god that was miserable.

Ugh. That is a long-@ss time to endure a whinny meow. When I got my little one from my parents place near Rockford, he finally shut up once we got near the city ... then promptly started crying again when I got off the expressway. Here's hoping he'll stop meowing after the first couple hours and leave me in piece for a majority of the #themove.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i can be hired to move the cats....$2 per mile :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Be sure to put towels down if you don't have a carrier. Had a cat growing up who was scared to death of riding in a car. The towels are important if you don't want cat pee on your seat! :lol: Or maybe it'll be a cool cat like this...

Motorcycle-Cat.jpg?41ed4f
    mca47 wrote:
    Be sure to put towels down if you don't have a carrier. Had a cat growing up who was scared to death of riding in a car. The towels are important if you don't want cat pee on your seat! :lol: Or maybe it'll be a cool cat like this...

Motorcycle-Cat.jpg?41ed4f

:lol:

If only I didn't have the truck with all my stuff in it, I would totally move this way ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    kw18 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I have one cat that enjoys riding in the car...as long as he is outside of his carrier.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I have one cat that enjoys riding in the car...as long as he is outside of his carrier.

Yeah, I get the feeling that Danger would be totally OK with riding in a car if he was outside his carrier and got to look out a window and snuggle in my lap. But I don't want to take the chance of something happening and him getting hurt. So I guess I'm going to invest in some ear plugs ... :?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Yeah, I get the feeling that Danger would be totally OK with riding in a car if he was outside his carrier and got to look out a window and snuggle in my lap. But I don't want to take the chance of something happening and him getting hurt. So I guess I'm going to invest in some ear plugs ... :?

When I got my cat from the local animal shelter back in the day, they gave me this cardboard carrier to transport her home. The second I started to drive home it was "meow, meow, meow" in a screechy kitten voice. I felt bad, opened the box a bit and BOOM. She jumped right now and was crawling all over the car. Jumped up on the back on my seat, then to the back window. I couldn't grab her. I could see the people behind me at a red light laughing as she was sitting up in the back window.
    Now, she just sits on the towel scared. Amazing how they can change!
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: Nice try!

The funny thing is, this cat actually DOES like being in the car. Might have to call it "Crazy Cat". :lol:

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    brianlux wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: Nice try!

The funny thing is, this cat actually DOES like being in the car. Might have to call it "Crazy Cat". :lol:

toonces.jpg
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    polaris_x wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

i think that life doesn't always go as planned ... i would think twice about giving this cat/kitten back ...

yeah you never know. My cats are about 7 and 5 and still run around and are very playful. Can get annoying, espcially at night), but it's worth it :D

Play with him/her before you go to bed. Mine love laser pointers or this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrW8mENPA7pMSh67hfU1SYwYUYaoye1vIOrjx6amCj1Ltnuf5t
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD