The Turn Out!!!!

whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
This thread is for all my fellow horse people!!! It's all horse sense here!!
Talk shop, shows an trail riding here!! Post me pics of your lovely
horses!! I have none at the moment, but here was the last one.. His name was
Devron, and he was a great horse!!
6BF626CE-200C-4E50-8E98-A31054195AAB-161-00000007F01D3567.jpg
I look forward to seeing the horses!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Horses are so beautiful! Unfortunately, I've only ridden three. The first one took off at a gallop for a couple hundred yards and scared me half to death. The ride lasted about 12 seconds. :shock:

A few years later I tried again. This second one just stood there and turned around and gave me a look that said, "What are you doing up on my back, loser?" :lol:

Several years later a third try. The third one was a sweet old girl named Maybe and she would have let a wild cougar ride on her as long as it promised not to bite. I rode her five or six times one summer and around the fourth time I told her, "Ok, I think I can deal with a little cantering." She stepped right up and even gave it a little more gas until she could feel my heart pound and then slowed it back down. That was fun!

Find me another one like that and I'll give it another go some time. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    brianlux wrote:
    Horses are so beautiful! Unfortunately, I've only ridden three. The first one took off at a gallop for a couple hundred yards and scared me half to death. The ride lasted about 12 seconds. :shock:

A few years later I tried again. This second one just stood there and turned around and gave me a look that said, "What are you doing up on my back, loser?" :lol:

Several years later a third try. The third one was a sweet old girl named Maybe and she would have let a wild cougar ride on her as long as it promised not to bite. I rode her five or six times one summer and around the fourth time I told her, "Ok, I think I can deal with a little cantering." She stepped right up and even gave it a little more gas until she could feel my heart pound and then slowed it back down. That was fun!

Find me another one like that and I'll give it another go some time. :D

They scare the crap out of me.

Hats off to Brian for trying?
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Horses are the ultimate example of Faith. Their situation is completely
    unique!! It's a situation where they ( the prey animal
    Find us the predators riding on their backs)! Yet, they still
    trust us to do right by them.. Greatest animals in the WORLD!!

Brian.. As a licensed riding instructor I always tell folks..
    The first three tries makes or breaks the experiences! I hope you
    Find two or three more 'Maybe's'cause when you do this to get away,
    Like I do,... It's a religious experience!! A good horse will go
    anywhere you point his head towards!! They will die for you!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Horses are so beautiful....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I know I have talked to fellow bores people on here.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We are looking at a home on 12 acres with a horse barn...
    my dream to love a horse or two before I leave this world. I'll be the one with the carrot :D
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    My ex-girlfriend shows Arabian Horses

That's about all I've got.

:lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pandora wrote:
    my dream to love a horse or two before I leave this world. I'll be the one with the carrot :D

Pandora.... i know you dont mean this to sounds dirty but.. :lol:
    pandora wrote:

:lol: how do you know I don't ;):lol:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    There's quite a horse culture here in south florida. I love to see them around. Out west in Wellington (where's G under P?), and north of me, in Jupiter... I see them walking along the roads.

I've never ridden one. We were supposed to do it on our honeymoon in costa rica, but found out that there was a weight limit, and I was 10 pounds over! :oops:

hahah, Binauraljam! :shifty:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

:lol: how do you know I don't ;):lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Well, it's your Dream
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Horse%20Meat%201.jpg?1322695485
    did you see me? i saw you.
    My wife bought me a lesson to learn how to ride for my birthday last year, i have 6 months more months to make the appointment. Kind of nervous about it.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206

Very nice photo... I do not own any horses but I did take 9 weeks of riding lessons yrs ago. I found it interesting everything involved before even getting on the horse.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    mikalina wrote:

Very nice photo... I do not own any horses but I did take 9 weeks of riding lessons yrs ago. I found it interesting everything involved before even getting on the horse.
    That is absolutely a necessary process!!! Like I said earlier. It is a very unique situation.
    You have to understand them and know how tbey work before
    you just climb aboard.. Ok that sounded dirty too. And PFP did your
    Ex show Orthodox, or just show as a breed. (Orthodox Arabian shows
    require the the horse and rider be in full traditional attire).
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    edited March 2013
    I did enjoy the entire process of brushing the horse and getting him ready for my lesson. It's also a great way of learning and getting to know the horse... l truly loved it and what a great workout.!! :D
    Post edited by mikalina_old on
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    My wife bought me a lesson to learn how to ride for my birthday last year, i have 6 months more months to make the appointment. Kind of nervous about it.

let me just say, there is a reason cowboys wear the tightest jeans they can find.

do not....i repeat, do not, wear boxers. get yourself some tighties whities or some boxer briefs or something that will hold everything tight. trust me on this.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pandora wrote:
    If you need any advice let me know ! I hope you can get the house!!
    Horses are the best and even 20 yearsater.. I still miss all of mine!
    81 wrote:

let me just say, there is a reason cowboys wear the tightest jeans they can find.

