Interesting Article

fsunoles30fsunoles30 Posts: 143
edited March 2013 in The Porch
What are your thoughts on the article titled "I'm not going to see Pearl Jam anymore', seminarians prepare for life as priests."? Article was published on NBCnews.com 3 hours ago.

Here is a quote from the article-"Danny Peterson, of Richmond, Va., knows most of his peers do not want to become men of the cloth. A surfer who studied international affairs, the 28-year-old used to pack an ice chest of beers for football games and concerts. No longer. “I’m not going to see Pearl Jam anymore,” Peterson says. “Those days are over.”

My initial thought was "Does this guy have a Wrigley ticket he is willing to part with for face?" :twisted:
BHAM 98
BHAM 03
ATLANTA 03
LOLLA 07
ROO 08
EV SOLO Memphis
EV SOLO ATL 1
Music Midtown Speptember 22, 2012
EV SOLO Memphis Nov. 21
WRIGLEY FIELD JULY 19...and 20!!! 2013

I will light a match this morning so I won't be alone
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fsunoles30fsunoles30 Posts: 143
    BHAM 98
    BHAM 03
    ATLANTA 03
    LOLLA 07
    ROO 08
    EV SOLO Memphis
    EV SOLO ATL 1
    Music Midtown Speptember 22, 2012
    EV SOLO Memphis Nov. 21
    WRIGLEY FIELD JULY 19...and 20!!! 2013

I will light a match this morning so I won't be alone
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I was curious if he has any vinyl...I bet he makes a buck or two selling his PJ stuff on his path to the cloth.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    maybe he wants to have a record burning just like they did with beatle records in the sixties in the south.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    I think it's just because Ed says a lot of "fuck"'s..
    He still will be allowed to see justin beiber
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I just posted this in the thread above yours but decided that if I'm going to be an aggressive prick over there, I might as well be one here too. Only fair.

He's free to do what he wants of course, but I hope he fails. I don't mean that personally, but professionally. I think the message of his organization is dangerous and I hope his and others like them continue to wilt and die off. Irrational thinking is the scourge of our species. The issue isn't about him giving up Pearl Jam. I couldn't care less about that. The issue is about him abandoning his previous life for that of a professional liar. I have zero respect for this guy's choice and I wish our culture would stop dishing out heaps of unearned praise to others like him.
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    october22 wrote:
    I just posted this in the thread above yours but decided that if I'm going to be an aggressive prick over there, I might as well be one here too. Only fair.

He's free to do what he wants of course, but I hope he fails. I don't mean that personally, but professionally. I think the message of his organization is dangerous and I hope his and others like them continue to wilt and die off. Irrational thinking is the scourge of our species. The issue isn't about him giving up Pearl Jam. I couldn't care less about that. The issue is about him abandoning his previous life for that of a professional liar. I have zero respect for this guy's choice and I wish our culture would stop dishing out heaps of unearned praise to others like him.
    This is your opinion. Let him have his and don't wish for anyone's failure! :nono:
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    october22 wrote:

This is your opinion. Let him have his and don't wish for anyone's failure! :nono:

Actually, nothing I wrote in that paragraph was opinion. The church is dangerous. That's not opinion. That is fact. And I don't see how posting in a message board is restricting him from having his opinion. Furthermore, I wish for the failure of thousands of people every day. And so do you. I said I hope he fails professionally. I wish the same for certain politicians and their organizations. I wish the same for the Klan. I wish the same for tyrannical governments, terrorist etc... It's time people stopped being such light-weight, fucking sweetie pies all the time and started thinking more clearly. The Fear of Offending won't solve any problems if it steps on our ability to call a spade a spade.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    october22 wrote:
    october22 wrote:

Actually, nothing I wrote in that paragraph was opinion. The church is dangerous. That's not opinion. That is fact. And I don't see how posting in a message board is restricting him from having his opinion. Furthermore, I wish for the failure of thousands of people every day. And so do you. I said I hope he fails professionally. I wish the same for certain politicians and their organizations. I wish the same for the Klan. I wish the same for tyrannical governments, terrorist etc... It's time people stopped being such light-weight, fucking sweetie pies all the time and started thinking more clearly. The Fear of Offending won't solve any problems if it steps on our ability to call a spade a spade.

Best thing I read anywhere today.

I concur.
  • More room on Mikes side for me!!
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    fsunoles30 wrote:

My initial thought was "Does this guy have a Wrigley ticket he is willing to part with for face?" :twisted:

:lol::lol:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    he is in good trades list tho... :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    ckravitz wrote:
    fsunoles30 wrote:

:lol::lol:

OR, he got shut out of Wrigley and decided to get on G*d's good side before the fall tour is announced.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    All organized religions can be dangerous but if he turns out to be a great community leader for his church and his town then more power to him. I've seen a lot of positives come from a lot of religions.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    october22 wrote:
    october22 wrote:

I like this guy. He speaks the truth
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    While I agree that any multinational organization that claims to have a mandate from God can be dangerous, perhaps his experiences in what I will term"reality" will help him lead the church in a positive direction. You don't know his life experience or opinions on issues, they may be very progressive. I guess what I am saying is that it is pretty silly to judge someone based on a few quotes in a NBC news online article. He who casts the first Stone and all.... ;)
  • dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    It doesn't mean that he is going to stop being a Pearl Jam fan. A Priest gives up wordly things including things he likes. It's a hard life and those who are successful can be a positive influence and help to many who need it. I hope he succeeds. After time in the Priesthood when he gets used to the whole thing he could change his mind and go see PJ again.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14