R.I.P. Sergio

carly316carly316 WI Posts: 332
edited March 2013 in The Porch
SERGIO AVENIA (Sept. 23, 1964 - March 5, 2013)

Sergio and I moved to Seattle from Missoula thirty years ago this May in my

yellow Dart filled with his drums and my bass gear and little else. When

I stopped to pick him up, his Mom gave us a giant bucket of home fried

chicken, gave him a teary kiss and off we went into the great unknown.

I was lucky to learn to play my instrument with a great musician like

Sergio. He motivated our band,Deranged Diction to be tight and professional,

and he gave an original jazzy sound to our basic hardcore structures.

Sergio was a huge talent, as good of an cartoonist, piano player and

tattoo artist as he was a drummer.

He enjoyed life as much as anybody I've ever known and I will always

carry that part of him with me.

I'll miss you, friend.

Jeff Ament

PS Say hello to Max Roach for the rest of us.

So sorry for your loss, Jeff. :cry:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    what a nice tribute, RIP
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    edited March 2013
    I had no idea Sergio was sick until me and my wife went to the Montana show and of all people the cab driver told me that his brother hung around them and played in a few side shows. From what he was saying it was pretty bad and I said a prayer for him and his family.

He was a great man. I didnt know at the time that he was sick when I emailed him after the 2009 S.D poster came out. ( Yes thats his poster) I told him that was my daughters favorite poster and could he sign it and draw in a little extra monster for her. She was down and having a hard time with her ilness and I asked if he could help lift her spirits.

Well when I found out in the cab ride that he was sick back then I nearly lost it. Because here was a guy in a tough spot and he went out of his way to cheer up a stranger. Not only did he sign the poster he drew her, Her own personal monster on a 8x10 that is hung in her room to this day. I dreed telling her the news.

I agree Sergio is a class act. Thats the way PJ rolls with such great people with great spirits. Because of people like Sergio is why PJ is still hear.

We love ya Sergio.
    R.I.P

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162448
    Thanks Dave :D
    Post edited by dwhite76 on
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    dwhite76 wrote:
    I had no idea Sergio was sick until me and my wife went to the Montana show and of all people the cab driver told me that his brother hung around them and played in a few side shows. From what he was saying it was pretty bad and I said a prayer for him and his family.

He was a great man. I didnt know at the time that he was sick when I emailed him after the 2009 S.D poster came out. ( Yes thats his poster) I told him that was my daughters favorite poster and could he sign it and draw in a little extra monster for her. She was down and having a hard time with her ilness and I asked if he could help lift her spirits.

Well when I found out in the cab ride that he was sick back then I nearly lost it. Because here was a guy in a tough spot and he went out of his way to cheer up a stranger. Not only did he sign the poster he drew her, Her own personal monster on a 8x10 that is hung in her room to this day. I dreed telling her the news.

I agree Sergio is a class act. Thats the way PJ rolls with such great people with great spirits. Because of people like Sergio is why PJ is still hear.

We love ya Sergio.
    R.I.P

He will live with you and your daughter forever:
  • carly316carly316 WI Posts: 332
    dwhite76 wrote:

We love ya Sergio.
    R.I.P

That's an amazing story. So sorry for your loss. It's nice that your daughter has that personal keepsake.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    Wow, way too young. Sounds like quite a guy.
    RIP.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Soooo sorry for the loss of your friend Jeff.

Prayers to the family and friends of Sergio.

Jim
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    rip man!
    danny d
    dwhite76 wrote:

We love ya Sergio.
    R.I.P

He will live with you and your daughter forever:

Thank you Dave for finding that.
  • bellosjambellosjam Posts: 288
    My two daughters love that poster as well! Soon after I got it framed my 8 -year-old starting putting her little drawings and school pictures on it. She started a tradition now in our family where we put pictures, concert tickets, buttons, etc. on or tucked-in the frame. Thank you Sergio for a piece of art that has become a focal point of our home.

I tried to post a pic but I don't think I'll ever figure out how to do that...
  • dwhite76 wrote:

We love ya Sergio.
    R.I.P

Thanks for this. Condolences to all who knew him. RIP Sergio.
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21
    mitchmuhs wrote:
    dwhite76 wrote:

We love ya Sergio.
    R.I.P

Thanks for this. Condolences to all who knew him. RIP Sergio.

It just shows why Pearl Jam is still around. They surround themselves with great people like Sergio.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    RIP
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Yes, great tribute. Max Roach- nice touch.

RIP.

Sorry for your loss, Jeff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    Thanks for sharing your tribute, Jeff. Musicians influencing musicians influencing musicians ad infinitum will ensure that great music can be remembered, created, and immortalized forever.

On a side note to anyone in the New Orleans' area this weekend, Jason Marsalis is performing a free tribute concert to Max Roach on Sunday.

Peaceful thoughts to all of Sergio's family and friends.
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    RIP Sergio