do not....i repeat, do not, wear boxers. get yourself some tighties whities or some boxer briefs or something that will hold everything tight. trust me on this.
    Yup!! In the horse world, we call this "packing high and tight".
    However if you know how to stay "centered" when riding even men
    could ride naked!! But please don't.. That horrifically nasty!!
    81 wrote:

Thanks, good to know.I keep procrastinating about it, but i would probably have fun.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

Thanks, good to know.I keep procrastinating about it, but i would probably have fun.

i did it once. it was a lot of fun, outside of the punching bag action :
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    even men

that souns like an aweful idea that would result in severe bruising.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Also!! Don't wear tennis shoes if at all possible! You don't have to go but any
    Dumbass cowboy boots, but you do want something with a heel to it.
    Hiking boot, construction boot.. Really nothing over a one inch heel
    Is NEEDED unless you're riding to work. Have fun and good luck!!
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Horses are the ultimate example of Faith. Their situation is completely
    unique!! It's a situation where they ( the prey animal
    Find us the predators riding on their backs)! Yet, they still
    trust us to do right by them.. Greatest animals in the WORLD!!

Brian.. As a licensed riding instructor I always tell folks..
    The first three tries makes or breaks the experiences! I hope you
    Find two or three more 'Maybe's 'cause when you do this to get away,
    Like I do,... It's a religious experience!! A good horse will go
    anywhere you point his head towards!! They will die for you!

I think every wants a Maybe. :D

I have hiking boots, but i'm curious,is this a Stir-up thing?
    81 wrote:
    even men

that souns like an aweful idea that would result in severe bruising.
    Awful idea yes, but the point was once you truly know how to
    ride a horse, yes, there's WAY more to it than just whoa and giddy-ap,
    You can wear what ever you like; however I do always advise that men
    Pack high and tight.. But I've worked with several cowboys that went
    commando.. Even knew this crazy bull rider who did that..
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    When I was a kid, I was obsessed with riding the ponies at the zoo. Since I was such a small kid, I could ride until I was in 2nd grade. Yeah, the oldest kid riding the ponies, but I was still the same size as the rest of the kids. :lol:

Been riding horses too. A friend actually bought a a chunk of land at a horse camp. So she leaves a trailer there and brings up the horses to ride the trails they built at the camp. I rode the thoroughbred around the trail.
    She has a Tennessee Walker too.

wish I knew more horse people, I like seeing the trails from a different vantage point.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

I have hiking boots, but i'm curious,is this a Stir-up thing?
    Damned straight!! Trust me, cause I've had this happen, you do NOT want
    your foot caught up in the stir-ups!! If you have to bail, and your foot
    gets caught, it's not going to be fun to be you!! Your feet should sit in the
    Stir-up as so. The back end of the balls of your feet should be what sits on
    the bridge if the Stir-up bell. (Most riding instructors won't teach you Ox-Bow
    until you're through with learning to ride entered, so you shouldn't have to
    worry about that! ) keep your heels down ( nothing extreme, just enough so that
    Your weight is in the stir-up and not so much in the saddle), and toes forward,
    Don't let yours heels or ankle "sink" or allow your toes to swing out.. This throws
    You off balance, and given the right movement can
    snap your ankle.. They teach you all this..
    RKCNDY wrote:
    When I was a kid, I was obsessed with riding the ponies at the zoo. Since I was such a small kid, I could ride until I was in 2nd grade. Yeah, the oldest kid riding the ponies, but I was still the same size as the rest of the kids. :lol:

Been riding horses too. A friend actually bought a a chunk of land at a horse camp. So she leaves a trailer there and brings up the horses to ride the trails they built at the camp. I rode the thoroughbred around the trail.
    She has a Tennessee Walker too.

wish I knew more horse people, I like seeing the trails from a different vantage point.
    I just put in an application to vunteer At a horse rescue out here. I can't wait to
    hear back from them!! TW are super awesome!! I love it when the get a good smooth
    Rack going! I got to ride one one time that was owned by Reba MacEntire!! ( I almost
    got to work for her but got shut out by a guy who had 22 yrs experience with gaited horses!!)
    This horse ran a 13 point Rack for a mile straight!! That's super hard core!! By the way.. I guess
    I should explain what Racking is.. Gaited horses move twice as much on the front end as they
    do off the back end... So that for every six "paddles" on the front end the horse takes two
    full steps off the back end.. This is called a 13 point Rack. It's quite fast and you barely
    feel the horse move.. But it is as you can imagine very strenuous to to the horse, this one
    Horse though; ROCKSTAR!!
    pandora wrote:
    If you need any advice let me know ! I hope you can get the house!!
    Horses are the best and even 20 yearsater.. I still miss all of mine!
    Thanks! Horses seem to like me fine as long as I don't get on them :lol:
    I give a frightened vibe I think. I just want to be friends.

I bet you miss them terribly, I can imagine that. A profound love I have a feeling.
    One I hope I'm blessed to know.

If the timing is right to buy the place, we have to sell our house first, we might
    be able to rescue or have an older horse needing a good home come live with us.
    We hear too often, of horses being mistreated that are taken away by animal control.
    We are very green though and would need a ton of advice but I would love to learn.